• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Crusaders Retired

Started by may know, February 11, 2021, 11:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

PO article on potential mascots:

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/paul-oren-5-nicknames-valparaiso-should-consider/article_c95b389d-2f7a-5709-8e0c-4aefc61d9a9a.html?fbclid=IwAR0lZWrBGW5crHunqnP8ICoPQ0uzXHg78wjYmgiE9W9itjti0b8re477lbo#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

I don't think that we should base our mascot on an academic program.  There was a suggestion in the Facebook feed of something tied to the Meteorology department.  While I very much respect that program and the folks it has produced, the purpose of an athletics program is not tied to highlighting a single major. 

Also, I don't like the Koala.  Too cutesy for a mascot name, and nothing to do with the university or region.  On anything tied to the Dunes, why should we honor the region, when for the most part, it seems like the region does not want to embrace Valpo as the region's team, due to their dislike of VHS?
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Golden Knights out of those suggested would be the only suggestion made that I'd consider and some I'd outright laugh at. Since that move may require only the name change and not necessarily a mascot change....that's my choice.

I agree that a color change would increase the cost and probably substantially.

valpopal

If Valpo were able to incorporate the "Golden Knights" much like the Vegas hockey team, which includes a "V" on a shield and a mascot similar to the Crusader, money could be saved. In addition, this choice might receive the most positive response from those who consider themselves Crusader fans, perhaps more importantly unifying the community.

M

I don't hate the Shield or the DuneHawks...also someone suggested putting the Chapel or Victory Bell silhouette on the court, I'd 100% be for that addition as I think it would look great.

vuny98

Quote from: JD24 on February 24, 2021, 10:58:04 AMGolden Knights out of those suggested would be the only suggestion made that I'd consider and some I'd outright laugh at. Since that move may require only the name change and not necessarily a mascot change....that's my choice. I agree that a color change would increase the cost and probably substantially.
I like Golden Knights and I tend to like the thought of keeping the same imagery and symbols with just the name change... Other Schools have done this in the past and it seems to be a good comprise.

Question, and its a serious one, would that appease those that are pushing for the change or would people complain that the new mascot is just a rehash of the old and not moving far enough away from the Crusader. Also, UCF was the Golden Knights until they changed to just "Knights" a few years back. Not sure if that matters, but its not a completely original name along with the Vegas NHL team.

wh

Quote from: valpotx on February 24, 2021, 10:44:10 AM
PO article on potential mascots:

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/paul-oren-5-nicknames-valparaiso-should-consider/article_c95b389d-2f7a-5709-8e0c-4aefc61d9a9a.html?fbclid=IwAR0lZWrBGW5crHunqnP8ICoPQ0uzXHg78wjYmgiE9W9itjti0b8re477lbo#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

I don't think that we should base our mascot on an academic program.  There was a suggestion in the Facebook feed of something tied to the Meteorology department.  While I very much respect that program and the folks it has produced, the purpose of an athletics program is not tied to highlighting a single major. 

Also, I don't like the Koala.  Too cutesy for a mascot name, and nothing to do with the university or region.  On anything tied to the Dunes, why should we honor the region, when for the most part, it seems like the region does not want to embrace Valpo as the region's team, due to their dislike of VHS?

Based on past relationships I would agree. That said, if Valpo follows through in partnering with Grand Canyon Education, all future branding should reflect its desire to be the higher education center of choice in NWI. IMO selecting a nickname and mascot that in some way reflects a tie to the region is a marketing no-brainer.

BTW, once Valpo engages students from local communities, diversity is going to take on a whole new meaning. For instance, no longer will Valpo be able to mask its low level of black and Hispanic faculty members by combining it with a higher percentage of faculty of Asian and Middle East heritage. Everyone knows those groups are not underserved.

vu72

Quote from: vuny98 on February 24, 2021, 12:23:01 PMut its not a completely original name along with the Vegas NHL team.

