• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Poll: Preseason Conference Predictions & Expectations

Started by VU2014, September 05, 2018, 10:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Preseason Prediction: Where do you think Valpo will finish in the MVC this season?

EddieCabot

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on September 07, 2018, 11:54:09 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on September 07, 2018, 11:33:59 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 07, 2018, 11:24:54 AM
In what is expected to be a loaded MVC might that be good enough to get us into the NIT?

I think it depends on the OOC results. But the MVC's lowest RPI team was like a 160 something and ISUr still didn't get a invite to the NIT. So much disrespect. The conference really beat each other up in conference play last year.

And the ironic part to my mind is teams in the (say Horizon or other mid-major tournaments) might be more invested in playing hard and drawing a crowd since nothing is guaranteed in our world.  Maybe I am wrong here, but P6 schools almost certainly have a larger fan base but what are the chances they show up in volume to a tournament that is "below them"?

Also, NIT is a big enough tournament for mid-major players while maybe P6 seniors say "mehhhh, I am going to go prepare for NBA or Europe instead of playing in this tournament".  To my mind, most Valpo players have played the NIT and even CBI in the years that Valpo has elected to participate.

I believe Valpo had a mindset of it's a team vote and if the team votes Y then everyone plays?

I think you're generally correct, although I do recall an occasion where at least 1 player chose to skip a post season game and a few other times where the team appeared to be disinterested. 

M

I went 5th...not sold our coaching staff and roster is up to the task yet.  Counting on being proven wrong!

VU2014

Quote from: M on September 07, 2018, 12:20:48 PM
I went 5th...not sold our coaching staff and roster is up to the task yet.  Counting on being proven wrong!

I went 5th place as well. It seems like a reasonable target, but maybe we can finish 3rd or 4th if everything really comes together.

I'm going to be really monitoring the progress of the offense. This may be the first season we get see what a Lottich run offense looks like. His first season the offense had to run through AP (not a bad option but we were some what limited that season especially when AP got hurt) and Jubril missed most of the season. Last season the offense was heavily suppose to feature Joe Burton but we all know how that turned out once he left the team right before conference play started and Tevonn was never 100% healthy. Last season was rough but probably will pay dividends for guys like Golder, Bakari and Smits.

We think a lot of guys on this roster can/should take the next step but we need to see it on the court.

bbtds

6th, which I think is pretty much everyone else's 5th.

Team continuity plays a big part. Valpo needs a season for real team play to develop enough to finish in the top 4 of the MVC. That could be anywhere from 2 to 4 in 2019-20.

VUGrad1314

I can understand some early struggles from Freeman Sackey Lavender and Fazekas but we've got plenty of team continuity. Tevonn's sickness, Kiser's injury and  Burton's suspension forced many of our players into roles they weren't supposed to play yet. The dividends of that will begin to pay off. Freeman and Sackey are putting in a lot of work with the team Lavender is a grad transfer and should know what to do and Fazekas has had a year and two summers of practice. Continuity isn't an issue and it especially shouldn't be in 19-20. I think the best thing for our guards\wings is that they'll have two very talented players in Gordon and Robinson to go against in practice.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 07, 2018, 02:15:31 PM
I can understand some early struggles from Freeman Sackey Lavender and Fazekas but we've got plenty of team continuity. Tevonn's sickness, Kiser's injury and  Burton's suspension forced many of our players into roles they weren't supposed to play yet. The dividends of that will begin to pay off. Freeman and Sackey are putting in a lot of work with the team Lavender is a grad transfer and should know what to do and Fazekas has had a year and two summers of practice. Continuity isn't an issue and it especially shouldn't be in 19-20. I think the best thing for our guards\wings is that they'll have two very talented players in Gordon and Robinson to go against in practice.

Technically Fazekas was recovering from shoulder surgery from a injury he sustained while at Providence. I think that cost him last summer.

