• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #2: CCSU @ VUFB, 9/14, 1:00

Started by VULB#62, August 30, 2019, 09:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Watching the Central Connecticut game on ESPN+, I doubt Valpo will be able to run the ball at all. They have a couple of DTs who just control the LOS completely. Merrimack had a decent amount of yards passing 287 but threw it 43 times to do so. Meanwhile Central Connecticut averaged over 7 yards per rush and 8 yards per pass. The QB running around will be a problem for Valpo. Merrimack was in the game because of a pick 6 and the recovery of an onside kick for the most part. They were completely outplayed.

With that said, Merrimack's first Div I FCS's game was vs Virginia University of Lynchburg which is a school which is a bit better than the complete waste of time school Valpo played a few years ago but not much better.

usc4valpo

If you go by Sagarin, CCSU is a 26 point favorite over the Crusaders at beautiful Brown Field.

Now that I am into the Sagarin ratings, if USC play Valpo at Brown Field, the now 24th ranked Trojans would be favored by 71.

If Clemson played at Brown Field they would be favored by 89.5 points.

JD24

Tell Dabo to put up or shut up!!!

I haven't looked all that closely but if Valpo is a 26 point underdog, I'd take Valpo. 16-17 maybe.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 02, 2019, 06:22:34 PMThoughts after valpo football weekly 1) Fox did not use scholarships as a reason for loss. Said they made mistakes and they will work to fix them. Said he would not embrace the loser mentality. 2) said Duncan is there guy,and wanted to get him reps. Seewald still week to week with injuries. Fox is a no excuse coach and it's becoming more and more evident. From a program standpoint this is outstanding. I will be shocked if Seewald takes a snap this season.

I'd much rather listen to Coach Fox's no excuse comments over something such as this after a 20 point loss:

Quote"The glimpses are there," Cecchini said. "We're excited as a coaching staff. We see the flashes of brilliance. We see the potential that our guys have. Right now, we're just inexperienced, and not just inexperienced at playing football but inexperienced in the offensive scheme as well. It's a frustrating part of that growing and maturing that needs to take place. At times, it's going to be one step up, two steps back, then it's going to be two steps up, one step back, and then, all of a sudden, we're going to have a quarter where it's all clicking. The more our players grow in our system, the more consistent they'll be at making plays."
Please note that the above was not after one of Valpo's losses over the last 5 years but Saturday's Bucknell loss to Sacred Heart even if the same tired inexperience refrain was repeated.

valpofb16

Week 2 Depth chart changes:

RG: Joe Monahan has been removed, likely a RS season
WR-SLOT: Oscar Lopez has replaced Trey Stablein
QB: No longer Duncan OR Seewald, Duncan is the starter
RB: Boxrucker is listed on DC, looked best of bunch against EKU
CB: Jalen Allen has been listed as a backup, Sherman is now the starter over LeAndre, Stacey Jones has dropped out if DC
KR: Reese has been labeled as an additional return man

Overall things to look for

1) Stability on offense, not looking for an outstanding game but at least the ability to string drives together.
2) Limit big plays on defense, make the opposing team work for points
3) ST's limit errors moving forward. Bounce back game for Latsonas.

Predictions: 24-7 CCSU, Think defense will look better and more similar athletic wise to other team. Not a ton of faith in our offense. Hope I am wrong.

VULB#62

It's a hard call this one. I'm hoping for a close contest.  C'mon defense. Keep us in the game into Q4, then it's anyone's game.

usc4valpo

It's game day baby - finally!
CCSU 43, Valpo 20

JD24

I'm in the middle between 62 and usc

I don't think the defense gives up 43 but it's not going to be close enough to be anyone's game. I'm more concerned with the ability to score for Valpo.

30-17 bad guys

VULB#62

VU up 6-0 on a blocked punt and run by Booker.  Great effort. Missed PAT that looked again like a faulty hold but no replay so I may be wrong.  Defense held after a long Valpo drive and interception  :(

VULB#62

CC 3 and out -- second one in a row.

The scoreboard was hit by lightning earlier in the week -  not operating.  Time is being kept on the field.

