• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Loyola @ Valpo Women Tues 19'th ESPN3 Men Wed 20'th ESPN+ 6PM For Both

Started by justducky, January 18, 2021, 01:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

I'm more interested in the post game press conference than the rest of the game. I'd like Paul Oren (NWI Times) & Dave Melton (Post Tribune) to ask some tough questions of the coach. Remain professional but fair.

I'll be sure to post the you link here after I see it come up on YouTube.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

This is an interesting tweet. Donovan's Dad thinks the guys aren't getting pushed and standards are being met. So many questions.

https://twitter.com/dexterclay1977/status/1352062007759945734?s=21

valpotx

I don't really see Donovan trying to pick guys up, either, or get them energized.  You can't call out your teammates, if you aren't trying to change things on your side, as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Watching this game is difficult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU2014

Couldn't even crack 40 points... what a @$"@ing joke. This team couldn't beat a D3 team the way they played today. Credit to Loyola they were exceptional and we were exceptionally awful...

Seriously I get the quarantines and not getting to practice or workout and that is devastating towards build any kind of continuity and stunts the
Kids growth but wow.

Could at least have the coaches get the kids some iPads and force them to watch game film and have the coaches quiz the guys via zoom and instantly force a guy to react and say what he thinks should happen while watching film? It's apparent the team doesn't know what they are doing. Standing around, running into each other when they do move around and then settling for a 3 when Krikke doesn't bail them out.

NativeCheesehead

So here's the weirdest thing about this loss. I didn't watch it, and I'm not that upset. I've lived and died with this team for 30 years, and I'm just....apathetic.

I remain no less invested in the long term success of this program. But under this coach, and this AD, I'm just not there.

vok22

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 20, 2021, 08:14:19 PM
So here's the weirdest thing about this loss. I didn't watch it, and I'm not that upset. I've lived and died with this team for 30 years, and I'm just....apathetic.

I remain no less invested in the long term success of this program. But under this coach, and this AD, I'm just not there.

I don't think you could've summed up how I'm feeling any better.

oklahomamick

Well said Native Cheesehead.  This is the first game I watched from jump ball to the end.  Probably won't do so again for the rest of the season.  Each season I pay less and less attention to the program.  It's sad.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

After tonight's game, I went to YouTube to see the postgame conference, and in my YT recommended list the following video appeared. I'd never seen it before and it is grainy since it was posted in 2010; however, this video seemed appropriate to view this evening to see what is lacking currently in the program. Watch it and weep!

mj

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 20, 2021, 08:14:19 PMSo here's the weirdest thing about this loss. I didn't watch it, and I'm not that upset. I've lived and died with this team for 30 years, and I'm just....apathetic.

This 100%. Not a good sign for your program when you're losing the diehard fans.
I believe that we will win.

truth219

VU2014

Quote from: truth219 on January 20, 2021, 09:20:13 PM
Fire matt lottich and put Gore as head coach

There are a couple hundred thousand reasons that won't happen

VUGrad1314

How many more years on Lottich's contract? 3? 4? Will this program even have a pulse left when he's done? Or are we back to being the Pre-Drew Crusaders? Lightning doesn't strike like that twice. Without serious institutional commitment (which might not even be possible) the flagship program of this university looks doomed to the doldrums for decades... This is a sad time to be a fan. It's like we got into our dream conference and stopped caring about doing the things that got us there in the first place.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 20, 2021, 10:09:04 PM
How many more years on Lottich's contract? 3? 4? Will this program even have a pulse left when he's done? Or are we back to being the Pre-Drew Crusaders? Lightning doesn't strike like that twice. Without serious institutional commitment (which might not even be possible) the flagship program of this university looks doomed to the doldrums for decades... This is a sad time to be a fan. It's like we got into our dream conference and stopped caring about doing the things that got us there in the first place.

I think 4 more years. But I don't think contract language was officially released. No clue about buyouts, but it's pretty nuts if we don't have a buyout option after year 2 or something.

Labarbera hitch his wagon to Lottich, hopefully he's not too stubborn admit his mistake. If we can afford to rip the band aid off. As little confidence as I have things will get turned around, I might give him until the end of next season and give him a mulligan this  season. But it's truly painful watching this team. I'm too invested in this program emotionally to not watch the games. I hope a LaBarbera can confide in someone who is a intelligent basketball minded (former successful coach maybe) 3rd party (not the Drew Family or anyone connect to Lottich or the Program) and ask them to honestly review the Lottich tenure. Not just this year. If the University can pay for Mascot thing they can afford a consultant to give the thumbs up or down on Lottich.

Seriously this program is too important to let run it's course like it did with women's program with Dorrow. MLB nailed the women's hire when he looked outside the coaching tree. Maybe he needs to do the same with the Men's Team. One interesting thing to note is that Dorrow was signed an extension in 2016 and it went through the 17-18 season. So what is that a two year contract?  Maybe Lottich's extension was a prove it, two year deal?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-local-roundup-st-0323-20160322-story.html
https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-spt-valparaiso-mark-labarbera-st-041020-20200409-yxnsptrcqjf5linbsszol5eoma-story.html

QuoteQ: How would you assess the job that coach Matt Lottich has done? He has a five-year contract, correct?

