• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Heckler to Retire: New President Search

Started by valpopal, August 08, 2019, 04:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

vu84v2 is full of it. My fraternity always supported my stupidity. But Cheryl was certainly a quality leader at Valpo and a top student. She was dean at the college of engineering at Boise St., that was president at Missouri S&T, an excellent technical school. She is now president at Wright State and as mentioned she cleaned up a mess.

NotBryceDrew

Since it seems like Kirk Farney is 1/3 of the finalists can can anyone confirm the other 2? As we have discussed Kraig Olejniczak was in the running but did he make final 3 candidates? Cheryl Schaefer was just brought up but haven't heard about her in the running until now.

I checked emails and news but haven't seen update.

vu84v2

I do not know if Kraig was ever a candidate, let alone a finalist. I heard the rumor, but it was never confirmed. There was never a rumor about Cheryl, but she or Kraig would seem to be good possible choices.

usc4valpo

Vu84v2 - just to be on the record - I am not throwing a rumor or report as I am not employed by Fox (not attractive enough), CNN or MSNBC ( can't throw conspiracy theories like Maddox). I am only suggesting.

vu84v2

usc4valpo - I never thought that you were. I just wanted to make sure that others did not misread our comments and start a rumor.

valpo95

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 16, 2020, 09:29:20 AMCheryl Schaefer

FWIW, Cheryl Schrader stepped down as president of Wright State at the end of 2019. As near as I can tell, she stepped into a major financial crisis, and a subsequent strike by the faculty. After settling the strike and getting the university back on sound financial footing, she no longer had the trust/support of the faculty and decided to step down half way into her five year term as president. Still, it would seem like she would be a good candidate.

https://webapp2.wright.edu/web1/newsroom/2019/12/23/the-guardian-whats-next-for-wright-state-president-cheryl-schrader/

valpo95

Apparently, there are three candidates visiting campus, two this week and one next week. A schedule is available, yet no names posted.

https://www.valpo.edu/presidentialsearch/

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

loschwitz

vu84v2

Quote from: valpo95 on February 16, 2020, 07:59:19 PM
Apparently, there are three candidates visiting campus, two this week and one next week. A schedule is available, yet no names posted.

https://www.valpo.edu/presidentialsearch/

Very interesting that Valpo has open events for students, staff and faculty to attend and meet candidates. This is really an open search, which is not that common for private universities. The university and board should be commended for enabling such a full disclosure and review of the candidates.

78crusader

If this guy from Wheaton is a finalist, I say: Good.

I hope VU doesn't let a small group of perpetually offended, politically correct whiners get in the way of selecting someone who has actually done something with his life.

Maybe instead of coming up with a list of demands/insults disguised as "questions" for this guy, maybe these students should, you know, actually LISTEN to what someone with a different perspective has to say.  Maybe they'd learn something.  Oh yeah, I forgot - we are supposed to yield to their belief system in the name of tolerance.   

Wheaton has an outstanding academic reputation.  A reputation as a school that doesn't back away from the core tenets of the Christian faith.  An endowment that is nearly double that of VU.  Highly selective  - so many kids apply there they have a wait list -- I know this for a fact since my daughters went there, and one of them with 29 ACT, valedictorian, and all-state basketball player credentials was wait-listed.  It is a fine place, and if we can hire someone from a school like that, we are on the right path.

Paul

loschwitz

Another possibility might be Kurt Senske; a Valpo grad and CEO of Lutheran Social Services of the South.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: 78crusader on February 17, 2020, 08:23:22 AMIf this guy from Wheaton is a finalist, I say: Good. I hope VU doesn't let a small group of perpetually offended, politically correct whiners get in the way of selecting someone who has actually done something with his life. Maybe instead of coming up with a list of demands/insults disguised as "questions" for this guy, maybe these students should, you know, actually LISTEN to what someone with a different perspective has to say.  Maybe they'd learn something.  Oh yeah, I forgot - we are supposed to yield to their belief system in the name of tolerance. Wheaton has an outstanding academic reputation.  A reputation as a school that doesn't back away from the core tenets of the Christian faith.  An endowment that is nearly double that of VU.  Highly selective  - so many kids apply there they have a wait list -- I know this for a fact since my daughters went there, and one of them with 29 ACT, valedictorian, and all-state basketball player credentials was wait-listed.  It is a fine place, and if we can hire someone from a school like that, we are on the right path. Paul

I realize there are many other concerns besides athletics but is hiring someone with a D3 background really wise when we're trying to establish ourselves in the MVC? Furthermore, I don't want to see Valpo go down the path of becoming a socially repressive place where people don't feel welcome and able to live their lives. We don't want to become another Oral Roberts do we? It's not a good look on the national stage if that's the path we choose.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 17, 2020, 02:53:11 PM
Quote from: 78crusader on February 17, 2020, 08:23:22 AMIf this guy from Wheaton is a finalist, I say: Good. I hope VU doesn't let a small group of perpetually offended, politically correct whiners get in the way of selecting someone who has actually done something with his life. Maybe instead of coming up with a list of demands/insults disguised as "questions" for this guy, maybe these students should, you know, actually LISTEN to what someone with a different perspective has to say.  Maybe they'd learn something.  Oh yeah, I forgot - we are supposed to yield to their belief system in the name of tolerance. Wheaton has an outstanding academic reputation.  A reputation as a school that doesn't back away from the core tenets of the Christian faith.  An endowment that is nearly double that of VU.  Highly selective  - so many kids apply there they have a wait list -- I know this for a fact since my daughters went there, and one of them with 29 ACT, valedictorian, and all-state basketball player credentials was wait-listed.  It is a fine place, and if we can hire someone from a school like that, we are on the right path. Paul

