• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #6-Nevada @ Paradise Jam in USVI 4:30pm CST 11/24/19- "Flohoops"

Started by talksalot, November 22, 2019, 03:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

For those who had the OVER on the Lottich technical fouls you are halfway there in November. Get Gritty coach Matt!!!

Technically Matt is no longer perfect.

Obviously it was never a perfect call.

IndyEIT777

Seems like a case of this team coming out scared to play a bigger named opponent. Sad we don't have anyone capable of rising to the challenge besides JFL. Although I appreciate Kiser's effort in this game and every game for that matter.

And did our team's 3 point shooting disappear with Fazekas going down? No one on this team has been consistent from 3 this season. I thought we brought in some guys to improve that. I know it's early in the season and I'm probably going a little overboard with this rant, but there are a few guys that have not stepped up so far. Hopefully we can be competitive tomorrow.

NativeCheesehead

That was a highly suspect part of the roster construction. No consistent three point shooting outside of a guy who has not proven he can make it through a season without getting hurt.

Oh well. Onto the next one. 3rd place wouldn't be bad considering.

valpotx

I am ok with this loss.  They punched us in the nuts with hot 3-pt shooting in the first half, we got it back to 10 in the second half, and then just got tired and stopped moving around.  I will look forward to a W versus BGSU!
"Don't mess with Texas"

PlumStreetBum

Part of me wants to say 'burn the tape', but that's two games in a row with a high shooting% against and a slow start. That can't become a trend or we're gonna see a lot of blowouts.

As a friend said, Javon could average 20 points per game, and that would be a bad sign.

RS

I want to disagree with some of the comments. Nevada shot fantastic in the first half. That is hard to overcome when you fall behind by 22. I think panic set in and we shot a lot of hasty 3 point attempts and made some questionable passes. Valpo has been shooting 36% on 3 pt shots this year which is not too bad. Yes Fazekas makes a difference. But that wave of scoring by Nevada just took VU out of its normal game. It's only one game. Lets see how we bounce back. The team still has a lot of growing up to do and it is early in the year. Yes it looked bad. But lets not all get too negative on a game where all facets of the game looked out of sorts. My 2 cents. The team is still exciting to watch.  Hope Javon did not get hurt too bad since he did not return after that drive to basket where he fell on his back.

justducky

I only listened but sensed it would have been even more painful to watch. I'm still wondering just how good or how bad we can be in February ???

VUGrad1314

What happened out there today? Nevada's talented but are they really 25 points better than us?

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 24, 2019, 06:42:43 PM
What happened out there today? Nevada's talented but are they really 25 points better than us?

Nevada was 25 points better today and probably will never be again this season.

wh

Quote from: RS on November 24, 2019, 06:39:50 PM
I want to disagree with some of the comments. Nevada shot fantastic in the first half. That is hard to overcome when you fall behind by 22. I think panic set in and we shot a lot of hasty 3 point attempts and made some questionable passes. Valpo has been shooting 36% on 3 pt shots this year which is not too bad. Yes Fazekas makes a difference. But that wave of scoring by Nevada just took VU out of its normal game. It's only one game. Lets see how we bounce back. The team still has a lot of growing up to do and it is early in the year. Yes it looked bad. But lets not all get too negative on a game where all facets of the game looked out of sorts. My 2 cents. The team is still exciting to watch.  Hope Javon did not get hurt too bad since he did not return after that drive to basket where he fell on his back.

I just adopted your feelings. On to the next game.

wh

BTW I really appreciated the fact that Alford kept 3 starters in to the end after we waved the white flag at the 6 minute mark and went to the end of the bench. I wish them well tomorrow and beyond.

NativeCheesehead

I have been fortunate in my life to meet many coaches and players in the sports world.

There is no one more entitled and arrogant than Steve Alford.

govalpogo

Ugh, just got home...guess I'm watching football tonight.  Looks like from the comments and the box score that Nevada hit their 3's and Valpo never got into their game...well pretty much every vulnerable side of our game reared it's ugly head it seems!  Maybe this is an instance where it's good that they play again tomorrow. No chance to dwell.  New day, new game! 

VUfan

This is one of those bumps in the learning road. Tomorrow will tell the tail can this team bounce back. More then Feeman will need to come to play.  :)

bbtds

Quote from: wh on November 24, 2019, 07:25:59 PM
BTW I really appreciated the fact that Alford kept 3 starters in to the end after we waved the white flag at the 6 minute mark and went to the end of the bench. I wish them well tomorrow and beyond.

Fairly dumb move with so many games in so few days.

At least Daniel gets to celebrate a Blue Bomber victory in the CFL Grey Cup final. 33-12 over Hamilton Ti-Cats.

VALPO LI

Quote from: valpotx on November 24, 2019, 06:29:28 PM
I am ok with this loss.  They punched us in the nuts with hot 3-pt shooting in the first half, we got it back to 10 in the second half, and then just got tired and stopped moving around.  I will look forward to a W versus BGSU!

