• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #18 Valpo @ Loyola 1/15/19 7pm NBCSN Chicago/ESPN+

Started by VU2014, January 13, 2019, 11:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Someone earlier in the thread (before the game started, I think) said something to the effect that Ryan would be out for an extended period. I was wondering where they heard that, or were they just speculating after seeing the picture of him sitting on the sideline in a boot. Does anyone actually know what Ryan's situation is, other than the public "day-to-day" remark Matt made?

vu72

I'll say this:  It was a wake up call for us and points out how much we need Ryan out there.  I'll also say what a joke the Loyola announcers comments were concerning the state of affairs of their game day atmosphere now that they were a final four participant.  Really?  Attendance listed at 3412 with Valpo bringing a decent crowd?  Wow! 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

loyal is the better team but we are also better than what we showed out there. With Ryan out and Bakari ill it was a bad time for Lavendar to have an unusually TO prone game and for Javon to struggle with some freshman mistakes/unlucky shooting.

The gave our bigs trouble as expected but that wouldn't have been so pronounced if we were at all a threat from the perimeter.

VU2014

That 1st half was lost by Valpo's own self inflicted wounds. As for the 2nd half I think Loyola came out of the gates super aggressive on defense and offense and our guys clearly got rattled and lost their composure.

It's a bad blowout loss but I think we can definitely win the rematch at the ARC if we are healthy and play up to our abilities.

SanityLost17

I thought we played "fast and nervous".  AKA - I think the moment (1st place game on the road) got us trying too hard to do things that were not there.   

That said, Loyola has the best defense in the conference and a lot of that was brought on by them, but it was equally on us.   

Examples: 
Lavender trying to force passes or driving into impossible situations.
Freeman chucking 3's when he wasn't open or was several feet behind the line (something he has not done all year) or again driving into impossible situations.  (Loyola recruited him hard too and I think he was trying to hard)
Smits being too aggressive at the wrong times trying to keep their center off the block
The entire team would dribble the ball up super quick and then we would pass the ball around super quick but it didn't appear there was an end game in play for what we were trying to accomplish as we rotated the ball around.

So "fast and nervous" is the best way I can describe what I saw but perhaps somebody has some better vocabulary to describe it.   

SanityLost17

Quote from: wh on January 16, 2019, 08:23:17 AM
Someone earlier in the thread (before the game started, I think) said something to the effect that Ryan would be out for an extended period. I was wondering where they heard that, or were they just speculating after seeing the picture of him sitting on the sideline in a boot. Does anyone actually know what Ryan's situation is, other than the public "day-to-day" remark Matt made?

Just my speculation.  I have coached enough sports to know if you are still in a boot and on crutches you are not all that close even if you are trying to rest it.  To a certain extend you get to a point that walking on it without the boot actually starts to re-strengthen the tendons and helps clear scar tissue with the extra blood flow.   Like I said my guess is they thought it was really bad, were relieved to find out it was just a bad sprain, and a bad sprain is usually 2-4 weeks.

bbtds

And you want the opposition preparing for the possibility of RF playing so that they aren't able to prepare as well. That Loyola team was well prepared already but shutting down our shooters was a huge part of it. Believe me, I met Loyola fans that read this board and have direct connections to the Loyola coaching staff. You never want to give away too much on the possibility of a player being in or out.

That is a very, very good team at Loyola. The game day atmosphere was tremendous and just communicating was tough.

One thing I was puzzled by was the referees called a total of 6 fouls in the whole first half and what seemed to me a physical game. Then in the second half they call some ticky tack fouls on Valpo and let other very rough play continue. Then the fouls start mounting because it seemed the refs had let the game start to get out of control and had to regain some control. In the end they called more fouls on Loyola but it was during the portion of the game when Loyola was really extending their lead that Valpo was getting called for the ticky tack fouls--Golder, Lavender, Smits, Sorolla, etc. Just an observation on my part.

Oh yeah, what is it with Sister Jean, world wide Loyola star praying to the Almighty for a Loyola win?

wh

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 16, 2019, 09:13:46 AM
Quote from: wh on January 16, 2019, 08:23:17 AM

Just my speculation.  I have coached enough sports to know if you are still in a boot and on crutches you are not all that close even if you are trying to rest it.  To a certain extend you get to a point that walking on it without the boot actually starts to re-strengthen the tendons and helps clear scar tissue with the extra blood flow.   Like I said my guess is they thought it was really bad, were relieved to find out it was just a bad sprain, and a bad sprain is usually 2-4 weeks.

Interesting and informative. Thanks for sharing.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on January 16, 2019, 08:46:52 AM
That 1st half was lost by Valpo's own self inflicted wounds. As for the 2nd half I think Loyola came out of the gates super aggressive on defense and offense and our guys clearly got rattled and lost their composure.

It's a bad blowout loss but I think we can definitely win the rematch at the ARC if we are healthy and play up to our abilities.

Yes, it was as if Moser told his team at halftime that they should probably be up by more, that the Crusaders are battle scarred, shell-shocked, and teetering on the edge, and to come out with even more intensity and bury them. That's what they did, and they owned us within 5-6 minutes. The game was essentially over at that point. Another embarrassing element is that they controlled the action at both ends for long stretches, despite playing essentially a 6-man rotation.

justducky

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 16, 2019, 09:13:46 AMJust my speculation.  I have coached enough sports to know if you are still in a boot and on crutches you are not all that close even if you are trying to rest it.  To a certain extend you get to a point that walking on it without the boot actually starts to re-strengthen the tendons and helps clear scar tissue with the extra blood flow.   Like I said my guess is they thought it was really bad, were relieved to find out it was just a bad sprain, and a bad sprain is usually 2-4 weeks.

