• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Loyola Game Thread, Sun., Feb. 9, 2020, 3:00p CT, ESPNU

Started by wh, February 08, 2020, 12:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpolaw

I don't recall the announcers acknowledging the foul but also slammed some stuff around quickly and turned it off.

Has Lottich ever gotten a T? I vaguely remember one but could be wrong.

VUGrad1314

I'd be interested in seeing him get two T's and get himself tossed early from a game. Not  because he'd be standing up for his players though that's a good thing too but to see if we'd actually play BETTER without him on the sidelines... At this point it's a legitimate thing to wonder. For the purposes of this experiment the earlier in the game it happens the more instructive it would prove.

valpopal

Another thing to notice in Paul's posted video of the final play is that the official was standing right next to the camera, so there is no excuse that he was out of position. He saw the same thing we do but swallowed the whistle

[tweet]1226642662180212740[/tweet]

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

Honest question. Why does this one sting worse than any loss this year?

GoldenCrusader87

This program is a joke. No other way to put it. The Lottich-apologists will be the only ones left on the boat when it's all said and done... alongside the eternal optimists ... and us long-time Valpo faithful. But, make no mistake about it - the boat has been taking on water for some time now with no real signs of stopping. We need a change. We've almost entirely turned over our roster. What's the only remaining variable? The coaching staff. A 4-year extension at this point would be celebrating what? Another below-average season? Blown opportunities? Declining attendance? More excuses? Give me a break. Many folks have said THIS IS THE YEAR!!! Well, we're now 5-7 in the conference.

In conference, we beat:

1. Evansville (x2). They are now 9-16
2. Drake. They are now 16-9
3. Indiana State. They are now 14-9
4. Illinois State. They are now 8-16

What good non-conference wins do we have .. apart from being 5-7 in the conference?

1. Toledo (back on 11/5). They're now 11-13.
2. SIUE? (back on 11/12). They're now 6-19
3. Grand Canyon (back on 11/22). They're now 10-13
4. Trinity Christian (back on 11/27). They're not even D-1...
5. Central Michigan (back on 12/8). They're 13-9 (So, I guess that's a good one...)
6. High Point (back on 12/18). They're 7-17

truth219

justducky

Sackey with only 11 minutes and Gordon totaled only 6. Neither of them appeared to match up too well with their Loyola counterparts. Matt brought Robinson outside as a a combo 1 or 2 guard instead. In some respects this worked as he picked up 9 assists. We might see more of this going forward but it still didn't get us a win.  :(

Morgan didn't play.Was this a coaching decision or something more serious? His defense might have been helpful.

Freeman might now be our worst 3 point shooter. The difference in his pre and post ISUb outside shooting has been huge. We need the old Javon back.

When Mileek knows he is open deep his offerings can really look good. In contrast Krikke must have passed on 12 wide open 3 point opportunities which might have connected  ??? If we are going to call Ben a stretch 5 then shouldn't he be doing some stretching? Our offense really stagnated when Krutwig was laying off of him 9 feet.

valpolaw

Please come back Bryce. Maybe we can start a gofundme or something

valpopal

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 09, 2020, 07:05:22 PM
Honest question. Why does this one sting worse than any loss this year?

One reason is that part of the revival in excitement and energy for the Valpo program requires a strong rivalry with a team in the conference, and that logically would be Loyola. However, because VU is 0-7 against Loyola since entering the conference, it seems foolish to suggest that rivalry really exists. You have to win some of the games. Had Valpo won the two winnable games against Loyola this season, things would be different. A second reason is that many of us who have been longtime Valpo fans remember past rivalries in the Horizon League, first with Butler and then with Loyola, and it stings to witness how both of those programs have surpassed Valpo in recent years either in success on the court or, as seen by Lottich's postgame comment today wishing Valpo had an arena like the Gentile Center, in updated facilities. Consequently, today's loss is like poking at an old and festering wound.

justducky

During the offseason somebody needs to pull Javon aside and make him totally rethink his basket runner-rim attack approach. Learning proper high off glass heavy backspin shots will eventually yield him more points and more rebounds. Wherever his pro game might eventually take him this is something needing basic practice and legwork for him to be successful.  :thumbsup:

vu72

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on February 09, 2020, 07:12:38 PM
This program is a joke. No other way to put it. The Lottich-apologists will be the only ones left on the boat when it's all said and done... alongside the eternal optimists ... and us long-time Valpo faithful. But, make no mistake about it - the boat has been taking on water for some time now with no real signs of stopping. We need a change. We've almost entirely turned over our roster. What's the only remaining variable? The coaching staff. A 4-year extension at this point would be celebrating what? Another below-average season? Blown opportunities? Declining attendance? More excuses? Give me a break. Many folks have said THIS IS THE YEAR!!! Well, we're now 5-7 in the conference.

In conference, we beat:

What good non-conference wins do we have .. apart from being 5-7 in the conference?

5. Central Michigan (back on 12/8). They're 13-9 (So, I guess that's a good one...)

Hey Golden. have another drink.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Sorry folks.  The whining has become overwhelming.  The sky is falling for sure.  Enjoy your pity party.  I'm out.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

After reading the following excerpt about the postgame conference in Paul's report, I think it is "high" time Lottich take a different "road":

"There was contact, but I'm not a ref," Freeman-Liberty said.