Ummmm can you say Cincy!!!!
Shine on Vu

VALPO LI

Shine on Vu

bbtds

Quote from: VALPO LI on November 24, 2019, 09:25:56 PM
Cincinnati falls to Bowling Green 84 to 91 in OT.

Jaume must be declaring devine providence in that in his only year left he gets to face his former team which he probably will never play in because both teams will be running all over the court and J would never see any action because he would never catch up to the action. Game time 5:45 p.m. EST

covufan

Quote from: PlumStreetBum on November 24, 2019, 04:53:19 PM
I thought our FG% against in the Grand Canyon game was a fluke against a hot team, but with Nevada shooting 70% right now I think it's got to be a consequence of awful perimeter defense. Anybody with a video feed care to weigh in? Are we maybe staying too close to the basket to prevent penetration and counter our lack of size in the defensive post?
So far this season our defensive FG% isn't as good as I would expect from this athletic of a team. Not sure what the problem is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VUBBFan

Quote from: bbtds on November 24, 2019, 10:23:35 PM
Quote from: VALPO LI on November 24, 2019, 09:25:56 PMCincinnati falls to Bowling Green 84 to 91 in OT.
Jaume must be declaring devine providence in that in his only year left he gets to face his former team which he probably will never play in because both teams will be running all over the court and J would never see any action because he would never catch up to the action. Game time 5:45 p.m. EST
Also, he is hobbling around with his foot in a boot. Another foot injury for him to begin the season.

valpotx

Cincy blew that game, but congrats to BGSU.  Another quality game on our schedule, and hopefully we take advantage of them while they are down.  J is hurt, and won't be playing, and I have no ill feelings towards him, as we might towards other former players.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: VUBBFan on November 24, 2019, 11:33:30 PM

Quote from: bbtds on November 24, 2019, 10:23:35 PM
Quote from: VALPO LI on November 24, 2019, 09:25:56 PMCincinnati falls to Bowling Green 84 to 91 in OT.
Also, he is hobbling around with his foot in a boot. Another foot injury for him to begin the season.

I'm not sure there would be much of a difference with J in a boot and J without a boot. :-)  He still would be chasing the game around but be an obstacle for the Crusaders near the basket.

Okay, okay, I know they would never allow J to play in a boot.

SanityLost17

I think our transition to a more "run and gun" offense has our defense a bit disoriented thus far.   Last year we were a SLOW SLOW pace with intense half court defense.  This is the one thing Lottich has proven he can fix, so I think our defense will get better as the season goes on, especially as Lottich gets tape on all conference teams.    As for our offense, shooting from the perimeter still not a strong suit, and a big question is, can Lottich find a way to engineer points when the 3's are not falling, which will probably be more games than not. 

In summary...  Defense will get better in time, I am much more worried about scoring points. 

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on November 24, 2019, 07:25:59 PM

I think this is a by product of the switch to NET rating that takes scoring margin into account.  This really encourages teams to run up the score in wins.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 25, 2019, 08:59:37 AM
I think our transition to a more "run and gun" offense has our defense a bit disoriented thus far.   Last year we were a SLOW SLOW pace with intense half court defense.  This is the one thing Lottich has proven he can fix, so I think our defense will get better as the season goes on, especially as Lottich gets tape on all conference teams.    As for our offense, shooting from the perimeter still not a strong suit, and a big question is, can Lottich find a way to engineer points when the 3's are not falling, which will probably be more games than not. 

In summary...  Defense will get better in time, I am much more worried about scoring points.

It was hard to watch the game yesterday, we let them go on ridiculous runs too often.  Our offense is not yet potent enough to come back from a team running 22 points up on us.  We started launching the three ball and we are just not that team.  Most importantly we are not yet proficient at half court offense and because Nevada kept making their freaking shots there was no fast break opportunity.  We tried to pound it down into Mileek a bit and he had varied success but with Robinson being called for untold travels and fouling it was tough.  He had a really really tough game, but I guarantee he bounces back strong.

There was a time (under 4 minutes) I thought we might be able to get under 10 points down but then another mini run.  Irregardless, I was proud of the effort they put up despite watching Nevada sink shots from the mainland.  I turned it off with 8 minutes left because I needed to do other things that didn't involved swearing.  Either way, I truly hope Cincinnati decides to at least miss SOME shots tonight. . . .

P.S.  Sackey and Kiser on the court at the same time trying to play from 22 points down is nothing but mad hustle and missed shots.  I think Zion Morgan (not yet healthy) and Eron Gordon (not yet healthy) will give us depth to bang bodies and play defense but neither of them has shown 3 point shooting ability.

3 Point Shooting with 10+ attempts
Javon 36%
Robinson 35%
Mileek 27%
Sackey 33%
Clay 27%
Totals for this group 36 Made of 107 Attempts = 33.6% (volume shooters)