• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #9 Valpo @ Marist 11/3 12:00

Started by VULB#62, October 28, 2018, 12:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Listening to Todd and Brandon and I'm not sure what game they were watching but somehow Valpo has outplayed Marist in this game. At least according to them. In other words, if we take out all the bad plays Valpo made, we were right in this game. That is putting lipstick on a pig at its best. Both teams had ample opportunity with the ball being in opponents territory a good portion of the second half but neither team could do much with it. Valpo scores late when Marist was playing off.

JD24

Quote from: Deets on November 03, 2018, 01:56:10 PMOur offensive play calling sucks and really doesn't give our offense a chance.  Running up the middle never works.  Running to the right usually results in a positive gain.  But do  we always have to throw bombs instead of just getting a first down?
It's a point to be made however Boxrucker isn't running outside. It's not his game. Cartales is the best skill player on offense and he's out which really hurts. I don't know where Elias Early was today. He's got a bit of speed and I think the best freshman back is hurt as well. So, unless they aren't going to run the ball at all, they run between the tackles. Markoff is used to get the ball outside.

Then again, maybe Valpo needs some better OL play.

JD24

....and we're back to blaming the players.....by name. Let's make no mistake about who we're talking about. Maybe we should call out coach Moore for going into his 5th or 6th season of not being able to stop a team at the end of a half or end of a game.

usc4valpo

I like Todd and he has been loyal in his profession. He has part of many, many long football season, and he has my respect. However, he does not get critical.

This season could not end soon enough.

JD24

From the recap. In fact the opening of the recap:
QuoteThe Valparaiso University football team overcame a rocky end to the first half with a second-half comeback effort for the third consecutive week, but Marist pulled out a 35-24 victory on Saturday in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. Valpo incurred another close defeat, coming up just shy against a team that is tied for second in the Pioneer Football League standings and has only one league loss.

"close defeat"; "just shy"?????

Marist was up 28-10 at the half and was up by 18 with 6 minutes to go and Valpo didn't get within 11 in the second half. In what world is this close or just shy unless your pandering to your audience.

mila

Pandering is the exact word I was considering. Even on the post game show, it sounded as if we had just lost by a hair. However, this has gone on all season.  If you go back and read the pre games and then the recaps the school is really playing it soft with the coaching staff. Even their constant reminders of the previous regimes lack of success(only three wins in the previous 3 years ALL AGAINST THE SAME TEAM) seems to be aimed at propping up this staff at all costs. AND AS AN ADDENDUM all teams are beat up and missing key components at this time of the season. You recruit for these type of situations.

usc4valpo

Valpo dropped to #250 in the Sagarin, but the good news is that they are 4 point favorites over Jacksonville next week!!! Go Saders and stay out of the bottom 5!!!!

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 04, 2018, 10:25:23 AMValpo dropped to #250 in the Sagarin, but the good news is that they are 4 point favorites over Jacksonville next week!!! Go Saders and stay out of the bottom 5!!!!
Likely won't have to worry about any pass defense next week. Play 11 LBers.

VULB#62

Quote from: JD24 on November 04, 2018, 04:36:19 PM

:rotfl:

Do we have 11???

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 05, 2018, 11:31:47 AM
Quote from: JD24 on November 04, 2018, 04:36:19 PM

:rotfl:

Do we have 11???

Yep. I counted 17!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015