• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Strategic Plan

Started by vu72, August 06, 2022, 10:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: David81 on April 30, 2023, 06:25:58 PM
Quote from: wh on April 30, 2023, 01:24:51 PM
My natural human tendency is to empathize with those in the education field and the seemingly unfair pay gap relative to numerous other career paths. Where higher education leaves me cold is its pervasive, non-meritocratic, Marxist influence on closing societal gaps by flattening the curve from the top down rather than the bottom up.

I'm not going to ask you to answer for your industry, but I will ask this. In establishing a resolution baseline, is your general feeling that educators are underpaid, or other career paths are overpaid?

Marxist influence???? You mean all the commies taking over Valpo so they can be paid $50k for what at many other universities would be considered course overloads? wh, seriously, when you stick to points grounded in reality, you bring a lot of insight to the table. But here it sounds like you're superimposing a common far right broadside over a university whose faculty is not exactly fomenting revolution.

BTW, I would agree wholeheartedly that the academy tends to lean to the left, at some places to excess from a standpoint of valuing open dialogue and genuine academic freedom. And, at times, faculties can be very demanding and entitled. But interestingly, one sees this dynamic more in elite institutions than in places where faculty don't take themselves so seriously.

"...the academy tends to lean to the left, at some places to excess from a standpoint of valuing open dialogue and genuine academic?"

Naive, or disingenuous? Open dialogue, or cancel culture? Lean to the left, or hard left ideologues? Instruction or indoctrination? Columbia University,  or little old Valpo?

The public knows what Valpo is selling these days, and it's being increasingly rejected. There are far less expensive alternatives, if that's what you're looking for. Fortunately, I believe we have the right guy at the right time to clean up this self-inflicted mess.

David81

Quote from: wh on April 30, 2023, 08:17:13 PM
Quote from: David81 on April 30, 2023, 06:25:58 PM
Quote from: wh on April 30, 2023, 01:24:51 PM
My natural human tendency is to empathize with those in the education field and the seemingly unfair pay gap relative to numerous other career paths. Where higher education leaves me cold is its pervasive, non-meritocratic, Marxist influence on closing societal gaps by flattening the curve from the top down rather than the bottom up.

I'm not going to ask you to answer for your industry, but I will ask this. In establishing a resolution baseline, is your general feeling that educators are underpaid, or other career paths are overpaid?

Marxist influence???? You mean all the commies taking over Valpo so they can be paid $50k for what at many other universities would be considered course overloads? wh, seriously, when you stick to points grounded in reality, you bring a lot of insight to the table. But here it sounds like you're superimposing a common far right broadside over a university whose faculty is not exactly fomenting revolution.

BTW, I would agree wholeheartedly that the academy tends to lean to the left, at some places to excess from a standpoint of valuing open dialogue and genuine academic freedom. And, at times, faculties can be very demanding and entitled. But interestingly, one sees this dynamic more in elite institutions than in places where faculty don't take themselves so seriously.

"...the academy tends to lean to the left, at some places to excess from a standpoint of valuing open dialogue and genuine academic?"

Naive, or disingenuous? Open dialogue, or cancel culture? Lean to the left, or hard left ideologues? Instruction or indoctrination? Columbia University,  or little old Valpo?

The public knows what Valpo is selling these days, and it's being increasingly rejected. There are far less expensive alternatives, if that's what you're looking for. Fortunately, I believe we have the right guy at the right time to clean up this self-inflicted mess.

I'm sorry, but this increasing sounds like a rant, and I can't discern the point(s) you're trying to make.

We do happen to share an overall optimism about Padilla's presidency. I think he's a good leader who understands VU's strengths and challenges, a smart pragmatist rather than an ideologue, martinet, or foolhardy dreamer.

