• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2021 Football Spring Season

Started by valpofb16, February 11, 2021, 09:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Quote from: valpofb16 on April 08, 2021, 03:15:01 PM
I think if Robert has serious aspirations of the NFL returning is his best option

1) It will show he can stay committed to something more than 12 months
2) He will be running behind 5 returning offensive linemen
3) He will get North Dakota State and Dartmouth next year to show if he is above average PFL good, or above average FCS good

Still of the guys who have had realistic chances (Wood,Barkley,Kuramata,Guilford,Norberg,Nunes) only Wood has gotten the call to come to mini camp as a punter for the Bears.  That being said it is extremely hard no matter what type of athlete you are to make it. Hoffman and Newman played indoor arena, Nunes played  in the Spring League, Jay Slone in China, Sam Manternach in London.

Hope Washington comes back and leaves his mark at Valpo and gets the degree. If he has a promise to make money for football, then go for it. If not get that piece of paper and start making cash

David Macchi played in Belgium, correct?  We also had a QB play many years of Arena League, but I forget his name, as he was before my time.

Edit:  Never mind, Macchi was Italy - https://www.valpoathletics.com/athletics/hofmembers/2009-10/3897/david-macchi/
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo95

Quote from: valpotx on April 08, 2021, 05:01:28 PM

David Macchi played in Belgium, correct?  We also had a QB play many years of Arena League, but I forget his name, as he was before my time.

Edit:  Never mind, Macchi was Italy - https://www.valpoathletics.com/athletics/hofmembers/2009-10/3897/david-macchi/

Perhaps you are thinking of Nick Browder? http://www.valpoathletics.com/athletics/hofmembers/2003-04/2828/nick-browder/

valpotx

Yep, that is him.  I remember hearing about him in the AFL, while I was in school.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Football in Germany may be an option. I have been watching the "journey" on YouTube of Nick Alfieri who played football at Georgetown and is currently playing professional football in Germany for the Schwabisch Hall Unicorns. This is pretty serious football and the Schwabisch Hall Unicorns have been pretty dominant in European Football for the last few years. Nick also went to USC film school and is working on a documentary on the Unicorns program and American football in Europe for the past year, and it's almost finished.  I really have found this to be interesting Nick Alfieri German Football League Highlights. This small town in Germany has gone pretty nuts for this team, just look at the crowds, obviously pre-COVID.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpofb16

Sit Duncan. It's time.

Coaches agreed. If that is it for the Duncan era he ends up being about 30 games under .500

Not all his fault 2 OCs thrust into action, his legs helped us. His decision making and ability to throw deep never improved from 2018.

By all accounts was a great leader and teammate, will serve him well later in life. Hopefully between Nimz, Kaplan, Appel, or Lawson can become an average to above average PFL QB

valpotx

I very much respect Duncan for coming back this season.  He has great decision-making ability overall, but has trouble with executing passes, which has killed us at times over the years. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofb16

Presbyterian looking like they will beat Davidson.

PFL championship and Playoffs in reach if we can pull off a comeback

valpotx

Key interception for the Blue Hose, to seal the win against Davidson!  I look forward to playing against Presbyterian, as I played college Summer ball with a few guys on Presby's baseball team, back when they were D-2.  I hope to get bragging rights over them :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on April 10, 2021, 12:33:31 PMPresbyterian looking like they will beat Davidson. PFL championship and Playoffs in reach if we can pull off a comeback
I don't believe Presbyterian's games count in the league schedule this season. So it won't be a league loss for Davidson.

JD24

Humongous fumble by Larose looks like it may cost Valpo.

valpotx

Quote from: JD24 on April 10, 2021, 01:36:57 PM
Quote from: valpofb16 on April 10, 2021, 12:33:31 PMPresbyterian looking like they will beat Davidson. PFL championship and Playoffs in reach if we can pull off a comeback
I don't believe Presbyterian's games count in the league schedule this season. So it won't be a league loss for Davidson.

Presby's conference games count, they are just not eligible for the championship.  Unfortunate loss for us, as that game was there for the taking.  Our QB play is rough.
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Quote from: valpotx on April 10, 2021, 02:20:19 PM
Quote from: JD24 on April 10, 2021, 01:36:57 PM
Presby's conference games count, they are just not eligible for the championship.  Unfortunate loss for us, as that game was there for the taking.  Our QB play is rough.
Yeah. Looks like that is correct.

