• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: hoopfan22 on April 23, 2012, 09:07:46 AM
Nick Davidson isn't playing AAU this summer. LOL!

OK, why?  And what's with the LOL??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

hoopfan22

I'm lol'ing because he got his scholarship offer and said i'm done with AAU. It's actually smart of him to sit out AAU.

zvillehaze

Quote from: hoopfan22 on April 23, 2012, 10:26:57 AM
I'm lol'ing because he got his scholarship offer and said i'm done with AAU. It's actually smart of him to sit out AAU.

Butler has had a few commits who either didn't play AAU before their senior year or who played very limited schedules.  Gordon Hayward didn't play at all because he was preparing for his last shot at an IHSAA tennis championship.

It would be interesting to hear if there's some other explanation (injury, etc.) for Davidson passing on AAU.

valpopal

For what it is worth: word is that Valpo has shown some interest in Lexus "Hot Rod" Williams (2013), a 6' guard from Marist of Chicago.

valpopal

Latest on Ryan Fazekas:

As a 6-7, 180-pound 2015 prospect, Fazekas has an unlimited upside. After one year at Marquette Catholic High School, he has over 15 schools interested in his services, and received an offer at 14 years old from Valparaiso. He has a great touch, and a lethal three-point shot. He's a good catch-and-shoot player, but can put the ball on the floor, and create his own shot. Fazekas is athletic and has good court awareness, always finding open space. He moves well without the ball and gets involved on the glass at both ends of the floor.

Very disciplined for a freshman, Fazekas doesn't take bad shots, and makes good decisions with the ball. With good ball skills, he has a knack for getting to the line and knocking down free throws. He scored a game-high 27 points in his team's last pool play game on Saturday, and was the best player on the floor.

Fazekas needs to continue to gain muscle and adjust to a new position as he grows. He's grown six inches since last summer, put on eight pounds since March, and said he plans on being 6-9 next year. He needs to get better driving through the lane, and could improve finishing down low.

http://www.umhoops.com/2012/04/23/scouting-nike-spring-showdown-part-b/

vuweathernerd

he plans on being 6-9? last time i checked, your body doesn't give a  :censored: how tall you want to be or pland to be. if that's how it worked, i should be about 6 inches taller than i am...

edit: i like how typing a swear invokes the wrath of the auto-censor icon. :)

wh

Valpopal, do you follow Marquette basketball?  I'm just wondering if Fazekas has ever said anything about his offer from Valpo.  Sometimes players show a lot of loyalty to the first program that shows a lot of interest, even when bigger programs start coming around - other times not (e.g., Hummel, Martin).  Do you have any thoughts about this?

Valpo89

Quote from: vuweathernerd on April 24, 2012, 06:49:24 AM
he plans on being 6-9? last time i checked, your body doesn't give a  :censored: how tall you want to be or pland to be. if that's how it worked, i should be about 6 inches taller than i am...

edit: i like how typing a swear invokes the wrath of the auto-censor icon. :)
Nice catch nerd. I thought the same thing when I read that last night before I went to bed but didn't process it very well.
I had planned on being a 6-foot-4 point guard on my high school team, but instead I ended up being a 5-foot-8 delivery boy at a local pharmacy.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on April 23, 2012, 08:50:59 PMHe's grown six inches since last summer, put on eight pounds since March, and said he plans on being 6-9 next year. He needs to get better driving through the lane, and could improve finishing down low.

I think what he was saying is that he thinks his growth spurt will end at 6'9". Have you guys ever grown 6 inches in height over the summer? If you had then I bet you could make a prediction of what height your growth spurt will end at.

LaPorteAveApostle

Is this "recruiting" post a post for any and all recruiting or just kids in a certain year, etc.? 

While we're at it, I plan on having a (hair) growth spurt. 
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

David Chadwick: a familiar name. If I remember correctly, he visited Valpo unofficially a couple of times as a high school senior, which may have caused him some trouble with other schools recruiting him. Chadwick was a Rivals 3-star player out of high school, and he comes from a strong basketball background: his father played at North Carolina under Dean Smith. I think his father is also a pastor.

valpotx

He will definitely be able to handle the academics at Valpo, as Rice is a VERY tough school to get into, let alone carry a 3.5 gpa.  Welcome to another 6'9" guy, who apparently can play outside as well given some 3-pt shots.
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Didn't Valpo have basketball connection at Rice?

vu72

What rebounding year?  After next year Bryce has already reloaded!  This is a great get and yes, at one point he did visit Valpo before originally commiting to Washington State and Tony Bennett.  A religous kid who was undoubtedly attracted to Valpo because of Bryce and others on the staff.

Here is a writeup from ESPN just after his commitment to Rice:

David Chadwick commits to RiceAccording to sources close to the situation, power forward David Chadwick has given Rice a verbal commitment.

