• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Valpo Team Name Ideas

Started by jackvitashow, May 25, 2021, 03:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpo2010

I can get on board with Beacon.  Its not great, but could definitely have been worse. 

What I can't get on board with is the logo.  Looks like a failed project from an Intro to Graphic Design class.

VU2014

A very interesting take from Chris Sparks who is a former basketball player and former Valpo Basketball assistant coach. He's still plugged into college basketball and does a lot of broadcasting.

He thinks the switch from Crusaders to Beacons will hurt Valpo in recruiting.

https://twitter.com/coachsparks5/status/1425145958069850112?s=21

mj

Quote from: VU2014 on August 10, 2021, 12:33:08 PMHe thinks the switch from Beacons to Crusader will hurt Valpo in recruiting

I think winning will help overcome that issue. Also, we need the ARC to be packed and raucous as it was about 10 years ago.
I believe that we will win.

valpo95

Quote from: jtm on August 10, 2021, 12:11:23 PM
The name is fine - Go Beamin' Beacons!

Anyways, the logo makes me sad.

Won't that be confusing if we play Wake Forest?

swiftmutiny

I don't hate the name, but I do hate the logo. A colleague of mine, who is a graphic designer at another university in Indiana, gave a concise opinion about it that I tend to agree with: "This doesn't seem like an athletics team logo. It gives me a summer camp vibe."

valpo95

I'm not especially concerned with the logo. I think we can expect to see the Valpo Shield used just about everywhere, and a variety of lighthouse logos used in the background.

jtm

Quote from: valpo95 on August 10, 2021, 01:24:22 PM
Quote from: jtm on August 10, 2021, 12:11:23 PM
The name is fine - Go Beamin' Beacons!

Anyways, the logo makes me sad.

Won't that be confusing if we play Wake Forest?

That's the joke.

valpopal

Quote from: swiftmutiny on August 10, 2021, 01:27:41 PM
I don't hate the name, but I do hate the logo. A colleague of mine, who is a graphic designer at another university in Indiana, gave a concise opinion about it that I tend to agree with: "This doesn't seem like an athletics team logo. It gives me a summer camp vibe."
As I noted previously, the logo is horrible. From a visual artist's standpoint, there are a number of technical problems, and it appears at best to be merely a first draft that was drawn on the back of a cocktail napkin. I don't understand why the logo couldn't remain the flame embedded in a "V" that seems very popular. The dictionary definition for "beacon": "a fire or light set up in a high or prominent position as a warning, signal, or celebration." This would fit the flame logo we already have and that coincides with a real identifiable part of campus rather than the fictional lighthouse beacon.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on August 10, 2021, 12:33:08 PM
A very interesting take from Chris Sparks who is a former basketball player and former Valpo Basketball assistant coach. He's still plugged into college basketball and does a lot of broadcasting.

He thinks the switch from Beacons to Crusader will hurt Valpo in recruiting.

Im sure you meant the other way around.  He is obviously wrong when he says "its hard enough to recruit to Valpo".  All we have is three Mr. Basketball on the roster.  He is also wrong about nobody from athletics being involved in the decision as both Mark LaBarbara and Eron Gordon were on the Committee.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

Quote from: VU2014 on August 10, 2021, 12:33:08 PM

He thinks the switch from Beacons to Crusader will hurt Valpo in recruiting.

I respect Sparks but this may be the dumbest post in the history of Twitter. Perhaps an overstatement but still dumb.

FWalum

I like the name and how it works with the school mission and Lutheran heritage. However, it is going to take sometime for me to get use to it as a sports reference/nickname, it just sounds very clumsy. Not really a fan of Beacon for change, that is not part of the university mission in my opinion, it should be more of a Beacon of truth. I also think they could have come up with much better artwork that included the flame.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

JBC1824

I'm concerned that at some point in the not too distant future, the nickname "Beacons" will have to be changed, as well, because of some finding it offensive.

Associating light in juxtaposition to darkness generally with all that is good? Even today, many would argue this has racist connotations.

Publications as highly trafficked as The Huffington Post have recently featured articles condemning these types of associations as racist.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/common-words-phrases-racist-origins-connotations_l_5efcfb63c5b6ca9709188c83

https://www.teachingtraveling.com/metaphor-darkness-as-bad/

Really a poor choice by the decision-makers if their intent was for the new nickname/mascot to be considered inoffensive and inclusive in perpetuity.

After all, the university's blatant association of light with "good" and dark with "bad" serves to reinforce peoples' racist and implicit biases. There's actually a good bit of science to back up the idea. 

https://theconversation.com/how-did-white-become-a-metaphor-for-all-things-good-140674

Beacons "guide us through the darkness," as the rollout video says? That's not going to work for very much longer, folks.

