• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Whew!!!! Valpo 80, IUN 47

Started by Crusader03, November 30, 2011, 10:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusader03

Well, this is a relief.  We had a rough patch to start the season, but the Lady 'Saders came out guns ablazin' tonight!  This is a great win for the program.  According to a poster "ITK" ("in the know"), Houston was supposed to be the second coming of David Robinson.  Her 18 pts and 9 boards was nice, but not nearly enough for this talented VU squad.  Maybe a meal of crow is in order?  :lol:

Our three point and free throw shooting still needs work, but tonight was very encouraging.  If the LS can put up wins against Lehigh and IPFW, I think it will safe to say we have turned things around and we may even put the suits down at corporate (read: NCAA goons/selection committee) on notice about this team!

WTGLS!

ValpoHoops

Well, I wasn't going to respond...but Notre Dame is getting blows out by Gonzaga, so I'm bored...

Houston had 18 and 9, basically on the court by herself, considering the rest of her team. I said she would be the best player on the court when she wanted to be, and WHEN SHE WANTED TO BE, she was...no questions asked. That said, IUN doesn't exactly have any pieces around her. As I said, I've been watching IUN quite a bit over the last week, and will continue to do so...it seems that you have no idea who I am (that sounds a bit self-important...), but I can assure you that the other posters who read these threads do know who I am and what my history is...I'm not exactly an outsider to the world of women's basketball or Valpo women's basketball. Again...Houston was the best player on the court when she wanted to be...she just doesn't want to be very often, and I'm pretty sure that's what I said would happen. So, eat crow, no thanks...I'll stick to my usual routine.

On another note, hopefully, this is the first of many...when all of the pieces of this team finally get put together, I think they have a chance to be a decent team.

Crusader03

Quote from: ValpoHoops on November 30, 2011, 11:02:43 PM
Well, I wasn't going to respond...but Notre Dame is getting blows out by Gonzaga, so I'm bored...

Houston had 18 and 9, basically on the court by herself, considering the rest of her team. I said she would be the best player on the court when she wanted to be, and WHEN SHE WANTED TO BE, she was...no questions asked. That said, IUN doesn't exactly have any pieces around her. As I said, I've been watching IUN quite a bit over the last week, and will continue to do so...it seems that you have no idea who I am (that sounds a bit self-important...), but I can assure you that the other posters who read these threads do know who I am and what my history is...I'm not exactly an outsider to the world of women's basketball or Valpo women's basketball. Again...Houston was the best player on the court when she wanted to be...she just doesn't want to be very often, and I'm pretty sure that's what I said would happen. So, eat crow, no thanks...I'll stick to my usual routine.

On another note, hopefully, this is the first of many...when all of the pieces of this team finally get put together, I think they have a chance to be a decent team.

Oh brother...

jack

Random thoughts about last night's game:
Certainly a nice win for the team. I thought they did a lot of good things last night. This should help them in the confidence department, and a nice start to a 3 game home stretch. It was good to see Horton getting some extended minutes and I though the guard play did a nice job of getting her involved often. Actually, I felt our guard play was the best they've been all season. They did a nice job of steping into the passing lanes and disrupting the flow on D. I still believe we are a much better team defensively when we are playing "in your face" ball out on the point. Our guards are agressive and physical enough, and have enough speed to keep up the preasure without over committing. Richards appears to be over her ailment, and it was nice to see her getting the blows she needs periodically. I though Carr did a nice job coming in and running the floor, and distributing the ball. All of our ladies did a nice job of recovering on transition defense and not allow any easy baskets. As a team, our defensive effort was about as good as we've played yet. Our bigs seemed to force some akward shots inside at times, and missed some opportunities to kick the ball back out and reset when in trouble. Getting Horton in for extended minutes probably played a bigger role in the teams success then you would think. from an attitude standpoint, just having another player in the rotation contributing is huge. I can't wait to see what we are capable of when we get more players playing, and we all get on the same page.
Nice win ladies. Keep it rolling.   

Crusader03

Quote from: jack on December 01, 2011, 09:21:49 AM
Random thoughts about last night's game:
Certainly a nice win for the team. I thought they did a lot of good things last night. This should help them in the confidence department, and a nice start to a 3 game home stretch. It was good to see Horton getting some extended minutes and I though the guard play did a nice job of getting her involved often. Actually, I felt our guard play was the best they've been all season. They did a nice job of steping into the passing lanes and disrupting the flow on D. I still believe we are a much better team defensively when we are playing "in your face" ball out on the point. Our guards are agressive and physical enough, and have enough speed to keep up the preasure without over committing. Richards appears to be over her ailment, and it was nice to see her getting the blows she needs periodically. I though Carr did a nice job coming in and running the floor, and distributing the ball. All of our ladies did a nice job of recovering on transition defense and not allow any easy baskets. As a team, our defensive effort was about as good as we've played yet. Our bigs seemed to force some akward shots inside at times, and missed some opportunities to kick the ball back out and reset when in trouble. Getting Horton in for extended minutes probably played a bigger role in the teams success then you would think. from an attitude standpoint, just having another player in the rotation contributing is huge. I can't wait to see what we are capable of when we get more players playing, and we all get on the same page.
Nice win ladies. Keep it rolling.