I also happen to believe that with the right outreach, VU can draw a larger and very interesting group of students each fall. Even with the cuts over the years, there's a lot of substance that can appeal to a wide swath of students. But its messaging needs work.

crusader05

I wonder if there is a way to shore up the humanities through revisiting the CORE Program.  Maybe instead of it all being the same class that students take their freshman year certain humanities classes can be labeled as "CORE" and they need to take at least 2 that don't count towards other Gen Eds. They can be different topics and in different arenas and students can use them to explore different areas of study and who knows, maybe they lead into extra majors or minors. You get rid of profs teaching more classes to provide it or hiring extra adjuncts to teach it. You can even create courses that can be modified. For instance when I was there several of my psych classes doubled as grad school classes but those in the grad school component had extra papers. Maybe some of these classes can double as for the major but those taking it for CORE have a little less work or are graded on a scale so they're not being impacted by it not being their main area of study.

I'd also imagine students would much rather take a humanities course that interests them than one that they HAVE to take that is the same for everyone

crusader05

Thanks for the info Valpo22. In my time, the only bonding experience around CORE was most of us hating it so I definitely think there can be a better way. I was always envious of both CC and the Met program for how united their cohort seemed to be. Nowadays it definitely seems that exists within social work as well and at least the PA Program and the Engineering College seems to do a good job. I wonder if more cohort models within departments or other areas could be a good way to increase connection/retention and still be academically focused. I feel you already have other segments of campus life that help with that including OMP, Chapel, athletics, and Greek Life but it couldn't hurt to hae more. Valpo's small enough that you'd think a cohort model would work and than even students who are less  outgoing or don't find their niche in some of the bigger social areas of campus would still have a spot to be connected.

crusadermoe

Yes, the CORE seems to have borrowed the concept from the Christ College integrated freshman class of 8 credits. 

The more idealistic faculty in the balance of the university probably understood the integration of subject matter much better than the 18 and 19 year olds who were enrolled.  Students who don't have a high curiosity for the humanities can't really be forced to pursue it much like you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink.

The CORE program. doesn't seem to work for the kids who may not have the ability or the time to read voluminous texts. Perhaps there is a big enrollment deterrent to enrollment from the CORE ambiguity and transfer snarls. The parents may be walking away from the visit thinking that Valpo is an intriguing place, but is the CORE approach one that will bind my undecided kid into a school that he later might leave in a transfer. 

valpo95

Quote from: DejaVU on April 28, 2023, 04:06:13 PM

Another thing I remember, Heckler mentioned in a meeting during the Great Recession deflation with near zero interest rates, that this was great time to get more loans for strategic projects in order to secure historically low interest rates. I am saying this because I keep hearing folks talking about the problems with servicing debt during these time of big interest rates. So I don't really know one way or another, but if Heckler was true to his words we should have loans with ultra low fixed interest rates now. However if those loans were with variable interests then...party over.

According to the 2022 financial statements (as of 6/30/22), VU spent $4.32M in interest payments in 2022.

I summarize the debts as follows:

1) $42.1M at interest rates of 4-5% (2014 IFA Educational Facilities Revenue Bond)
2) $38.1M at interest rates of 3-5% (2017 IFA Educational Facilities Revenue Bond)
3) $15.9M at interest rates of 4-5% (2021 IFA Educational Facilities Revenue Bond)
4) $1.8M  two small mortgage notes at 3.5-4%.
5) $21M drawn on two lines of credit at LIBOR + 60 basis points, which was 2.05% in 2022.

With respect to the loans, there appear to be three big problems facing VU:

First, items 1-3 have varying payment schedules, such that in the first years the principal payments were zero going up to $7.8M and and $4.8M per year (as in loans 1-2). What this means is that the loan balance of $42.1M on item 1 was the same in 2014 as it is today (no principal repaid so far). Loans 2 and 3 appear to have some principal paid. Without knowing the exact schedule, it is hard to say, yet usually the principal repayment requirements go up over time. So, the good news is that the interest rate on those items is fixed at an attractive rate, the bad news is that bigger principal repayments are on the way.

Second, the lines of credit (presumably renewed) went from interest rates of 2.05% to likely 5.6% in 2023. (LIBOR-equivalent is about 5% as of now). Of course, I don't know what the average balance is throughout the year - if it remained a constant $21M, it would cause an increase in interest costs from about $430K to $1.2M just on that value. This a big cash flow hit.

Third, with the reduction in VU's bond rating discussed elsewhere, it is unlikely that VU could as easily borrow more money, either for dorms, a new nursing building, or to fund other priorities.

