• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Illinois State - 1/2

Started by VU2010, December 29, 2018, 09:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

I'm psyched for this game. Time to make our presence felt in the MVC. LETS GO VALPO!

M

Scouting night at the ARC should help bring in a few extra families.

VALPO LI

GAME DAY Y'ALL!!!!!
GO CRUSADERS!!!!!!!
LET'S OWN THIS VALLEY
Shine on Vu

humbleopinion

As I have complained about coverage in The Times, I want to acknowledge the preview from today's paper.  At least more locals will be aware of the game.

https://www.nwitimes.com/eedition/north/page-b/page_522e64dc-fcc7-5bb4-b814-6613f9a1f34d.html

Beamin' Beacons

wh

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 02, 2019, 06:32:42 AM
As I have complained about coverage in The Times, I want to acknowledge the preview from today's paper.  At least more locals will be aware of the game.

https://www.nwitimes.com/eedition/north/page-b/page_522e64dc-fcc7-5bb4-b814-6613f9a1f34d.html

Would someone kindly copy and paste the article so I can read it. Thanks!

VU2014

Quote from: wh on January 02, 2019, 06:57:19 AM
Quote from: humbleopinion on January 02, 2019, 06:32:42 AM

Would someone kindly copy and paste the article so I can read it. Thanks!

This link should work.

https://twitter.com/nwioren/status/1080303196906631168?s=21

VUGrad1314

Keys to the game:

Valpo needs to build on what we saw against PNW.
Bring the energy from start to finish
get after loose balls
rebound
Take smart shots\ run efficient offense

Illinois State:

Discipline
Share the ball
Dominate the front court where they should have an advantage (sorry to say it it's just true)
Secondary scoring They need someone besides Yarbrough and Fayne to give them a lift.

Most Important matchup(s)

This game will likely be determined by the play in the frontcourt. If Valpo can hold their own  there they have a chance to ride the home crowd to a victory

X Factors:

Illinois State:

Josh Jefferson  has done a great job of providing that secondary scoring shooting a blistering 45.6% from 3. Valpo will definitely have to watch out for him. Most of Illinois State's other main  pieces have been cold\inefficient and will be looking to get right in conference play but Jefferson clearly deserves the most attention beyond Fayne\Yarbrough.

Valpo:

Markus Golder may well be tasked with slowing down Yarbrough for at least awhile. How he performs in that role will go a long time in determining the outcome.

Bottom line: When the Redbirds are firing on all cylinders they're a very tough team to stop. Valpo will have to get tough on D to ensure that ISU doesn't steal a road win tonight.

Go Valpo! Hope the crowd and the team bring it tonight as we have a real opportunity to start off well with 2 of 3 winnable games at home to open MVC play.

FWalum

Quote from: may know on December 31, 2018, 12:54:09 AM
philspunch has no profile. ???
Exactly... someone comes on this forum and says something that absolutely can not be verified and then removes their membership or profile somehow leaving their unverified post.  How does that happen?  Should be removed.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

Everyone should read this and listen to the interview. The issues Muller describes seem eerily akin to our own. Tonight will be all about who breaks out first. I think the home crowd will be important and I trust our guys to carry the day! Go Valpo!

http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/muller-disappointed-so-far/

vu72

Looks to be a decent crowd.  Just counted 20 seats still available in chairbacks and 87 across the way.  Hard to judge upstairs.  Lots appear to gone in CC but somehow these things change from time to time.  I'll guess 3000.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Bakari is back in uniform tonight.

oklahomamick

9 unanswered points to Illinois state.  9-3.  But what's disturbing is not a lot of open looks.
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Smitts threw up a 3.  What bothered me was that the other 4 players were on their way back on defense while the ball was in mid air. No one attempted to crash the boards. No one. BTW, his shot was close but rattled off the rim and made for a freebie ISU RB.

valporun

I didn't realize the freshman backcourt started on Saturday, as I hadn't watched that game yet, but I like it to start, as it looks as though Evelyn might be better coming off the bench, as a pace changer. That could have been the thing he needed earlier this season, but based on the experience from the rest of the bench, we had to do what seemed the better way to start off. He and Lavendar are both doing more off the bench than it sounds like they did as starters in November/December...

VU2014

3:08 left in 1st half, Freeman gets knocked to the ground and nobody rushes to him to help him up. That can't happen. Guys need to be there for each other. Freeman is always one of the first guys to help his teammates up. Just a little pet peeve of mine.

VUSL98

Pretty ugly basketball from both teams...

VUGrad1314

What happened to our offense the last four minutes? Terrible. No movement Nobody going to the basket. That needs to be the first order of business for halftime adjustments. That said I'm happy with the energy and effort on the whole and we've done a good job on the boards. We need to keep that up and clean up the offense and we'll be fine. Go Valpo!

vu72

A decent half by the good guys, all with our best  (only?) shooter on the bench.  Fazekas should light it up and will undoubtedly spread the defense so may open up the middle.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 02, 2019, 07:46:57 PM
What happened to our offense the last four minutes? Terrible. No movement Nobody going to the basket. That needs to be the first order of business for halftime adjustments. That said I'm happy with the energy and effort on the whole and we've done a good job on the boards. We need to keep that up and clean up the offense and we'll be fine. Go Valpo!

That ISUr zone through our guys into slump on offense

VULB#62

I left the room with us having only 3 points and ISU on a run going into double digits. Come back a few minutes later and we have the lead by a few. Nice turn around. 26-26 at the half. Only disappointment was seeing us scoreless in the last 3:45. But ISU was also scoreless over the last 2+ minutes.

wh

Great energy in the first half. That in itself is a welcome breath of fresh air. Keep it going!

valpolaw

Only 1 point through nearly 9 mins into the 2nd half. Not good, but we will continue to launch 3s

VALPO LI

ML Jacket off at the 15:04 mark in the second have after a 9-1 birds run.
Shine on Vu

VU2014

Over 13 minutes without a point for Valpo... pathetic...  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(