• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

swiftmutiny

NativeCheesehead

Suddenly the "Last one out turn off the lights" joke isn't funny anymore.

vu84v2

To me, Sorolla leaving (after Smits, Freeman, etc. announced that they are leaving) is the last straw. This is a clear indication that the program is in shambles. A key aspect of coaching and leadership is that you attract, develop and retain talent. I tend to be more patient in calling for dismissal, but Matt Lottich needs to be dismissed immediately in as professional a manner as possible. With skilled and respected players leaving (and I know that not all players leaving fit this definition), it is very unrealistic to expect that a Valpo team coached by Matt Lottich can attract talent that will make Valpo competitive (or better) in the MVC.

I do also wonder if there might be reverse causality at play here. In other words, the players believe that Matt Lottich is leaving and are therefore deciding to leave themselves. I have no way of knowing if this is true - just throwing out an alternative idea.

VULB#62

It obviously isn't about playing time. He would have seen 30 to mid 30s in minutes every game.  He was gonna be "The Man" in the middle.   :(

NativeCheesehead

The absolute worst case scenario here is Matt cobbles together a roster that wins 12-14 games, MLB decrees progress and gives him a contract extension.

Lottich is what he is. I actually still think he's got a really good career in front of him. But he's not ready. He needs at least another 5-7 years as an assistant.

The leadership question goes higher. Many on this board have astutely suggested that MLB meet with as many of the current and (soon to be) former players and get a bead on what the hell is happening in that locker room. I imagine we wouldn't know if/when that happened. But if it hasn't, there's your leadership failure.

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 05, 2019, 09:45:00 AM
The absolute worst case scenario here is Matt cobbles together a roster that wins 12-14 games, MLB decrees progress and gives him a contract extension.

Lottich is what he is. I actually still think he's got a really good career in front of him. But he's not ready. He needs at least another 5-7 years as an assistant.

The leadership question goes higher. Many on this board have astutely suggested that MLB meet with as many of the current and (soon to be) former players and get a bead on what the hell is happening in that locker room. I imagine we wouldn't know if/when that happened. But if it hasn't, there's your leadership failure.

I thought ML had a 4 year deal but I thought I remember Michael mentioning it was a 5 year deal.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 05, 2019, 09:37:11 AM
It obviously isn't about playing time. He would have seen 30 to mid 30s in minutes every game.  He was gonna be "The Man" in the middle.   :(

It's about money. He graduated.  He goes back to Spain (or where ever) and starts earning a pay check.  The same thing every student who graduates does.  I think we may be picking kids who can graduate in three years and that creates a grad transfer situation or a grad go to work situation.  I was reading somewhere about a Valpo player who, after playing professionally, came back to Valpo to finish his degree.  That means he didn't graduate in four years.

What a mess...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VALPO LI

Wow I didn't see that coming-
Time for the next man to step up McMillan and Kiser or do we try to recruit another big?
Shine on Vu

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on April 05, 2019, 10:05:32 AM

It's about money. He graduated.  He goes back to Spain (or where ever) and starts earning a pay check.  The same thing every student who graduates does.  I think we may be picking kids who can graduate in three years and that creates a grad transfer situation or a grad go to work situation.  I was reading somewhere about a Valpo player who, after playing professionally, came back to Valpo to finish his degree.  That means he didn't graduate in four years.

What a mess...

I saw Jay on campus yesterday and I learned this news, but I waited until it was made official. Despite my belief all along that Jay would graduate at the end of the semester and go pro in Europe, my understanding now is that he wants to see if he can be a grad transfer to a good situation.

valpolaw

I'd agree that it was all about the money for Jay except it says he is transferring and not going pro so this situation isn't all about the money.  It's something else that he was unhappy about apparently.  He was going to play substantial minutes next year and decided to transfer  :crazy:   Makes you wonder why and what in the world is going on.  We could very well see another transfer.....maybe Micah? 

justducky

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 05, 2019, 09:45:00 AMThe leadership question goes higher. Many on this board have astutely suggested that MLB meet with as many of the current and (soon to be) former players and get a bead on what the hell is happening in that locker room. I imagine we wouldn't know if/when that happened. But if it hasn't, there's your leadership failure.

I no longer have any confidence in Lottich.

Many early indicators suggest that MLB has fallen far short as well.

Fire everybody. Start over.

M

I took in open gym last night. Micah, Sackey and Mileek where there and all played very well....guess they're about all we got left now. 

I guess on the bright side I'd say that only 1 out of the 5 transfers will be an impact player at their next location.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on April 05, 2019, 10:14:18 AMmy understanding now is that he wants to see if he can be a grad transfer to a good situation.

What is the veiled/not so veiled meaning here?  P5?  Nope.  More playing time?  Nope. Softer coach?  Better teammates?  Brighter colored uniforms? Bigger beds?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NativeCheesehead

He wants to do less laundry.

