• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Clash with Concordia - 11/6/18, 7pm, ESPN3

Started by crusadermoe, November 02, 2018, 08:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

I hope Mileek gets to go back to playing the 4 and only go 5 from time to time for match up reasons when/if Jay returns.

That Golder dunk was special.  JFL is sooo smooth out there.

Still saw a few times where guys didn't know where to go on the offensive end. One that sticks out had Smits and Golder both trying to post up within a foot or two of each other in the first half.

Still, good to not see our name on a Ken Pomeroy post after night one.

(Side note: nobody is beating Duke this year)

IndyEIT777

Definitely concerning to see Mileek struggle yesterday. I understand he's not a true 5, but he still had a big size/athletic advantage.

Solely based on yesterday's game, I think JFL and Sackey look more comfortable on the court as freshman than any of last year's class looked at any point. Hopefully they continue that trend heading into Myrtle Beach.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 07, 2018, 09:17:19 AM
On another topic, I wasn't aware until I read the game Recap that CUC was playing this only as an exhibtion.  We gotta stop scheduling like  that.

Does this really impact anything?  It looked like they were trying their best, not just going through the motions like some teams do in exhibitions.  Does this change how the game is evaluated by the NCAA's new NET System?

IrishDawg

Quote from: EddieCabot on November 07, 2018, 11:54:33 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on November 07, 2018, 09:17:19 AM
On another topic, I wasn't aware until I read the game Recap that CUC was playing this only as an exhibtion.  We gotta stop scheduling like  that.

Does this really impact anything?  It looked like they were trying their best, not just going through the motions like some teams do in exhibitions.  Does this change how the game is evaluated by the NCAA's new NET System?

Like the old system, this game won't count under NET.

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on November 07, 2018, 01:29:23 AM
I agree that something has to be up with Jay.  If someone is injured, they are always on the bench.

I was surprised there wasn't any question in the postgame conference about the missing Jay. This issue appears to be the elephant in the room that nobody seems to want to acknowledge or address. In fact, when I had my cereal at breakfast I looked on the milk carton to see if Jay's photo was on it.

VU2014

Maybe the exhibition and the Concordia game were his 2 game suspension. They may just not want to address it publicly because they don't want to resurface the incident. That's my best guess.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on November 07, 2018, 03:51:04 PM
Maybe the exhibition and the Concordia game were his 2 game suspension. They may just not want to address it publicly because they don't want to resurface the incident. That's my best guess.

Was there another incident?  I remember J sitting out two games last season, but hadn't heard about any additional issues.

I have no reason to doubt the information the university has shared.  If something else is going on, I'm sure that Paul or the radio guy would have that information.

EddieCabot

Quote from: IndyEIT777 on November 07, 2018, 09:44:10 AM
Definitely concerning to see Mileek struggle yesterday. I understand he's not a true 5, but he still had a big size/athletic advantage.

Solely based on yesterday's game, I think JFL and Sackey look more comfortable on the court as freshman than any of last year's class looked at any point. Hopefully they continue that trend heading into Myrtle Beach.

Coach Lottich was right about the team being extra focused after the disappointment against UIndy.  Great performances up and down the roster!

VU2014

Quote from: EddieCabot on November 07, 2018, 04:05:10 PM

Was there another incident?  I remember J sitting out two games last season, but hadn't heard about any additional issues.

I have no reason to doubt the information the university has shared.  If something else is going on, I'm sure that Paul or the radio guy would have that information.

I thought Jay was going to sit out the first 2 games of this season. I don't think he sat out last season.

I wish they'd just address it publicly. By not talking about why he isn't on the bench just leads people to speculate. And with all the weird occurrences that have happened to this program the last few years they can't blame the fan-base for wondering or speculating.

VUBBFan

Quote from: VU2014 on November 07, 2018, 04:11:09 PMI thought Jay was going to sit out the first 2 games of this season. I don't think he sat out last season. I wish they'd just address it publicly. By not talking about why he isn't on the bench just leads people to speculate. And with all the weird occurrences that have happened to this program the last few years they can't blame the fan-base for wondering or speculating.

Unless there is another incident that I am unaware of, Jay sat out the first two games of last year against North Park and Trinity Christian. Micah is the one facing a suspension this year.

bbtds

It was discussed last year that J should sit out several different games that were offered up by different posters but he never sat out his 2 games. Lottich has always had the option of having Sorolla sit out the most meaningless games this season. Although, I agree that Paul or Todd would probably pass this info along but maybe the coaching staff asked the media guys not to mention it. Soon we will all know.

