• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at UNLV Nov 28 9:30 CST

Started by justducky, November 25, 2018, 01:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FWalum on November 28, 2018, 06:50:39 AM
The griping is on MVCfans.com, the MVC fan forum.

Ok, let's say that the teams of the gripping fans are legit and are superior to Valpo the last 15-years.  Let's make a list of programs that have equaled or exceeded our success in that time . . .

Teams With More Success
1) Loyola (one single year - moon shot)
2) UNI?
3) Illinois State?

I am only starting the conversation because there are those of you who have a better idea on this subject (and more time probably).  I suppose what I am getting at is that fans complaining is "noise in the channel" and should be ignored.  YEAR 2 gentleman is NOT the year to determine a teams legitimacy in a new conference . . .

I am fairly certain that Loyola was seen as FAR more deficient at the time of their joining then our program.  I don't expect we are Final Four bound any time soon, but the comparison exists.

NativeCheesehead

For those of us with realistic expectations, this was always a 3 year plan:

Year 1 - Acclimate to new style and arenas, try to be as competitive as possible, win a game or two we shouldn't. (check)
Year 2 - Compete night in and night out. Defend home court, win a couple on the road.
Year 3 - Compete for the top spot with a senior loaded team.

Now if we go into St. Louis having to play on Thursday this year, and especially if we play on Thursday and lose, we have to take a serious look at how the program is doing and whether we have the right coach for the job.

VU2014

Quote from: FWalum on November 28, 2018, 06:50:39 AM
The griping is on MVCfans.com, the MVC fan forum.

The same people griping about us were the same people groaning about Loyola for 4 years til last year. I'm not saying we'll go on a F4 run but we'll be better when we have a full recruiting cycle of being in the MVC. I think we have a talented team but we need to get fully healthy and get Jay back.

Did anyone see that the SIU beat reporter ranked us last? Smh

oklahomamick

Loyola never dominated the HL as we did.  They eventually won a MVC championship.....Should give us some confidence that it can be done. 
CRUSADERS!!!

may know

Where's the griping on the MVC Forum about Valpo's contributions to the conference? Just searched "Valpo" and can't find anything. In fact, they picked Valpo 5th preseason.

vu72

Basketball notwithstanding, the Commissioner has pointed out that academics will play a larger role in the pie split and that Valpo will have a very positive effect in that regard.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

SanityLost17

5 games tonight in the MVC/MWC challenge...Lots of them road games for the MVC.
2 games Saturday both being home games for the MVC
MVC currently with 2-1 advantage   

Who ya got in the rest of the games and which conference wins the challenge? 

VUGrad1314

Quote from: may know on November 28, 2018, 12:41:18 PMWhere's the griping on the MVC Forum about Valpo's contributions to the conference? Just searched "Valpo" and can't find anything. In fact, they picked Valpo 5th preseason.

It was an Illinois State fan saying we've "done nothing" for the conference when they were talking about the new rankings. There have been other instances in the past. It shouldn't ruffle my feathers as much as it did I just hate seeing my school put down in any way

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 28, 2018, 02:12:09 PM
Quote from: may know on November 28, 2018, 12:41:18 PMWhere's the griping on the MVC Forum about Valpo's contributions to the conference? Just searched "Valpo" and can't find anything. In fact, they picked Valpo 5th preseason.

It was an Illinois State fan saying we've "done nothing" for the conference when they were talking about the new rankings. There have been other instances in the past. It shouldn't ruffle my feathers as much as it did I just hate seeing my school put down in any way

Illinois State hasn't even been to an NCAA tournament in over 20 years ... they probably shouldn't be pointing fingers. 

may know

Thanks, found it. It was a 7 paragraph post dissecting where MVC teams stood in the ratings. This is the final paragraph and only mention:

"If the conference as a whole wants to improve, it has to start here. Evansville has had a pretty tough schedule to this point, but has done nothing with it. Valpo has just done nothing. Really need the bottom to pick it up."

