• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #17 @ SIU Saturday Jan 12th 3pm

Started by VUSWIM08-12, January 10, 2019, 01:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSWIM08-12

We're a little more than 48 hours from the start of game 4 in MVC play. There is no doubt this will be a tough test. I'd be thrilled if we can win one of the SIU/Loyola games, but why not win both?? Will Fazekas play? I'm guessing not, but I expect Evelyn and Golder to have big games.

Valpo-68
SIU-65

valpo84

This is a huge game for a couple of reasons: (i) likely without Ryan, who picks up the scoring.  Against Bradley, JF was the catalyst, but Golder and Bakari will need to score more.  It is also time for Mileek to provide good minutes and some scoring off the bench. (ii) like I used to say during the Horizon transition years, it was easy to be under the radar when Butler was our travel partner and then when Butler left, suddenly we became the hunted.  In this season, we are now 3-0 and we will be the hunted.  Teams may have looked at us as the 6-12 team, but that has changed.  Intensity, aka grittiness, and focus on eliminating turnovers and rebounding become paramount.  How hungry will this team play on Saturday?   
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpotx

Tough one to pick.  I think that we play better on the road, and think we take it in a close one:

Valpo 66
SIU 64
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

With Fazekas I would almost view it as a tossup. Without him it will be a struggle to stay competitive. I say this despite SIU never particularly impressing me in any of the 5 games of which I have viewed major portions.

Positives without Fazekas would be the distribution of scoring responsibilities and some additional well deserved minutes being handed to Kiser and McMillan. Both need further development and confidence for the team to have a real chance in St Louis.

tiny707

Lavender will have a big game and play alot of minutes. He used to play at SIU and I believe he will have alot of family and fiends at the game as it is close to where he grew up. Expect his biggest scoring, assists, and rebounds for a game in the victory.

VALPO LI

So who starts this game ???
Smits
Golder
Freeman
Sackey/Lavender
Evelyn/McMillan
Shine on Vu

valpopal

After Fazekas went down in Tuesday's game, Kiser started the second half and was given most of his minutes, but in 14 minutes he had 0 points, 0 rebounds. He was the only player on the team not to score and the only one not to record a rebound. If Lottich is going to use Kiser to replace Fazekas, he is going to have to produce. I'd much rather have a smaller starting lineup that includes either Evelyn or Lavender instead. Lavender and Golder also will need to contribute even more to rebounding to compensate for the absence of Fazekas. Maybe McMillan will use this opportunity to step up as some had predicted pre-season?

VALPO LI

Fazekas played for roughly 7 minutes before going out.  He was 1-1 from behind the arc, 2 rebounds and 3 points.
Kiser/McMillan combined playing time was roughly 24 minutes going 1-4 behind the arc, 4 rebounds and 3 points. (COMBINED)
Shine on Vu

valpopal

At least, this sounds more positive than not:

[tweet]1083460309732462592[/tweet]

VALPO LI

Good to hear.  Anyone see him on campus? Would hate to hear he left the country for rehab
Shine on Vu

justducky

Quote from: valpopal on January 10, 2019, 02:58:55 PMIf Lottich is going to use Kiser to replace Fazekas, he is going to have to produce. I'd much rather have a smaller starting lineup that includes either Evelyn or Lavender instead.
I don't see a 4 guard lineup winning in Carbondale. Maybe 4 guards could keep it close but that is not our objective. So somebody  ??? Fazekas  ??? McMillan  ??? needs to deliver some productive minutes at the 4.

VU2014

I normally don't like putting any blame on the refs for a loss but they absolutely screwed us at SIU last year. Let's hope things are a little more balanced with the whistle this time around.

VU2014

Quote from: valpopal on January 10, 2019, 03:26:56 PM
At least, this sounds more positive than not:

[tweet]1083460309732462592[/tweet]

That's good news. So let him rest Saturday and maybe have him return for the Loyola game?

M

Valpo 56-55....I don't expect a win but I think it'll be low scoring. Anyone can win a low scoring game.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpopal on January 10, 2019, 02:58:55 PM
After Fazekas went down in Tuesday's game, Kiser started the second half and was given most of his minutes, but in 14 minutes he had 0 points, 0 rebounds. He was the only player on the team not to score and the only one not to record a rebound. If Lottich is going to use Kiser to replace Fazekas, he is going to have to produce. I'd much rather have a smaller starting lineup that includes either Evelyn or Lavender instead. Lavender and Golder also will need to contribute even more to rebounding to compensate for the absence of Fazekas. Maybe McMillan will use this opportunity to step up as some had predicted pre-season?

Kiser can only get minutes if we are hitting a high % from the field to start the game. 

Smits MUST have himself an 18+ point game in order to get Kiser minutes because we can't afford 15 points total from PF/C and be competitive in this game.

McMillan is our "keys to the game" guy even if Fazekas gets limited minutes (by miracle).

elephtheria47

Itll be tough and we're not at the point of being as good (consistent?) as we think,  but valpo continues to roll and picks up the w. I like smits recent showings and thinks he steps up this game.

talksalot

OK, I have my ticket for the SIU game... same as last year... including the 27-hour round trip train ride saga with some other ticket holders who's wives think we're all nuts.  The game ends about 5pm... the train leaves at 3:15am.  Two thoughts:   Quatros  and Insomnia Cookies.