VUBBFan

https://www.chicagotribune.com/#nt=mastheadnavbar

Been trying to down load this image but could not get it to print, but if you click on the link this is the story from the Post Trib saying Jay along with Joe sat out two games last year.

VUBBFan

Quote from: VUBBFan on November 07, 2018, 05:15:43 PMhttps://www.chicagotribune.com/#nt=mastheadnavbar Been trying to down load this image but could not get it to print, but if you click on the link this is the story from the Post Trib saying Jay along with Joe sat out two games last year.

Crap, @#@#$. Still can't get the right image but google Jaume Sorolla suspension and you can get the article

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on November 07, 2018, 04:11:09 PM

I thought Jay was going to sit out the first 2 games of this season. I don't think he sat out last season.

I wish they'd just address it publicly. By not talking about why he isn't on the bench just leads people to speculate. And with all the weird occurrences that have happened to this program the last few years they can't blame the fan-base for wondering or speculating.

Dug up this post from a year ago ...

Quote from: agibson on November 06, 2017, 03:46:37 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on November 06, 2017, 02:26:22 PM
We all knew Sorolla was caught underage drinking, but I was unaware Joe Burton was with him. Can anyone confirm that Joe Burton is sitting out the first 2 games also? This is the first I'm hearing about this.
https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/927603722729021440

I feel bad digging around re students' records. But, it is public record.

Joe's case does seem to be around the same time
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/porter-county-crime-times/article_149874d8-2549-502a-9197-1019a08f5640.html

He was apparently already 21 (possession of marijuana).

And here's Sorolla
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/porter-county-crime-times/article_3a027504-b2f2-58ea-8c42-0ddc7c2cc9c9.html

so, from the dates, it looks like two separate incidents. And that Burton's case somehow escaped attention.

VU2014

I stand corrected. Maybe I mixed up my suspensions.

VU2014

MEN'S BASKETBALL: Valparaiso freshman Freeman-Liberty brings instant impact
Robbie Weinstein robert.weinstein@nwi.com
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/rwweinstein/status/1060388734347165696

EddieCabot

Quote from: EddieCabot on November 07, 2018, 04:07:54 PM
Coach Lottich was right about the team being extra focused after the disappointment against UIndy.  Great performances up and down the roster!

I was bored, so made a quick visit to the record book.  The 121-65 win tied for the 4th highest single game scoring output in Valpo history!  In addition, the 56 point margin of victory ranks 7th all-time.  Great job by the team to keep playing hard for the entire game.  After letting Concordia crawl within 20 points mid-way through the 2nd half, Valpo really turned it on to finish on a 49-13 run over the last 12 minutes. 

VUBBFan

Quote from: VU2014 on November 07, 2018, 04:11:09 PMI wish they'd just address it publicly. By not talking about why he isn't on the bench just leads people to speculate. And with all the weird occurrences that have happened to this program the last few years they can't blame the fan-base for wondering or speculating.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1062080358362038273

justducky

Quote from: wh on November 12, 2018, 08:01:41 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on November 12, 2018, 02:46:00 PM
https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/1062080048419799041

https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/1062079227703541761

I'm anxious to see what both players bring to the party.

Given their injuries I wouldn't expect either to bring much to the Myrtle Beach party but I am expecting solid improvements from both. My hunch is that Micah, Jay and especially Derrik are all sick and tired of being referred to as a bunch of Caitlyn Jenner wannabes. All should be poised and anxious to start proving their manhood. :twocents:

VU2014

Quote from: justducky on November 12, 2018, 09:15:54 PM
Quote from: wh on November 12, 2018, 08:01:41 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on November 12, 2018, 02:46:00 PM
https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/1062080048419799041

https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/1062079227703541761

I'm anxious to see what both players bring to the party.

Given their injuries I wouldn't expect either to bring much to the Myrtle Beach party but I am expecting solid improvements from both. My hunch is that Micah, Jay and especially Derrik are all sick and tired of being referred to as a bunch of Caitlyn Jenner wannabes. All should be poised and anxious to start proving their manhood. :twocents:

I'm curious as to how much outside noise the team hears. There is a definitely a narrative that has been built about certain guys. I sort of hope the team doesn't read this board because it can't be healthy to hear all the criticism and praise they get.

I was listening to Paul's latest podcast and he had Erik Buggs on he was mentioning how the players these days read and hear everything.