• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Non-Conference games 2020/2021 season

Started by tiny707, January 10, 2020, 12:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

Since 2019/2020 non-conference is over, what non-conference games would you like to see in the upcoming 2020/2021 season? I would like to see Purdue play at the Arc for the two region kids on their team, a Florida trip for the new recruit and Javon's Uncle, and a home and home series with Wisconsin Green Bay for the new recruit from Sheboygan.

vufan75

I think 3 games we will see next season are Valpo at Central Michigan, at Toledo, and hosting Charlotte. I think those were all home and home deals. I'd love to see us host SLU (doubtful IMO). Will we get Ball State back on the schedule? Another SIUE game? I'd like to see us play Belmont in a home and home along with Murray State also again. And maybe Western Michigan who we used to play somewhat regularly. Plus an early season neutral site tourney. Then still wonder if MVC will be able to get another annual "challenge" deal going with another conference? Last but not least a "buy" game with a P5 school.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

VALPO LI

I believe Luke Gore stated on an earlier Union Street Hoops pod cast that we will play home games at the ARC vs.
Eastern Michigan
Charlotte
SIU-e
and away @
Toledo
Central Michigan
Vanderbilt

I would love to see us pick up Ball State again
Oakland
Murray St.
Belmont
Northwestern
DePaul
And Wagner for a "Lutheran Cup Challenge"
Luke did mention that Valpo wants to schedule more in the Mid West region. 
Shine on Vu

VUGrad1314

Seriously? Vanderbilt wants us to keep our away game with them? I'd say screw them but we need P5 games and wins and that's definitely a P5 team we can beat.

wh

Quote from: VALPO LI on January 10, 2020, 03:40:24 PM
https://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/podcast-union-street-hoops-non-conference-schedule-breakdown/article_20b36734-caad-11e9-b1e8-d3cff6a24aa9.html

The last 41/2 minutes are worth a good listen for the next up coming non conference schedule.

After listening to this and knowing that of all MVC and HL teams plus Murray and Belmont that Valpo tied for the fewest scheduled D-1 home non conference home games, I am completely embarrassed for Luke Gore and his book of excuses. I also find his cavalier indifference toward Paul Oren's questions highly offensive. It's pretty obvious that he's just going through the motions. I hope he sets higher standards for his players than he does himself.

NativeCheesehead

I wonder if the condition of our arena plays a role in teams not wanting to come play here.

VALPO LI

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 10, 2020, 04:53:09 PM
Seriously? Vanderbilt wants us to keep our away game with them? I'd say screw them but we need P5 games and wins and that's definitely a P5 team we can beat.

Unless they buy us out it sounds like it's a go but who knows ???
I wouldn't bank on this game even in August.  We won't hear a peep of this game until Vandys schedule is released.
It would be sweet if we played Vandy and got coin to play another big time University.
Shine on Vu

VALPO LI

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 10, 2020, 05:32:00 PM
I wonder if the condition of our arena plays a role in teams not wanting to come play here.

Are there any arenas/convention centers in Lake or Porter County (NW Indiana that a big time school will play us in? (Neutral Court)
Shine on Vu

Just Sayin

Quote from: VALPO LI on January 10, 2020, 05:47:36 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 10, 2020, 05:32:00 PMI wonder if the condition of our arena plays a role in teams not wanting to come play here.
Are there any arenas/convention centers in Lake or Porter County (NW Indiana that a big time school will play us in? (Neutral Court)

Because some coach from South Bend got beat at the ARC. Someone else said being in the ARC was similar to experiencing an explosion in a mustard factory.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VALPO LI on January 10, 2020, 05:39:25 PM

I wouldn't bank on this game even in August.  We won't hear a peep of this game until Vandys schedule is released.
It would be sweet if we played Vandy and got coin to play another big time University.

Here's a hint.  You'll know the game's a go when it appears on Twitter.

[tweet]1133826819696877569[/tweet]

NativeCheesehead

Lol. That's as good as a politician's promise.

bbtds

Quote from: VALPO LI on January 10, 2020, 05:47:36 PM

No, it pretty much has to be Chicago because that is where people from NW Indiana go to see big time sports. United Center, All-State Arena in Rosemont, Sears Center in Hoffman Estates, Wintrust Arena near McCormick Place, etc.

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on January 10, 2020, 06:15:15 PM
Quote from: VALPO LI on January 10, 2020, 05:39:25 PM

Here's a hint.  You'll know the game's a go when it appears on Twitter.

[tweet]1133826819696877569[/tweet]

The GW AD said "I can not tell a lie, I chopped out that Valpo game in that gym they call a venue because we didn't want to hurt anybody at the concession stand who stand there like cherry trees."

covufan

If by condition you mean that when a good drawing team plays here and the ARC is full (think NIT), then the conditions of the arena being a tough place to play may have a factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpo64

For those of you who are big fans of Murray State, I don't believe they are anything  special this season, even in their overall weak conference.

GoldenCrusader87

"  Someone else said being in the ARC was similar to experiencing an explosion in a mustard factory."