VULB#62

OL is having a difficult time opening holes for Cartales, Boxrucker and Allison.  CC is also getting pressure on Duncan as well as he is rushing a lot of throws.

End of Q1

VULB#62

T of P in Q1 - Valpo 12 minutes, CC 3

Observation: Fox is very dynamic on the sidelines.

VULB#62

Cartales is a monster today.  Got it down to the CC 9 but missed another FG.  What's going on?  Latsonas was almost automatic last year from close in.

Replay showed a low snap from the LS that the holder had to scramble to set.

VULB#62

CC comes back with a TD after a long pass completion to get deep inside Valpo territory.  9 yd TD pass off a bootleg to the left corner of the EZ.

Score 7-6 CC

VULB#62

Good KO returned by Reese is wasted on a 3 and out.  Punter cranked a 55 yarder that. just barely missed going out of bounds around the 2.

CC ball on their 20.

VULB#62

CC QB keeper for a TD after a series of completed passes moved the ball easily down the field.  14-6 CC.  1:18 left in Q2.

Can the O get anything going?

VULB#62

Nope.  After moving the ball very well with passes to Larose, Duncan threw a pic on a 1 &10 inside the 30. End of half.  14-6 CC

Gotta go to work now.  Hope I can at least get Gametracker on my phone. 

Go Valpo.  We are within a score.  Make it happen in the second half.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 14, 2019, 01:46:19 PMCartales is a monster today.  Got it down to the CC 9 but missed another FG.  What's going on?  Latsonas was almost automatic last year from close in. Replay showed a low snap from the LS that the holder had to scramble to set.
Based on the conversation between the ST coach, kicker and holder, there's still a problem there.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 14, 2019, 02:19:10 PMNope.  After moving the ball very well with passes to Larose, Duncan threw a pic on a 1 &10 inside the 30. End of half.  14-6 CC Gotta go to work now.  Hope I can at least get Gametracker on my phone. Go Valpo.  We are within a score.  Make it happen in the second half.
That was a horrible play by the QB. After 3 or 4 really good throws he just seemed to make up his mind he was going to throw it to Larose(I think) who had two guys right with him. He's got to be better than that.

JD24

2nd half things. Other than the one run by Cartales, Valpo's got 3 yards on the ground. It's going to be tough sledding on the ground the rest of the way likely. This brings up a problem because the QB has been prone to making mistakes through the air. Defense has to hold early in the 2nd half lest CCSU gets away. This is typically where their QB starts running around all over the place.

Cartales already has 14 touches which is what he would typically have in a full game last year IIRC. Larose has looked like a guy to count on at WR which I think the squad desperately needs.

usc4valpo

vu72

Thoughts on the post game interviews:  Coach is wired way tighter than Dave. Jumps in to say stuff in front of the players.  Not a bad thing--he is passionate but inexperienced in front of the press.  Team is young, showing some talent.  Duncan can play but....

A ways to go!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on September 14, 2019, 08:15:59 PMThoughts on the post game interviews:  Coach is wired way tighter than Dave. Jumps in to say stuff in front of the players.  Not a bad thing--he is passionate but inexperienced in front of the press.  Team is young, showing some talent.  Duncan can play but.... A ways to go!
I don't know who was doing the radio for Valpo today but he was faced with the task of interviewing Coach Limbach which may have been the second worst interview I've heard and exceeded only by the hallway interview Fox gave on media day. I certainly didn't agree with everything Cecchini said post game or in a preview/review but these guys give you less than nothing.

One think I will say as a positive in interviews from Fox is his immediately having his staff take responsibility. Cecchini's habit of virtually never saying that and finger pointing to his players I didn't like at all.

vu72

Why, on a sunny beautiful Saturday afternoon, could the Crusaders draw more than 2110 to the game?  Sad.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on September 14, 2019, 09:45:37 PMWhy, on a sunny beautiful Saturday afternoon, could the Crusaders draw more than 2110 to the game?  Sad.
Just a bit below what the team averages which is more than Drake, San Diego, Stetson, Jacksonville and Marist. Oddly, Davidson and Morehead St. draw the 2 biggest crowds on an average basis with MSU drawing more than twice as many on a weekly basis than all teams save Dayton, Butler and Davidson.