• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #29 @UNI Saturday 2/23/19 7pm

Started by VUSWIM08-12, February 22, 2019, 12:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSWIM08-12

I'll try another, last game I said Golder had to have 15+ for us to win and that was obviously incorrect, but we did win so here I am. J got a dunk which was a long time coming. We need to keep AJ GREEN IN CHECK, maybe put Golder on him? I thought about/am still thinking about making the 3 hour drive down from Minneapolis, but the weather is supposed to questionable and I don't want a 3 hour drive turning into 6. Valpo by 4.

GoldenCrusader87

No idea. I think all our predictions are mere farts 💨 in a skillet 🍳 at this point.

SanityLost17

We have to steal one of these road games (UNI/Bradley) and beat Evansville in order to avoid Thursday.

Win all 3 = 4 seed
Steal 1 road / Win @ Home = Likely a 5 seed
Lose both road games / win at home = 7 seed
Lose all 3 = 9 seed

Both teams are defense 1st.  Obviously that will cause problems with our struggling offense.  However, when we are at our best we are also engaging in tough hard-nosed defense.   So, who knows.   Not sure who we matchup better with and I don't think it matters which one we win/lose as long as we steal one. 

Golder being healthy would really help.   I think we have 3 guys functioning at less than 75% right now (Golder/Bakari/Fazekas) and Smits fluctuates as you can see it in the warmup when his back is stiff.   

VULB#62

I would add a wish in this and the other two remaining games:  in crunch time, please do not put the ball in Bakari's  hands. His playing window should be between minutes 18 and 4 in the first half and the same in the second half.  :twocents:

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 22, 2019, 07:56:51 AM
I would add a wish in this and the other two remaining games:  in crunch time, please do not put the ball in Bakari's  hands. His playing window should be between minutes 18 and 4 in the first half and the same in the second half.  :twocents:

Seriously, why do the coaches allow him to do this? Do they see something in practice that we don't see. He has had a dreadful season from a offensive production standpoint. I was literally ripping my hair out watching him go iso and drain the shot clock. I'm still baffled by how far Bakari has declined this season. I have to think it's health or shooting mechanics in his jumpshot. But at those end of game scenarios you can't let him do that. Give it to Javon to take it to the hoop or kick it out to an outside shooter.

M

I thought our freshmen did a good job on their stud freshmen...I know he wound up with quite a few points, but I think switching screens and trying to keep Sackey or Freeman on him as much as possible will make it difficult for him to score. As long as they limit the rest of the team, Valpo can survive a 25 point night from Green.

With Golder missing last game I'm just not sure he'd be able to keep up and fight around all the screens Green is going to be running/dribbling off of.  If he is in the game though I'm sure he will get his shot.  I think the other thing is you have to make Green defend on the other end. His guy has to be aggressive and run him off screens and look to attack when the opportunity presents itself. Wear him out a little more on the defensive end and it could payoff later in the game.

GoldenCrusader87

The collective fan reaction at the ARC vs SIU when Bakari did that was priceless. Instant reaction from the crowd as folks all gasped and quickly followed suit in a synchronously befuddled belaboring call of anguish.

One of these times, he's going to hit the shot if he keeps getting the opportunity. Not sure that would make up for anything but is bound to happen. If for no other reason, because it's that weird of a season in the valley. And that weird of a season for us specifically.

UNIfan

Hey Valpo friends, dropping by to wish you guys good luck. BIG game tomorrow, very high stakes, I can't wait!

Would prefer to see Valpo avoid the play in game, but not at UNI's expense. Green is an obvious threat, but watch for Haldeman who has been red hot behind the arc, Lohaus is coming off a huge performance at MSU, and Berhow is capable of putting on a 3 point shooting or rebounding clinic. Whoever matches up with Isaiah Brown is going to have their work cut out for them, he's as good a defender as any in the Valley.

Whatever the result, looking forward to a high quality contest!

vu72

Quote from: UNIfan on February 22, 2019, 03:20:54 PM
Hey Valpo friends, dropping by to wish you guys good luck. BIG game tomorrow, very high stakes, I can't wait!

Would prefer to see Valpo avoid the play in game, but not at UNI's expense. Green is an obvious threat, but watch for Haldeman who has been red hot behind the arc, Lohaus is coming off a huge performance at MSU, and Berhow is capable of putting on a 3 point shooting or rebounding clinic. Whoever matches up with Isaiah Brown is going to have their work cut out for them, he's as good a defender as any in the Valley.