Again, this was just 1 mention in 1 paragraph of 7 in a post strictly about this year's ratings. Most people probably glossed over it. I wouldn't let that ruffle your feathers.

The statement is invalid anyway because of Evansville's 85-63 win over TSU who beat 2 P5s/1 T25. Better win than anything ILST's got.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: EddieCabot on November 28, 2018, 02:26:45 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 28, 2018, 02:12:09 PM
Illinois State hasn't even been to an NCAA tournament in over 20 years ... they probably shouldn't be pointing fingers.

To be fair the two schools' situations haven't exactly been comparable until recently. Theoretically it's easier to rack up titles and tournament appearances from lower conferences. That said you would think a program that has had the benefit of being in a multibid league with in-conference home and homes with Creighton Wichita State as well as  SIU Bradley and UNI at peak strength over those years would be able to play their way into the dance once. Meanwhile we handled one step up already and eventually figured out how to beat our chief rival and dominated once they left. I know 15-16 Valpo gets in from the MVC and may have even been good enough to win it that year. Your argument holds a lot of merit he probably shouldn't be pointing fingers.

justducky

Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 28, 2018, 01:23:12 PM
5 games tonight in the MVC/MWC challenge...Lots of them road games for the MVC.
2 games Saturday both being home games for the MVC
MVC currently with 2-1 advantage   

Who ya got in the rest of the games and which conference wins the challenge? 

I'll say Wyoming over Evansville @ E-ville
ISU-b over San Jose St @SJS
Utah St over Northern Iowa @ US

The balance VU @ UNLV,   MSU @ Air Force, New Mexico @ Bradley, and San Diego St @ ISU-r  I will call tossups. Home court is so important that the Valley will probably end up again at 5-5. A win by Valpo tonight would really help the cause.  :thumbsup:

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

nkvu

Anyone else getting picture but no sound?

vu72

RS

sliman

Have picture and sound.  Good quality both.   On the floor, UNLV quickness is an issue but they've made enough TOs that we're staying even with them.  Clearly won't get any breaks from the officials.

SanityLost17

UNLV hitting ALL of their midrange jump shots, which happens to be one of the harder shots in the game.   

I am worries that we had too high of expectations of Fazekas.  His lack of athletic ability shows on that missed layup, getting blocked a few times, and traveling on trying to get open for a 3.

PlumStreetBum

At what point do we admit that Fazekas just isn't a good shooter? Frustrating to hear him referred to like he can score when he's playing this poorly

sliman

Fazekas seems to get easily frustrated, something I didn't see watching him on TV with Providence.  Perhaps he's putting too much pressure on himself.  We also need Golder to quit trying to do too much and stop posing/trying to intimidate and missing an acrobatic move when a simple layup would work.  We looked baffled by the full court trap. They get instant offense and we work like heck.

VU2014

Quote from: sliman on November 28, 2018, 10:12:50 PM
Fazekas seems to get easily frustrated, something I didn't see watching him on TV with Providence.  Perhaps he's putting too much pressure on himself.  We also need Golder to quit trying to do too much and stop posing/trying to intimidate and missing an acrobatic move when a simple layup would work.  We looked baffled by the full court trap. They get instant offense and we work like heck.

I've also noticed that. It looks like he's putting a lot of pressure on himself. Maybe he feels he needs to more of "The Guy" or more pressure to produce here at Valpo then he did at Providence. He not be knocking down shots consistently in the early going this season but he's still playing well in other parts of the game. I'm not too worried. I think he'll get it going eventually.

nkvu

Thought we were going to be blown out for a while, but they turned the ball over enough to allow us back in the game. Now if we can get a few outside shots to drop we could win this thing. Fazekas needs to get off the bagel and make something.

VU2014

Quote from: RS on November 28, 2018, 09:52:43 PM
no picture or sound here also

You may need to use a different browser.

SanityLost17

UNLV also shot 60% from the field in the 1st half.  As I said earlier, a lot of those were mid range jumpers, but we also let them get to the rim a lot.  Need to play better defense.