• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Indiana State 2/29 1:00PM ESPN3 WVUR 95.1

Started by VUBBFan, February 27, 2020, 11:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Indiana State is just hot right now. They'll cool off and we'll have a chance to come back in this game. Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

VUGrad1314

Looking very much like we'll have to depend on the Salukis in Springfield. It's not good to have your season left in the hands of another team...

nkvu

That fourth foul on Clay was crap. Not like State needs the help today.

VUGrad1314

Come on... Let's make a push! Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

truth219

I believe this game is over

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

VUGrad1314

Go SIU....

The Terre Haute Turd Sandwich strikes again and is unfortunately becoming a yearly thing for us.  Hopefully that starts to change soon.

nkvu

Lot of front rims from three. Team just doesn't seem to have legs today. State defense may have something to do with that.  Just a complete beat down in every phase today. Nothing to do but just move on and look to the next game hopefully with JFL ready.

VUGrad1314

I'm still hoping for a miracle (SIU winning a road game since that's very hard in the MVC) but honestly this effort with everything on the line deserves to land us in Thursday and if that happens we will have gotten exactly what we earned today. This team that went to Terre Haute is not a Friday team at all. This is not a fire Lottich post He still deserves to be extended but this is a true reflection of the reality. We did not put forth an effort worthy of being a team that plays anywhere but in the PIGs.

truth219

The last few games we have shot 3 pointers at an unrealistically high clip. Had we shot 50% from three today we would have won

truth219

We looked like garbage today

VUGrad1314

Three silver linings:

1. We're not dead yet. We can avoid Thursday with some help from SIU.

2. We finished .500 in a much tougher conference in just our 3rd year (I believe it took Loyola four full years (year 5) to finally pull it off

3. Indiana State absolutely whupping our behinds will probably get their NET to a Q2 neutral floor game which could (with the right set of outcomes give UNI an extra Q2 opportunity for whatever at large hopes may still exist for them. The trouble is our loss might take one away from them so... That's not good...

GoldenCrusader87

Wonder what those who - in my opinion overreacted after winning a couple games -  advocated for ML as coach of the year still (in the name of overreacting after a loss) feel different.

CPkValpoFan

Having followed Valpo through thick and thin this year, I have to say that what hurt us most in this game (besides our defense) was our
offensive rebounding.  Ben Krikke has come a long way this year but he should be tougher on the boards.   JFL is probably the best
on the Valpo team in getting to loose balls. 

Offensive rebounding is hard work and takes players that really are ready to fight for each rebound and have a nose for the ball.   We cannot attribute it just to lack of height, athleticism
or muscle.   One of the best offensive rebounders in the country plays for Utah State, Justin Bean.   He has been averaging a double double this year and is only 6-7 and not super athletic.
What he does have is a motor that goes all out and he has a nose for the ball like a bear after bacon.   You can't make a come back in a game like this when you are only limited to one shot because no one is snagging an offensive rebound.

EddieCabot

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on February 29, 2020, 02:50:09 PM
Wonder what those who - in my opinion overreacted after winning a couple games -  advocated for ML as coach of the year still (in the name of overreacting after a loss) feel different.

This game shouldn't change anyone's perception of the team or the coach.  Playing on the road down 2 starters (including your best player) is a challenge, to say the least.  Move on.

NativeCheesehead

Regardless, we made some progress this year. Ironically, the next 2 months might be the most important time of the year for us, as we wait to see if anyone leaves.

VUGrad1314

Those who are posting extremely negative things right now I completely understand. This loss hurts because it was such a huge and important game but I hope you'll be around and comment positively and give props when there are good reasons to do so. I'm just saying.

usc4valpo

No doubt, but is ML worth a 5 year extension? I would say more like 2.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 29, 2020, 03:20:15 PMNo doubt, but is ML worth a 5 year extension? I would say more like 2.

Something like a 2+2 or compromise and give 3 would be nice but 4 is probably what is going to happen for security and recruiting's sake.

VUGrad1314

Early returns in Springfield not good for us... 19-10 Bears early in the first half...

usc4valpo

Ok, but no tenure like they gave Tom Smith back in 1984. Why they ever did that was beyond me, especially after the Harden experiment.

VUGrad1314

Who's talking tenure or anything close to lifetime? If MLB does that he should be fired on the spot. The only coaches who even remotely earned that were the Drews and even then I'd be uneasy giving that to them at least in formal contract terms. I do believe they had total de facto lifetime contracts hence the incredibly long term (10 years I think) that Bryce got on an extension he signed with us.

FWalum

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on February 29, 2020, 02:50:09 PM

What are you taking about? It was the guys on the March to the Arch podcast that suggested he might be in the conversation based on the off season issues and the injuries. They both thought in the preseason we were going to be a disaster.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

39-31 Missouri State at the half. The Bears have clearly been the better team. I'm not totally giving up hope because SIU has been able to turn them over and has been somewhat cold from the field but it might be prudent to start gameplanning for Evansville right now. If we're wrong we can always change and gameplan for our 3 seed opponent (probably ISUb) but if we're right then we're already getting a jump on our next opponent and making sure that we won't be their first (and likely only) MVC win.

GoldenCrusader87

Pretty sure I said "those who" - I'm no genius but couldn't that refer to those on the podcast???????????????

VUGrad1314

Now really isn't the time for this.. Or most of the comments you've been making pertaining to Lottich... If I didn't know any better I'd say that you're almost happy we lost because it supports your contention that Matt sucks. That being right is more important to you than Valpo succeeding.