It may be the only "Golden Knight" but along with Central Florida and Army there aren't many using the Knight image.  Compared to say, Bulldogs"  it is extremely unique.  Simple, inexpensive and exactly what we did when moving from the Uhlan to the Crusader.  Brilliant!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I would have to believe that the Vegas NHL team would pushback on any trademark infringement potential, should we become the Golden Knights, and not keep the current imagery.  If we try to adapt too much with that name and color scheme, they will be watching, based on what they went through to come to that name.  I believe that West Point even had some issues with Vegas, when their name was proposed.  If that is the end result, we should keep the current imagery and colors, or it would need a complete revamp, which leads to $$$.

"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

D1 wise there are 5 Knights, Bellarmine, Fairleigh Dickinson and UCF are Knights, Army are the Black Knights and Rutgers are the Scarlet Knights.

Non D1's using Golden Knights are Clarkson, Gannon and the College of Saint Rose. Gannon is in PA while the other 2 are in NY

wh

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 24, 2021, 01:29:21 PM
D1 wise there are 5 Knights, Bellarmine, Fairleigh Dickinson and UCF are Knights, Army are the Black Knights and Rutgers are the Scarlet Knights.

Non D1's using Golden Knights are Clarkson, Gannon and the College of Saint Rose. Gannon is in PA while the other 2 are in NY

Speaking of the UCF Knights, they used to have 2 mascots, a male named Knightro and a female named (brace yourself) Glycerin. A very busty female I might add. At some point they got rid of Glycerin. Not positive, but I think they still have Knightro.

vu84v2

A few thoughts from the many prior posts:

-Golden Knights seems like a really good choice and it has many benefits (retaining much of the recent branding, etc.). Assuming that trademark and copyright issues with the Vegas Golden Knights can be avoided, this is the way to go...and I hope that the "parties at be" don't overthink this.
-Avoid using names at other D1 schools (Golden Knights does this). Also, do not "invent" an animal (I assume there is no such thing as a Dunehawk). Kansas invented the bird to go with Jayhawk, but Jayhawk had an established historical meaning.
-PO's article talks about the transition at Marquette. Yesterday, someone involved in this years ago asked me about Valpo changing its name. This resulted in a discussion on the many problems Marquette encountered when they changed from Warriors. The Warriors to Golden Eagles to Gold to Golden Eagles story is just part of it. The university had major issues with students not supporting the change and with prominent alumni making Marquette look bad (a CEO and Marquette alum announced, with no advance warning and during his speech at the university commencement, that he and another alum would donate $2 Million dollars if Marquette changed its name back to Warriors). Today, we live in a very divisive society in which there is much faster dissemination of information, so any missteps can become big national issues. Valpo's administration now owns navigating the public relations issues without damaging the university's reputation.

Lastly, I am not sure how the Grand Canyon Education issue came into all of this - but I will reiterate my prior points that GCE is a fraudulent company and a highly ethical institution like Valpo should not be entering into any business agreements with them.

sfnmman

This probably should be posted elsewhere but it seems there are a lot of interested readers and posters regarding the Mascot name brouhaha here.  So now the fun begins, finding a new name.  I was recently in Amarillo, Texas and heard a news story about their baseball team - the sod poodles!  Below is a link on how they arrived at that name for their minor league baseball team:

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/its-official-amarillos-new-minor-league-baseball-team-name-is-the-sod-poodles/

It's quite entertaining.  Why can't Valpo have a fun Mascot name?  Does it have to be so serious?  Anyway,  I hope the process of finding a name will be light hearted and fun.  It's interesting reading about some of the proposed names. 

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on February 24, 2021, 04:46:22 PM
Lastly, I am not sure how the Grand Canyon Education issue came into all of this - but I will reiterate my prior points that GCE is a fraudulent company and a highly ethical institution like Valpo should not be entering into any business agreements with them.

As I'm quite certain you recall, last September Valpo signed a memorandum of understanding with Grand Canyon Education to significantly expand Valpo's nursing program and on-line offerings. GCE has partnered with several well known first rate universities, such as Loyola. They are completely legitimate. Your acquisitions may have had some legitimacy at one time but they no longer apply. Don't take my word for it, research it for yourself. Ask yourself - what is the likelihood I know something Valpo's administration doesn't. But if you're that convinced that this organization is a sham, you owe it to your alma mater to let them know before they get taken for a ride.

