• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #8 Drake @ Valpo 1pm

Started by JD24, October 21, 2018, 02:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Drake brings their 1 loss in league team to Brown Field. Had blip vs. Stetson. Do we see a re-blip with Drake looking ahead to their league title matchup vs. San Diego the week after Valpo?

Drake is #1 in the league in defense and #4 in offense. Valpo is 8th in defense and 6th in offense

usc4valpo

It has been awhile since Valpo has won over Drake, and it will not happen here. Drake 34 Valpo 24

JD24

Drake's league defensive score against so far is 9, 6, 23, and 17. If Valpo scores 24 against them it will be quite an accomplishment.

If Drake scores mid-30's I don't think Valpo has any much of a shot at winning.

The good news is that the following week the defense goes up against Marist and Justin Christian who's had over 230 yds receiving in two of his last 3 games.

vu72

So the two-deeps are out and so are Turner, J D-M, Boxrucker and Cartales!  :(   Also, it appears that Jimmy is not going to red-shirt as he is listed.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on October 23, 2018, 09:27:09 AM
So the two-deeps are out and so are Turner, J D-M, Boxrucker and Cartales!  :(   Also, it appears that Jimmy is not going to red-shirt as he is listed.

:(   :(   :(

JD24

I wouldn't look at the two deep as any indicator of who is going to play and who isn't. At the time the two deep is released and coach does his weekly chat with Todd, the team hasn't even practiced for the week of the game. If I were the coach, I'd put Seewald's name in there as well just to keep the opponent guessing.

It's only if he plays that is the determinant as to whether he's still eligible for a redshirt year. JDM was not on the two deep last week and played Saturday. Not sure what could have happened to Boxrucker. He was in there through the final offensive play and didn't appear injured at all.

usc4valpo

It's game day at the Mecca of college football - beautiful Brown Field! It much discussion about this game.

JD24

30-20 Drake and I'm trying to be optimistic.

JD24

Per Todd...Seewald done for season. Duncan capable and looking good so far. Help from WRs is needed at times.

RBs using Markoff at RB as well as Early.

Tough going on the ground. OL getting devoured by Drake in the running game so far.

Rene injured and apparently now out as of 1st q.

JD24

21-10 early in 3rd. Nice drive to open 2nd half

JD24

JD24

JD24

JD24

valpofb16

Devoured by injuries this season

Tough for Snouffer , Norberg, Schofied, Rentschler, Sutter, Rene those guys were integral parts of winning success at Valpo

We started two freshman dbs in secondary Sherman and Scarsella

JDM hard concussion year, Turner may be redshirting, Jimmy is

Hats off to the seniors for the turnaround of the program, with the short camp, full scholarship ooc schedule, injury bug was a tough season

I still support Cecchini and his efforts. Hard to win with Cartales, Boxrucker, Maceo out

I feel for the seniors and hope a vast majority of redshirt juniors return

JD24

Todd mentioned that Cartales is out for the season as well.

usc4valpo

This has been one bust of a season. Yes, they have had injuries, but so do all teams, and the backups need to step up. 1 and 7 is unacceptable.

JD24

Even playing at 100% and being undefeated in the league to this point, this would have been a very difficult game to win.

I do have some concerns moving forward after this season at some positions but this isn't a game to make proclamations upon.

usc4valpo

Agreed, but I thought fb16 was a little soft in his assessment.

VULB#62

I seem to always be late to the dance this year. Sorry.

Living up to my "technically, the glass is full"  theme, I will attempt to put a silver lining spin on this last defeat.

:)  Chris threw for over 300 yards against one of the best Ds in the PFL (who did have 3 pics  :().
:)  losing by 17 to the team that will duke it out for the PFL championship is no embarrassment 
:)  We are giving some kids who wouldn't have seen a lot of action more action than anticipated
:)  Hopefully, Jimmy and Nick decide to return next year
:)  Hopefully, the coaches gained added experience dealing with the PFL environment (i.e., adjusting their schemes to be able to more consistantly win at the level we ar at).
:)  And I am sure there are more  :)s but I need to give it more thought.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 27, 2018, 04:26:58 PMThis has been one bust of a season. Yes, they have had injuries, but so do all teams, and the backups need to step up. 1 and 7 is unacceptable.
Quote from: usc4valpo on October 27, 2018, 04:59:21 PMAgreed, but I thought fb16 was a little soft in his assessment.
I think, with injuries, there should be two perspectives. One is from the fan and the other the coaches and players and I have two different angles.

Coaches. First, it is good to hear the coaches (as Miran did at halftime) express out loud that they need to do a better job of coaching. On the other hand, while a coach can bring up injuries, I don't think the focus that Cecchini is putting on them helps anyone other than coming across as "what do you want us to do". He should mention them quickly and move on.

Fans. One of the great Fanspeak-isms is "everybody has injuries and injuries shouldn't matter". The biggest pile of bs we've ever been fed.

Valpo was without a starting DL. A starting all League Lber. One of his backups was injured early. Both starting CBs are out. A starting (and in my opinion All PFL) safety is out and his backup is out. That player plays in nickel defense sometimes when 3 Safeties are used.

That's just the defense.

The starting QB (who received support as All PFL last season) is out. The starting RB (and in my opinion the best player on offense) is out. The 2nd string RB is out. The 3rd string RB is out. Valpo is playing a QB at RB. The 2nd best (or best) WR was injured early in the first quarter.

Injuries do matter. It is very difficult to win games with this many injuries no matter who the team is. Take the equivalent players off Drake's gameday roster and they'd have the same issue.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 27, 2018, 06:24:54 PMI seem to always be late to the dance this year. Sorry. Living up to my "technically, the glass is full"  theme, I will attempt to put a silver lining spin on this last defeat. :)  Chris threw for over 300 yards against one of the best Ds in the PFL (who did have 3 pics).
At least one of the picks wasn't his fault. Can't recall who it was but either Fox or Gessinger ran the wrong route on one pick.

Quotelosing by 17 to the team that will duke it out for the PFL championship is no embarrassment :) 
10 point game with the ball with 4 mins left.

usc4valpo

JD24 - ok, so the injuries are a result of a 1-7 season? It also seems that this barage of injuries is strange.

Note that Valpo lost to Truman St. and Davidson and they were not as disabled then as they are today. Also, where is the player development which is needed in these situations?

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 27, 2018, 09:51:38 PMJD24 - ok, so the injuries are a result of a 1-7 season? It also seems that this barage of injuries is strange. Note that Valpo lost to Truman St. and Davidson and they were not as disabled then as they are today.
This is true. The team has underperformed but that wasn't the case today.

QuoteAlso, where is the player development which is needed in these situations?
You really think player development is going to drag underclassmen to fill the starting positions and players in particular I listed? There are very few teams which can survive the number of injuries and to the players in particular as Valpo has experienced this season. That's at any level. You really need some perspective because you're really lacking it in this case.

usc4valpo

jD24 - ok, you have a point, but it is more than injuries that Valpo is 1 - 7. Everyone needs to be held accountable.