David81

CORE came way after my time at VU. I've read a couple of reviews of it in college guidebooks, reporting that it can be an uneven learning experience for some and -- as mentioned here -- its more opaque curricular profile caused difficulties for students wanting to transfer after 1st year.

The concept seems great to my late middle-aged self who values the humanities and interdisciplinary learning much more than I did back then. But my 18-year-old self might not have been so appreciative. I preferred courses in their identifiable boxes.

Still, there should be some way to tweak the CORE approach and to create more of a cohort experience as part of it.

wh

Sell those paintings, Valpo!
ERIC ZORN, former opinion columnist for the Chicago Tribune

To serve its core mission, sure, Valparaiso University should sell its art

https://ericzorn.substack.com/p/sell-those-paintings-valpo#§to-serve-its-core-mission-sure-valparaiso-university-should-sell-its-art

usc4valpo

Every professor and student is opposed to the art sale? Where did this professor in the article reach that conclusion? I saw some students this weekend and they thought the art sale was a good idea - the school needs upgrades and the cash. That professor is looking at this with blinders.

valpopal

Quote from: vu84v2 on April 26, 2023, 05:05:15 PM
Quote from: valpopal on April 26, 2023, 02:49:21 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on April 26, 2023, 01:57:05 PM
I do not agree with the conclusion on urgency. It could certainly be considered urgent while also needing to delay a contract with Sotheby's due to pre-requisites to resolve legal issues/approval.
I would agree with you except that Padilla made timing a point when expressing his reasoning for the art sale plan. He asserted selling the paintings was the only way he could get funds by the end of spring to begin renovation of the dorms over the summer. He said there was a tight schedule and that was why he eliminated some other alternatives. However, that urgency rationalization for the art sale by end of spring option no longer applies.

If they are starting the dorm renovations, then your arguments have some validity. If they are delaying starting the dorm renovations (which is my understanding), your arguments are not valid....its just that everything is delayed (and Valpo will continue to fall short of parity on first and second year dorms when trying to attract new students).
According to an article in this week's Torch, the Director for Residential Life states: "As of right now, the plan is to have Brandt and Wehrenberg Halls renovated" during the 2023-24 academic year for fall 2024. This would be good news.

VU2022

Glad to hear the renovations are starting! Loved my time in Brandt, but man was it bad without AC during the fall and spring. Additionally, the heat and humidity lead to the thermal paste in my brand new at the time PC melting and destroying the motherboard...

vu72

This from The Torch article dated May 1:

"The on-campus housing selection process looked different this year for returning Valpo students with the notable absence of Wehrenberg Hall and single occupancy rooms.

For upperclassmen, Beacon Hall, Guild-Memorial Hall, the Kade-Duesenberg German House, Promenade Apartments and the Sorority Housing Complex will be in operation for the 2023-24 academic year. Incoming first year students will be housed in Alumni and Lankenau Halls.

This set-up leaves Brandt and Wehrenberg Halls — which housed first years and upperclassmen, respectively —  unoccupied for the upcoming academic year. As of late April, university administration is planning to renovate the two halls, which are connected by a rotunda on the ground floor, during the 2023-24 academic year."
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on May 03, 2023, 11:16:53 AM
This from The Torch article dated May 1:

"The on-campus housing selection process looked different this year for returning Valpo students with the notable absence of Wehrenberg Hall and single occupancy rooms.

For upperclassmen, Beacon Hall, Guild-Memorial Hall, the Kade-Duesenberg German House, Promenade Apartments and the Sorority Housing Complex will be in operation for the 2023-24 academic year. Incoming first year students will be housed in Alumni and Lankenau Halls.

This set-up leaves Brandt and Wehrenberg Halls — which housed first years and upperclassmen, respectively —  unoccupied for the upcoming academic year. As of late April, university administration is planning to renovate the two halls, which are connected by a rotunda on the ground floor, during the 2023-24 academic year."
As I mentioned in my post yesterday referencing this article, I think we can all agree that this is good news.

