• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops 2019-2020

Started by VUGrad1314, September 30, 2019, 07:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 23, 2020, 08:10:36 PM
The level of disrespect being shown to UNI and the MVC is just shocking. I understand the Panthers didn't do themselves any favors with that 0-2 week but come on man...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28577356/ncaa-tournament-bubble-watch-updated-look-wildest-bubble-years

Why is it shocking, their NET was #47 last I checked.  They'd have to have zero upsets in P5 tournaments right?

VUGrad1314

They have a road win in Boulder and a neutral site victory over South Carolina in Cancun. Sadly a lot of the series they scheduled didn't work out as they had hoped because the other program wasn't as good as they thought they would be (Old Dominion Marshall Grand Canyon) That West Virginia loss still stings so much. They had that game and they would have gotten to play Wichita State after that if they had won. I just feel like this conference has earned far more respect historically than it has been shown in recent years and that makes me sad. It's hard to beat a Valley team on the road and everyone knows it That's why most MVC teams can't get home games. They don't play us because they're scared and know we'll win our fair share of games against them and the committee knows that too yet they constantly stick their thumbs in our eyes and tell us to schedule better. It's so unfair and it's terrible. Meaningful reform must be made. When a conference in the top third of conferences struggles to get even a second bid then the top 20% of conferences have way too much power.

valpo84

Looking at Standings across college hoops last night -- only 2 mid-major conferences have 2 or more wins vs "ranked opponents" -- MVC and WCC (which has benefit of 2 top 25 teams in conference).  MVC has a top 25 win by its last place 0-16 conference record team.  Conference USA even has 0 wins.

Frankly across all mid-major conferences, the total number of games versus ranked teams is ridiculously low.

By the way, how is Butler ranked with a below .500 record in conference? This will be an interesting year for selections and seedings.  Lots of parity.  Lots of major conference teams with under .500 records.  I'm still a firm believer that no team should get an at large unless they play .500 in conference (any conference).  If you can't play .500, especially in conferences that you now have 18 or 20 games, then you have shown your body of work is mediocre.  A win at home against a top team in your conference shouldn't save a mediocre season.  A win or 2 in conference tourney shouldn't save you.  Teams that win conference seasons, particularly in higher ranking mid-major conferences should be rewarded for their ability to have an overall good season.  (I understand the realities, etc., but if I were commish for a day, this is where I start).
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpo95

I don't have a fancy outcome predictor, yet here are the remaining games for the logjam of MVC teams who are fighting to avoid the first round tournament games.

ISUb   9-7  @SIU   Valpo
MoSt  8-8 @Valpo SIU
Valpo 8-8 MoSt  @ISUb

Drake 8-8  @Loyola   UNI  (Drake has no common opponents to the other three teams, and could finish anywhere from 8-10 to 10-8).

If Valpo wins out, then could tie for fourth in conference at 10-8, finishing ahead of a 9-9 MoSt and winning a head to head tiebreaker with ISUb (with two wins).
If Valpo goes 1-1 and finishes 9-9, it depend on who they defeat as both MoSt and ISUb could be 10-8, or 9-9 and 11-7. 
If Valpo goes 0-2 and finishes 8-10, they would end up no worse than 8th, and could tie for 7th.

VUGrad1314

UNI stumping for tournament consideration regardless of the results in St Louis

https://twitter.com/ValleyHoops/status/1232107946307276800

VUGrad1314

I remember somebody asking if they could see the coaches teleconferences. I found it for this week! Note the Twitter Handle because I think they post them each week.

https://twitter.com/ValleyHoops/status/1231972834035015680

VUGrad1314

According to the probabilities here's how everything shakes out:

A win in Terre Haute puts us in the 4\5 game (unless the wheels fall off for Bradley and we pass them in the NET which would give us the 3 seed)

A loss by Valpo and by Missouri State gives us the six seed

A loss by Valpo and a win by Missouri State over SIU would have the NET determine the tiebreaker which Missouri State would likely win because they are already ahead of us and would have a win while we lost.

We can't leave this in the hands of the Missouri State-SIU game. We need to win in Terre Haute! Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

Discussion of it here:

http://mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5466&start=100

If you haven't registered over there I encourage you to do so We could use more of a Valpo presence on that board.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 23, 2020, 10:25:41 PMMeaningful reform must be made. When a conference in the top third of conferences struggles to get even a second bid then the top 20% of conferences have way too much power.

I think this has been known for a long time but the Major major schools think they are the reason that people watch the Big Dance and they will control the number of spots given to at-large teams as long as Mid-Majors accept that they can't change the status quo of Major-Major teams, even with losing records, getting the majority of at-large tournament slots.

VUGrad1314

valpo84

NET RANKINGS from NCAA site through 2/26 games:

UNI 44
Loyola 98
Ind St 101
Bradley 107
MSU 130
Valpo 133
SIU 152
Drake 163
Ill St 206
E'Ville 256
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VUGrad1314

Anyone who voted for Tyreke Key should have their Twitter poll voting privileges revoked. There are three choices this year: Green Krutwig and JFL. That's it. I'd have put Key behind at least one other player if not a couple (Phyfe and Domask come to mind)

SanityLost17

Anybody know what the TV schedule looks like for Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday for the MVC tournament?   

