• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #27 Valpo @ Drake 2/16 2:00pm CST on ESPN3

Started by NativeCheesehead, February 15, 2019, 09:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSL98

LeBron is back, so what happened?  Same old story:  no offense from Evelyn who shot 1 for 7 in 25 minutes and appears to be regressing quicklt.  Turn overs - Smits had 5.  No leadership form anyone except maybe Lavender.

VU2010

As it's been pointed out to me on this board, I do better when I don't immediately respond while in an emotional state. So, here I am well over 2 hours after the game ended.

Takeaways:

1. We got outplayed and out coached again.
2. We've lost 7/8
3. I'm tired of moral victories in that we didn't give up in the end etc.
4. It's not ironic that we can come back and erase a big deficit when our entire game plan changes for such situations: QUICK SHOTS ON THE OFFENSIVE END AND FULL COURT HIGH-PRESSURED DEFENSIVE PRESS.
5. If you watched, Townsend was the one working with the players down the stretch when they made their attempt at a comeback.
6. For all if you continually making excuses - including Lottich whose comments leading up to the game were once again asinine - that's a Drake team predicted to finish 9th in the Valley with a new coach and only 3 players from last year on the roster.
7. Once again, we got to see what we missed out on with the Murphy twins and Wilkins.
8. Even if we are improved next year, it doesn't negate the flashing signs that continually point out that we need to make changes before this thing becomes an even bigger dumpster fire.

justducky

How is it even possible to score 79 points with only 6 assists?

VU2010

It's time for Paul, Mike, and/or Robbie to try and take one for the fan base and ask some tough questions of Lottich. Even in his postgame comments, he still does not take personal responsibility. The buck stops with him and his staff. 7/8 is unacceptable. The regression of this team is unacceptable.

Seriously - if he gets a contract extension, that'll be a final indication to the fan base that there isn't accountability. And that there aren't any expectations for this program any longer.

Many of us predicted this when Bryce left but held out hope. We were able to hide behind Alec. Once injured, we plummeted and never found ourselves.

Truly breaks my heart as a Valpo alumni and lifelong fan/resident.

oklahomamick

Well said VU2010.

And if Bryce had these results/record (more concerning is how we continue to lose all the time) we would be questioning him. 
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

How many backdoor points do we have for the entire season?

When our perimeter shooters get smothered and our posts get single coverage shouldn't that occasionally be open?

NativeCheesehead

Headline might as well be: "Same s$&!, different game."

bbtds

VUGrad1314

Two years ago:
Started 19-4
Finished 5-5

Last year:

Started: 8-0
Finished: 7-17

This year (conference play)
Started: 5-1
Since: 1-7

Say what you will about injuries conference transitions etc but this is a really disturbing pattern emerging (and it's now working its way into individual games with some of the meltdowns we've had) I'm starting to believe that Lottich simply can't finish. He'll get us going with a fantastic start and then right as everyone reaches peak excitement and enthusiasm the bottom drops out and it's goodbye season.

valpolaw

That's a scary trend. My guess is we will go 1-3 or 2-2 in our last conference games. That would put us at the bottom of the league again. How long was Lottichs contract and when is he due for an extension? I didn't really follow how long his contract was when he became coach.

SanityLost17

I have not read any posts and I didn't even watch the game.   Too many other things going on in my life.   But a quick look at the standings tells me Valpo still controls its own destiny for the 5 seed. 

Thats right, if we win out we are guaranteed the 5 seed and most likely would be the 4 seed as ILLSt would likely lose at least 1 more.   How you ask?  Because winning out would mean a sweep of IllSt, Bradley, SIU, and UNI and we would have a tie breaker on all 4.   

Now I realize that is not much solace considering our chances of winning our last 4 games is about 2%.   But hey, it is something...yayyyyy.....Sometimes "so you are saying there is a chance" is the only way to make it through the day.   haha   

Smj

This Valpo team is better than their current performance...   just can't seem to get it all to come together.   

I just read some of the Vanderbilt fan site comments and that looks rough...   I feel bad for Bryce. 

But i'm smiling right now - look what my wife got me...

Go V.U. !!!

crusader05

I hear ya on the Vandy boards. I can't even imagine what we would sound like if we were 0-12 in conference play right now. Ironically a lot of the criticism we have of Lottich is what they have of Bryce.

So is this just general criticisms you hear when your team is playing poorly or are we seeing something in something about the strategies that are similar but Lottich is just not quite as experience as Bryce so the weaknesses are coming out sooner.

I still lean on the whole, it's a mental thing for this team vs play calling because otherwise we don't go out and stomp Illinois state and  Missouri state on their home court and play Loyola tough. This team seems to lack focus and some inner drive and tends to freeze and get blinders on. That's still a coaching thing but I don't think it's play calling as much as team building

vu72

Quote from: crusader05 on February 17, 2019, 10:44:38 AMI can't even imagine what we would sound like if we were 0-12 in conference play right now. Ironically a lot of the criticism we have of Lottich is what they have of Bryce.

Actually the streak is at 13, one shy of a school record, and all they have to do is face #1 Tennessee next. :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

EddieCabot

Quote from: valpolaw on February 17, 2019, 09:48:57 AM
That's a scary trend. My guess is we will go 1-3 or 2-2 in our last conference games. That would put us at the bottom of the league again. How long was Lottichs contract and when is he due for an extension? I didn't really follow how long his contract was when he became coach.

On the last Union Street Hoops podcast, Paul suggested that Valpo could win their last 6 conference games.  They've gone 0-2 since then, but Paul's confidence in this team tells me he sees something that most of us are missing.  I don't know what it is, but Paul is around the team way more than me, so I tend to put some trust in his comments.

