• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

elephtheria47

Not sure why people are okay with Smits leaving...I feel like there nights he was our best player. Averaged the most points. Was he inconsistent? Sure. But, we need someone to put the ball in the hoop and he was getting pretty good at that this year.

I would agree that he isnt going to go anywhere "major;" he could very well end up on the bench somewhere. But that's his decision to make. Curious to see who else, if anyone, is going to be following him out. Nucleus of a healthy fazekas, Freeman, sackey, and golder with sorolla providing the def is still a pretty solid foundation.

VU2014

I don't think losing Smits will be a catastrophic blow to next season but I don't think we'll be better for it either. Losing an experienced 7 footer doesn't make us better.

I think the offense will be more efficient at times though. When Smits was on the court he had to have the ball in iso scenario to make him a net benefit on the court. When we were injured and inefficient on offense at times he was a safety net when we had nothing else going for us.

VU2014

Doesn't have immediate eligibility but the type of guy I'd like to see us go after. A sharp shooter with size (6-5).

https://twitter.com/boettger_eli/status/1107856899116916737

bbtds

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 18, 2019, 05:00:18 PM
So Paul's article says Derrik wants to "hopefully play better competition."

My first reaction was "Like the fire. Can't blame him."

But then thinking a bit, Derrik was overall a B-/C+ player in the MVC, constantly getting bullied on the defensive end by guys 4-6 inches shorter than him. Does he think playing at a higher level will be better. If someone like Illinois gives him a shot does he really think playing one end of the floor will fly at a P5 school?

At the end of the day it's his career and he should do what he feels is best for him. And in his shoes I would likely do the same. If he wants to play in the pros he needs to go somewhere where he's not in a timeshare. But he's be better off going to somewhere like Northern Kentucky where there's a big hole with McDonald graduating.

Not really, NKU has a 7 footer in Vogt (7' 1"). He already fills the position that Derrik would take and he would be splitting time again. Actually in my view Vogt is already better than Derrik
on defense but maybe, only maybe better on offense next season and Vogt is going to be a junior. They also have Adheke at 6' 10" who is much better athletically.

valpo tundra

It looks like Smits is the first of several to go. At least those who stay will have a good time in Costa Rica this Summer. Derrik is a top notch human being and I wish him well.

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpo tundra on March 19, 2019, 02:02:57 AM
It looks like Smits is the first of several to go. At least those who stay will have a good time in Costa Rica this Summer. Derrik is a top notch human being and I wish him well.

With individual meetings wrapping up, I would guess we'll hear names by the end of the week.
Beamin' Beacons

VUGrad1314

If there's a mass Exodus coming of key contributors Lottich needs to follow them out the door. This is the year we were supposed to be good and it's being derailed before it even begins.

oklahomamick

Yes, but we suspected this.....
CRUSADERS!!!

FWalum

Quote from: valpo tundra on March 19, 2019, 02:02:57 AMAt least those who stay will have a good time in Costa Rica this Summer.

What is that suppose to mean? Did I miss something?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

crusader05

If we lose any combo of Bakari, Micah, or Mileek I'll be less worried than if we also lose Jay, or either of our freshman, or Golder.

humbleopinion

From Golder's twitter posts, it seems that he is looking forward to returning.
Beamin' Beacons

vuny98

Quote from: jloose128 on March 19, 2019, 02:28:09 PMhttps://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1108080901148151808?s=19 Next season is already over.

Smits I saw, this I didn't... huge blow. But again, I can't fault him for it. He showed he had elite talent this year. Hard to stay at a program that had a down year when you know you will have bigger teams courting you.

a3uge

This one hurts. Hopefully they can fill the spots with some shooters and guys that can move the ball. JFL was never that program changing recruit, so hoping we find a diamond in the rough with these open scholarships.

NativeCheesehead

Bakari gone as well.

PlumStreetBum

Curious to know - those of you who believe in Matt Lottich, has the spate of transfers changed your mind? Or does he deserve more time to prove he can build a program? Let's remember that Lottich's take was that there would be very little movement.

I don't think I'm alone when I say that, since we've now lost Smits, Evelyn and Freeman, we might as well blow it up now and start a real coaching search.

The next 4-6 years could really, really suck. Might as well suck in the pursuit of rebuilding the program instead of drowning with what we have in place now.

a3uge

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 19, 2019, 03:07:02 PM
Bakari gone as well.
This one is actually good news in what's going to be a rebuilding year.

vu72

Where the heck is Bakari going?, I sure didn't see JFL leaving but we are replacing one first team Illinois all stater with a bigger version.  Perhaps Gordon and Robinson are that good that Bakari saw his playing time down the drain.  Welcome to this version of college basketball.  It isn't Matt's fault, it is the AAU coaches constantly in the ear of these kids.  It started with Skara.  We just might be surprised by who fills these slots.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NativeCheesehead

The AAU coaches have been a part of this game for 30 years. Part of being a coach is managing this. This is completely on Matt.

EddieCabot

Seems from Twitter that Micah will be graduating in May.  Was that widely known?

justducky

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 19, 2019, 08:37:37 AM
If there's a mass Exodus coming of key contributors Lottich needs to follow them out the door. This is the year we were supposed to be good and it's being derailed before it even begins.

I'm done.

Somebody let me know when I should start bringing in the recking balls and leveling the ARC. I want to make sure that everybody is safely transferred out so they don't get hit with falling debris.

M

I'd bet a pretty penny that a bigger program or three got into JFL's ear.

Bakari and Smits aren't huge losses. JFL had his flaws but I was hoping he'd be a staple. Not sure the exodus is over.

Honestly it doesn't matter how good players are if you're losing 3-4-5 guys this offseason that's a bad look for your program.

VUBBFan

Looks like he'll be alright to play next year. We may need him if he doesn't transfer too.

https://twitter.com/barrybradford3/status/1108063185909805056

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUBBFan on March 19, 2019, 04:19:47 PM
Looks like he'll be alright to play next year. We may need him if he doesn't transfer too.

https://twitter.com/barrybradford3/status/1108063185909805056

One of the twitter responses mentions transferring, but it could just be a misunderstanding on that guy's part.  FWIW, Oren said on his podcast yesterday that he expected Micah to be leaving.