• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Loyola and Drake NCAA Tourney

Started by valpo84, March 18, 2021, 07:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Credit to Oregon State's defense but this is the worst I think I have ever seen Loyola-Chicago play. They look terrible. I don't know if it's them believing their own hype or all the rumors of Porter leaving left them unprepared or they have one foot in the A-10 already or what but they need to pull their heads out and start playing like they want to win here or they're going to be going home.

usc4valpo

O State's zone defense is impressive for sure.

valpotx

It isn't their defense.  They just played 1-3-1 and 2-3 zone all day, and begged Loyola to beat them on the perimeter, and Loyola just missed all of their many open 3's.  Good defensive scheming, but it was simply Loyola missing wide open shots.  Clemons was so off, he reminded me of Sackey shooting 3's.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Oregon State was the better team by far today. They more than earned this win. If that's the last memory of Loyola in the MVC it's not a good one. I hope they don't leave but they played like a team with one foot out the door being bogged down by too many rumors. This reminded me a lot of Valpo's performance in the NIT Final when the rumors of Bryce's departure were swirling...

justducky

Good defense but poor shooting is just as contagious as good shooting. Much of the tournament field would have beaten the Ramblers today. Most of the Valley opponents would have hung with them also. We almost beat them on a shooting day similar to this.

usc4valpo

Down game for Loyola but give Oregon State credit for keeping composed.

valpotx

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 27, 2021, 03:55:14 PM
Oregon State was the better team by far today. They more than earned this win. If that's the last memory of Loyola in the MVC it's not a good one. I hope they don't leave but they played like a team with one foot out the door being bogged down by too many rumors. This reminded me a lot of Valpo's performance in the NIT Final when the rumors of Bryce's departure were swirling...

I still highly doubt that Loyola would leave for the A-10.  It isn't that much of an upgrade as it would have been a few years back, when Butler made the switch.  However, I guarantee you that the players would have no idea of any rumors on that side, and if they did, it would not affect their play at all.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

The win by Drake in the First Four and the Sweet 16 run for Loyola is still very nice for the conference and should help a lot with our shortfall. Sucks we couldn't get a final 4 share but what can you do? Now it's time for us to start building to start earning shares for this conference. Hopefully we can keep a team together long enough to do it.

JD24

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 27, 2021, 03:55:14 PMOregon State was the better team by far today. They more than earned this win. If that's the last memory of Loyola in the MVC it's not a good one. I hope they don't leave but they played like a team with one foot out the door being bogged down by too many rumors. This reminded me a lot of Valpo's performance in the NIT Final when the rumors of Bryce's departure were swirling...
Do you ever post in a non sky is falling manner no matter the subject?

usc4valpo

I Presume the MVC will avoid scheduling conference of champion opponents in the future after this.

justducky

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 27, 2021, 04:08:20 PM
I Presume the MVC will avoid scheduling conference of champion opponents in the future after this.

Big Ten only!

usc4valpo

True, they can beat Big Ten opponents.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: JD24 on March 27, 2021, 04:04:50 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 27, 2021, 03:55:14 PMOregon State was the better team by far today. They more than earned this win. If that's the last memory of Loyola in the MVC it's not a good one. I hope they don't leave but they played like a team with one foot out the door being bogged down by too many rumors. This reminded me a lot of Valpo's performance in the NIT Final when the rumors of Bryce's departure were swirling...

The rumors are what they are dude... I don't know why you're always on my back when what I'm saying isn't that far out of what is or could be the reality... People on the Saluki board have heard it it's been mentioned by Happening Hoops I believe. There might well be smoke here and that would not be good for the MVC at all and there's no way to spin that positively. As for Valpo's issues, I don't know what to say. You can go on believing that 5+ transfers twice in three years is normal and I'm loony for worrying about it or about the direction Lottich is taking the program if that helps you cope with it but there's nothing good about Valpo's program right now and nothing good about Loyola potentially leaving. Call that "sky is falling" if you wish but it's certainly not worthy of optimism.

Quote from: valpotx on March 27, 2021, 04:00:28 PM
I still highly doubt that Loyola would leave for the A-10.  It isn't that much of an upgrade as it would have been a few years back, when Butler made the switch.  However, I guarantee you that the players would have no idea of any rumors on that side, and if they did, it would not affect their play at all.

I totally disagree. The A-10 has a weaker bottom than the MVC but their top is much much stronger and deeper. Just look at the NET ratings:

NET A-10:

St Bonaventure 23

VCU 37

SLU 43

Davidson 58

Richmond 68

Dayton 80

Rhode Island 108

UMass 113

George Mason 130

Duquesne 131

LaSalle 203

St Joseph's 221

George Washington 258

Fordham 320

Avg NET 128.1

MVC

Loyola 10

Drake 45

Missouri State 97

Indiana State 120

Bradley 174

UNI 194

SIU 214

Valpo 229

Evansville 233

Illinois State 242

Avg NET 155.8

The depth of the A-10 provides a lot more Q1 and Q2 opportunities for Loyola add in the institutional fit and the markets that Loyola would then have access to and the move makes a lot of sense even with the travel costs. It's not like Loyola is any kind of a power in baseball or volleyball or women's basketball so the MVC's success in those sports doesn't really matter when considering this move. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't do it I'm just saying it's a very logical step. Adding strength to the MVC might entice them to stay but it might be too late.