The groundwork has already been laid. Just give it a little more time.
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

JBC1824

Quote from: FWalum on August 10, 2021, 02:31:19 PM
I like the name and how it works with the school mission and Lutheran heritage. However, it is going to take sometime for me to get use to it as a sports reference/nickname, it just sounds very clumsy. Not really a fan of Beacon for change, that is not part of the university mission in my opinion, it should be more of a Beacon of truth. I also think they could have come up with much better artwork that included the flame.

The "Beacon of truth" idea would have been solid.
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

valpopal

[tweet]1425149414277099523[/tweet]
Seriously, this is awful. Can you really imagine this on fan apparel or uniforms? Keep the name "Beacons" if you want, but ditch the logo quickly. Keep the shield logo with the flame embedded in a "V" that everyone seems to like. This isn't difficult and would be popular. Did they even test this lighthouse logo against the shield flame logo with a sample audience? The dictionary definition for "beacon": "a fire or light set up in a high or prominent position as a warning, signal, or celebration." The definition fits the flame logo we already have and that coincides with a prominent identifiable structure at the entrance of campus rather than a generic fictional lighthouse. 

crusader05

Yeah it really seems the lighthouse is the weak link in this. Especially since there is a flame embedded in the shield. Couldn't you just figure out a way to like, pull that flame design out. Than you could do a nice combo of beacon and shield coming together. Also a shield and a torch feel intimidating enough if you don't do another mascot.

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpopal on August 10, 2021, 02:51:43 PM
[tweet]1425149414277099523[/tweet]
Seriously, this is awful. Can you really imagine this on fan apparel or uniforms? Keep the name "Beacons" if you want, but ditch the logo quickly. Keep the shield logo with the flame embedded in a "V" that everyone seems to like. This isn't difficult and would be popular. Did they even test this lighthouse logo against the shield flame logo with a sample audience? The dictionary definition for "beacon": "a fire or light set up in a high or prominent position as a warning, signal, or celebration." The definition fits the flame logo we already have and that coincides with a prominent identifiable structure at the entrance of campus rather than a generic fictional lighthouse.

Looks more like the light of surrender.

78crusader

Quote from: JBC1824 on August 10, 2021, 02:38:20 PM
I'm concerned that at some point in the not too distant future, the nickname "Beacons" will have to be changed, as well, because of some finding it offensive.

Associating light in juxtaposition to darkness generally with all that is good? Even today, many would argue this has racist connotations.

Publications as highly trafficked as The Huffington Post have recently featured articles condemning these types of associations as racist.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/common-words-phrases-racist-origins-connotations_l_5efcfb63c5b6ca9709188c83

https://www.teachingtraveling.com/metaphor-darkness-as-bad/

Really a poor choice by the decision-makers if their intent was for the new nickname/mascot to be considered inoffensive and inclusive in perpetuity.

After all, the university's blatant association of light with "good" and dark with "bad" serves to reinforce peoples' racist and implicit biases. There's actually a good bit of science to back up the idea. 

https://theconversation.com/how-did-white-become-a-metaphor-for-all-things-good-140674

Beacons "guide us through the darkness," as the rollout video says? That's not going to work for very much longer, folks.

The groundwork has already been laid. Just give it a little more time.

I John 1:5 God is light and there is no darkness in Him at all.

This woke stuff is beyond ridiculous and is ruining this country - if we continue to let it.

Paul

valpolaw

I wish this whole "Beacon" name change and logo was a joke, but sadly it is not.  It certainly feels and looks like a big joke.  Absolutely terrible and downright embarrassing for the university and alumni.  The leadership at Valpo should be ashamed at what they've done.  I'm sure they also paid greatly to some marketing company for this, which is equally as shocking.  They should demand a refund.   

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on August 10, 2021, 02:51:43 PMDid they even test this lighthouse logo against the shield flame logo with a sample audience? T

The Shield will remain as part of Valpo branding.

This is part of the announcement on the athletics website:

Many of Valpo's marks and logos, including its colors and the "Shield of Character," will remain part of the University's brand.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on August 10, 2021, 05:24:36 PM
Quote from: valpopal on August 10, 2021, 02:51:43 PMDid they even test this lighthouse logo against the shield flame logo with a sample audience? T

The Shield will remain as part of Valpo branding.

This is part of the announcement on the athletics website:

Many of Valpo's marks and logos, including its colors and the "Shield of Character," will remain part of the University's brand.

I know it will remain "part" of the Valpo branding. My point was that it should be used in all cases instead of the terrible lighthouse logo.

vu72

oklahomamick

The positive - I still have a lot of crusader gear

The negative - it doesn't fit anymore....
CRUSADERS!!!

VUSERF

I like the beacons as a nickname. Great way to embody the mission of the university.

I had been worried about the artwork associated with this name in previous posts. They should stick with the shield of character and the torch as images and not introduce another.

If they had done this, this would have been a solid, smooth layup finish (not quite a slam dunk).

Chairback

VUSERF

I keep seeing a chess piece.

Farleigh Dickinson University -esque