VU2010

Paul has to say that, guys. He has to keep us somewhat interested. I would actually argue the opposite - that Paul feels the same as we do but it would be too awkward for him to verbally express it as he - unlike us - is actually in the same room and talking to Lottich. Wish he'd ask the questions we all want him to ask but cannot blame him for not.

crusader05

I think that's generally true for a lot of people who aren't just fans. I've seen consistent comments from other beat reporters or observers that Valpo can become dangerous at any time and that you shouldn't feel comfortable facing them. Some of it is just general chatter that people say about opponents but the underlying confusing thing for most people is this 1. the team genuinely seems to like each other and the coach 2. the talent and ability is there, 3. the team has seemed to show little ability to gel consistently when it's on the court time.

Drews teams had a tendency to lay a bad egg and also to choke under pressure (with the exception of the Alec led teams his last two years) but this has moved past even that tendency to be  more erratic. I see 2 things that make me worry and 2 things that make me feel better.

Worries:
1. We still have not shown an ability to have a balanced attack or to win even when we have players like Smits getting +20 points a game
2. The mental funks seem to be a pattern and having all the individual pieces doesn't always make a picture so we are missing something in team cohesion/development

Make me feel better:
The weakest links of the team are generally the oldest (Bakari and Smits/Jaumie who are feast or famine) while the younger recruits and transfers seem to have a faster learning curve and better skills overall
We can clearly divide our conference games as pre-injury and post-injury which I think is why you hear not just the coach but other coaches and reporters talk about us at full health being dangerous.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 17, 2019, 09:33:23 AM
Two years ago:
Started 19-4
Finished 5-5

Last year:

Started: 8-0
Finished: 7-17

This year (conference play)
Started: 5-1
Since: 1-7

Say what you will about injuries conference transitions etc but this is a really disturbing pattern emerging (and it's now working its way into individual games with some of the meltdowns we've had) I'm starting to believe that Lottich simply can't finish. He'll get us going with a fantastic start and then right as everyone reaches peak excitement and enthusiasm the bottom drops out and it's goodbye season.

Your data is as inconsistent as this team!!! Point taken...

wh

Quote from: EddieCabot on February 17, 2019, 11:42:34 AM
Quote from: valpolaw on February 17, 2019, 09:48:57 AM

On the last Union Street Hoops podcast, Paul suggested that Valpo could win their last 6 conference games.  They've gone 0-2 since then, but Paul's confidence in this team tells me he sees something that most of us are missing.  I don't know what it is, but Paul is around the team way more than me, so I tend to put some trust in his comments.

I'm guessing Paul is just as disillusioned as the rest of us. From listening to the radio broadcast yesterday, I know Todd is.

dis·il·lu·sioned
/ˌdisəˈlo͞oZHənd
adjective
disappointed in someone or something that one discovers to be less good than one had believed.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 17, 2019, 12:27:08 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 17, 2019, 09:33:23 AMTwo years ago: Started 19-4 Finished 5-5 Last year: Started: 8-0 Finished: 7-17 This year (conference play) Started: 5-1 Since: 1-7 Say what you will about injuries conference transitions etc but this is a really disturbing pattern emerging (and it's now working its way into individual games with some of the meltdowns we've had) I'm starting to believe that Lottich simply can't finish. He'll get us going with a fantastic start and then right as everyone reaches peak excitement and enthusiasm the bottom drops out and it's goodbye season.

Take your smug self-righteousness someplace else. I don't have the time or the energy to deal with it.It doesn't matter that I choose to highlight different portions of the season when they prove this very worrisome point.

I feel sorry and saddened that basically from the day I joined this community you have chosen me and my posts as your own personal whipping post to take all your anger and vitriol out on. Until recently I largely ignored it but now here we are again and most likely all because I rightly called you out on that asinine comment you made a game or two ago. I never set out to be anybody's lightning rod or to sow discord among the fanbase. Find another poster to project onto. I can't and won't fill that role for you anymore. 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 17, 2019, 01:10:50 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 17, 2019, 12:27:08 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 17, 2019, 09:33:23 AMTwo years ago: Started 19-4 Finished 5-5 Last year: Started: 8-0 Finished: 7-17 This year (conference play) Started: 5-1 Since: 1-7 Say what you will about injuries conference transitions etc but this is a really disturbing pattern emerging (and it's now working its way into individual games with some of the meltdowns we've had) I'm starting to believe that Lottich simply can't finish. He'll get us going with a fantastic start and then right as everyone reaches peak excitement and enthusiasm the bottom drops out and it's goodbye season.

Take your smug self-righteousness someplace else. I don't have the time or the energy to deal with it.It doesn't matter that I choose to highlight different portions of the season when they prove this very worrisome point.

I feel sorry and saddened that basically from the day I joined this community you have chosen me and my posts as your own personal whipping post to take all your anger and vitriol out on. Until recently I largely ignored it but now here we are again and most likely all because I rightly called you out on that asinine comment you made a game or two ago. I never set out to be anybody's lightning rod or to sow discord among the fanbase. Find another poster to project onto. I can't and won't fill that role for you anymore.

We all have different opinions.  You are a strong advocate for VU and I appreciate that.  Think I've said that many times. 

VULB#62

Ummm...  i think the latest twist in this string provides a very strong arguement for the use of a vauable  tool available to this forum:  PMs are a good way to sort things out without dragging the rest of the forum members into an indididual conflict. Jusy my  :twocents:

crusader05

I agree. Also, I know everyone cares and so they're upset and it's easy to all get along when things are going well but please let's keep things civil (I've been guilty as well of lashing out).

If I wanted to watch posters fight with each other constantly I'd hang out in the politics thread :)