JD24

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 27, 2021, 04:25:06 PM
Quote from: JD24 on March 27, 2021, 04:04:50 PM
The rumors are what they are dude... I don't know why you're always on my back when what I'm saying isn't that far out of what is or could be the reality... People on the Saluki board have heard it it's been mentioned by Happening Hoops I believe. There might well be smoke here and that would not be good for the MVC at all and there's no way to spin that positively. As for Valpo's issues, I don't know what to say. You can go on believing that 5+ transfers twice in three years is normal and I'm loony for worrying about it or about the direction Lottich is taking the program if that helps you cope with it but there's nothing good about Valpo's program right now and nothing good about Loyola potentially leaving. Call that "sky is falling" if you wish but it's certainly not worthy of optimism
Missing yet supporting my point.

Just Sayin

Your "point" was an ad hominem, not an argument.

valpotx

That's only a NET difference of 27, and you add in a crap ton more travel costs, in the new post-COVID area.  Highly doubt it will happen
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Not a huge difference between the. a10 and the MVC. Not if Moser leaves, that will be interesting.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on March 27, 2021, 05:07:12 PMThat's only a NET difference of 27, and you add in a crap ton more travel costs, in the new post-COVID area.  Highly doubt it will happen

Let me show you this in a different way then: Quadrants:

Loyola (Q1 home and away)

Drake (Q1 away Q2 home)

Missouri State (Q2 away Q3 home)

Indiana State (Q2 away Q3 home)

Bradley Q4 home Q3 away

UNI Q4 home Q3 away

SIU Q4 home Q3 away

Valpo  Q4 home Q3 away

Evansville  Q4 home Q3 away

Illinois State Q4 home and away

A-10:
St Bonaventure Q1 home and away
VCU Q2 home Q1 away
SLU Q2 home Q1 away
Davidson Q2 home Q1 away
Richmond Q2 home Q1 away
Dayton Q3 home Q2 away
Rhode Island Q3 home Q2 away
UMass Q3 home Q2 away
George Mason Q3 home Q2 away
Duquesne Q3 home Q2 away
LaSalle Q4 home Q3 away
St Joseph's Q4 home Q3 away
GW Q4 home and away
Fordham Q4 home and away

That means that the A-10 could provide upwards of 15 Q1 or Q2 opportunities for Loyola whereas the MVC can only provide 4 such opportunities (since Loyola obviously can't play against itself). I love the MVC but to be fair the only reason we weren't a one bid league this year was because of the COVID scheduling which gave Drake two extra Q2 opportunities they otherwise would not have had (which they fortunately cashed in on). Take those away and it's very possible even probable that they lose the battle for an at large spot to a Louisville or a Colorado State or a SLU. I hate to say we got lucky getting multiple bids but we kinda did. Moving to the A-10 represents a huge bump up in potential SOS for them. Not to mention the potential for elevated OOC scheduling. Again I'm not saying they will because travel costs are definitely a thing but there is a compelling argument for them to make the jump both on and off the court. Remember the arguments for SLU joining the Valley to save on travel? Well for the same reasons why they won't Loyola could very well consider making the jump.

usc4valpo

1314, relax dude. I just don't see it happening.

IrishDawg

Loyola picked an awful time to play one of its worst offensive games of the year.  Oh well, Beaver Fever rolls on.

The benefit of moving to the A-10 is nominal at best. The A-10 might be willing to add them, but outside of a potential fractional increase in tourney shares, which would be more than wiped out in travel costs, forget by the men's basketball team, there's women's basketball, volleyball, softball, soccer that all have increased travel costs. Unless the school is cool just eating those costs, they aren't moving anywhere.

Moser leaving should be the concern here.  No idea if he will, but there's at least a real chance that could happen.

Just Sayin

Moser to Indiana. Takes Williamson and Krutwig with him. Hehe

VUGrad1314

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 27, 2021, 08:33:14 PMMoser to Indiana. Takes Williamson and Kruwig with him. Hehe

That's not real is it? Also I thought Williamson and Krutwig would only be allowed to play for Loyola am I wrong?

may know

There has been no single credible A10 rumor. A drunken admin on Saluki Insider (who also says Barry Hinson is running for OK Governor) and a kid running Happening Hoops are not credible sources.

usc4valpo

You have to wonder if Oregon State can handle Houston and their athleticism and tremendous defense.  I have a good felling they will meet their Waterloo.