• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Up to the Minute Coronavirus Information

Started by VUGrad1314, March 12, 2020, 01:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Stay away from the states that remain completely locked down and have the strictest rules, and you'll be fine. They have some of the highest COVID rates in the nation.

vuny98

Quote from: wh on January 28, 2021, 02:22:25 PMStay away from the states that remain completely locked down and have the strictest rules, and you'll be fine. They have some of the highest COVID rates in the nation.
Also be sure to wear a mask... wait, correction its two masks you need to wear... whats that, sorry, they are now saying three masks should do it.

justducky

So much going on now that a 5,000 word post with 20 links would still not cover everything. Still, at the known risk of missing important details I will try to briefly float some reopening thoughts and questions.

Vaccination win, lose or draw there is now no way the economy and pro or college sports can continue with another year of near complete lockdown so the speed and methods for normalization become our primary focus. How do we get those with little or no risk of spreading infection or being infected back in to the stands as safely and quickly as possible? There should be hundreds of organizations and many thousands of individuals working on this as we speak. Who is doing the thinking here and who is doing it for the Valley and are they up to challenge? Will the conferences make these calls or will the NCAA take the lead?

Anybody with any speculation on this process?

wh

I'm surprised the country isn't farther along toward opening up. COVID has already served it's purpose.

justducky

Quote from: wh on January 29, 2021, 12:04:02 PMI'm surprised the country isn't farther along toward opening up. COVID has already served it's purpose.

Extremely cynical and beneath you! PM me if you wish to continue. 

crusader05

Based on vaccine supply and demand I'd think that we should be back to near normal or close to near normal attendance by next year. It will all depend on how many people choose to get the vaccine and if we can stay ahead of the newer strains that are starting to and will continue to pop up. I wouldn't be surprised if, much like the flu, there may need to be annual booster shots to help against mutations.

vu84v2

Quote from: crusader05 on January 29, 2021, 12:26:48 PM
Based on vaccine supply and demand I'd think that we should be back to near normal or close to near normal attendance by next year. It will all depend on how many people choose to get the vaccine and if we can stay ahead of the newer strains that are starting to and will continue to pop up. I wouldn't be surprised if, much like the flu, there may need to be annual booster shots to help against mutations.

We do need to get all activities, including attending sporting events, back to normal by Fall. My guess is that attendance for concerts, sporting events, et. will require proof of vaccination. For universities, managing this with attendance will be a little easier since my guess is that most (if not all) universities will require students to be vaccinated as a prerequisite for attending in-person. The requirement will also be fairly realistic since many employers will also require all of their employees to be vaccinated. Without the vaccination requirement, attendance at concerts and sporting events without social distancing, etc. will require 'herd immunity'...which is going to be very difficult to get to in 2021.

vuny98

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 29, 2021, 12:48:02 PM
Quote from: crusader05 on January 29, 2021, 12:26:48 PMBased on vaccine supply and demand I'd think that we should be back to near normal or close to near normal attendance by next year. It will all depend on how many people choose to get the vaccine and if we can stay ahead of the newer strains that are starting to and will continue to pop up. I wouldn't be surprised if, much like the flu, there may need to be annual booster shots to help against mutations.
We do need to get all activities, including attending sporting events, back to normal by Fall. My guess is that attendance for concerts, sporting events, et. will require proof of vaccination. For universities, managing this with attendance will be a little easier since my guess is that most (if not all) universities will require students to be vaccinated as a prerequisite for attending in-person. The requirement will also be fairly realistic since many employers will also require all of their employees to be vaccinated. Without the vaccination requirement, attendance at concerts and sporting events without social distancing, etc. will require 'herd immunity'...which is going to be very difficult to get to in 2021.

- Requesting vaccination for admittance to a venue will be tough and is a slippery slope IMO.

- We have seen many states open up capacity, have in person fans at events, theme parks open, etc. with little or no negative side effects in comparison to those that have not. As WH pointed out, these states as a whole have fared fare better than others. I know population density and other factors come into play, but if it does not seem to be driving the numbers.

