• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

tiny707

Let's get the two transfers from Bradley and two from Indiana State and we are done and can move forward.

NativeCheesehead

Why stop there?  Pretty sure LeBron has some eligibility left.

valpo84

LeBron's eligibility drove away in a Hummer 17 years ago....  And, you complained about the offense this year.... Plus, he would want to be the coach and GM, too, and we saw what he did to the Lakers this year....  8-) 

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on March 26, 2019, 06:02:53 PM
Tim Miles is leaving Nebraska. I wonder if former Valpo recruit Nana Akenten will test the transfer market. He was suspended on March 20th from the team for undisclosed reasons. Which I know will be an automatic rule out for consideration by some on this board. Not sure if the coaching staff would be willing to take a risk at this point. He's been a bit disappointing there but has been somewhat buried on the bench at times.

My gut says they don't go after red shirt guys because the coaches are in win now mode or probably should be for their jobs sake. Whatever they do I hope they keep the future of the team in mind when filling out the roster. Maybe they'll be gun shy on going after the future upside player in favor of the lowering ceiling player that could probably help immediately. Probably best to have a healthy mix of both on the roster. They need to find unselfish guys who want to play a team oriented game.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1110617603012247552

You could not be more correct. We just parted ways with Freeman (who I would welcome back in a heartbeat) and 3 malcontents. Turning the program around and heading north next year will be critical for Matt and his entire coaching staff, and more importantly the program at large. I want nothing short of 4 quality players with choir boy reputations.

valpopal

[tweet]1110944353667682304[/tweet]

Grand Canyon could be a good spot for Derrik. It is in a conference ranked above the MVC. The coach is a well-known former NBA player. The school is close to his family's new home. Verbal Commits shows no centers on the team. Great facilities. They have won more than 20 games each of the past three years. The game atmosphere is considered one of the best, and the student body turnout is legendary: see below. Makes me want to transfer there, or at least wish that Valpo's atmosphere was like this!

VUGrad1314

Happening Hoops would join you and Derrik on the next flight out. I've never seen somebody with no connection to a school shill harder for that school than he does for GCU.

VUGrad1314

I mentioned this on another thread but I'll repeat it here: If Smits didn't like playing for Lottich he will hate playing for Majerle who is very hard on his players also I don't think the WAC will outperform the MVC next year. Dixie State is joining and there will be a transition phase learning curve UMKC lost a lot and Chicago State is Chicago State. Meanwhile Bradley Missouri State UNI and Evansville are rising and Drake and Loyola should be solid

a3uge

Quote from: valpopal on March 27, 2019, 12:55:07 PM

Grand Canyon could be a good spot for Derrik. It is in a conference ranked above the MVC. The coach is a well-known former NBA player. The school is close to his family's new home. Verbal Commits shows no centers on the team. Great facilities. They have won more than 20 games each of the past three years. The game atmosphere is considered one of the best, and the student body turnout is legendary: see below. Makes me want to transfer there, or at least wish that Valpo's atmosphere was like this!

Which ranking places the WAC above the MVC?

valpopal

Quote from: a3uge on March 27, 2019, 01:20:03 PM
Quote from: valpopal on March 27, 2019, 12:55:07 PM

Which ranking places the WAC above the MVC?

I was just going by the fact that the WAC had a better non-conference winning record than the MVC, and its highest NET rating was 40 (New Mexico State) while the MVC's highest NET rating was 127 (Drake). In fact, the WAC had three teams (including Grand Canyon) in the top 100 NET ratings, while the MVC had none.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on March 26, 2019, 06:02:53 PMThey need to find unselfish guys who want to play a team oriented game.

This, I believe, is something you not only recruit for but also takes some games to develop. When certain teams go on summer trips to foreign lands, including Canada, the effect on the team can be extremely helpful for team cohesiveness during the season. Of course this is not something new.

VUGrad1314

Some food for thought from a Loyola fan on MVCFans....

