• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo football:0-29 and folding,#246 and holding

Started by setshot, November 06, 2011, 07:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

Still ranked dead last at #246. Remaing games are against two North Carolina teams ranked #206 (Campbell) and # 243 (Davidson). Hell, we will probably lose both,go 0-11 for the second year in a row. 0-31 over the past three years and rank dead last at #246 in the Sagarin poll. Way to go Valpo,first in the hearts of your alumni,but dead last in the Sagarin poll. Everybody loves a loser,except ME!  Drop football!

Football Fan

The answer is to stop playing the young men who are fumbling the ball, throwing interceptions and missing tackles. 19, 23, 44 >:(.....the list goes on and on.  I know this is painful for the coach but maybe it is time to give some of your upperclassmen who have pretty much been mothballed....a chance.  Some have never gotten it with the coaching changes at Valpo.

Your senior qb has given the team four years of his life.........you can't give him 5 minutes on the field?  Really?  What about the junior?  How many more mistakes can they make that those that have already been made? 

What do you have to lose?  You will likely be pleasantly surprised.  Look at the kids high school stats......they are NOT an empty cupboard as you have said time and time again,  Quit writing about character when you are doing nothing but destroying these upperclassmen with your careless and crazy comments.  Watch the replays...see who is doing a good job.....take off the blinders....before it is too late. 

rlh

Quote from: Football Fan on November 06, 2011, 08:58:52 AM
The answer is to stop playing the young men who are fumbling the ball, throwing interceptions and missing tackles. 19, 23, 44 >:(.....the list goes on and on.  I know this is painful for the coach but maybe it is time to give some of your upperclassmen who have pretty much been mothballed....a chance.  Some have never gotten it with the coaching changes at Valpo.

Your senior qb has given the team four years of his life.........you can't give him 5 minutes on the field?  Really?  What about the junior?  How many more mistakes can they make that those that have already been made? 

What do you have to lose?  You will likely be pleasantly surprised.  Look at the kids high school stats......they are NOT an empty cupboard as you have said time and time again,  Quit writing about character when you are doing nothing but destroying these upperclassmen with your careless and crazy comments.  Watch the replays...see who is doing a good job.....take off the blinders....before it is too late. 
I'm guessing your son is one of those upperclassman....who when they had their chanced didn't do any better.  I'm sorry, I'd feel the same way if it were my son not playing and they were losing, but it is what it is at this point and denegrating the coaching staff won't solve the problem

Football Fan

It is what it is.......I am just saying to take off the blinders and be open and honest about what you have.  Put the best team you have on the field.....to win.

valpotx

Quote from: Football Fan on November 06, 2011, 08:58:52 AM
The answer is to stop playing the young men who are fumbling the ball, throwing interceptions and missing tackles. 19, 23, 44 >:(.....the list goes on and on.  I know this is painful for the coach but maybe it is time to give some of your upperclassmen who have pretty much been mothballed....a chance.  Some have never gotten it with the coaching changes at Valpo.

Your senior qb has given the team four years of his life.........you can't give him 5 minutes on the field?  Really?  What about the junior?  How many more mistakes can they make that those that have already been made?  

What do you have to lose?  You will likely be pleasantly surprised.  Look at the kids high school stats......they are NOT an empty cupboard as you have said time and time again,  Quit writing about character when you are doing nothing but destroying these upperclassmen with your careless and crazy comments.  Watch the replays...see who is doing a good job.....take off the blinders....before it is too late.  

The problem is that the Sr QB you mentioned did some playing time last year, and did this:

finished the year 13-of-38 passing for 108 yards

I imagine that a lot of these snaps were against other team's reserves late in the game while we were getting beaten.  A 33% completion rate won't be helping us any.  Hoffman has a bright future if we can get some blocking and passes not dropped..
"Don't mess with Texas"

chef

The Srs that have played well over the past few years have played plenty this year. Carson, Heber, Bushong, Gokan, Treadaway, Blair, Grillo, Velez and McCarty have all started and played huge minutes all year. Hoffman and Ali-El play because the coaches and most everybody close to the program believe they give Valpo the best chance to win.

covufan

Generally speaking, most coaches play the kids that are showing the most ability during practices.  If during a game the starter is not doing well or becomes injured, a player may get a chance.  Depending on what that player does during that chance, will give the coaches more insight into the players ability.  I really don't think that Carlson, or the assistants, are choosing the playing time by who recruited them or what year they are in school. 

setshot

Good luck to the 17 seniors playing their last home game at VU. They stuck it out during a 29 (soon to be 30) consecutive game losing streak. I'm sure they will be winners in future endeavors. :thumbsup:

sectionee

Why wouldn't they play the younger kids? You aren't going to develop a winner with kids who are in their final season.  They need to get these young guys as much experience as possible and try to build the program up that way. 

With that said, hopefully all the seniors will see some meaningful minutes in their final home game.

valporun

sectionee, Coach Carlson is playing a lot of the younger kids. They are some of the reason for the mistakes, but that's the process of learning that you're calling for. I know I made a comment this about a month ago, and now I'm seeing that the mistakes are out there because the kids are using some of what they are learning, but could use some upperclassmen to really learn the ropes of the system from, but the upperclassmen aren't leading the kids very well.

vuweathernerd

a chunk of the upperclassmen (not all of them, mind you all - some are genuinely good people) aren't exactly the shining beacons of character that we'd like to have on the team. so i can't say i'm surprised that some of them wouldn't be helping the younger kids.

milanmiracle

Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 09, 2011, 01:25:11 PM
a chunk of the upperclassmen (not all of them, mind you all - some are genuinely good people) aren't exactly the shining beacons of character that we'd like to have on the team. so i can't say i'm surprised that some of them wouldn't be helping the younger kids.

I guess I am not too terribly surprised by that since it's a "building for the future" scenario and running a system that isn't giving them the best chance to win immediately. What can you really expect when you've spent the last 2 years getting your butt kicked and winning right now by whatever means necessary isn't a priority.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vuweathernerd

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 09, 2011, 07:01:20 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 09, 2011, 01:25:11 PM

I guess I am not too terribly surprised by that since it's a "building for the future" scenario and running a system that isn't giving them the best chance to win immediately. What can you really expect when you've spent the last 2 years getting your butt kicked and winning right now by whatever means necessary isn't a priority.

i can't attest to the types of players that coach carlson has brought in, since his first true class came in during my last semester. but that was the general character of the players, as i experienced them, going through the program under stacy adams.