Just Sayin

Taller female population.

vu84v2

Quote from: vu72 on April 05, 2019, 11:00:49 AM
Quote from: valpopal on April 05, 2019, 10:14:18 AMmy understanding now is that he wants to see if he can be a grad transfer to a good situation.

What is the veiled/not so veiled meaning here?  P5?  Nope.  More playing time?  Nope. Softer coach?  Better teammates?  Brighter colored uniforms? Bigger beds?

I am not so sure that Soralla won't end up at a P5/Big East team if he is realistic (meaning that he understands that he is a role player and not the star). He has good defensive skills and 'you cannot teach big'. In fact, I would not be surprised to see he or Smits end up at Butler.

SanityLost17

I would love to know if MLB is having exit interviews and what these players are saying.  Because none of us really know the exact nature of what is going on here without that intel.   Was there 1 or 2 dynamic personality in the locker room creating a negative feedback loop that led us here or is Lottich really that bad of a coach that players felt like they had to leave. 

Take this with a grain of salt as I coach a different sport at a different level, I can tell you I have had 4 players all give up on me and their teammates around the same time due to 1 negative voice in the locker room using every waking moment to spout on to friends and family about how bad a coach I was despite the fact that every player that bought in to the program was having success.  A negative voice that I should have removed long before I let it effect the attitudes of their teammates, parents, etc.   

Maybe it is Lottich's fault and he needs to go, but being a coach that has seen unwarranted mutiny, I can't say for sure he is entirely to blame although I know that is the easiest conclusion to reach.

I wish I knew what the players who are not transferring are thinking as well.   Is there a sense of relief or terror?   If there is a sense of relief it is because all players not bought in are gone and its time to get to work.  If there is a sense of terror than that points to Lottich driving players away.   Either way NONE of us have all the info and probably never will.  If MLB is doing he job he should have all this info so that he can make a wise decision on how to proceed.     

GoldenCrusader87

Any of you who are still holding out hope ... God bless you for your optimism. Sorry - I can't be with you. I jumped off this wagon many months ago. Wish I had a reason to come back on.

VUGrad1314

So  instead of playing big minutes in hopes of a big season to line up a big payday Sorolla leaves Not good The decision to keep Lottich only looks worse I'm sorry it's just a fact

FieldGoodie05

Sorry Coach Lottich...I'm going to have to vote no confidence.  I hate to be over reactive here, but who survives (5) transfers and back-2-back losing seasons anymore?

If he stays it's because our Board of Directors is short term minded and not medium/long term (financially) on athletics.

I'm tired of saying wait and see here, and yes this is all emotions.  The real question is can we recruit a coach of any caliber with our budget and facilities.  If the answer is "maybe" then .......I just don't know.  It's backwards to say "fire him" without having a good idea of what's next.

justducky

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 05, 2019, 12:45:44 PMIt's backwards to say "fire him" without having a good idea of what's next.

Then call me backwards. Lottich should be fired and everybody else including MLB should offer their resignations. The only thing we have left to salvage is the future of our program.

valpopal

This situation has reached a point, if not beyond, where something dramatic needs to be done in order to offer hope to the fans. Lottich doesn't have time to rebuild with a freshman class or transfers that have to sit out, and he must know he has to roll the dice. He might have to try to fill the five transfer openings with an all-star fab five of grad transfers or juco players to add immediately with Gordon, Robinson, Fazekas, Kiser, McMillan, Sackey, and the incoming freshman, Clay. To me, Bradford is still questionable. Explaining this strategy of immediate impact to the prospective players could help get commitments. Maybe it would be a team that surprises everyone. The only chance moving forward is to get lucky with the transfers enough to post a decent year that will entice future recruits. Also, from a public relations standpoint, it would be better if the new players were announced sooner rather than later in order to turn around the current negative direction of momentum.

VU2014

I'm still for letting him coach next year but my Lord is this just one giant mess. 5 guys left. FIVE. I don't want to hear any BS or spin job about this just being CBB these days. 5 transfer are NOT normal!! This falls on the staff.

Mark LaBarbra better be looking into coaching candidates for next offseason starting now. Coach Lottich better pull a rabbit out of his hat next season and having a shockingly good season to justify saving his job. I don't mean mediocre. I mean clearly arrow pointing up season with young future impact talent players (that currently don't even exist on this roster).

I've seriously had enough of this. I'll plug my nose and tolerate next season but after that we better be headed in a new direction at the top if he doesn't have a surprisingly good season.

valpolaw

Time for a restart. We need to clean house from the top down. Some things just don't always work out as planned. When it doesn't, it's best to be realistic and start over fresh. We can't accept being mediocre for the next 5 years. We've accepted it the last few years and enough is enough.

humbleopinion

I would like this thread to start talking more about transfers in than transfers out.  It would have to raise morale for the players still in the gym to hear about some new team mates.
Beamin' Beacons