I know this is WAY to early to be talking about but I think Ryan might have a case for another year of eligibility with the NCAA, because he had a serious bout with mono his freshman year that cost him, but tried to play through it. And his last year at Providence he played through a shoulder injury that required surgery. He probably could have tried to take a RS but he played through it for the team. But as we all very well know around here the NCAA is idiotic from time to time (took K Carter's last year away from him) but they've been generous in times like Vashil's case.   

vu84v2

Fazekas played 28 games his Freshman year and 30 games in his Sophomore year. There is no way he gets another year (beyond the two remaining). Carter should have gotten another year because he played in three games for a total of 39 minutes.

vu84v2

For the 27 members predicting Valpo's finish - despite how 'abnormal' the predictors might be, the distribution of predictions looks very normal.

VU2014

Quote from: vu84v2 on September 07, 2018, 02:58:17 PM
Fazekas played 28 games his Freshman year and 30 games in his Sophomore year. There is no way he gets another year (beyond the two remaining). Carter should have gotten another year because he played in three games for a total of 39 minutes.

I wouldn't bet on it but I could see a case for protesting an additional year. He was really hampered by health issues his first couple years.

vusupporter

Quote from: VU2014 on September 07, 2018, 03:04:52 PM

I wouldn't bet on it but I could see a case for protesting an additional year. He was really hampered by health issues his first couple years.

You don't get a redshirt year because you played a full season, but you weren't 100%. Period. Full stop.

VU2014

Quote from: vusupporter on September 07, 2018, 03:45:32 PM

You don't get a redshirt year because you played a full season, but you weren't 100%. Period. Full stop.

It's not always as black and white as you'd think... but as I said it's probably unlikely.

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on September 07, 2018, 01:13:39 PMI'm going to be really monitoring the progress of the offense. This may be the first season we get see what a Lottich run offense looks like. His first season the offense had to run through AP (not a bad option but we were some what limited that season especially when AP got hurt) and Jubril missed most of the season. Last season the offense was heavily suppose to feature Joe Burton but we all know how that turned out once he left the team right before conference play started and Tevonn was never 100% healthy. Last season was rough but probably will pay dividends for guys like Golder, Bakari and Smits.

Well said VU2014. So much of a season's outcome depends on injuries, suspensions and depth.  Last years team was built around Burton and Tevonn and as VU2014 stated that team never played a conference game. With Burton and a healthy Tevonn last years team at least ties Bradley at 9-9 for fourth place an improvement of only 3 W's.  One of last years other adversities was preparation and play against 9 unfamiliar teams in for the most part unfamiliar or maybe I should say less familiar venues. I believe this challenge was very apparent especially in the first half of the conference season. We should be much more prepare for the beginning of conference this year. Barring significant roster changes or injuries this should be a top 4 team.

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

It's just so hard to justify picking a team that finished last so high in a year where the conference is so tremendously loaded. That said there's a reasonable argument that can be made that the we're more talented than Bradley deeper than SIU especially if Bol doesn't play and are better coached than Illinois State. However, those teams all got a taste of the ARC and what it's like last year. You'd think they'll be better prepared for that next year. It won't be easy but nothing worth having or pursuing is. That's the beauty of the MVC. I hope we're up to the challenge. Go Valpo!

mvredbird

Quote from: VU2014 on September 07, 2018, 08:36:19 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on September 07, 2018, 02:58:17 PMFazekas played 28 games his Freshman year and 30 games in his Sophomore year. There is no way he gets another year (beyond the two remaining). Carter should have gotten another year because he played in three games for a total of 39 minutes.
It's not always as black and white as you'd think... but as I said it's probably unlikely.
It's pretty black and white. You can't play in more than 30% of the games in the season and it must be considered a season ending injury.

VU2014

They make exceptions for kids with varying circumstances/situations. The NCAA is inconsistent on petitions for extra years of eligibility. I'm not saying it's likely. All I said is it's possible. Let's just drop it, because it's not relevant right now.