THIS IS MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE VALPO QUOTE LIKE EVER .... literally laughing out loud

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpo64 on February 22, 2020, 10:46:49 AMFor those of you who are big fans of Murray State, I don't believe they are anything  special this season, even in their overall weak conference.

Not this year but did you see the last two years? They'll get there again. They'd still be a fantastic (and welcome) addition to the MVC.

VUGrad1314

I've been thinking about scheduling and I have come to the conclusion that MLB's contention that the strategy for the NET is to schedule a bunch of bad teams and beat them badly is wrong. That only works if your conference schedule helps you out later (and although the P5 feast on Cupcakes they also have their incestuous conference challenges where each team gets 1-2 P5 games plus they're often in the best MTE's which gives them 4 games against either P5 competition or upper tier mids. It's not ALL Cupcakes. Our conference has no such good fortune either within or outside of conference play and must therefore challenge itself at least to the same degree that most P5s do outside of conference if not more because we don't get the same help within our conference most years. If MLB's thesis were true, ISUb would not have had a better NET than Drake or at least their NETs would not have finished about 75 spots apart. But ISUb played one of the best non cons in the country while Drake played one of the worst and despite similar results (4 losses for ISUb to 3 for Drake) ISUb's numbers are much better. The difference in conference record shouldn't account for such a drastic difference either. Nonconference scheduling matters and it needs to be a challenging schedule replete with good teams.

VALPO LI

So here is what we know, heard, and believe is happening with our up coming schedule for 2020-2021.

What we know:
Nov. 10th @ Toledo.
Nov. 14th @ UIC.
December 12th @ Central Michigan.

What we heard is that we will play:
@ Vanderbilt.
Home
Eastern Michigan
Charlotte
SIU-e
MTE- I have heard we are in one just do not know which one :-X

What we believe is a game is being scheduled against Chicago St. Not sure if this is Home or Away.

Shine on Vu

vu84v2

Quote from: VALPO LI on May 05, 2020, 12:08:06 PM
So here is what we know, heard, and believe is happening with our up coming schedule for 2020-2021.

What we know:
Nov. 10th @ Toledo.
Nov. 14th @ UIC.
December 12th @ Central Michigan.

What we heard is that we will play:
@ Vanderbilt.
Home
Central Michigan
Charlotte
SIU-e
MTE- I have heard we are in one just do not know which one :-X

What we believe is a game is being scheduled against Chicago St. Not sure if this is Home or Away.

I firmly believe that the non-conference schedule will change dramatically for most or all schools in D1. Big questions are unresolved: will students be attending on campus?, what funds will be available (for all sports)?, will it be safe to fly (though some schools can charter their own planes)?

I have no inside information on this, but my guess is that if students attend in person the non-conference schedule will be revamped. The Charlotte game and a Thanksgiving Holiday tournament seem unlikely. Games in which the team can travel to and from the opponent by bus are more likely to remain, but some opponents may not be able to afford having a program in 2020-2021.  If students are not attending in person in the fall, my guess is that the season will be shorter and not start until January.

NotBryceDrew

Since there are only 7 viable MTE's left for us to play in, taking into account we always go south and who we have for away games. There only seems to be one option for MTE.

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on May 05, 2020, 01:01:00 PM
If students are not attending in person in the fall, my guess is that the season will be shorter and not start until January.

Closing its campus for the 1st semester of a new school year after already sending everyone home the semester before would be a complete financial disaster. No one is going to keep paying top dollar tuition prices for dime-a-dozen online classes. Add in lost housing revenue and the ongoing impact of no freshman class and likely wholesale defections of existing students, and Valparaiso University could very well implode. This, it isn't going to happen, because it can't happen.

VALPO LI

Some larger schools are scheduling home and homes with in state schools or schools that are relatively close to travel to like Missouri did with Missouri State.
Shine on Vu

vu84v2

Quote from: wh on May 05, 2020, 01:37:16 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on May 05, 2020, 01:01:00 PM
If students are not attending in person in the fall, my guess is that the season will be shorter and not start until January.

Closing its campus for the 1st semester of a new school year after already sending everyone home the semester before would be a complete financial disaster. No one is going to keep paying top dollar tuition prices for dime-a-dozen online classes. Add in lost housing revenue and the ongoing impact of no freshman class and likely wholesale defections of existing students, and Valparaiso University could very well implode. This, it isn't going to happen, because it can't happen.

I agree with everything you wrote (except possibly the dime-a-dozen reference for online classes at a school like Valpo versus a CC or for-profit school - though that would be the perception of students and parents)...except the last sentence. It is a possibility that schools cannot open for on-campus attendance. Assume the current situation is the same 6 to 8 weeks from now when decisions need to be made. Do universities open for having students on-campus? Do states and municipalities allow it? Even if those first two are yes, do students (and their parents) feel it is safe enough to attend in person? Thus, universities need to plan for a case where that catastrophic scenario happens in order to survive. There are ugly options, but the ugliness is better than implosion.

Valpo does have one potential advantage...it is a campus and not in a city.

And basketball (and college sports) are not going to be the highest priority when addressing these challenges.