I realize there are many other concerns besides athletics but is hiring someone with a D3 background really wise when we're trying to establish ourselves in the MVC? Furthermore, I don't want to see Valpo go down the path of becoming a socially repressive place where people don't feel welcome and able to live their lives. We don't want to become another Oral Roberts do we? It's not a good look on the national stage if that's the path we choose.

I really doubt Valpo would hire someone with values/beliefs that would exclude homosexuals or even premarital sex.  Specifically, Valpo has hired (relatively recently) an Assistant Provost for Inclusion.  I doubt Wheaton has such a position, I really don't have any idea. Read the "safe zone" As for the D3 stuff. This guy has a long professional career in business not a long career at any college level.  My guess is that he is being considered for his financial prowess given the challenges facing universities across the nation.

https://www.valpo.edu/provost/leadership/stacey-miller/

https://www.valpo.edu/student-senate/committees/diversity-inclusion-committee/

https://www.valpo.edu/inclusion/resources/safe-zone/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Just Sayin

Quote from: vu72 on February 17, 2020, 04:03:37 PMI really doubt Valpo would hire someone with values/beliefs that would exclude homosexuals or even premarital sex.

Exactly. Valpo, a Lutheran University would celebrate homosexuality and premarital sex just like Jesus did.

vu72

Quote from: Just Sayin on February 17, 2020, 04:07:52 PM
Quote from: vu72 on February 17, 2020, 04:03:37 PMI really doubt Valpo would hire someone with values/beliefs that would exclude homosexuals or even premarital sex.

Exactly. Valpo, a Lutheran University would celebrate homosexuality and premarital sex just like Jesus did.

I'll leave the judging up to you.  Then again, perhaps you should let Jesus do that as well.

Just Sayin

Quote from: vu72 on February 17, 2020, 04:20:26 PM
I'll leave the judging up to you.  Then again, perhaps you should let Jesus do that as well.

So in your judgement, homosexuality and premarital sex are acceptable lifestyles according to Scripture? (The Word of God, God Jesus)
They are not sins? We should accept them and those who commit them in the name of diversity and inclusion?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Just Sayin on February 17, 2020, 04:24:17 PM

So in your judgement, homosexuality and premarital sex are acceptable lifestyles according to Scripture? (The Word of God, God Jesus)
They are not sins? We should accept them and those who commit them in the name of diversity and inclusion?

You can hate me and others for this, but "religious" is only a piece of why many of us chose Valpo.  I personally don't care what you do behind close doors as two consenting adults.  I'd be interested to survey alumni and current students to identify rank of importance regarding A) selection of Valpo and B) reason for completing education at Valpo.

Me personally:
1) Academics
2) Athletics
3) Size of school
4) Located within 5 hours of home
5) Lutheran

And this is coming from a Lutheran Ministers grandson.

M

Yes those people should be accepted. Kind've a silly question, this is 2020.

Just Sayin

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 17, 2020, 04:45:23 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on February 17, 2020, 04:24:17 PM
So in your judgement, homosexuality and premarital sex are acceptable lifestyles according to Scripture? (The Word of God, God Jesus) They are not sins? We should accept them and those who commit them in the name of diversity and inclusion?
You can hate me and others for this, but "religious" is only a piece of why many of us chose Valpo.  I personally don't care what you do behind close doors as two consenting adults.  I'd be interested to survey alumni and current students to identify rank of importance regarding A) selection of Valpo and B) reason for completing education at Valpo. Me personally: 1) Academics 2) Athletics 3) Size of school 4) Located within 5 hours of home 5) Lutheran And this is coming from a Lutheran Ministers grandson.

Neither do I.

Just Sayin

Quote from: M on February 17, 2020, 04:47:17 PMYes those people should be accepted. Kind've a silly question, this is 2020.

Seems to me it's the university's call as to who will and will not be accepted in accordance with its mission and unique identity as a Lutheran University.

M

Religion gets in the way of a lot of things that should be easy.

Just Sayin

Quote from: M on February 17, 2020, 04:59:12 PMReligion gets in the way of a lot of things that should be easy.

Yep. It should be banned.

M

Nah, religion shouldn't be completely banned.

Anyways, hope the remaining two candidates have a more open minded background and will welcome more diversity in our student body and grow enrollment.

vu84v2

Quote from: Just Sayin on February 17, 2020, 04:51:39 PM

Quote from: M on February 17, 2020, 04:47:17 PMYes those people should be accepted. Kind've a silly question, this is 2020.

Seems to me it's the university's call as to who will and will not be accepted in accordance with its mission and unique identity as a Lutheran University.

True. And the university will need to answer to its alumni and donors, who are not likely to support any practices associated with discriminating against gays, people from other Christian faiths, non-Christians, etc.