Our guys are good to.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on February 22, 2019, 03:54:24 PM
https://twitter.com/thereal_mg3/status/1099041732610703360?s=21

Here's to hoping!  I'm not holding my breath, this team "should" have enough depth to compete with or without a recovering Markus.

I firmly believe we are capable of winning against most conference foes down a man (Loyola withstanding).  Need to execute at a level (defensively) that we haven't consistently and please make more FT...

wh

Hello UNIFan. In our first matchup, Derrik Smits had 21 points and 11 rebounds in 25 minutes. Our other 7-footer Jay Sorolla added 4 points and 3 rebounds in 14 minutes. Collectively, they  dominated play inside on both ends. I'm guessing your coaches will make some major adjustments there. Conversely, I was looking forward to watching Green and he didn't disappoint with 25 points, despite our 2 quick, highly athletic freshmen Javon Freeman and Daniel Sackey draped all over him. I'm sure there will be a major effort to do a better job of fighting through those multiple moving picks.  ;)  The biggest difference in game-1 was bench scoring, where Valpo held a huge 25-7 advantage. That will probably be hard to duplicate. Good luck tomorrow.  :thumbsup:

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on February 22, 2019, 03:30:00 PM

Our guys are good to.

I think they saw that in the first game.  They'll see more of the same tomorrow. 

bbtds

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on February 22, 2019, 06:46:34 AMmere farts 💨 in a skillet 🍳 at this point.

I need to start using this phrase so I can see the quizzical look on people's faces.

GoldenCrusader87

If an emoji can officially be a former word of the year, idk by this phrase couldn't become the new replacement for grit or grittiness. I'd rather have a bunch of players flying around out there like farts in a skillet than being gritty. Turnover City. We'd be like West Virginia at their best with a full court press whistle to whistle farting around that court! Before you know it, poof we'd be gone for the long ball dunk.

valpopal

Quote from: bbtds on February 22, 2019, 10:30:43 PM
Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on February 22, 2019, 06:46:34 AMmere farts 💨 in a skillet 🍳 at this point.

I need to start using this phrase so I can see the quizzical look on people's faces.

Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo introduces "Fart in a Skillet" and his former player, Tim Bograkos, relates how Izzo used the phrase to describe his moves on the court:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxZJuVLBPfQ

valpopal

NativeCheesehead

VUGrad1314

Let's get this one and  take another step toward avoiding Thursday! Go Valpo!

wh

justducky

All season I've predicted we could be a very strong team for the stretch run. Are we healthy enough to make that happen? If so it is time to kick into high gear.

No Excuses-----I want to see us playing to our full potential. If we do that and UNI matches our effort it should be a heck of a game.  :thumbsup:

SanityLost17

Quote from: justducky on February 23, 2019, 11:11:59 AM
All season I've predicted we could be a very strong team for the stretch run. Are we healthy enough to make that happen? If so it is time to kick into high gear.

No Excuses-----I want to see us playing to our full potential. If we do that and UNI matches our effort it should be a heck of a game.  :thumbsup:

Fan base is at a pivotal moment right now.   These 2 road games may make or break a lot of them, and the effects may last well beyond this season.

That is how important it is we steal one of these games to ensure we are in the 4-6 discussion and not the 7-9 discussion.   End the season 5th and despite not playing to potential we would at least meet our pre-season expectations.  Finish 8th and the collective offseason negativity will be suffocating.

So.....No pressure Valpo players.....I mean....Its just a game.....Right?     

VU2014

Something I'll be watching is how AJ Green and the officiating our tonight. Literally more than half the time UNI would just run a high pick and roll for AJ Green and he would get to the basket. What was so frustrating was some of the clear moving screen violations that never got called against UNI. At least the refs were consistent but when that was basically the only thing working for them throughout some stretches of the game it was maddening to see the no call. I'm sure UNI will change up some of their strategy for tonight but I'll be curious if they go back to it.

I think UNI is a better team than when we last faced them and we're not quite as healthy since we last saw them, maybe. Golder says he feels like himself so that is a really good sign.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on February 23, 2019, 11:25:56 AMand we're not quite as healthy since we last saw them,

Fazekas was out when we played them last.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015