• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Hosts Bradley Game Thread Sat Feb 22 7PM ESPN+

Started by VUGrad1314, February 21, 2020, 12:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on February 23, 2020, 10:32:02 AM
1. VU didn't play well defensively and didn't rebound in the defensive end.
2. If VU shoots 50% (14/28) they win by 8 (assuming all else stays the same). If they shoot 40% 11/28 they win by 5.
3. Quite a few of those 3s had a hand in the face, the hoop must've looked like a hula hoop.
4. Krikke isn't moving into the starting line up this year. Mostly because he shouldn't.
5. I think it's a back issue maybe.
6. Zion would strength the defense but I wonder if it's worth it with his offensive struggles. Maybe a offense/defense substitution from time to time.
7. It was hall of Fame night.
8. Agree!
9. Agree!!

I agree with both of your thoughts regarding the shooting percentage from deep, but one is taking it from the perspective of "in a vacuum" and the other one is taking it from the respective of a game of runs.

Valpo89

I sat at the top of the section behind the Bradley bench, near all of the Bradley fans.
They were jerks. They were really rubbing it in with the big early lead, particularly one jag in about the fourth row.
So glad Valpo came back, shot lights out and sent the idiots back to Peoria.
Wardle is 1-9 at the ARC. Couldn't happen to a "nicer" guy. He's a jerk and so are his fans.

justducky

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 23, 2020, 10:36:46 AMI like Mileek for his stretch 4 capabilities.  But I think his mental lapses on defending and passing / TO makes it such that we need to start Krikke and sub in Mileek.  From there we ought to play the hot hand .

I somewhat agree but lets hold that thought until next season. Why upset the apple cart with only 2 games left on the schedule? Maybe by then we will see both playing varied roles as centers, power forwards, and stretch forwards. Very likely there will be some games where both are starting. Their versatilities will eventually make the 2020/2021 squad that much more dangerous.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 23, 2020, 09:10:18 AMThat's two straight good games from Gordon by my count. I'd say he's earned more PT.

His main opportunity for more time is at the 1 and 2 with his ball handling skills being the biggest roadblock. With Nick hamstrung with back pain and Daniel still learning to play within his limits Eron could catch or pass them quickly. What will he show us vs MSU?

valpotx

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 23, 2020, 10:49:33 AM
I sat at the top of the section behind the Bradley bench, near all of the Bradley fans.
They were jerks. They were really rubbing it in with the big early lead, particularly one jag in about the fourth row.
So glad Valpo came back, shot lights out and sent the idiots back to Peoria.
Wardle is 1-9 at the ARC. Couldn't happen to a "nicer" guy. He's a jerk and so are his fans.

I was thinking the same thing while watching video.  It seemed like their fans were really rubbing it in each time they scored or Valpo did something negative.  That was the impetus for my Buck Fradley comment
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

I probably disliked Detroit the most from the HL, until they just started becoming irrelevant.  I disliked Wardle the most out of all the coaches.  I really disliked Oakland once they joined but at the same time kind of like Kampe.

I would probably have to say that I dislike Bradley the most out of the MVC.   
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 23, 2020, 03:15:13 PMI probably disliked Detroit the most from the HL, until they just started becoming irrelevant.  I disliked Wardle the most out of all the coaches.  I really disliked Oakland once they joined but at the same time kind of like Kampe. I would probably have to say that I dislike Bradley the most out of the MVC.

I can honestly say that I disliked the entire HL after the 2016 tournament snub and that I like the entire MVC for the quality of competition that it brings to us late season! Once we establish ourselves with all of the private schools and schools in such close proximity all of whom are committed to success on the court there is extremely fertile ground for intense long-standing rivalries. I love this league and I'm glad we're here.

oklahomamick

A lot don't care about this but I like being with higher academic schools. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

MVC schools tend to be rated higher than HL schools right?

VUBBFan

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 23, 2020, 03:15:13 PMI probably disliked Detroit the most from the HL, until they just started becoming irrelevant.  I disliked Wardle the most out of all the coaches.  I really disliked Oakland once they joined but at the same time kind of like Kampe. I would probably have to say that I dislike Bradley the most out of the MVC.
I would say Loyola student fans. They swore were rude and obnoxious to our fan and student sections, when they came here last year. Even physically intimidated (little jabs and pushes of) the girl that would dress up as the V-Rex. I was told they spent a lot of the game throwing insults at our student section. Although I don't know if our students were also engaged in doing it back.
Also when I attended our games in Chicago, the student fans seemed to me to be somewhat conceited and did off colored cheers/jeers. Of course I'll admit to being somewhat biased.

