• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Valpo Team Name Ideas

Started by jackvitashow, May 25, 2021, 03:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairback

Screw having a nickname.  Just go by Valpo.

Use Valparaiso and Valpo.  Keep the shield. 

Has anyone who has ever lived in valpo said "look a Dunehawk".

Fools in charge. 

justducky

None of the above!

Quote from: Chairback on June 10, 2021, 08:28:14 PMScrew having a nickname.  Just go by Valpo.

Use Valparaiso and Valpo.  Keep the shield. 

:thumbsup:   Having no answer is sometimes better than having a bad answer.

Quote from: Chairback on June 10, 2021, 08:28:14 PMHas anyone who has ever lived in valpo said "look a Dunehawk".

A Dunehawk seems to be a nothing other than a Nissan Corp advertising concept. So no and if they pick anything else on that list I will be tempted to send the committee a picture of my naked behind.

cmack

Seems like we should have a poll here to appropriately inform the committee of the best choice.  Anyone industrious enough to set that up in a new thread?

valpotx

Seriously, who the F came up with Tempest?  Have they played a sport in their entire life?  Yeah, really intimidating.  I can see putting on the Tempest Baseball jersey/shirt, and really scaring the sh!t out of the opponents.  What in the actual F...

I could eventually rally around the Dune Hawks, as it at least sounds cool, even though people in The Region would wonder what the heck that is.  Sparks and Storm are too feminine-sounding, mainly due to my awareness of the WNBA teams.
"Don't mess with Texas"

JBC1824

I would have liked "Monks." Unique. Nice tie in to Lutheranism and Martin Luther.
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

elephtheria47

Storm has the most potential.

I imagine the lights being turned down low and the sound of rain being played with flashes of lightning. The student section can be given pool noodles and/or pots/pans to replicate thunder.

"At guard, who is faster than lightning, ...

At the other guard, who can make it rain...

At center,  stronger than an F4 tornado..."

Feels a little Harlem Wizards ish !!

And that's all folks. Don't really have too many ideas for the Introductions or student section for the other proposals.

valpolaw

Those new names are a joke.  What a sad state of affairs.

Chairback

The shield symbol is already tied and recognizable to Valpo.  Just keep the symbol and dump the nickname.  Save some considerable cash doing this also.

I agree some of them sound like WNBA names or car brands.

valpopal

Quote from: Chairback on June 11, 2021, 10:16:06 AM
The shield symbol is already tied and recognizable to Valpo.  Just keep the symbol and dump the nickname.  Save some considerable cash doing this also.

Yes. How difficult would it have been to keep the shield as the main logo and change the name from Crusader (which supposedly was the main objection) to something else like Knight or Golden Knight or Paladin or Valor or Valiant or Guardian or Protector or anything else more creative than these but less offensive than Crusader appears to some? Perhaps this would be a compromise that unifies the community rather than divides. The basketball center court could even stay the way it is. Think of all the saved money, especially in these times!

When I served on a similar committee at the university in days after construction on center campus of the library, union, and the arts building, there was a protracted debate about where to construct additional walkways between buildings. After hours of tedious discussion with abstract nonsense, I finally suggested the committee actually go outside to see where students had already trodden down the grass walking across campus and use that guideline as a plan to build the walkways on those paths. Sometimes the simpler, practical, and minimalist solution is the best, even when academics are involved. 

vufan75

Quote from: hailcrusaders on June 10, 2021, 11:17:26 AM
Apologies if this has been posted in another thread but according to a survey that was just emailed out, the finalists appear to be:

Storm
Beacons
Gold
Sparks
Lightning
Tempest
Dunehawks
Lightning Hawks

Personally not a huge fan of any of them (why wasn't Knights an option? Seemed too logical). But the last two "hawk" nicknames sound like minor league baseball teams. Like we've tried too hard to be unique. And what is a "lightning hawk" anyway? I guess I'd reluctantly prefer one of the first six.
Another survey I did not receive. I'm sure others did not receive either. Wonder who decides who receives these surveys (or does not)? I know the university has my email on file.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

vufan75

Thank you for the survey link IndyValpo.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

valpo64

A TOTAL EMBARRASSMENT FOR THE UNIVERSITY.  Who in the world picked the people on this so called committee?  TIME TO START OVER!!!

bbtds

wh

Quote from: Chairback on June 11, 2021, 10:16:06 AM

I agree some of them sound like WNBA names or car brands.

It still boggles the mind that the (interim) leader of this university supported this boondoggle during a financial calamity. Just call it children's hour at Valpo U.  BTW, with rare exception women are terrible business leaders - way too emotional and insecure.