Valparaiso coach Matt Lottich took the high road when discussing the final play of the game, citing his oft-repeated statement that referees have a hard job.

"We have to do our job and they have to do theirs," Lottich said. "Unfortunately for us, it didn't bounce our way tonight."

Valpo89

In conference, we beat:

Excellent research. Most were willing to give him one more year. Well, this was it.
I can't handle any more.
Passing on Tonagel 4 years ago was a huge error.

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on February 09, 2020, 08:00:14 PM

In conference, we beat:

I guarantee he's not drinking what you are.  I know there are extremists on both sides, but the facts are that after 25 games, Valpo has 12 wins with 8 of those against 200+ KenPom teams or non-DIs and only 1 against a KenPom top 100 (Ind St at 98  :dance:).

I'm not close to being aboard the "sky is falling" train, but it's hard to not to be a little disappointed after insiders like you, Oren, wh and the radio guy hyped the team so much. 

wh

Quote from: M on February 09, 2020, 05:01:50 PM
Those no calls were as bad as wh's takes on McMillian's play.

In case you forgot, it's a 40 minute game. He was  a solid B to B- in the 2nd half (A offensively/C defensively and an F for fouling out so once again he was MIA when we were trying to close the gap.  And where would he have been had we forced OT? At the end of the bench done for the day.

He was flat out F in the 1st half (his usual 2 fouls in the 1st 5 minutes followed by 15 minutes wasted on the bench while we struggled to stay in the game).  For God sakes, he's a frick'n junior with a ton of game experience, yet he cannot - that's CANNOT - figure out a way to play the game of basketball without getting himself in foul trouble. Most of the time he makes positive contributions offensively, but he may have the lowest basketball I've ever seen at this level. Ask yourself. Would you excuse anyone else for getting into constant foul trouble for huge parts of the game other than Mileek? Would it be ok if Javon did it, or Ryan, or even 1st year player/starter Donovan Clay? Anyone?  You're so blind to Mileek's deficiencies I'm starting to wonder if your his dad or mom - same first letter.

Pgmado

Quote from: EddieCabot on February 09, 2020, 08:15:47 PM

In conference, we beat:

I guarantee he's not drinking what you are.  I know there are extremists on both sides, but the facts are that after 25 games, Valpo has 12 wins with 8 of those against 200+ KenPom teams or non-DIs and only 1 against a KenPom top 100 (Ind St at 98  :dance:).

I'm not close to being aboard the "sky is falling" train, but it's hard to not to be a little disappointed after insiders like you, Oren, wh and the radio guy hyped the team so much. 

I'll have to go back and see if I "hyped" the team. I remember saying that I didn't know if this team would be any better than last year, but that they'd be a lot more fun to watch. I think that has held true.

truth219

How can you say this team is fun to watch. Losing and beating crappy teams isn't fun. Having to park half a mile away because I don't give thousands of dollars is a joke. The pcc tournament at hebron high school was a better game day experience....sorry but calling this team fun to watch is absurd

M

He's one of the main reasons they made the comeback they did. He had one bad foul in the second half. He can't guard Krutwieg by himself and stop all the guards who continually drive to the lane past our guards who seem more concerned with trying for steals then staying in front of their man.

I don't know why you have such an agenda against the kid.

usc4valpo

Terrible call, and I wish Lottich would quit acting so passive. If he were not at Valpo, his job would be on the line.

wh

Quote from: Pgmado on February 09, 2020, 09:10:15 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on February 09, 2020, 08:15:47 PM

In conference, we beat:

I'll have to go back and see if I "hyped" the team. I remember saying that I didn't know if this team would be any better than last year, but that they'd be a lot more fun to watch. I think that has held true.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but you are flat out wrong. This program is not a joke. We're a young team, and, yes, we're getting better. We were an eyelash away today against a very good conference opponent on their court. I was at the game in full Valpo gear sitting among a bunch of Loyola diehards, and they were very complimentary about our Crusaders. The game was thoroughly entertaining, and I was proud of our guys. We're headed in the right direction, and next year at this time we're going to be riding high. The best is yet to come.

GoldenCrusader87

Opinions and feelings aside, here's the reality ...

In conference, we beat:

justducky

Quote from: wh on February 09, 2020, 09:47:51 PMWe're headed in the right direction, and next year at this time we're going to be riding high. The best is yet to come.

You might be right but the clock is ticking. Matt must finish this season on a high note. A healthy roster with promising talents still has to have the leadership necessary to win. Thumbs up or thumbs down should become very clear, very soon! Meanwhile the SIU game needs to be a win and the bigger the better!

VUBBFan

Quote from: VALPO LI on February 09, 2020, 07:42:21 AMIs there a bus (buses) leaving Valpo heading to Chicago this year for the students and fans? I believe the University did this last year.  I still remember the thorn that Loyola left in my side from last year when they bussed their fans to Valpo.
https://twitter.com/AlBillets/status/1226549401973338112

https://twitter.com/AlBillets/status/1226585925897146368