After Loyola's first year in the valley (Moser's third at LU) the entire front court transferred, I think it ended up being 6 players leaving the program. Seemed like the sky was falling. They replaced those departed players with Ben Richardson, Donte Ingram, Montel James (Second team all valley), and Earl Peterson(CBI MVP). That following year LU won 24 games and won the CBI. Which might not sound glamorous but in reality it really catapulted the team forward. Sometimes it's about finding talented guys who are really bought in; could be a blessing in disguise for Valpo.

crusader05

I have definitely thought about this and this is partly why I think we need to give Lottich some time. I think there's a difference between recruiting a player with a high level of skills and recruiting a player you know how to motivate and coach.

It could really just be that Lottich had players around him that were not going to click wit his coaching style. He may have to learn some different techniques but he also may need to look at other signs of what time of player is going to engage positively with his team culture.

He really praised Kiser and Sackey seemed to respond. He also had really positive things to say about Mileek's work ethic. I think he may respond better to players who are going to grind it out, dig deeper, and not respond to frustration with a more volatile attitude. Some other players may need some help finding that motivation to overcome adversity but he seemed baffled when players, frustrated with their play, shut down and didn't just dig deeper.

GoldenCrusader87

MLB made it very clear that Matt IS the guy. So, no more discussion is needed. It is what it is. Take it or leave it. Might as well move on and start talking about how to make the most of it. I'll do my best not to say anything more about my thoughts regarding the situation. People know by know that I don't think he's the guy. I think there were definitely issues in all sides. Attitudes, me mentalities, etc. - but, I also have yet to see how Matt possesses the leadership skills and competence and charisma needed to take this program to the next level. His assistants leave. His players leave. The students leave. The fans leave. But, alas it's MLB's guy. I don't support it, but I don't matter. It is what it is. The whole team could transfer and he'd be the guy. Along with his sucky offense and lack of ingenuity. Buckle up folks, it's gonna be a boring ride as we drive in circles around the Land of Mediocrity.

Last post on the topic. Because it doesn't matter. We don't know anything.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: crusader05 on March 28, 2019, 10:58:41 AM
I have definitely thought about this and this is partly why I think we need to give Lottich some time. I think there's a difference between recruiting a player with a high level of skills and recruiting a player you know how to motivate and coach.

It could really just be that Lottich had players around him that were not going to click wit his coaching style. He may have to learn some different techniques but he also may need to look at other signs of what time of player is going to engage positively with his team culture.

He really praised Kiser and Sackey seemed to respond. He also had really positive things to say about Mileek's work ethic. I think he may respond better to players who are going to grind it out, dig deeper, and not respond to frustration with a more volatile attitude. Some other players may need some help finding that motivation to overcome adversity but he seemed baffled when players, frustrated with their play, shut down and didn't just dig deeper.

This season I'm sure tested even Matt's resolve. I can't blame a single kid that got down or disheartened. Those home losses down the stretch--each one a kidney shot--and a 2-10 finish. At some point the answer isn't just dig deeper. Sometimes there's no place left to dig. That's what I think happened to Javon (and Markus if he leaves). They gave their absolute all and there was nothing left to give.

crusader05

I agree that this was a rough seasons. I think it's more just that coaches have different styles that work with different types of players. I don't know if Matt knows how to the coach the more emotional or reactive types of players.

GoldenCrusader87

You learn to handle different situations, types of players, in-game, and between game issues and challenges and successes from coaching. When you enter your division 1 head coaching experience with three total years of coaching at the end of the bench, why would any of us (myself included) expect him to know how to deal with stuff? Someday he will. It may be a long, painful road until that day. But, someday.

valpo64

An earlier comment said something about maybe we don't know anything.  I have to agree...some comments made recently show that some don't know anything, or very little at best.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpo64 on March 28, 2019, 08:56:46 PMAn earlier comment said something about maybe we don't know anything.  I have to agree...some comments made recently show that some don't know anything, or very little at best.

Care to contribute something that isn't just taking a shot at people with valid concerns about the program and its direction but with whom you disagree?

may know

"Some food for thought from a Loyola fan on MVCFans....