Great point re: Horton...I had the same thought cross my mind last night.  This game could be a springboard for her to, at the very least, get some minutes in the rotation and make us deeper.  Definitely on the same wavelength on this one.

Valpo89

Quote from: Crusader03 on November 30, 2011, 10:37:30 PM
This is a great win for the program.

It is an expected blowout win over IUN. It is not a great win for the program.
The only thing it could have been would be an embarrassing loss.

And let me just chime in to say the phrase you use as a nickname for the team is unbelievably ridiculous.

Crusader03

Quote from: Valpo89 on December 01, 2011, 11:00:29 AM

And let me just chime in to say the phrase you use as a nickname for the team is unbelievably ridiculous.

It's a great win in the sense that we beat a local team and looked good in doing so.  Also, as Valpohoops told us, they have a great player on their team.  We showed that we can stop a talented player, overcome the pressure of a local rivalry game and that we had the moxie to bounce back from a tough losing streak to win a game. 

Do you guys remember Steve Urkel's catchphrase?  Of course you do...it was "Did I do thaaaaaat?!?"  At first we all found it annoying and grating, but eventually we all started using it and it became a normal part of conversation.  Next thing you know, people were wearing Urkel shirts and doing the Urkel dance.  Long story short, I have a feeling "Lady 'Saders" will catch on and I'll be the one cashing in on all the gear!!!  :lol:

Valpo89

Keep dreaming, '03.
This is NOT a rivalry game. IUN is NAIA Division II. Who cares?
The only reason it is a sort-of big deal is because the girls needed a win, and Keith needed a win for his sanity.

StlVUFan

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 01, 2011, 11:11:13 AM
Do you guys remember Steve Urkel's catchphrase?  Of course you do...it was "Did I do thaaaaaat?!?"  At first we all found it annoying and grating, but eventually we all started using it and it became a normal part of conversation.

Speak for yourself.

covufan

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 01, 2011, 11:11:13 AM

It's a great win in the sense that we beat a local team and looked good in doing so.  Also, as Valpohoops told us, they have a great player on their team.  We showed that we can stop a talented player, overcome the pressure of a local rivalry game and that we had the moxie to bounce back from a tough losing streak to win a game. 

Do you guys remember Steve Urkel's catchphrase?  Of course you do...it was "Did I do thaaaaaat?!?"  At first we all found it annoying and grating, but eventually we all started using it and it became a normal part of conversation.  Next thing you know, people were wearing Urkel shirts and doing the Urkel dance.  Long story short, I have a feeling "Lady 'Saders" will catch on and I'll be the one cashing in on all the gear!!!  :lol:

What is that sound?  Oh, it is Crusader03's reputation going down...

While I support all of VU sports, I don't think this team will be doing anything this year.  Maybe in a few years.  They have not won a game against a Division I opponent.  I really only expect a few wins, maybe 4 or 5, against Division I opponents this year. 

I like 03's enthusiasm, but get realistic. :crazy:

covufan

According to Sagarin's and Massey, the VU Women's team is last in the ratings for Horizon.  Hopefully, they can turn things around.

http://www.rpiratings.com/womrate.php

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?s=179269&t=3339

valporun

Seriously, why are we focusing on Sagarin and Massey ratings? I honestly don't give a darn what ratings say, because all they do is give a name to some flawed rating system that only plays well to the Major conferences anyway.

Our women's team won a game last night that they should have won. I'll be more excited if they beat Lehigh on Saturday. A win over IU-N is like the men beating IU-Kokomo or Holy Cross (IN). It's just a game meant to give our team some confidence and minutes to some of the bench, not be a statement game for our programs.

I agree with everyone else on this board, KNOCK IT OFF WITH THE "LADY 'SADERS" GARBAGE. It looks stupid in print, and even dumber when it keeps getting used. I hope it only winds up being a very short lived phase, and will die a much-needed death.

