• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Drake Game Thread, Wednesday, Feb. 19 – 7 p.m. CT (ESPN+)

Started by Valpower, February 18, 2020, 07:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Not on Lottich at this point.  Our guys can't shoot worth a crap right now.  Getting good looks, and missing wildly.  McMillan started well, and had a miserable 3-4 minute stretch, which is why he was pulled.
"Don't mess with Texas"

GoldenCrusader87

We had soooooo much fun digging ourselves out of a 17 point hole last time out, we've decided to do it again.

Here's to the second half comeback of a season ... I mean for the second time in 2 straight games lol.

This team .... all the potential but .... idk.

At least the halftime speech can be, "Hey guys - we've been here before."

Interesting Matt didn't call a timeout during that stretch until under a minute and had 3 TOS he couldn't take with him to half. Too many rushed 3s ... no second chance points. Seems like there were some Moments there where hitting the pause button couldn't have hurt ...

VUGrad1314

The good news is that shooting tends to even out but Jesus Christ can we please not fall behind by 87000 points in the last five minutes of a half?  Here's hoping we have more magic in our hats. We're going to need it.

VUSWIM08-12

LOL MLB and ML have no clue...you want Valpo to be +500 to finish the league next season, fire Lottich and MLB, Valpo is too complacent...they're only concerned about academics, how stupid...the Valpo leadership lives in  60's...

valpo64

Once again Sackey is a turnover machine and really hurts our offense...AND he can't play defense.  It is amazing how our three point shooting  started our 3 for 6 then nothing.  It makes such a difference when JFL is in the game both offensively and defensively.

FWalum

Stop blaming this on Lottich. We have no shooters on this team except Fazekas and he can't hit anything tonight. Everyone else has had WIDE OPEN looks. They have a legit rim protector and not one player can hit an open look.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

covufan

So much for not going down double digits in the first half. Our shooting and defense both need to improve in the second half. This team has shown they can make the comeback - no better time than now!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VUSL98 on February 19, 2020, 07:57:01 PMJFL gone in ... 3 months.

I really hope you're wrong but it's so hard to see him wanting to stick around with the way this team craters without him... And how terrible we are at so many stretches throughout the year... He's a winner and as such he is not the type that will tolerate extended losing and general lack of improvement. He will go somewhere where his talents can be maximized and get results and fully appreciated and actualized.... And honestly who could blame him if he does choose another place to play?

valpo64

Sackey is a turnover machine and really hurts our offense, plus he cant shoot and is a big liability on defense.  What a disappointment he has been this entire year.  He has really regressed this season.

vok22

Quote from: FWalum on February 19, 2020, 07:58:45 PM
Stop blaming this on Lottich. We have no shooters on this team except Fazekas and he can't hit anything tonight. Everyone else has had WIDE OPEN looks. They have a legit rim protector and not one player can hit an open look.

Thank you. I wanted to say something to this effect but didn't want to get thrown to the dogs. Just like the Missouri State game, they were getting wide open looks and just could not buy a basket. We have Nick Robinson out here 0-5 on wide open threes. We missed out last 10 three point attempts, 8 of which were good shots, and the other two being forced but still coming from our best three point shooter, Ryan.

FWalum

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on February 19, 2020, 07:56:24 PMInteresting Matt didn't call a timeout during that stretch until under a minute and had 3 TOS he couldn't take with him to half. Too many rushed 3s ... no second chance points. Seems like there were some Moments there where hitting the pause button couldn't have hurt ...
Probably couldn't hurt. Remember that Bryce would have burned all of his TO's and we would have been complaining about that.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

GoldenCrusader87

Remember last year when the excuses were on the lack of team chemistry and too many "Is" ...??

What's the excuse now? Too many underclassmen and first year transfers?

Well when you lose that many guys to transfer who were allegedly selfish and so forth - what do you expect to happen?

Somebody had to replace them lol. Sooo now we'll say we suck at shooting and need more time to develop blah blah blah.

Only for another mediocre season at best ... which some of us have now accepted as the new standard.

Losing is one thing - now we dig these holes is an entirely other issue. We were able to dig out of it last time - let's see if Clay and JFL can get back in, stay out of foul trouble, and carry us to another comeback win  - hope they do

But that doesn't make up for the red flags ...

VUGrad1314

It's not on Lottich unless you want to blame him for recruiting a bunch of guys who can't shoot yet refuse to attack the basket... Nevertheless it's SO FRUSTRATING to watch this team fall behind again and again and pray for a miracle...

vok22

I also didn't think our defense played poorly the second half of the half. I thought our defense was playing worse when we were winning and giving up all the points to Robbins. Since then they were forcing them to use all the shot clock and then they were just hitting their shots at the end of the shot clock after a good defensive possession. They had to have 3 or 4 makes with 3 or less seconds on the shot clock. The big problem to me was rebounding.

VUGrad1314

Okay step by step... Possession by possession... All the way back...

VUGrad1314

Ickow out here blaming the refs is the saddest aspect of this... We  SUCK tonight and there is no excuse or apology for it... Stop protecting them and call it for what it is...

VALPO LI

Quote from: VUSL98 on February 19, 2020, 07:57:01 PM
JFL gone in ... 3 months.
Not sure why anyone would "like" that quote
My reaction would be :'(
......please do not reply back saying because it is probably true.
Shine on Vu

valpotx

Nothing irks me more than when our players go past someone, and then seem to believe that the defender just magically gives up on the play.  They then throw a lazy pass or slow it up too much, and we have a turnover.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VALPO LI on February 19, 2020, 08:14:31 PM
Quote from: VUSL98 on February 19, 2020, 07:57:01 PMJFL gone in ... 3 months.
Not sure why anyone would "like" that quote My reaction would be :'( ......please do not reply back saying because it is probably true.

Lottich is going to have to recruit the crap out of Javon to get him to stay this offseason... He's got to be in full "Gimme a Reason to Stay here" mode...

VUGrad1314

CONGRATULATIONS JAVON!!!! ALL TIME SINGLE SEASON STEALS LEADER!!!

VUGrad1314

Three point shooting evening out... Eleven points back... We're getting there! Come on Valpo! I BELIEVE!