• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Loyola 8 pm 1/11 on CBS Sports Network

Started by humbleopinion, January 11, 2022, 09:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

I'll be in the crowd hoping for the best in this one, but Valpo faces a team that was ranked in the top 25 last week whose only losses have been to Michigan State and Auburn.  The Ramblers enter the game riding a seven game winning streak and haven't lost at home this year.

With any luck, Trevor will be back, and Covid will not have spread among the team members.

This game will be a challenge for the Beacons who still are trying to find their footing.  Kevion will need to continue hitting threes, eight footers will have to start falling for Kobe, Kithier will need to be a force on the boards -- all this to keep the game close.

Beamin' Beacons

usc4valpo

I think Valpo is going to play the Ramblers close and lose by 5.

wh

I see no hope for this game, and I'm starting to think the same about the season. It's becoming abundantly clear that the only way we can compete is if we have everyone available. No Ben - lose, no Kobe - lose, no Thomas - lose, no Trevor - lose. If players are getting COVID, then the vaccine that was supposed to give us an advantage is a joke, or if they are quarantining simply because they were "exposed" to someone with COVID, even though they're vaccinated, I guess we'll never be at full strength again. Of course, all we fans can do is speculate because these supposed health issues are being treated like the secret sauce behind Colonel Sander's recipe.

usc4valpo

I wonder if the college hoop season is going to be suspended.

VUSWIM08-12

Valpo currently at 15.5 point underdogs, ughhh surely we cover that, I guess I'm hoping for a 10 point loss or better! Moneyline is +850, I'll put down $5 lol. For  some reason I think we might win this. Call me crazy  but the talent is there so we're due I suppose. The notion definitely isn't evidenced based.

P0' 64
Scarfs 63

vuny98

If we go back two games, there was a lot of hope and optimism around the team and our ability to complete with the best in this league. Then a dud against UNI and a close loss (that was only close due to a late rally) to SIU has crushed all of that hope. We still have some talent and if it comes together on any given night, I think we can certainty compete. But which games that will be is a complete mystery. I would not be surprised if we won this in a close game, nor would I be surprised if we lost by 20+. I know which one is far more likely though.

NativeCheesehead

This feels like a game that will give us hope before the inevitable letdown, but still a loss.

Vu 62
LU 68

justducky

Just like last year Matt has Loyola set up to be massively overconfident but that is about the only advantage I can think of. One more is that I'm unable to watch the game live and that also sometimes helps!  :thumbsup:

Just remembered that our last trip to Butler was a win.

Chairback

The first 7 mins will tell us how this game goes.  If we miss our shots early and they quickly bury 3s it's going to be a long night. 

I hope we don't come out rushed and panicked and settle for long 3s. 

Kobe can really get to the hoop and I hope we start incorporating that in the offense more.  I would have loved to see that happen at the end of the siu game.

oklahomamick

Crusaders are 16-41 against Loyola all time. 

We are 1-0 against Grand Canyon University.

We were in the HL for 10 years from 07-17.

Crusaders were 7-5 against Loyola when both were in the HL.
CRUSADERS!!!

mj

Good defense so far today. Let's see if we can keep it up...
I believe that we will win.

VALPO LI

Up 8 at the half is good, it could have turned bad real fast with (2) 3's and a technical foul but Valpo responded well.
Shine on Vu

mj

Well. I'll be the first to admit that was a pretty good half of basketball. We came out with a plan and executed. Let's see if we can make the necessary adjustments in the 2nd half...

vu72

And we are actually out rebounding them 16-11.  Krikke has done nothing and our starting point is out.  Hope springs eternal!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUSWIM08-12

Foul trouble for nearly everyone , ahhh let's somehow pull this out !

valpotx

As much fun as this game is at the moment, I am getting so pissed off at the bone-headed plays.  Is it really worth saying something to the ref or opponent for one second, just to get a word in?  Good lord, control your emotions on the court.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUSWIM08-12

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

hailcrusaders

Some absolutely awful play down the stretch of this one. Kithier got fouled on that inbound though.

As for the final possession of regulation, I know King is a jump shooter but man I'd rather have seen us drive to the basket. That was such a low percentage shot. Go inside! Draw a foul if you need to!
#CrusadersForever

mj

We've played atrocious the past few minutes. But the refs have been just as bad.

valpotx

The refs have swallowed their whistles on the jersey tugging that Loyola has been doing over the last 7 minutes of game time.  It happened on both of those inbounds plays at the end of regulation.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Refs have sucked again at Loyola. Sheldon was way too nonchalant with that inbounds play, so that is on us. Other than that we got screwed. Two Techs.... Really?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Chairback

3 crap inbounds plays at end of regulation.  Pure crap.

valpotx

You have got to be f'ing kidding me with that last play.  Sheldon waits until 5 seconds to move, and takes what is going to be an obvious 3?  Take it to the mf'ing hole!!!!!!!!
"Don't mess with Texas"