rlh

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 01, 2011, 11:11:13 AMLong story short, I have a feeling "Lady 'Saders" will catch on and I'll be the one cashing in on all the gear!!!  :lol:
I pray you are wrong....this is ridiculous and in no way reflects the wishes of most fans

jack

I will agree, it should be an expected WIN. I'm not sure an expected blowout given the fact that our team isn't even running at 50% yet. It's a good win for many reasons: 1st win under our belt, quality minutes to players that haven't seen a lot yet, and we didn't get blown out by a stronger team while we're trying to get healthy. I can't stress enough how the lack of a healthy rotation affects every aspect of what you're trying to do, and there have been many times when we've had 3 freshmen on the floor at once who are all trying to get used to playing at the next level. Physicality aside, the mental aspects of this game take a beating as well with all they've been dealing with. We have players now having to play major minutes that are still not healthy. I think last night's game spoke volumes to the grit and will of a team that is striving to get better and overcome the physical challenges they're dealing with, and probably went a long way to helping with the mental aspect of things as well. When they can get healthy, and get into a normal flow and rotation, they have the ability to compete in this league with just about anyone. They have a lot of young talent, and other talent we haven't been able to see yet this season. Will they be healthy enough this season to get on a roll? who knows, but I hope so. Even with their issues, I see improvement each game, especially with the younger players. Don't give up on them so fast. Not sure of your exposure or involvement in sports, but in reading your comments you strike me as someone that hasn't play the game long enough, or at all, to recognize the value of a win like last night to a team that's been struggling with many issues in this young season. Give them a chance. You may be suprised.

Crusader03

Quote from: jack on December 01, 2011, 02:16:08 PM

Not sure of your exposure or involvement in sports, but in reading your comments you strike me as someone that hasn't play the game long enough, or at all, to recognize the value of a win like last night to a team that's been struggling with many issues in this young season. Give them a chance. You may be suprised.

:o Jack, taking no prisoners!  I like it...great enthusiasm and knowledge!

sectionee

I have little to zero interest in the women's team, but I am quite entertained by the banter in this thread!
'sader03 keep to coaching and leave the nicknames for somebody (anybody) else! Ha

Crusader03

Quote from: sectionee on December 01, 2011, 03:34:27 PM
I have little to zero interest in the women's team, but I am quite entertained by the banter in this thread!
'sader03 keep to coaching and leave the nicknames for somebody (anybody) else! Ha

;) You got it

jimdandy

lets please not get back to the talk of post season tournaments after this win
for all practical purposes this was an exhibition-

Crusader03

Quote from: jimdandy on December 01, 2011, 06:55:24 PM

Actually, you get two exhibitions and this one counted....I know, I didn't know either bro!  It actually counts and considering how good of a player Houston is supposed to be, I think the NCAA goonsquad won't see this as an "exhibition"

IndyValpo

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 01, 2011, 09:37:45 PM

Actually, you get two exhibitions and this one counted....I know, I didn't know either bro!  It actually counts and considering how good of a player Houston is supposed to be, I think the NCAA goonsquad won't see this as an "exhibition"
Please tell me that you are a 12 year old because your posts are embarrassing if not.....The original post you quoted was suggesting you not bring up this win leading to "post" season possibilities which you amazingly started this thread with.

To help you understand....this win counts on our record but is not factored in to any post season or RPI rankings.  As far as our potential post season (which everyone but you already know is not going to happen) this game is meaningless win or lose.

To further help you, neither the NCAA goon squad or the NCAA suits is involved in picking tourney teams that is made up of a committee from D1 schools usually AD's.

bbtds

I really hope the "Lady Jewish Meals" do win a few more games this season and good win against IUN. Keep up the momentum. 

Crusader03

Quote from: bbtds on December 02, 2011, 12:29:31 AM
I really hope the "Lady Jewish Meals" do win a few more games this season and good win against IUN. Keep up the momentum.

Ever since I started calling them the Lady 'Saders, it seems like they have turned things around.  They battled Western Illannoying, Colorado and Monty State tooth and nail and they finally put it all together in smashing IUN.  Let's goooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Crusader03

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 01, 2011, 10:53:18 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on December 01, 2011, 09:37:45 PM

Please tell me that you are a 12 year old because your posts are embarrassing if not.....The original post you quoted was suggesting you not bring up this win leading to "post" season possibilities which you amazingly started this thread with.

To help you understand....this win counts on our record but is not factored in to any post season or RPI rankings.  As far as our potential post season (which everyone but you already know is not going to happen) this game is meaningless win or lose.

To further help you, neither the NCAA goon squad or the NCAA suits is involved in picking tourney teams that is made up of a committee from D1 schools usually AD's.

You quote these as if they are actual organizations and not just NN for the selection committee.

But thanks for breaking this down for me!!!

KL31NY

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 02, 2011, 08:11:13 AM
Quote from: bbtds on December 02, 2011, 12:29:31 AM

Ever since I started calling them the Lady 'Saders, it seems like they have turned things around.  They battled Western Illannoying, Colorado and Monty State tooth and nail and they finally put it all together in smashing IUN.  Let's goooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Congrats, 03. You're the first person I found to consider the 2nd half collapse against WIU and the lack of a battle against Colorado as "tooth and nail" efforts and positive turnaround games... wait, what?  :crazy:

You know, it's way too easy to point out flaws in stuff like this. Here's my new policy, saving the effort and ignoring these kinds of posts until they consistently make proper sense... Later 03
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

historyman

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 01, 2011, 09:37:45 PM"I know, I didn't know"

That phrase sums up a lot about our distinguished Crusader03.  ;D