• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers 2020

Started by M, March 08, 2020, 07:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

Sounds like Harry was a day late and a dollar short.

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on April 21, 2020, 05:07:29 PM
When was the Williams defection posted?  Interesting that in Harry Schroeder's article in the Valley Hoops Insider from April 17th the thought was the Williams was staying at UE. Harry also had a nice interview with Paul Oren on the podcast. http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/mvc-offseason-update-ue-valpo/

It was posted on the 20th.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

Someone reporting on Peegs(IU) said both Valpo and Grand Canyon are pursuing IU transfer Damezi Ande He is from So. Bend Riley and if he gets back on track would be a great pickup and certainly would create a lot of interest from fans in Northern Indiana.  He is a 6'6''soph wing man but had  alot of shooting problems at IU.

valpo64

Sorry...his name is Damezi Anderson.

VUGrad1314

How or why are we active on the transfer market? We don't have any open scholarships. Unless we do in which case why haven't we heard anything yet about anybody transferring?

justducky

Quote from: valpo64 on April 24, 2020, 11:59:27 AMHe is from So. Bend Riley and if he gets back on track would be a great pickup and certainly would create a lot of interest from fans in Northern Indiana.  He is a 6'6''soph wing man but had  alot of shooting problems at IU.

Even if we had a scholarship why would he interest us? His freshman 3 point % was 23.3 in 21 games and that fell to 22.9% in 18 games as a sophomore.  :o Both seasons his 2 point shooting was only a touch better with an equally unimpressive assist to turnover ratio. No thank you--this guy makes Zion Morgan look like Annie Oakley.

valpo64

You may be right.  However, remember IU wanted him as did many other top programs.  I guess some guys pan out and others do not...It is interesting that even many people's golden boy coach Bryce Drew apparently is interested also,  so who knows.  I am not saying he is answer to our needs , however after sitting out a year he would have 2 years left I think which would fit in well with our needs up front in another year.  Whatever.

EddieCabot

Quote from: valpo64 on April 24, 2020, 08:20:54 PM
You may be right.  However, remember IU wanted him as did many other top programs.  I guess some guys pan out and others do not...It is interesting that even many people's golden boy coach Bryce Drew apparently is interested also,  so who knows.  I am not saying he is answer to our needs , however after sitting out a year he would have 2 years left I think which would fit in well with our needs up front in another year.  Whatever.

He's the all-time leading scorer at South Bend Riley, so I wouldn't dismiss him as a potential contributor at Valpo.  But, unless JFL stays in the draft there are no scholarships available.  I think Valpo is not in play as they'll hold the spot for JFL.

vu72

If its true that Valpo has an interest, it could just be a case of recruiting "just in case". As far back as Lubos Barton, I remember talking to Homer about a recruit that was just in case Lubos went pro.  I suspect that in today's world, with all the transfer stuff, that coaches have their radar up all the time--"just in case".
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

I think also sources, they're close to the recruit, can beef up what's occurring. Pursuing can  mean a couple of texts from a Valpo coach that recruited him earlier. Not that we are in a full court press to get him.

vu72

Interestingly enough, all the transfer stuff does not carry over to the Women's side of things.  With Nicole transferring from Valpo, the league total now stands at 7 with 3 of those coming from Loyola, including their leading scorer, Abby O'Connor

valpotx

Good for Nicole in transferring, as minutes would be hard to come by next season, given how well we played without her in the lineup, and the bulk of the team coming back.  We've rarely lost good talent on the women's side.  I believe that Tabitha Gerardot went to IU for her graduate transfer year, Jasmyn Walker left for WMU to play with her younger sister, and before that, Mallory Ladd left us for Evansville after a standout first 6 games of her FR season.  Any others in the last decade?
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpotx on April 28, 2020, 12:26:31 AM
Good for Nicole in transferring, as minutes would be hard to come by next season, given how well we played without her in the lineup, and the bulk of the team coming back.  We've rarely lost good talent on the women's side.  I believe that Tabitha Gerardot went to IU for her graduate transfer year, Jasmyn Walker left for WMU to play with her younger sister, and before that, Mallory Ladd left us for Evansville after a standout first 6 games of her FR season.  Any others in the last decade?
It will be interesting to see her playing time at SFA. They have been a perennial 20 win team.