In any event, one of the primary purposes of this partnership (if it even happens) is to tap into the millions of dollars spent on tuition at local universities in NWI every year. Why should IU and Purdue hog it all. I think it has real potential. Traditional 4 year universities are struggling. Valpo is trying to think out-of-the-box, and I admire your administration for doing due diligence on it.

In any event, it's completely relevant to the mascot discussion. If Valpo pulls the trigger on this partnership, no doubt there will be a major rebrand and marketing plan to support it. At that point, everything would be on the table, including something seemingly as trivial as a mascot name. Again, I think you know how the two things correlate. You just don't like it. True?

may know

Interesting note in the article about the early 2000s pitch to change to the 49ers color scheme.

Of the suggestions, I'd write off DuneHawks right off the bat. I'd like VU to steer away from the trap schools like SEMO and Miami fell into using Hawks and putting an adjective in front of it. "____ Hawks" is a generic name at this point. Ditto anything Knights.

Kernels is unique and symbolic of local culture. No complaints here if that's the pick.

valpotx

Valparaiso Deer Ticks?  Can't be any worse than Banana Slugs.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

Quote from: wh on February 24, 2021, 05:38:55 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on February 24, 2021, 04:46:22 PM

As I'm quite certain you recall, last September Valpo signed a memorandum of understanding with Grand Canyon Education to significantly expand Valpo's nursing program and on-line offerings. GCE has partnered with several well known first rate universities, such as Loyola. They are completely legitimate. Your acquisitions may have had some legitimacy at one time but they no longer apply. Don't take my word for it, research it for yourself. Ask yourself - what is the likelihood I know something Valpo's administration doesn't. But if you're that convinced that this organization is a sham, you owe it to your alma mater to let them know before they get taken for a ride.

In any event, one of the primary purposes of this partnership (if it even happens) is to tap into the millions of dollars spent on tuition at local universities in NWI every year. Why should IU and Purdue hog it all. I think it has real potential. Traditional 4 year universities are struggling. Valpo is trying to think out-of-the-box, and I admire your administration for doing due diligence on it.

In any event, it's completely relevant to the mascot discussion. If Valpo pulls the trigger on this partnership, no doubt there will be a major rebrand and marketing plan to support it. At that point, everything would be on the table, including something seemingly as trivial as a mascot name. Again, I think you know how the two things correlate. You just don't like it. True?

When Grand Canyon split into GCE (for-profit) and GCU (attempted non-profit), they required that GCU purchase a large volume of services at whatever price GCE wanted to charge for many years. Yet, it is even worse - the CEO of GCE is the President of GCU. And that happened within the last five years and all of the same senior executives are still in place. Thus, GCE is corrupt at its core (and this is just one example). My accusations are highly legitimate today.

Have I sent my concerns about GCE to the senior administration at Valparaiso after the MOU? Absolutely. Furthermore, I know that various faculty groups at Valpo have done the same thing.

Should Valpo pursue a revised strategy in NWI and could online education play a big part of that? It is definitely worth seriously considering, though there are some big challenges with reconciling such a plan with how traditional students are served and the tuition they play. And doing so likely requires partnering with a third party, since they have needed skills and infrastructure. Companies like Everspring and Noodle are potentially good options.

You said GCE has a list of some impressive universities that it is working with. I know firsthand that one of them is seriously backing away from working with them and, instead, is working with another vendor.

I am not sure that I see such a strong connection between the mascot and offering a revised product in NWI, but I do feel that any press (positive or negative) about Valpo will affect attracting students to traditional and (newer) non-traditional programs.

