• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Preseason Canada Trip

Started by bbtds, August 05, 2019, 07:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSWIM08-12

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Javon Freeman-Liberty is 🔥

CPkValpoFan

Any idea what halftime score is?

VUBBFan

FWalum

Came out really flat in the second half so far.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FWalum on August 14, 2019, 07:08:46 PM

Agreed, think we are tired?  Not really pushing the tempo.

vu72

Looks like a blowout.  I like what I saw from Krikke.  Siggie looks a little out of control.  Great shooting again.  Look forward to seeing the stats against a team we obviously should have beaten easily.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

Anyone know the final score?

govalpogo

81-68.  Looks like it was freshmen and Zion for the last 6 minutes or so.  I *think* the walk on's played the last 2ish minutes. 

PlumStreetBum

That trip was a lot more fun than I thought it would be... but damn, now we gotta wait 12 weeks for more hoops.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: govalpogo on August 14, 2019, 07:52:03 PM
81-68.  Looks like it was freshmen and Zion for the last 6 minutes or so.  I *think* the walk on's played the last 2ish minutes.

That's what I saw as well.  Also was a stretch in the first half where it appeared we stretched the lead and played a walk-on who quickly scored, no?

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on August 14, 2019, 07:26:17 PM

Well, 4 games in the past 5 days, on the road, 1 game in O.T., along with touring, riding the rapids, going to bed late and getting up early. They can probably be forgiven for being a little listless tonight (if they even were). lol

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on August 14, 2019, 08:35:05 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on August 14, 2019, 07:26:17 PM

Well, 4 games in the past 5 days, on the road, 1 game in O.T., along with touring, riding the rapids, going to bed late and getting up early. They can probably be forgiven for being a little listless tonight (if they even were). lol

Undoubtedly, also think when the boxscore posts we'll see a lot of minutes spread around.  Zion and Siggy run different speeds than the Canadian bullet!

VULB#62

Great trip. Great results. Wow, we beat the annually best Canadian college MBB  team that beat some very prominent US P-5/6 teams in exhibitions.

What, 12 weeks until the season starts? OK. My totally uninformed and football-oriented mind tells me that this is a great team-building experience. It tells me that this team will be resilient and has a never-giveup mindset. It tells me that there are some really exciting kids on this team that make me smile a lot both with their on-court performances as well as their off-court spirit.

Then I think about the reality that we face. Comparatively speaking we know nothing. The MVC grind exposes every weakness and every shortcoming. And that awaits us and we are yet to see how those machups wil play out.

So my reactions to this trip are:

> Elated that these kids and their coach have experienced 4 good wins.
> Happy for the opportunity they all had to come together after such a disappointing season last year.
> Cautious about projecting all this into great success this next season.
> Wary about placing too much pressure on these young kids.
> Waiting for the OCC schedule to see how our kids will be challenged to continue this trend.
> Forcing myself to not be overly optimistic for fear of being disappointed — but really, really hoping for a leap in improvement by the end of February  ;D

govalpogo

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on August 14, 2019, 08:17:45 PM
Quote from: govalpogo on August 14, 2019, 07:52:03 PM

That's what I saw as well.  Also was a stretch in the first half where it appeared we stretched the lead and played a walk-on who quickly scored, no?

Hadn't seen the 2Q, but yes it does appear that both got some run and Morrill hit a quick 3.  Looked good too.

wh

VUGrad1314

5 days 4 games including one against a total powerhouse. 4-0. One blowout One comeback and one OT thriller. I love the early returns from this group but it's a completely different thing to be playing NCAA D1 teams in November and MVC teams in Januray and February. See (hopefully some of) ya'll in November for the Toledo game! Go Valpo!

Just Sayin

vu72

So I just checked the stats for the four game trip and found that Javon shot 44% from the 3 and 85% from the line. The presumed starting five of Javon, Eron, Nick, Mileek and Daniel,shot a combined 42% from the 3 and 78% from the line.  Interestingly enough, Mileek was 6 of 9 from the 3 and didn't shoot a free throw during the trip.

I think this bodes well for the season particularly seeing that our presumed best shooter didn't even play.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on August 15, 2019, 08:37:50 AM
So I just checked the stats for the four game trip and found that Javon shot 44% from the 3 and 85% from the line. The presumed starting five of Javon, Eron, Nick, Mileek and Daniel,shot a combined 42% from the 3 and 78% from the line.  Interestingly enough, Mileek was 6 of 9 from the 3 and didn't shoot a free throw during the trip.

I think this bodes well for the season particularly seeing that our presumed best shooter didn't even play.

I know we're trying to keep our expressions of positivity in check, but come on!  I don't care what the competition was or wasn't, these numbers are amazing. Bodes well for the season? Yeah, I'd say so! lol

justducky

Quote from: wh on August 15, 2019, 09:05:53 AM

I know we're trying to keep our expressions of positivity in check, but come on!  I don't care what the competition was or wasn't, these numbers are amazing. Bodes well for the season? Yeah, I'd say so! lol

Outside shooting success changes everything. If either half of the Smirolla had stuck around they or it could have reaped the benefits of single coverage under the basket!  :o  Krikke and McMillan could benefit greatly from their departure.

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on August 15, 2019, 09:05:53 AM

Valpo's performance in Canada has not gone unnoticed by beat writers and other media around the MVC.  I expect Valpo to be top half in the MVC pre-season poll this year.

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on August 15, 2019, 01:07:15 PMValpo's performance in Canada has not gone unnoticed by beat writers and other media around the MVC.  I expect Valpo to be top half in the MVC pre-season poll this year.

Nobody on the MVC fan forum has noticed and even we don't seem to know what to make of it. I had to check 72 to see if his math was right and it seems to be correct.  :thumbsup:

For the trip I have Freeman at 9-18 from outside. Lorange 2-8, Morgan 1-3 (isn't he supposed to be a good 3 point shooter shooter?) Sackey was a prolific 8-25. Clay 2-11,  Gordon 5-13, Robinson 5-6 and McMillan 6-9. Krikke didn't hit any of a bunch but his form didn't look awful.

Thoughts?

VUGrad1314

Small sample size. Let those who are billed as shooters grow into it. If we're 7-9 games into the season and they're still struggling then it may be time to raise some alarm bells especially if it continues well into conference play; however, based on the trip alone I'm willing to look more at the defensive intensity the increased scoring and the results (four wins including Carleton who throttled one of the best teams in school history a few years ago) and say that this was extremely positive and a good sign for the season going forward. As they get back into practice and jell together as a team they should get progressively better and the shooters will find their level. Remember our best shooter didn't even play on this trip.