So what if the boot had another purpose? Maybe "chef" has been coaching Matt on the art of sandbagging, thus decoying Northern Iowa into a false sense of security. I was always told that ministers and priests love poker because you can lie with a clear conscience. It is in fact essential to its proper execution.  ;) I think that would apply here also.

Valpo2013

Having been at the game I can say that you are correct if the announcers were acting like they have an atmosphere of excitement. Far from it in my opinion.
Perhaps Valpo isn't a draw to get students and fans out to the game....like Wichita was
Also
Even with Fazekas we lose...

Valpo2013

We had a good streak going
That is sport....streaks
Start a new one Saturday hopefully

VUfan

Getting out rebounded and the other team shoots over 50 percent, a long night. lucky the spread was less then 20 points. now lets move on to Saturday's game.  :twocents:

justducky

Quote from: Valpo2013 on January 16, 2019, 01:36:19 PMEven with Fazekas we lose...

We know. We watched too. But sometimes the difference between a blowout and a nail biter boils down to a half dozen plays that expand or diminish confidence. I've watched a couple basketball rematches over the decades and knowing the variabilities I'll say we could beat them at the ARC by 8 or lose by 12. As for St Louis both teams could substantially improve but I'd prefer to be in the other half of the bracket.

VU2010

Loyola had 19 points off turnovers IN THE FIRST HALF!

Good luck. Valpo has a higher FG % at half bit didn't matter if you don't get shots off. What did they end up with ... 28 points off turnovers?

Good luck. Maybe they're THAT good. Maybe they wanted it THAT bad. Maybe we were THAT anxious. Maybe we lost our confidence THAT early. Maybe all of the above. Maybe none of the above. Who knows. Who knows.

Saturday will be telling. Didn't compete yesterday. Plain and simple. Shell shocked. Where was the grit? Passion from ML?

Was it the *other* Valpo team that showed up? Or is Loyola just THE team?

valpo64

Talk about what made a big difference last night....Smits played 19 min. with 1 rebound(ONE!)with 8 points while Sorolla played 21 minutes with 3 rebounds and 2 points.  That is a TOTAL of 4 rebounds and 10 points from our 2 seven-footers in 40 minutes of play!!!!

NativeCheesehead

Just remember, it could be worse. We could be Bradley fans.

humbleopinion

Beamin' Beacons

valpospartan

Quote from: bbtds on January 16, 2019, 10:27:56 AM
And you want the opposition preparing for the possibility of RF playing so that they aren't able to prepare as well. That Loyola team was well prepared already but shutting down our shooters was a huge part of it. Believe me, I met Loyola fans that read this board and have direct connections to the Loyola coaching staff. You never want to give away too much on the possibility of a player being in or out.

That is a very, very good team at Loyola. The game day atmosphere was tremendous and just communicating was tough.

One thing I was puzzled by was the referees called a total of 6 fouls in the whole first half and what seemed to me a physical game. Then in the second half they call some ticky tack fouls on Valpo and let other very rough play continue. Then the fouls start mounting because it seemed the refs had let the game start to get out of control and had to regain some control. In the end they called more fouls on Loyola but it was during the portion of the game when Loyola was really extending their lead that Valpo was getting called for the ticky tack fouls--Golder, Lavender, Smits, Sorolla, etc. Just an observation on my part.

Oh yeah, what is it with Sister Jean, world wide Loyola star praying to the Almighty for a Loyola win?
She also prayed for the ValparIso team.

wh

Quote from: valpospartan on January 16, 2019, 11:02:05 PM

She was a wonderful part of Loyola's improbable tournament run last year. I loved how the players embraced her and treated her with love and respect.

IrishDawg

Quote from: wh on January 16, 2019, 11:35:37 PM

She was a wonderful part of Loyola's improbable tournament run last year. I loved how the players embraced her and treated her with love and respect.

She shouldn't be blamed for this (may have actually helped), but I think she actually took a ton of attention away from the guys who were out there winning those games.  Everyone knew who Sister Jean was.  Not many could name more than a couple of Loyola's players.

It was a tough loss, but Valpo's still in a great spot 5 games into conference play.  As long as the team doesn't let Loyola beat them twice and gets the game against UNI on Saturday, I think they have as good as shot as anyone else at the #2 seed in the conference tourney.  Long ways to go though.

usc4valpo

I respectfully disagree IrishDawg. Sister Jean and her support bring us a to a perspective of what is important in life. I would rather hear interviews from Sister Jean than the same crap from Coach K, Roy Williams, Urban Mayer and Nick Saban. Loyola was a great great story and as a member of the MVC we should applaud their success.

bbtds

Quote from: valpospartan on January 16, 2019, 11:02:05 PM

But not to win. I always thought God loved everyone no matter sex, age, location, etc. Can I pray for the teams I bet on to win or cover the spread and over/under. I suppose God should let me win the lottery so I can pay for ARC renovations.

EDIT: ok, just caught the fact that you spelled ValparIso instead of ValparAiso. Point taken.

crusadermoe

I think the MVC benefits by having Loyola stay strong at the top this year.   They need to be our signature team and not fade away.  Two losses would have buried them in the pack already.

They need to go into St. Louis as a strong #1 seed who reaches the MVC finals to keep the media talking about them.    Meanwhile, I would love for us to snag the #2 or #3 and have a track to play them in the finals.   #4 and #5 draws the #1 in the semis of course.  #6 seed would be a disappointment.

may know

"I'll also say what a joke the Loyola announcers comments were concerning the state of affairs of their game day atmosphere now that they were a final four participant.  Really?"

Loyola announcers?

Went to ILST/Loyola game Saturday. Had to buy from StubHub because it was sold out. The atmosphere was outstanding.

What I'd give for 5 sellouts.