Also, welcome to the forum mvredbird.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: mvredbird on September 08, 2018, 03:12:34 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on September 07, 2018, 08:36:19 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on September 07, 2018, 02:58:17 PMFazekas played 28 games his Freshman year and 30 games in his Sophomore year. There is no way he gets another year (beyond the two remaining). Carter should have gotten another year because he played in three games for a total of 39 minutes.
It's pretty black and white. You can't play in more than 30% of the games in the season and it must be considered a season ending injury.

That's been my understanding as well.

VU2014

With 31 votes in over 60% say that we will finish either 4th or 5th.

VU2014

MVC fan rankings are taking place on the MVCFan board right now. The voting is for 8th place right now.

https://www.mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5084

8th...
9th...Drake
10th...evansville

wh

VUGrad1314

I have to say... I was not encouraged by the observations from the open practice posted in another thread. If he's right this year could be another rough one.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 12, 2018, 11:24:07 PM
I have to say... I was not encouraged by the observations from the open practice posted in another thread. If he's right this year could be another rough one.

Can you elaborate? Who posted about a open practice? What was said? Does it look like the team has no cohesion or chemistry? This is concerning if it's the case.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on October 13, 2018, 12:02:44 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 12, 2018, 11:24:07 PMI have to say... I was not encouraged by the observations from the open practice posted in another thread. If he's right this year could be another rough one.
Can you elaborate? Who posted about a open practice? What was said? Does it look like the team has no cohesion or chemistry? This is concerning if it's the case.

The following comes from Chairback in the MBB 2018-19 thread...

Quote from: Chairback on October 12, 2018, 09:22:25 PM The season ticket night was a dull event. Not much planning went into it to make it fun. A very seasoned crowd. It's like they had it to just have it. Here are my 2 cents: -I don't have the enthusiasm for the team that I had after seeing them at this "practice". They seem to lack a leader. They look just average. Almost a mix up of players who haven't found their way anywhere else and ended up at Valpo. - Sackey is fast but his shoot is below average -Mileek looks like the best player on the court. Kid looks focused. excited to see him progress. -Javon should start. -stalling has an awkward odd looking shot. Almost like he was never taught how to shoot correctly. I can't see him getting any PT ever. -if our bigs have another season like last year we are in trouble.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 13, 2018, 12:16:27 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on October 13, 2018, 12:02:44 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 12, 2018, 11:24:07 PMI have to say... I was not encouraged by the observations from the open practice posted in another thread. If he's right this year could be another rough one.

The following comes from Chairback in the MBB 2018-19 thread...

Quote from: Chairback on October 12, 2018, 09:22:25 PM
The season ticket night was a dull event. Not much planning went into it to make it fun. A very seasoned crowd. It's like they had it to just have it. Here are my 2 cents:
-I don't have the enthusiasm for the team that I had after seeing them at this "practice". They seem to lack a leader. They look just average. Almost a mix up of players who haven't found their way anywhere else and ended up at Valpo.
- Sackey is fast but his shoot is below average
-Mileek looks like the best player on the court. Kid looks focused. excited to see him progress.
-Javon should start.
-stalling has an awkward odd looking shot. Almost like he was never taught how to shoot correctly. I can't see him getting any PT ever.
-if our bigs have another season like last year we are in trouble.

Question: Was this more of a showcase for fans or a legit practice? Were the guys actually playing hard and doing real drills and scrimmaging? Seeing the dunking makes it seem like more of a showcase but I wasn't there so I don't know.

It's really encouraging to hear Mileek is looking strong and that Javon looks legit. We need to see how they look against live competition before we can fully assess.

AranJacobs

It was basically a shootaround. Nothing near a legitimate practice.

humbleopinion

I attended the open practice, and I really don't think that much can be predicted based on what we saw.  The men were out first messing around shooting dunks (Coach Townsend was setting the bar throwing it down while wearing khakis).  When the women came out there were some three point shooting contests.  When the women competed against the men in the three-point contest, the women won.  Then they had mixed team competition.  Javon at one point hit six consecutive threes.  There was no defense played. 

I really believe that we'll need to wait for an exhibition game to get a hint of what the team brings to the table, but that will only be a hint given the level of the competition.
Beamin' Beacons