• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2022 Valparaiso Football

Started by Pgmado, April 06, 2022, 02:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

JD24 , Matt Logan went to Platville, Watson Allen Butler.

Seems like less many freshman were there over summer. Last year the roster game out a day before the IWU game with numbers not being correct until the week after.

Over/Under on this year set at 09/01

valpo tundra

In fact, Mathew Logan did get on the bus and practiced several weeks at Valpo before transferring to Wisconsin-Platteville. Similarly, Austin Brislin did practice for several weeks before transferring to West Chester University but not continuing with football.

valpofb16

That's not great they are losing O Lineman. By my count that puts them at 11-12 on the roster...

Brislin, Logan, Stone, Monahan, Orr, Meyers, Ford, Leathers, Garrard all gone.

Let's hope Denecke is a great recruiter and has the secret to keeping guys healthy

Turf and Grid Iron Dad

Stone Dixon is still on the roster and is actively practicing as of Monday.

valpofb16

Pgmado

Quote from: valpofb16 on August 09, 2022, 12:49:09 PM
New roster out 2-3 new sophomores at OL helps with numbers. Dline much added weight. New transfers from Boston College (Safety Tyler Day) and Colorado (WR Michael Byrd). Day figures to be more of an impact player.

Interesting no shows:
RB Keylan Chapman 5th year Oregon/Fort Hays State xfer (tweeted it was over), RB Gabe Olvera (Oregon / 247 2*), Grady Hickey (AZ WR), and the QB Cam Harbaugh.

Spoke with Keylan. It is an NCAA deal. He would be a 7th year senior. Not sure parameters

Roster has 117 and only 110 can report to camp under NCAA rules, meaning not everyone is there, don't believe Valpo intends to play a JV schedule. Freshman came in with heights and weights lower than the signing day article reported across the board. Under 3 weeks until the first two deep is released

The 110 rule got waived in 2020 during COVID. Not sure if it was put back in place.

Looks like it must have been put back in place. 110 can practice before classes start. Everyone else can join after.

valpofb16

FWIW have heard on good authority Teryn Berry is getting majority of first team reps.

Let's hope last year was a blip, new team, and Limbach coaching

NotBryceDrew

Glad to hear Berry is doing well had high hopes last season, hopefully the rust is gone. Been awhile since we've had quality depth at QB but Jackson and Kaplan seem highly capable as well. Can't wait to see the team in action.

historyman

Quote from: valpofb16 on August 11, 2022, 09:54:22 AM
FWIW have heard on good authority Teryn Berry is getting majority of first team reps.

Let's hope last year was a blip, new team, and Limbach coaching

https://weberstatesports.com/sports/football/roster/teryn--berry/5040
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Berry deserves another shot.  I think that he just forced a few too many passes, but has a lot of potential.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofb16

Under three weeks from Game just wanted to post returning starters / starters lost, and see who could replace them

Offense : 5/11

Returns:
WR-Contreras
WR- Bingham
LT- Bird
LG- Files
C-Parrish

Gone:
QB-Nimz
RB-Washington
WR- Reese
TE- Hebbeler
RG- Orr
RT- Stone

Defense: 6/11

Returns:
DT- Kessen
LB - Annis
CB-Turner
S- Chilton
S - Sherman
CB - Horton

Gone:
DE- Purty
DT- Orlandini
DE - Martins
LB -Twigg / Peifer
LB- Psota

valpofb16

My guesses

QB: Berry
RB: Dawson / Lane / Mann
WR: Ross
TE: Pierson / Vickers
RG: Woody
LT: Szczepanski / Gray
DE: Dristiliaris / Christian
DT: Miller
DE: Spelman
LB: Nabers/ Mekky / Days
LB: Hines

Valpo03

I will save you the suspense
Lucky if we win 4 games
Go Crusaders

NotBryceDrew

Valpo03

Schedule
Returners
And it is Valpo Football....

usc4valpo

Looking at this holistically, is the skill level improved from last year? If not, we are talking 4-7.

valpofb16

Honestly. Indiana Wesleyan is probably a loss tons of fifth years from a team that was 7 points away from a #1 NAIA ranking and beat Marian 41-6.

Dartmouth and Illinois state are losses.

2 from the front 7 return and Washington is gone. Those were the two strengths of last years team.

I think 6-5 is possible. Fox will put out a competitive defense. If they can't find an identity on offense 1-11 is also possible (sorry Presbyterian)

Sidebar: every other school schedules a jam and egger to get wins on board. Cecchini did this as well. Would it kill University to go back to this? Bring a D3 up here (I know this backfired in the early 2010s but program in much better state)

valpofb16

Actually university under 2500 kids, who are we kidding. It's dying anyway

usc4valpo

Valpo has under 2500? since when?

valpofb16

2939 Fall 2022 head count Grad/Undergrad. So under 3k my bad

4500 as recently as 2015. 35% fall out

David81

For purposes of institutional stability, we obviously want to see those enrollment figures increase. But plenty of small colleges, esp. at the D3 level, run extremely successful football programs. I just checked Mount Union (perennial D3 powerhouse who would very likely give VU a beating), and their undergraduate enrollment in recent years has been in the 2,000 range.

So...just thinking that if Valpo can get its undergrad enrollment back up around 3,500 or so, that would bode well for the football program as well. (And don't forget that 2015 number cited above included maybe around 400 law students.)

vu72

Quote from: valpofb16 on August 15, 2022, 11:44:25 AM2939 Fall 2022 head count Grad/Undergrad

Those numbers are from the fall of 2021 not this current year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

soapyjeans

I'm pulling for Kaplan as starting QB

valpofb16

Will Johnson former WVU RB and NFL guy joins as the RB coach. Good experience , 14k followers, good exposure