4throwfan

Quote from: M on February 23, 2020, 10:32:02 AM
1. VU didn't play well defensively and didn't rebound in the defensive end.
2. If VU shoots 50% (14/28) they win by 8 (assuming all else stays the same). If they shoot 40% 11/28 they win by 5.
3. Quite a few of those 3s had a hand in the face, the hoop must've looked like a hula hoop.
4. Krikke isn't moving into the starting line up this year. Mostly because he shouldn't.
5. I think it's a back issue maybe.
6. Zion would strength the defense but I wonder if it's worth it with his offensive struggles. Maybe a offense/defense substitution from time to time.
7. It was hall of Fame night.
8. Agree!
9. Agree!!

2.  M, not sure that I'm following.  If VU shoots 50% from 3, then they score 12 fewer points.  All else being equal, that puts game in OT at 78-78.  If VU hits 11 3's, and again all else being equal, then VU scores 21 fewer points, which means a 78-69 loss.  In any event, my original point was that anomalous shooting covered up some warts.  I think we agree on that.
4.  Reasonable minds can differ.  But, seems that coaches agree with you.
5.  Thanks
6.  Agreed.
7.  Thanks, I stand corrected.  No disrespect to our new hall of famers. 

M

I was going off they turned them into 2s...I don't know why (dum dum moment).

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on February 22, 2020, 07:25:55 PM
Mileek doesn't seem to understand that you can't dribble into your guy, without expecting that the help-side defender will try to sag off his guy, for an easy steal.  He does that over and over, and it is extremely annoying.

Mileek simply does not have a high basketball IQ. He gets the ball sometimes and thinks he can bull rush right over people and doesn't understand how a foul is called. Same on defense but there are games where he simply is not called for all the fouls he commits when the refs let many of the fouls go uncalled.

VUGrad1314

I hope Mileek continues his improved play finishes the season strong and then has a huge senior year and more than makes up for all the crap that has been shoveled his way by the fanbase. I believe that he can do it. Go Mileek!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 25, 2020, 03:50:11 AM
I hope Mileek continues his improved play finishes the season strong and then has a huge senior year and more than makes up for all the crap that has been shoveled his way by the fanbase. I believe that he can do it. Go Mileek!

It's only crap if it's unfounded.  I don't regret my evaluations of him to date.

valpo64

Don't worry...if anything negative can be found or perceived regarding anything to do with the VU men's b-ball program,  some member of this board will let it be known.  It seems that, to some,  the negative appears to outweigh anything positive regarding players, coaches, athletic administration or University administration.  But, we all have a right to comment and promote our individual opinions.  However in some cases, the negativity being expressed in getting old. I guess it goes with the territory.

justducky

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 25, 2020, 05:13:48 AM

It's only crap if it's unfounded.  I don't regret my evaluations of him to date.

Mileek has been great at falling short of expectations! His 91 fouls in 502 minutes really stands out. I wish I had the breakdown for his offensive vs defensive fouls because I'm pretty certain it is lopsided toward his poor ball control issues (charges and strips). He is also a former HS guard-forward with Smirolla-like true center assist to TO numbers 28-52. Clay who is just as tall and 2 years greener sits in contrast with 40-34. :o

BUT!  McMillan has now raised his 3 point % to .393 by hitting 35 of 89.  :thumbsup: With 1+ years remaining I'm thinking Matt's investment and patience is going to be paying off. Watching him is starting to be fun despite all the blunders.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: justducky on February 25, 2020, 03:36:50 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 25, 2020, 05:13:48 AM

Mileek has been great at falling short of expectations! His 91 fouls in 502 minutes really stands out. I wish I had the breakdown for his offensive vs defensive fouls because I'm pretty certain it is lopsided toward his poor ball control issues (charges and strips). He is also a former HS guard-forward with Smirolla-like true center assist to TO numbers 28-52. Clay who is just as tall and 2 years greener sits in contrast with 40-34. :o

BUT!  McMillan has now raised his 3 point % to .393 by hitting 35 of 89.  :thumbsup: With 1+ years remaining I'm thinking Matt's investment and patience is going to be paying off. Watching him is starting to be fun despite all the blunders.

Well put, thanks for sharing the comparison numbers and optimism.  He took over for Smits in my category of "most frustrating" this year but maybe he redeems himself in time!

VUGrad1314

There's a fundamental difference: Mileek is frustrating but tries and is hardworking. Smits was frustrating lazy and whiny. That makes Mileek easy to root for where Smits was not.

VUGrad1314

I wasn't there to see Did the University do anything at the Bradley game to acknowledge Javon's accomplishment breaking the single season steals record? I sure hope so.

valpo64

VUGrad1314

Lottich's Postgame thoughts against Bradley in case anyone's still interested (I think somebody asked about this earlier and I just found it on ValpoAthletics' YouTube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65BhQGzEOs0