A: Well, contracts, that's something we usually aren't going to talk about. But we certainly want to keep Matt. He's the right person for Valparaiso University. He's demonstrated that. He's been underappreciated for the challenges he's faced as our head coach. He's the right fit for us. We're a basketball team that's shown a lot more of his personality and style of play, and it feels more like what Valparaiso basketball traditionally has been. He's a good fit for us culturally, historically and traditionally. Our intention is to have him as our basketball coach moving forward.

QuoteQ: Heading into his fifth season, would a contract extension be in order?

A: We know he'll have other opportunities. Other schools and ADs appreciate what he's done here in the Missouri Valley Conference. We want to keep him here for at least the foreseeable future. People on the inside of athletics, who work in intercollegiate athletics on a regular basis, appreciate what Matt's done and what some of the challenges are at a mid-major school like Valparaiso and other Valley schools. A lot of people have high regard for him in college basketball. He does the right thing. He represents Valparaiso University the way Valparaiso University expects to be represented. He has honesty and integrity and compassion for the kids.

may know

valpotx

That video from 2010 is a great reminder of the type of guts, toughness, and basketball IQ, that has typified Valpo basketball throughout the years.  This crap that I have watched over the last few games, is more typical of a program such as Youngstown State
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

Didn't bother watching the game tonight. After the debacle at DePaul, I didn't see much point though I did check the game tracker occasionally.  I see the team didn't fail to disappoint. After the dumpster fire that was everything about 2020, and the terrible overall start to 2021, I had hoped that maybe the team could somehow build on their run in the conference tournament last spring and bring something positive to look forward to. Living near Cincinnati, I am used to our professional teams winning a few games at the end of the season, building up hope for improvement the next year, and then disappointing all over again the next year. I fear Valpo is falling into the same model, and quite frankly I don't need another team I follow to continually disappoint. I remember when Valpo moved up to the Horizon League, they sucked for a few years, but I had faith that they would turn things around and they did. In moving up to the MVC, I expected that they would suck initially, but after a few years start to compete for titles. They have shown some marginal improvement in conference record each year from their first season, and last year's conference tournament run gave me hope. Yet from what I've seen so far this season it looks like last years season's end was just another head fake leading to another disappointment the following year. I'm willing to write this year off as an aberration what with COVID and everything, but frankly I only see see a couple of players on the team that look like they belong in the MVC, and maybe a couple of newcomers that might develop into Valley level players. But what I see is a team that doesn't seem like they have a clue how to compete, let alone win in the Valley. I'm not smart enough to know whether it's a recruiting failure or a coaching failure. But if we continue to be bottom dwellers without any sign of improvement then I will find something else to do with my time. This would probably please my wife because I tend to become quite vocal when I'm involved in watching games. I hope the team/school can figure something out but I am too old to emotionally invest in perpetual losers. Btw, I seldom watch the Reds anymore, and watch the Bungals only because they are usaually the only nfl game that is on at 1 pm.  Mostly, I see them on other team's highlight reels, and quite frankly I'm  sick of following losers.

oklahomamick

At this point, I feel bad for the players.  This is not what they expected when coming to Valpo. 
CRUSADERS!!!

SanityLost17

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 21, 2021, 07:47:21 AM
At this point, I feel bad for the players.  This is not what they expected when coming to Valpo.

I would argue perhaps a lot of these players have given up and are not even trying.    They were given rough circumstances (Robinson and McMillan both not really playing) and they have given up and are not even playing hard.   Have not really been playing hard all season. 

I am willing to blame Lottich for not recruiting guys with fight in them, but I'm not sure I feel bad for college players who give the effort I saw last night. 

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

I agree sanity lost.  But I think the effort started declining after they lost the reason to belief.  Doesn't make it right....but people fight in things they believe in. 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

On the bright side....

Who cashed in on Loyola -11?  Never had to worry about it.
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpo89

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 21, 2021, 08:17:36 AM
On the bright side....

Who cashed in on Loyola -11?  Never had to worry about it.
I only wish I had wagered more the last two games.

On another note regarding the Lottich era: The problem stems from the moment Bryce left for Vanderbilt. Labarbara made a long-term decision to hire a head coach based on the short-term desires of the players in the program at the time. In other words, if Alec Peters said, "hire Matt Lottich or I'm gone," that's what happened. That season didn't exactly pan out as expected (Jubril Adekoya situation, Peters injury at the end of the year), and now VU fans have been saddled with mediocrity (I'm being nice) ever since with the exception being the miracle run through last season's MVC tournament. Maybe Javon saw the writing on the wall. LaBarbara sacrificed possible long-term sustained success over what was hoped to be One Shining Moment that never materialized.