- Universal masking, social distancing, curfews, business closures, etc. were all supposed to help slow the spread. You could have made that argument for the first wave, but all those things were in place across the board before this 2nd wave hit. Yet it didn't slow it down.

- Large numbers of people are willing to live with the risk. I recently flew to Florida, on a packed plane, stood in lines at a near capacity Universal Studios, then drove to a resort and stayed at a full hotel, with packed pools and beaches. For large portions of America, its not fear of the virus that is keeping them away from events, its government control.

- Overall deaths in America is down. The virus almost exclusively affects older populations and those with preexisting conditions. If we were able to have honest conversations, we would be able to debate if its the comorbidities that played the larger role in many of the deaths and COVID was much like the Flu would be to these patients, exasperating the issues that were already killing them.

- All this is to say, things should open back up. Its never going to be perfect. People will still get sick and die, just like they have for all of human history. I understand being cautious, and I understand COVID is very infectious. Open slowly, keep some restrictions if it makes people feel better. But going on a year now of this, we can't wait till COVID is gone and everyone has a vaccine and there is zero risk (I'm being hyperbolic here if you cant tell). If and when COVID is gone, the next virus will hit in a few years time. We can't make this reaction to sickness the new normal and the cycle should be stopped now instead of constantly moving the goalposts.

NativeCheesehead

If you think "COVID has served  its purpose" I suggest you turn off QAnon TV and come back to reality.

PlumStreetBum

Quick reminder that this is a basketball board.  ;)

wh

VUGrad1314

I regret having started this thread...  The subsection of the forum for right wing BS and conspiracy theories is elsewhere on this board... It can't possibly have anything to do with having a President that doesn't make it his central platform to downplay the virus can it? It can't possibly be because  we finally have a President that actually wants to DO HIS JOB instead of just having his ego stroked all day every day. No must be those gosh darn elites trying to screw over Middle America again...

wh

FWIW my brother was just hospitalized, and I learned that Northwest Indiana Health (formerly Porter Regional) has loosened their visitor restrictions effective today "based on the decrease in positive COVID-19 cases in the community."  I don't know any more than that, but I'm assuming a change would be made only if the reduction is significant and sustained. Just wondering if the Porter County Health Dept.  and the university might loosen restrictions at the ARC, as well.
Just a thought. A bit of good news in any event.

https://www.nwhealthporter.com/patients-visitors

justducky

Vaccines were developed in record time, the speed of their delivery is ratcheting up, mortality rates have dropped dramatically, and the post holiday infection decline is the latest positive.  :thumbsup:

A cautious plan for getting things reopened is overdue. We'd like to see some basketball!    :'(

bbtds

Quote from: wh on February 03, 2021, 06:54:17 AM
FWIW my brother was just hospitalized, and I learned that Northwest Indiana Health (formerly Porter Regional) has loosened their visitor restrictions effective today "based on the decrease in positive COVID-19 cases in the community."  I don't know any more than that, but I'm assuming a change would be made only if the reduction is significant and sustained. Just wondering if the Porter County Health Dept.  and the university might loosen restrictions at the ARC, as well.
Just a thought. A bit of good news in any event.

https://www.nwhealthporter.com/patients-visitors

I also would love to attend a Valpo MBB game this year and would if VU said "okay" but my feeling is that it won't happen for MBB this season.

VALPO LI

This is an interesting one.  Rutgers University is the first college to mandate students to be vaccinated to attend in person classes on campus this fall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/world/rutgers-covid-vaccine.html

Second article with a little more detail.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2021/03/26/rutgers-university-first-us-require-covid-vaccine-students/7010077002/
Shine on Vu

vu84v2

Quote from: VALPO LI on March 26, 2021, 01:11:54 PM
This is an interesting one.  Rutgers University is the first college to mandate students to be vaccinated to attend in person classes on campus this fall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/world/rutgers-covid-vaccine.html

Second article with a little more detail.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2021/03/26/rutgers-university-first-us-require-covid-vaccine-students/7010077002/

My guess is that most universities will (and should) require students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated unless they have a clear medical reason why they cannot receive a vaccination. Universities already require other vaccinations for students, so this would just be a logical extension of existing policies.