As in, what network is everything on?     I have Sling TV, ESPN+, as well as local antenna and am wondering if I will be able to watch any of the games.  Thanks! 

Just Sayin

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 28, 2020, 11:53:54 AM
Anybody know what the TV schedule looks like for Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday for the MVC tournament?   

As in, what network is everything on?     I have Sling TV, ESPN+, as well as local antenna and am wondering if I will be able to watch any of the games.  Thanks!

https://twitter.com/ewieberg/status/1233426873767649280

VUBBFan

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 28, 2020, 11:53:54 AMAnybody know what the TV schedule looks like for Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday for the MVC tournament? As in, what network is everything on?     I have Sling TV, ESPN+, as well as local antenna and am wondering if I will be able to watch any of the games.  Thanks!

[tweet]1233462723624800258[/tweet]

VUGrad1314

LUC considered a very dangerous team next year while UNI and SIU got some love in the conference. I think Valpo and ISUb can join this list of rising young teams as well. I think next year will be a very good year for the Valley!

https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/status/1232361299222372352

VUGrad1314

oklahomamick

Evansville men are 0-18.
Evansville women are 0-16. 

Things could be worse.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo64

The Evansville men's team has really improved since the coaching change.  Even though they have not won a MVC game they are getting much closer to getting the job done so they  cannot be taken lightly.

oklahomamick

How in the world did they beat Kentucky? 

They also beat Murray St. and nearly lost to SMU.  But 0-18 in MVC. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 02, 2020, 11:42:18 AMHow in the world did they beat Kentucky? They also beat Murray St. and nearly lost to SMU.  But 0-18 in MVC.

Before the turmoil. Can't even compare the team before and after the turmoil. That should be viewed as two distinct seasons.

If my reply to your post looks similar like it appears in another thread you're right because it does. It's such a shame what happened for everyone involved. If McCarty could have behaved himself Evansville might have been an at large contender and would have been a true credit toward helping UNI and the rest of the MVC improve their ratings and metrics which could have made a material difference in the multibid hopes even if Evansville themselves did not make it. You're acting like that team had nothing at all happen to it and was just the same team under the same coach and that's totally wrong.

VUGrad1314

According to this article the last 10 teams in are the following (NET SOR Strength of Record BPI KenPom and Sagarin  Included UNI and other elite mids on the bubble will appear in this pool for comparison's sake to assess their at large chances.

Florida 33 42 26 33 32

Xavier 43 34 50 43 27

Texas Tech 23 50 21 23 36

Rutgers 34 41 35 32 44

Providence 44 53 52 46 29

Stanford 28 59 45 35 54

Texas 59 39 65 54 35

Cincinnati 53 57 48 44 40

Wichita State 45 31 40 41 34

NC State 55 54 49 53 47

St Mary's 31 35 37 36 38

UNI 37 40 55 39 65

Utah State 38 48 3642 43

E Tennessee St 41 26 51 66 52

Richmond 48 47 42 50 67

Lundardi adds Indiana Mississippi State and USC as teams on the bubble so I'll include their numbers Incidentally he has UNI as a 10 seed in the bracket that came out today:

Indiana 54 27 39 38 31

USC 39 36 61 52 53

Mississippi St 52 49 41 49 52

Looking at these numbers you have to like UNI's chances even if they don't win in St Louis. though most every other team has good resume building opportunities available to them so these numbers will change a lot. I think it's best if they just win in St Louis and not have to sweat out the committee but I'll see how I feel about that after each game as we have more data points entered in and the picture clears up a bit more (though it will still remain muddy but they might still have a chance yet especially if they can get to the finals and it's a close game to a good NET team (talking top 4 in the conference at minimum but preferably Loyola or Indiana State.)

VUGrad1314

JFL deservedly makes the first team all MVC and the all defensive team

Donovan Clay makes the All Freshman team.

Region Product Roman Penn (Drake) made the all newcomer team as well.

Teams broke down as follows:

1st team

A.J. Green (UNI)

JFL

Tyreke Key (ISUb)

Cameron Krutwig (Loyola)

Austin Phyfe (UNI)

2nd Team:

Darrell Brown (Bradley

Elijah Childs (Bradley)

Keandre Cook (Missouri State)

Liam Robbins (Drake)

Marcus Domask (SIU)

Third Team

Jordan Barnes (ISUb)

Tate Hall (Loyola)

Nate Kennell (Bradley)

Roman Penn (Drake)

Gage Prim (Missouri State)

All Freshman Team

Donovan Clay

Marcus Domask (SIU)

D.J. Horne (ISUr)

Marquise Kennedy (Loyola)

Jake LaRavia (ISUb)

All Newcomer Team

Marcus Domask (SIU)

Tate Hall (Loyola)

Jake LaRavia (ISUb)

Roman Penn (Drake)

Gage Prim (Missouri State)

All Defense Team

Isaiah Brown (UNI)

JFL

Liam Robbins (Drake)

Christian Williams (ISUb)

Lucas Williamson (Loyola)

Just shows how good and deep this conference is. The future is very bright at programs like UNI ISUb Loyola and ours. I understand that both of the Panthers first team selections are sophomores.