The only D1 transfer I could think of was Betsy Adams.

mj

Paul just tweeted that JFL is gonna transfer....
I believe that we will win.

NativeCheesehead

Always felt like JFL had one foot out the door since the day he arrived.

vok22

Honestly, whatever. He never sounded like he was gonna stay four years anyway so mine as well just get past him now. It wasn't a month and a half ago he told the press he wasn't transferring, so I'm done with his transfer games. Wants to be here, wants to transfer, actually not, goes to MVC title, says he's excited for the next few years at valpo, decides to transfer again. We have a REALLY promising roster despite the loss.

M

Doing this once and coming back I think all is forgiven and water under the bridge...pulling this twice - I don't even think I'd be interested in having him back. Good luck elsewhere. I'm not sure where he can go where he'll have as much opportunity to put his entire skill set on display as he did here. 

SanityLost17

Combination of.....
1. No school all spring =  Not around the team and coaching staff but plenty of other people in his ear to push him elsewhere. 
2. They are gonna allow immediate eligibility for all transfers next year I guarantee it and the people in his ear know this. Won't have to sit out a year. 

If both of those things don't happen in combination, I actually don't think he would have left, because he was improving and the team culture was finally to his liking.   

This is somewhat just bad luck.   Without the coronavirus/pending transfer rule, I think we would have had him for 1 more year then he would have went to the NBA or transferred to a high major as a grad transfer.   Oh well...  Clay is gonna take on his role next year and be really good.   Definitely will need 2 of the freshman to be legit and Robinson to be healthy, but I think we are a middle of the road 5th or 6th best team in the valley next year without him.  Shouldn't be a Thursday team even with the loss.   

GoldenCrusader87

Will be interesting to see how others could follow suit. Particularly Clay. Building a team around JFL provides a lot of buzz. Not a reassuring thing for Coach L to say he was surprised by the news? Shouldn't be the case. He should know and be in communication with these guys. Plain and simple. And for those being dismissive of JFL as he transfers, that's shameful. He poured his blood, sweat, and tears into that court in a Valpo uniform. We should be thankful for the 2 years. JFL provided the best March madness we got this year playing through what he played through. Wish him the best. Will support him wherever he goes.

He doesn't owe us anything and has more than paid his dues.

NativeCheesehead

Disappointing to say the least. But the bottom line is this: When coaches show little loyalty toward schools, why should we expect any different from players? Javon is doing what he thinks is best for his career. No different than Scott going to Baylor and Bryce going to Vandy. And every year we hear stories of new coaches not renewing the scholarships of players who have given everything to their programs.

And whatever side of the debate you're on regarding compensation for players, put yourself in the shoes of a kid who will watch his coach get an apparel contract, be able to appear in TV ads, run paid camps in the summer, and yet if someone buys the kid a cheeseburger he could lose his eligibility.

Coaches act in their best interest. So do players. The only parties consistently screwed are the fans.

VU2014

Wow. Honestly this hurts. I honestly didn't think he'd transfer after saying he was staying.

coaches May have saw this coming.

vu72

Very disappointing when he said he was coming back--BUT, this isn't the end of the world, though we might think so right now.  Remember our 89-74 win late in the season over Missouri State?  No JFL.  Lot's of talent on this team.

NativeCheesehead

I see he's already laying the groundwork for immediate eligibility on Twitter. Looks like Dildy came through a year later.

78crusader

I think a guy should stand by his word.

Paul

IrishDawg

Quote from: SanityLost17 on April 28, 2020, 09:48:08 AM
2. They are gonna allow immediate eligibility for all transfers next year I guarantee it and the people in his ear know this. Won't have to sit out a year. 

Agree with a lot of what you posted, and I think this is the biggest reason for his transfer.  JFL stated that he came back to Valpo because he didn't want to sit out a year and didn't exactly give a ringing endorsement to the school or program when he was interviewed about why he came back.

Him saying what he said immediately after the MVC title game was a heat of the moment reaction.  Not great that he's gone back on that, but it happens.

Also agree Valpo should still have a lot of promise next season regardless if JFL is on the roster or not.