wh

"You Can Pry My Mask Off My Cold, Dead Face" – Covid Cultists Go Berserk After CDC Updates Mask Guidance, Big Box Retailers Drop Mask Mandates

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/05/can-pry-mask-off-cold-dead-face-covid-cultists-go-berserk-cdc-updates-mask-guidance-big-box-retailers-drop-mask-mandates/

This is so predictable, it's barely newsworthy. I'm far more interested in how this will affect attendance at home games this coming season. Every Valpo student and employee and many from the community will have been vaccinated, and according to the CDC announcement have no need to mask up or social distance, inside or outside. People who haven't been vaccinated can opt to wear a mask, or not, and risk passing COVID back and forth to each other - or simply stay home.

Isn't it that straightforward, or am I missing something?

humbleopinion

Quote from: wh on May 15, 2021, 08:07:06 AM
"You Can Pry My Mask Off My Cold, Dead Face" – Covid Cultists Go Berserk After CDC Updates Mask Guidance, Big Box Retailers Drop Mask Mandates

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/05/can-pry-mask-off-cold-dead-face-covid-cultists-go-berserk-cdc-updates-mask-guidance-big-box-retailers-drop-mask-mandates/

This is so predictable, it's barely newsworthy. I'm far more interested in how this will affect attendance at home games this coming season. Every Valpo student and employee and many from the community will have been vaccinated, and according to the CDC announcement have no need to mask up or social distance, inside or outside. People who haven't been vaccinated can opt to wear a mask, or not, and risk passing COVID back and forth to each other - or simply stay home.

Immunocompromised folk may choose to wear masks, and I wouldn't challenge the freedom for anyone to continue to wear masks, bit if you're using Gateway Pundit for your news source, you are clearly going to be missing something.
Beamin' Beacons

vu72

I work for the DoD and as of today those of us fully vaccinated no long have to where masks in government buildings. Yeah!! ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo2010

Quote from: wh on May 15, 2021, 08:07:06 AM"You Can Pry My Mask Off My Cold, Dead Face" – Covid Cultists Go Berserk After CDC Updates Mask Guidance, Big Box Retailers Drop Mask Mandates

Not intending to express an opinion one way or another on this topic...but I always thought "The Gateway Pundit" was satirical news?  Like "The Onion"? 

wh

Quote from: humbleopinion on May 15, 2021, 08:14:56 AM

Immunocompromised folk may choose to wear masks, and I wouldn't challenge the freedom for anyone to continue to wear masks, bit if you're using Gateway Pundit for your news source, you are clearly going to be missing something.

No one has ever challenged, is challenging, or ever will challenge anyone's freedom to wear a mask. These tweeters know that as well as we do. This is nothing more than "misery loves company"  suddenly realizing that "company" is leaving them.

humbleopinion

Quote from: wh on May 15, 2021, 12:33:49 PM
Quote from: humbleopinion on May 15, 2021, 08:14:56 AM

No one has ever challenged, is challenging, or ever will challenge anyone's freedom to wear a mask. These tweeters know that as well as we do. This is nothing more than "misery loves company"  suddenly realizing that "company" is leaving them.

No one? https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/mask-dispute-prompts-heated-exchange-between-rep-swalwell-marjorie-taylor-n1267422
Beamin' Beacons

JD24

Quote from: Valpo2010 on May 15, 2021, 11:45:26 AM
Quote from: wh on May 15, 2021, 08:07:06 AM"You Can Pry My Mask Off My Cold, Dead Face" – Covid Cultists Go Berserk After CDC Updates Mask Guidance, Big Box Retailers Drop Mask Mandates https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/05/can-pry-mask-off-cold-dead-face-covid-cultists-go-berserk-cdc-updates-mask-guidance-big-box-retailers-drop-mask-mandates/
Not intending to express an opinion one way or another on this topic...but I always thought "The Gateway Pundit" was satirical news?  Like "The Onion"?
GP is an extreme right promoter of hoaxes and conspiracy theories. The Onion is funny satire most of the time. The only way GP would be considered funny would be in a point and laugh fashion.