• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2021-2022

Started by wh, June 25, 2021, 04:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

EG with another winner! I recognized all of the girls because of their team stability and their roster pictures being posted. The guys were a bit more difficult. Met one named Slim who doesn't talk much so B-Rock fills in the gaps? T-Money? The 4'th Amigo? D-Train? Took an instant liking to Valpo Joe! Who did I miss?

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUBBFan

He's the Daniel Sackey Canadian replacement. Does look like he can put the ball in the basket

FWalum

Husband, Father, Associate Head Men's Basketball Coach at @ValpoU.
Incredible Coach. Incredible Open Minded Man!!!
"EP 32 - Luke Gore, Associate Head Coach at Valparaiso" at  https://t.co/X79xpu0ZDc

VERY interesting podcast. Luke breaks-down working for each one of the Drew's and also Matt. A pretty interesting look at the Valpo program over the last 20 years!

Highly recommended!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

I just have to say I would really love for Valpo Basketball to surprise the Valley this season and be one of the top contending Teams. I'm really tired of other MVC program fans questioning Valpo.

We need to be better than what we've shown the last 4 seasons. The honeymoon is over and we need to elevate our performance as a program, top-down.

This means the teams needs to play better, the University needs to step up and put out a professional logo, & we need our big donors to step up with ARC renovation donations. Our student section needs to step up as well. Across the board we all need to do better. I think it all starts with a surprise run and that needs to happen this season. Energize the fans.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on September 28, 2021, 06:47:25 PMI just have to say I would really love for Valpo Basketball to surprise the Valley this season and be one of the top contending Teams. I'm really tired of other MVC program fans questioning Valpo. We need to be better than what we've shown the last 4 seasons. The honeymoon is over and we need to elevate our performance as a program, top-down. This means the teams needs to play better, the University needs to step up and put out a professional logo, & we need our big donors to step up with ARC renovation donations. Our student section needs to step up as well. Across the board we all need to do better. I think it all starts with a surprise run and that needs to happen this season. Energize the fans.

Well said. Could not agree more.

VU2014

Every successful Team needs that great team chemistry walk-on player, like Luke Morrill.

https://twitter.com/valpo_hoops/status/1443792908981874690?s=21

wh

vu72

I spoke with a person very close to the program who told me Kithier is a bigger version of Cory Johnson.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on October 03, 2021, 03:46:41 PM
I spoke with a person very close to the program who told me Kithier is a bigger version of Cory Johnson.

Cory could score 15-20 (or more) points on any given night. He had a strong low post game with a nice jump hook, was a good 3-pt. shooter (not great), and was an average on-ball low post defender and position rebounder on Valpo teams that would rather out score opponents than out-defend them. I already expect Tom to be a defender given Izzo's reputation as a defensive taskmaster. If he's anywhere close to Cory offensively and he can do it with consistency, we could have scoring options all over the court. What we don't need is a Mileek type scorer who would go 2-12 from 3 over 3 games, followed by 1 game 4-6.

usc4valpo

A wise choice and overdue

Chairback

And there are only two restrooms in the ARC I believe for fans to use.

We are going to need more then booze to get people to Valpo to see a game.

vok22

Refreshing to hear in that article that this is one of many new efforts at getting more people to the ARC. Article also said they are going to be using new local sponsorships, in game activities, etc to try to get new families and young people to the games. While this should have always be a focus, glad to hear they are actually making an attempt now. I also saw that earlier this year a current valpo student that I believe is an intern of some sort with the athletics department sent out a survey to students about what they would like to see happen at games to get them to go. Based on the football and volleyball student attendance, it seems like we might have some fun student sections this year. That, paired with concerted efforts from the athletic department to get the general public to come, might combine for some good atmospheres this year. Additionally, it looks like we will have at least a semi competitive team this year, so hopefully we can compound this attendance into long term supporters.

tjjvalpo

They need to promote VU basketball to the Greater Chicagoland area. I lived about an hour or less from Valpo from 1983 until 1997 and never once received any information about VU basketball. I have friend that lives in Clarendon Hills, graduated from Valpo in the 90's and he has never once been approached about VU Basketball. He comes to 3-4 games a year, one or two as my guest and then a couple more. In 1997, we had about 4 or 5 thousand Alumni come to a Valpo/Yale football game at Soldier Field, because they promoted it.

VU75

Whenever the devil harasses you, seek the company of men or drink more, or joke and talk nonsense, or do some other merry thing. Sometimes we must drink more, sport, recreate ourselves, and even sin a little to spite the devil, so that we leave him no place for troubling our consciences with trifles. We are conquered if we try too conscientiously not to sin at all. So when the devil says to you: do not drink, answer him: I will drink, and right freely, just because you tell me not to.

Martin Luther

Just Sayin

Quote from: vok22 on October 04, 2021, 06:10:25 PM
Refreshing to hear in that article that this is one of many new efforts at getting more people to the ARC. Article also said they are going to be using new local sponsorships, in game activities, etc to try to get new families and young people to the games. While this should have always be a focus, glad to hear they are actually making an attempt now. I also saw that earlier this year a current valpo student that I believe is an intern of some sort with the athletics department sent out a survey to students about what they would like to see happen at games to get them to go. Based on the football and volleyball student attendance, it seems like we might have some fun student sections this year. That, paired with concerted efforts from the athletic department to get the general public to come, might combine for some good atmospheres this year. Additionally, it looks like we will have at least a semi competitive team this year, so hopefully we can compound this attendance into long term supporters.

Best approach ever to increase attendance from the general public:

If you win, they will come.

Just Sayin

Valpo Average Attendance

88 1812
89 1817
90 1727
91 2356
92 2031
93 2640
94 3251
95 3446