VALPO LI

The Golden Knights just makes to much sense.  You keep the shield and just add golden knights to the existing logo.  But how does the name and its meaning jell with all those who made the Crusader disappear?  Some may argue that the Knight has close similarities in attire, armor and appearance to the Crusader.  As stated in earlier posts they practically look alike.
The Kernel is unique and can be fun as a mascot rallying up the fans.  I could see a popcorn mascot being a hit at sporting events.  It's not intimidating but rather entertaining in my opinion for all ages which is inviting to see as fans.  Give the Kernel a fun name like "Kernel Saltie" and run with it.  But some may say is Kernel Saltie an official face we want to represent the University?
The shield logo is here to stay, but calling the university Valpo Shields just does not seem to flow.
Most can agree that the university needs to find a name that unifies all.  A bold statement and name that can represent Valpo without any negative impact.  A statement that can reflect unity and support without using overused terms like "We are Valpo" or "The Valparaiso University".  To me a united Valparaiso University works.  So my vote would be Valpo United! Keep the shield in place along with Valparaiso's own "Kernel Saltie" at games, charity events, and hospital visits bringing laughter and joy to others along with a strong message saying Valpo is United!

Shine on Vu

vu84v2

Not a big fan of the Kernels...it is just too odd. But I kind of like Valparaiso United (but prefer Golden Knights).

VALPO LI

Odd or unique lol.
A lot of universities have mascots that are unique like Sycamore Sam, Brutus Buckeye, Sebastian the Ibis.  Why not have the best of both worlds.  A strong meaning and statement that tells all that we are a United University and a place where fans can get entertained and have a laugh.  A kernel of popcorn is clever, unique and not frightening.  I could see "Kernel Saltie" riding a tricycle during timeouts doing donuts around the center court shield  ;)
Shine on Vu

valpotx

Quote from: VALPO LI on February 24, 2021, 10:20:54 PM
Odd or unique lol.
A lot of universities have mascots that are unique like Sycamore Sam, Brutus Buckeye, Sebastian the Ibis.  Why not have the best of both worlds.  A strong meaning and statement that tells all that we are a United University and a place where fans can get entertained and have a laugh.  A kernel of popcorn is clever, unique and not frightening.  I could see "Kernel Saltie" riding a tricycle during timeouts doing donuts around the center court shield  ;)

I think that you need to admit that you already have a 'Kernel Saltie' action figure or plushy in your home, and you are trying to make it stick with Valpo ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VALPO LI

You know me to well my Texan friend lol.  I also have a Valpo Glocken sitting on my desk but I'm not ready to push Valpo to be a German Bell just yet.
Btw for those that missed it Salties are ships that travel the great lakes to the ocean.  Salties and Lakers are designed to fit through the locks of the St. Lawrence.  These ships come and unload and reload cargo at Port of Indiana - Burns Harbor.

Shine on Vu

VALPO LI

Quote from: valpotx on February 24, 2021, 11:20:45 PM
Odd or unique lol.

I think that you need to admit that you already have a 'Kernel Saltie' action figure or plushy in your home, and you are trying to make it stick with Valpo ;)

I think you just made my point one that sfnmman made earlier why can't we have fun with a mascot.   Sports are for competition and entertainment purposes. A plushy figure sitting in kids dorm rooms or on our little ones toy chest may not be a bad idea.  Let's have fun with this.  The seriousness can stay in the classroom.  The message can be on the logo "Valpo United" and the laughs can be along the court or sidelines.
Shine on Vu

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

JD24

Redenbachers?

Mascot would be obvious...or maybe not.

Make sure a thorough minute by minute review of this guy's history before any change is made.

vu84v2

Quote from: VALPO LI on February 25, 2021, 05:38:58 AM
Quote from: valpotx on February 24, 2021, 11:20:45 PM
Odd or unique lol.

I think you just made my point one that sfnmman made earlier why can't we have fun with a mascot.   Sports are for competition and entertainment purposes. A plushy figure sitting in kids dorm rooms or on our little ones toy chest may not be a bad idea.  Let's have fun with this.  The seriousness can stay in the classroom.  The message can be on the logo "Valpo United" and the laughs can be along the court or sidelines.

Still not sure that I agree, but you are doing a great job of selling your idea and showing why it may have merit.