• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #20 Valpo @ Indiana State 1/23/19 6pm espn3

Started by VU2014, January 23, 2019, 12:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

Has Smits ever seen a double team before...sheesh. This is getting ugly early. Maybe this and 1 will get them going.

jloose128

NativeCheesehead

VUGrad1314

This is Ball State all over again. Absolutely unacceptable. Each player in a brown Jersey to a man should be embarrassed and ashamed tonight. Indiana State is a very solid defensive team but  this shouldn't be happening Somebody step up and show some grit

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteWe were overdue for a sub par performance.

We just had one last Tuesday at Loyola. This is awful. Completely lethargic, but some of this is on Lottich. We only have three guys on the floor who are capable of scoring, and two of them aren't hitting anything, and the other looks afraid to drive.

nkvu

Who are these guys and what did they do with our team. They don't look like they've ever played basketball before.

VU2010

I swear we have two teams. Terrible first half. Makes me sick. No effort. Lazy. Turnover City! Get on the bus and go home if you don't wanna play. Pathetic. And against a team that's struggled!!! ESP. On defense. 9 turnovers in the first half. One made 3. I like the brown jerseys but tonight we look like a bunch of lazy turds 💩 floating around a 🚽

VUSL98

Reflections at the half:
1.  Points off turnovers kill us.
2.  Sorrolla is lost on offense.
3.  Bakari can't pass or shoot.
4.  No one is the go-to guy on offense.
5.  We go to Smits inside early in the half and then for some reason, we forget that it works.
6.  If it weren't for some decent defense, we'd be down by 20.

VUGrad1314

We were concerned about their outside shooting and instead we're getting killed inside The good news is we're close enough that we have a shot if we come out on a run the bad news is they've done this without  Barnes  doing anything. I can't imagine he'll be silent the whole game.

VU2010

Whoever honestly believes "we're due for a poor performance" ... what does that even mean? Like, seriously I'm asking. Is that a thing? Are we OK with that?

As for me, idk what that means and don't roll like that. Grit ... tenacity ... energy ... effort ... those don't take off days. Shots not falling? Sure. That'll come in ebbs and flows. But not effort. Not basketball IQ.

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 23, 2019, 06:37:44 PM
We were overdue for a sub par performance.

That Loyola game was sub par in my book. This game is just a complete lack of attention to detail and sloppy play. We look completely flat

NativeCheesehead

Not sure Loyola was as much a sub par performance on our part as a dominating one on theirs. But point taken.

mj

Dunno what's worse. Our play or the announcers on ESPN. I'm assuming they're students but jeez....
I believe that we will win.

oklahomamick

Bad call on Freeman.  The baseline ref called the foul when no vision of the clean jump ball. 
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

It is a shame we weren't able to take advantage of a very week road crowd. Won't see many of those this year.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteOur play or the announcers on ESPN. I'm assuming they're students but jeez....

They're doing their best and you gotta start somewhere, but kinda surprised they went with a student crew for an ESPN3 game instead of one behind the  ESPN+ paywall. I mean, Ball State will use student crews too, but they're one of the top sports broadcasting schools in the country. ISU is...not.

Though the choppiness of the stream is way more of a concern to me.

oklahomamick

"overdue for a sub par performance" means that you can only be gritty for so long before wearing down mentally and physically.  Games every 3 days, bus rides and classes. 

Have to be able to break down teams with tactics and shooting rather than gritty. 
CRUSADERS!!!

bigmosmithfan1

Two offensive rebounds this possession that we've just stood and stared at.

VUGrad1314

Sorolla absolutely sucks tonight He's the main reason we're in this hole. It's a shame. Just when he really looked like he was getting better.

NativeCheesehead

Derrik must have have let the good press go to his head. He is getting WORKED on defense tonight.

VUGrad1314

They're making plays that we're used to seeing our guys make that's really disappointing

bigmosmithfan1