The QB play hasn't been good but the passing game has, and has for two years, looked very disorganized to me. There is never a snap, step back, plant, throw and catch.

valpofb16

Agreed JD think that is a combo of things. Looked like that for Duncan between two sets of OCs , QB coaches, and WR coaches.

It did not look much better for Nimz although he made some throws we haven't seen in a while.

A change of OC could be in cards but that could mean new OL, RB, WR coaches. Colder/Gladney to recruit very well. Bustle had the young OL competing. Might be worth keeping together. Need to find a QB somewhere. Maybe transfer market?

vu72

I think the program is CLEARLY on the right path and if we beat San Diego next week I would expect Coach Fox to start getting interest from other schools.  The team just shows toughness and determination and without the fumble in the end zone we win this game.  Nimz is clearly a better option because of his ability to throw.  I'm guessing the kid coming in as a freshman next year may be "the guy" going forward.  And that Washington kid is pretty good!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofb16

Hard to say Kaplan will be the guy, yes he came from Norcross but Appel is quite a fine prospect himself.

I'm not out on Nimz and Lawson both came from very successful programs and showed flashes.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on April 10, 2021, 03:37:21 PMAgreed JD think that is a combo of things. Looked like that for Duncan between two sets of OCs , QB coaches, and WR coaches. It did not look much better for Nimz although he made some throws we haven't seen in a while. A change of OC could be in cards but that could mean new OL, RB, WR coaches. Colder/Gladney to recruit very well. Bustle had the young OL competing. Might be worth keeping together. Need to find a QB somewhere. Maybe transfer market?
While the running game has been better, I'm wondering how much that has to do with the line as no other back seems to ever do anything given the opportunity. This leads me to think it's all Washington.

I'm not trying to over sourpuss the program and the defense in particular is a different animal than we are used to seeing. I'm not a fan of what I see on offense which looks disorganized even when something good happens.

valpotx

Great defensive battle, and we are right in it!  Hopefully we can get Washington some more holes in the second half, and take this one!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Davidson's game with Stetson was canceled, so they get the automatic bid, but if we win this game, we get to be co-champs with Davidson, San Diego, and pending the result for Morehead State.  This is due to the agreement made before the season, that if uneven games are played, any team within 1 league game of the leader, would be considered tied, if the leader is the one with uneven games.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Awesome.  First victory against San Diego since my last year on campus.  They keep saying second place tie, but shouldn't it be co-champs, since Davidson didn't play the same amount of games?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofb16

Excellent win.... knee jerk reactions

1. This is best coached Valpo team I have seen since my beginning with program 2011. Defense flies to the ball , and they have a next play mentality.

2. Offensively , outside of Washington this year and Butler, we were very dysfunctional, we played well enough to win 4 times. Of the 11 starters 9 are scheduled to be back

2021 recap, our defense became a top of the ladder defense in the pfl. Peifer, Annis, Psota, Sherman, Hutcherson all return in the fall. Outlook looks great

Offense we saw freshman Robinson, Lawson, Woody, Orr, Maxwell, Woody all played roles, sophomores Conlin Monahan Bingham Parrish Files were all in mix. We were very young.

Here's to a second winning season since 03, 2/4 years, program has taken a major step out of gutter. I hope local talent and transfers begin recognizing this

78crusader

If Coach Fox is not PFL Coach of the Year then there is no such award.

Paul

JD24

Fabulous win and showed how football games can be won in many fashions. Fabulous defense and special teams but I'd like the offense to show more coherency more often.

valpotx

When was the last time that we had negative rushing yards (stat guys/gals)?  Why do sacks count against the QB's rushing yards in the college game, but not in the NFL?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Really pgmado, another Wisconsin reference in the press conference?  At least you didn't bring up the Packers.  Always remember the great duo of John Elway/Terrell Davis, and 31-24 :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofb16

If we were to look into a new OC (which I hope not, more continuity the better, Fox d will keep us competitive)

Some really fun names to watch

Quinn Schafer - Uindy OC Valpo QB 09-12
Keith Larson - Bucknell WR Valpo DB 10-13
Fred Gladney- WR Coach Valpo WR
10-14

Hopefully Brandon gets the list of seniors leaving/coming back soon. Great year!