After Loyola's first year in the valley (Moser's third at LU) the entire front court transferred, I think it ended up being 6 players leaving the program. Seemed like the sky was falling. They replaced those departed players with Ben Richardson, Donte Ingram, Montel James (Second team all valley), and Earl Peterson(CBI MVP). That following year LU won 24 games and won the CBI. Which might not sound glamorous but in reality it really catapulted the team forward. Sometimes it's about finding talented guys who are really bought in; could be a blessing in disguise for Valpo."

I see the self-anointed MOST police are trying to censor you again. Your posts are always informative and researched and actually the reason I read that site.  :) That guy's quite self-absorbed to want to control what's allowed because it doesn't suit his reading needs.

FWalum

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on March 28, 2019, 01:38:54 PM
You learn to handle different situations, types of players, in-game, and between game issues and challenges and successes from coaching. When you enter your division 1 head coaching experience with three total years of coaching at the end of the bench, why would any of us (myself included) expect him to know how to deal with stuff? Someday he will. It may be a long, painful road until that day. But, someday.
Not sure why you want to limit Matt's experience to the 3 years as an assistant.  His experience as a high level DI player and 9 years as a professional player for 4 different organizations and at least 4 different coaches doesn't count for anything?? Players don't pickup any knowledge from the coaches they played for or the experiences they had with the interactions of coaches and teammates? If that is true then there are a lot of coaches running around without much experience.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FWalum on March 29, 2019, 12:03:55 PM
Not sure why you want to limit Matt's experience to the 3 years as an assistant.  His experience as a high level DI player and 9 years as a professional player for 4 different organizations and at least 4 different coaches doesn't count for anything?? Players don't pickup any knowledge from the coaches they played for or the experiences they had with the interactions of coaches and teammates? If that is true then there are a lot of coaches running around without much experience.

You may be right on added experience but just because you're a good sales person (with good mentors as you are saying) doesn't mean that managing people is even remotely understood.  Managing ppl is difficult, managing cocky 20 somethings is quite another level.

FWalum

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 29, 2019, 12:40:57 PM
Quote from: FWalum on March 29, 2019, 12:03:55 PM

You may be right on added experience but just because you're a good sales person (with good mentors as you are saying) doesn't mean that managing people is even remotely understood.  Managing ppl is difficult, managing cocky 20 somethings is quite another level.
I agree, I don't think that we have seen enough from Matt yet to make a determination on his abilities.  His first year went very well considering the situations that were thrown at him. His management of the team during the controversial Jubril suspension kept things together and the team winning. I don't think there were many if any people saying that he was out of his depth after the first year. He is experiencing similar trends to many of the coaches we have talked about on the board as being good coaches, Porter Moser and Ben Jacobson.  Would we be talking about Loyola if they had let Moser go after his first 5 years and a record of 71-91? I haven't been over to the MVC forum lately, but are the NIU posters going crazy about Jacobson being 46-50 the last 3 years?

Am I happy about the last 2 years, absolutely not, improvements need to be made in all areas, not just coaching, but two years of unacceptable wins and losses does not make a coaching career.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

mj

Quote from: FWalum on March 29, 2019, 01:09:07 PMduring the controversial Jubril suspension

Did we ever learn why he was suspended?
I believe that we will win.

FWalum

Quote from: mj on March 29, 2019, 09:33:45 PM
Quote from: FWalum on March 29, 2019, 01:09:07 PMduring the controversial Jubril suspension

Did we ever learn why he was suspended?

Something academic involving him and David Skara. That is why Skara was suspended for 9 games during the 17-18 season. 

wh

P.J. Carlesimo was the color commentator on radio for the Kentucky/Houston game. After both teams started 1-5 from 3, he said it's more important for Houston to pick up their outside shooting. He said Kentucky was big enough and strong enough to score inside even when Houston packed their defense in.

That got me thinking that we absolutely need to recruit a physically strong powerful forward who can score and mix it up inside inside. To Carlesimo's point, its 1 thing to have 3 cold perimeter shooters; it's entitely different to have 4.