Interesting... the SIU students are still on break.  There is a "High Number" of available seats in their student section and they are actively promoting 1/2 price tickets to the community.  Weather will be iffy rain/snow mix... it's a mid-afternoon game.

as for the game?  Love to have us pull this one out... 63-58

SanityLost17

For those questioning mcmillan/kiser productivity, i get it.  However i thought they did ok.   Not necessarily on the box score but they were not a liability either. 

Lottich is going to be tempted to not play them much but I think that would be a mistake.   We have 15 physical Mvc games left, we need to watch our minutes otherwise we will have loses later in the season when we are at full strength again but exhausted and battling physical fatigue. 

Kiser and McMillan will have to play a combined 24 minutes and they will need to not be a liability in those minutes. 

If we lose we lose but don't chase road wins the next 2 games short handed at the detriment of player health the following weeks.   

Play lots of guys, keep intensity high and minutes low.   See what happens. 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 10, 2019, 08:00:32 PM
For those questioning mcmillan/kiser productivity, i get it.  However i thought they did ok.   Not necessarily on the box score but they were not a liability either. 

Lottich is going to be tempted to not play them much but I think that would be a mistake.   We have 15 physical Mvc games left, we need to watch our minutes otherwise we will have loses later in the season when we are at full strength again but exhausted and battling physical fatigue. 

Kiser and McMillan will have to play a combined 24 minutes and they will need to not be a liability in those minutes. 

If we lose we lose but don't chase road wins the next 2 games short handed at the detriment of player health the following weeks.   

Play lots of guys, keep intensity high and minutes low.   See what happens.

I thought the same, but then considered that the only reason they weren't a liability is because Bradley couldn't score to save their lives ....and it wasn't entirely because of our defense.

In a game where both teams score 65+ points, I still believe they have proven to be a liability unfortunately.  Opponents D just doubles down and can effectively leave Kiser unmarked, it's almost as bad as Buggs in his first few years.  Difference being Buggs could drive, Kiser doesn't even have a learners permit...

VUBBFan

Quote from: VU2014 on January 10, 2019, 03:49:27 PMI normally don't like putting any blame on the refs for a loss but they absolutely screwed us at SIU last year. Let's hope things are a little more balanced with the whistle this time around.

I agree. There were several games last year where I thought we really got screwed by the Refs. So far this year I haven't seen that. The bad calls (there will always be some) have been pretty balanced between us and our opponent. It seems we have adjusted to how the games are being reffed or have gain some respect from the officials. Also we probably have improved or matured our play.

Then again we haven't played at Evansville and Cedar Falls yet.

VU2014

Quote from: VUBBFan on January 10, 2019, 08:51:20 PM

Quote from: VU2014 on January 10, 2019, 03:49:27 PMI normally don't like putting any blame on the refs for a loss but they absolutely screwed us at SIU last year. Let's hope things are a little more balanced with the whistle this time around.

I agree. There were several games last year where I thought we really got screwed by the Refs. So far this year I haven't seen that. The bad calls (there will always be some) have been pretty balanced between us and our opponent. It seems we have adjusted to how the games are being reffed or have gain some respect from the officials. Also we probably have improved or matured our play.

Then again we haven't played at Evansville and Cedar Falls yet.

Maybe it's just me but I feel like it's more of this. I think the bigs have learned to adjust in the post but it feels like we're getting more respect with the whistle this time around. Maybe Paul just needs to write another article to ruffle some UNI fans feathers  ;)

justducky

Quote from: VUBBFan on January 10, 2019, 08:51:20 PMAlso we probably have improved or matured our play.

Thats my vote. Defending awkwardly leads to quick whistles. This year we are getting there faster with better arm and leg positioning and far fewer downward hacks. We may also be a slight bit quicker overall.

wh

If this year's Valpo/SIU games follow last year's pattern, whichever team wins the battle at center will probably win the game.

In game-1 at the ARC, Derrik and Jay combined for 28 points on 9-13 shooting in 38 min. It was their best combined offensive performance of the season.  SIU's Pippen had 14 points on 7-14 shooting in 22 minutes. That 14-point advantage played a huge role in a game we won by 11. In fact, Hinson was so frustrated with Pippen's defensive play, he benched him for several minutes.

In the rematch on their court, Derrik and Jay combined for 13 points on 6-6 shooting in 39 min., but Pippen countered with 21 points on 9-11 shooting in 29 minutes. That's an 8-point differential in a game they won by 6. Derrik and Jay also combined for 8 fouls. They allowed Pippen to receive entry passes way too deep in the box, which he took full advantage of with some short and deadly jump hooks which he scored or got fouled. He really ate their lunch.

The same 3 will be battling once again on Sat. It should be fun to watch.  :popcorn:

FWalum

Would really love to see McMillan get more minutes at the 4 if Ryan is going to be out for awhile. I really think he needs to play minutes at that position, it makes us a bigger team and allows us to put another big on the block instead of always 4 on the perimeter.  We saw times last year when he had flashes of what might be in the future when he was playing the 4 and I had hoped to see a lot more of that this year after hearing the initial hype.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Quote from: FWalum on January 10, 2019, 10:36:24 PM
Would really love to see McMillan get more minutes at the 4 if Ryan is going to be out for awhile. I really think he needs to play minutes at that position, it makes us a bigger team and allows us to put another big on the block instead of always 4 on the perimeter.  We saw times last year when he had flashes of what might be in the future when he was playing the 4 and I had hoped to see a lot more of that this year after hearing the initial hype.

https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/1083458684473221121