A boondoggle is a project that is considered a waste of both time and money, yet is often continued due to extraneous policy or political motivations. Wikipedia

VALPO LI

Valpo's Nickname/Mascot will either relate to a color, a light, some sort of inclement weather or a bird. 

Valparaiso Gold I would hope Valpo does not follow the Ivy's with the easy way out from this situation.
Valparaiso Beacons a symbol of light and guidance.  Not sure how they would portray this name as a mascot.
Valparaiso Sparks plays off of light but reminds me of a spark plug on my old pick up truck sitting idly in the garage.  Perhaps a character named "Sparky" can get the the crowd motivated at all the sporting events.
The next 4 relate to weather somehow.
Valparaiso Storm Plays off of a professional WNBA team so not to original.  As said earlier St. John's are the Red Storm.
Valparaiso Tempest I will not lie this one I had to Google!  "A Shakespearean play about forgiveness and repentance". Quite fitting for the situation the University is in.  "A violent windstorm that causes great disturbance or uproar" :o. To me it's just an alternative to Storm.  Is tempest a popular phrase in Northwest Indiana?
Valparaiso Lighting A name that is used by a professional hockey team in the Sunshine State. Can be shortened to the Golden Bolts or Bolts IDK. (I keep adding Golden to names because Gold by itself doesn't work for me)
Valparaiso Lightning Hawks is a gun in a video game? Why combine weather with a bird?  IDK.
Valparaiso Dunehawks a fictional name that relates to a bird. I can see the University going with this name for it has some history with the University.  The colors can work, a brown hawk at the golden dunes. 
8 choices with little variety.
1 is a color.
2 relate to light.
2 relate to a hawk.(why 2 hawk)?
4 relate to fierce weather.
(1 combined weather with a bird)
Why 4 dismal inclement destructive types of weather as a mascot?
Where is the variety...
"the quality or state of being different or diverse; the absence of uniformity, sameness, or monotony".
:whiteflag:

Shine on Vu

Valpo Joe

Give me a f**king break  :o The suggested list just sucks >:( Why not the Valpo Pansies  :lol:

NativeCheesehead

Women are too emotional to be leaders? Seriously? Is that really where this is going? I disagree vehemently with the decision to change the mascot but this thread has gone insane. You all claim to love Valpo but clearly hate everything to do with the school now. So move on. Go donate to Liberty if they align with your values.

My guess is that every single one of you that has spent more than five minutes bitching and moaning about the identity of someone in a costume at a basketball game has probably called someone an overly sensitive snowflake at some point in the past 48 hours.

Hell, call us the Valpo Snowflakes if it wins us our first NCAA game in almost a quarter ventury.

JBC1824

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on June 11, 2021, 08:09:35 PM
Women are too emotional to be leaders? Seriously? Is that really where this is going? I disagree vehemently with the decision to change the mascot but this thread has gone insane. You all claim to love Valpo but clearly hate everything to do with the school now. So move on. Go donate to Liberty if they align with your values.

My guess is that every single one of you that has spent more than five minutes bitching and moaning about the identity of someone in a costume at a basketball game has probably called someone an overly sensitive snowflake at some point in the past 48 hours.

Hell, call us the Valpo Snowflakes if it wins us our first NCAA game in almost a quarter ventury.

Posters are not bitching about the identity of the person inside the costume....

They are bitching about the costume.

Imprecise language.
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

vu84v2

BTW, with rare exception women are terrible business leaders - way too emotional and insecure.

[/quote]

Virtually all (if not all) empirical research on female executives and managers does not support this ignorant statement. There is no significant difference in organizational performance based on whether the organization is lead by a man or a woman.

covufan

Commy McCommitteeFace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mj

Quote from: wh on June 11, 2021, 06:27:23 PMIt still boggles the mind that the (interim) leader of this university supported this boondoggle during a financial calamity.

Because it was presented to her by the SBP as the most urgent thing ever and she decided to jump into it without thinking. Having the SBP appear in that announcement video was the interim Presidents way to deflect blame.

The goal was to sandbag President Padilla with this so they pulled the pin and tossed the grenade into his lap. And they reached out to the national media so the story would be picked up and Padilla would have a more difficult time walking it back.

Valpo should just disband the committee and say we can't afford a change at this time. And let the controversy die down.
I believe that we will win.

valpotx

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on June 11, 2021, 08:09:35 PM

Your guess is incorrect.  I haven't called someone a snowflake for at least a few years :).

Fyi, when you click the survey, it says that it is open UNTIL 6/15, not starting on 6/15.
"Don't mess with Texas"