VULB#62

Scheele, the former home of VU sororities, is not mentioned. What's its status?

valpo64

What are the long-range plans for it?

crusader05

Pretty sure the only reason Scheele hasn't been razed is cause it's connected to Lank.

VULB#62

I don't have a "scratching my head" emoji, so I will use my words.

Aside from the years they were built (Brandt and Scheele opened in the early 60s. I was there. Then Lankenau followed by Alumni),  if you open the  Webster's Dictionary app and search under cookie cutter images,  those dorms will be the first to appear.  So why is just Scheele singled out?

A fond retrospective:  Anyone who was on campus in the early, mid and late 60s can relate — the parking lot traffic jam in front of Scheele on weekend nights when every last second was squeezed out of the women's dorm curfew hour.  If you were just standing there, you'd see 50 or more car dome lights going on in parked cars about 2 minutes before the witching hour and then girls running to the doors.  I often wondered what was going on in those parked cars for so long before curfew  ::)

crusader05

Scheele was singled out I think because it was the main form of sorority housing on campus before the newer, townhome style dorms were built for each chapter. When I was there Scheele always seemed to be the least taken care of dorms, or maybe it was just lived in a little harder. Since it's residents were moved from one building to another there was no one to fill it and it has just sat empty for the most part. Not sure how much internal upkeep has been going on at this point.

covufan

Scheele has been empty. We need more students, 90% acceptance rate or better. We need more applicants and students, period.

Why and dorm experience don't matter.

We

Need

More

Students

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu84v2

Pretty clear from this article - specifically the quote from President Padilla - that the university has no intention of moving away from selling the art.

http://www.valpotorch.com/news/article_0cb0810a-ea9c-11ed-9d07-a79892e852e5.html

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on May 09, 2023, 08:38:25 PM
Pretty clear from this article - specifically the quote from President Padilla - that the university has no intention of moving away from selling the art.

http://www.valpotorch.com/news/article_0cb0810a-ea9c-11ed-9d07-a79892e852e5.html

A well written article.

Thoughts:
---President Padilla and the Board have dug their heels in, which isn't surprising. It's pretty obvious that this is no longer about art, but who is going to run Valparaiso University - leadership or faculty.
---Since there is no middle ground, this will go to full litigation unless the plaintiffs give up. The odds of that are probably slim to none, as I assume they're being funded by "outside" sources with deep pockets.
---I can only imagine the legal fees the university will incur by the time this is over. I can easily envision upper 6 figures, or more, depending how long it drags out.
---A couple of classic comments:
The student who said 2500 people signed the petition, then added 'anyone can sign, give it to your family and friends.' I'll take the under on 57 legitimate signatures.
The faculty rep calling "no fair" if they sell the paintings during quiet time. lol

VU2022

Good point wh about the legal fees. I have no clue why the art sale is being fought tooth and nail. It's a tough decision, sure, but there is no alternative and there was no point in contesting once the decision was made. All this dragging of the feet is only going to make it truly pointless, win or lose, and will harm valpo in the long run

historyman

Quote from: covufan on May 04, 2023, 08:38:00 PM
Scheele has been empty.

There are 2 dorm buildings that were torn down much earlier by the names of Dau & Kreinheder. Those two dorms had drain pipes encased in cement and whenever there was a stoppage in the drain line the maintenance dept had to get a jackhammer and dig up the concrete until they found the problem. There was great joy in the maintenance dept when those dorms came down.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

Padilla is doing the right thing. Leaders have to make tough decisions and you will never, ever, please everyone. Time to move forward. It a bad situation, but Valpo needs these renovations to stay competitive.

My favorite moment of course was the creative writing major whining that Valpo was becoming a tech school.

vu72

Quote from: historyman on May 12, 2023, 06:11:20 AM
Quote from: covufan on May 04, 2023, 08:38:00 PM
Scheele has been empty.

There are 2 dorm buildings that were torn down much earlier by the names of Dau & Kreinheder. Those two dorms had drain pipes encased in cement and whenever there was a stoppage in the drain line the maintenance dept had to get a jackhammer and dig up the concrete until they found the problem. There was great joy in the maintenance dept when those dorms came down.

I believe the current Student Fitness Center was the cafeteria between D and K
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015