The 6-foot-9 Charlotte, N.C. native originally signed a letter of intent with Washington State's 2009 class but decided to look elsewhere when head coach Tony Bennett took the Virginia job. He is currently spending a prep year at national power Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia.

"David's a power forward who can really score the basketball from inside and out," said ESPN.com's National Recruiting Director Paul Biancardi. "He's got range out to the college 3-point line and is also strong enough to post up and score inside.

"He's got a good set of skills for a 4 man and is an ideal 'pick-n-pop' player who will knock down jumpshots all day. He also gets a bunch of his points from the free throw line where he converts at a high percentage. David really does a great job playing within his capabilities and limits."

Chadwick can also defend his position by using his smarts.

"He's a solid defender who plays good position defense," said Biancardi. "David is also an effective rebounder who blocks out his man with good technique."

Overall, the Owls are getting a good one, according to Biancardi.

"What I like about this commitment is David comes in a year older and stronger and more experienced. His talents and basketball I.Q. allow him to execute well in the halfcourt setting and he'll come in and provide Rice with immediate frontcourt scoring.

"Rice is getting the total package with Chadwick. He's not only a great basketball player but he's an outstanding student and a terrific young man," Biancardi added.

Chadwick joins point guard Travon Abraham (Sacramento, Calif./Sacramento H.S.) and J.R. Reynolds (Chicago/Whitney Young H.S.) in the Owls' 2010 class.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

David's dad played for Dean Smith at North Carolina and is a pastor:

http://www.foresthill.org/who-we-are/david-chadwick.html

Valpo89

Quote from: covufan on April 24, 2012, 03:01:08 PM
Didn't Valpo have basketball connection at Rice?
Todd Smith was a long-time assistant there. I think he's been gone for a while now and is at a small school in Houston.

LaPorteAveApostle

so...a 3-star, but one with glowing comments from the then-director of National Scouting for ESPN...and can't get more than 1 ppg for Rice?  What gives?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

setshot

With all these goody,goody Christians coming to play ball at Valpo,perhaps we should change our fight song to:"Onward Christian Soldiers."

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: setshot on April 24, 2012, 04:47:42 PMWith all these goody,goody Christians coming to play ball at Valpo,perhaps we should change our fight song to:"Onward Christian Soldiers."

gee, call me crazy, but I thought that's what a Crusader already was...

sectionee

Quote from: setshot on April 24, 2012, 04:47:42 PMWith all these goody,goody Christians coming to play ball at Valpo,perhaps we should change our fight song to:"Onward Christian Soldiers."
You must not follow one of our incoming guys on twitter...goody goody this fellow is not, if you can go by the stuff he tweets. 

FWalum

Chadwick was also being looked by Butler back in 09.  This thread was started by wienerhund on the Butler board back in 2009.

QuoteDavid Chadwick - Possible 09 recruit

CHARLOTTE LATIN: David Chadwick, a 6-foot-9 wing/forward who recently got out of his letter-of-intent to play at Washington State, is drawing interest from more than 20 colleges, his father said.

David Chadwick Sr. said his son has been contacted by Rutgers, Colorado, Saint Louis, Creighton, Butler, New Mexico and Princeton, among others.

Chadwick signed with Washington State before coach Tony Bennett, a family friend, took the job at Virginia.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vufan75

I wonder what if anything is happening in the cases of Michael Orris, Alex Rossi, or Alex Dragicevich, potential recruits or college transfers who either Valpo expressed interest in or vice versa over the last several weeks? If one of them wanted to attend Valpo and play ball, would Bryce be interested in using the remaining scholarship on them or will he save it for next year? Orris is a point guard out of Illinois who with the coaching change decided not to attend U of I, and earlier Creighton. Both of the Alex guys are more shooting guards or maybe small forwards. Orris probably wants to go to a high-major school, but Rossi from Cal and Dragicevich from Notre Dame have been there and seem to be interested in hopefully the playing time mid-major's might have available vs. another high-major school. Rossi is considering Loyola and Valpo, and has a relative who works at Loyola that has to be checked with the NCAA I think? He's battled injury issues while at Cal. Dragicevich has more school's pursuing him, but did mention Valpo as one of the schools he is interested in looking into. Anyone with "sources" hear anything on any of these young men?   

valpopal

For what it is worth, from the Indy Star: Sam Logwood (2014):

Lawrence North forward Sam Logwood, who will be a junior in the fall, picked up his first scholarship offer this week, from Miami of Ohio.

"They saw me play in Merrillville (last weekend) and said they liked my athleticism," said Logwood, a 6-6, 200-pound forward.
Indiana and Purdue also have shown interest, as well as a number of other schools: Ball State, Dayton, Evansville, Indiana State, IPFW, IUPUI, Loyola (Ill.), Michigan, Valparaiso, Wichita State and Xavier.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: setshot on April 24, 2012, 04:47:42 PM
With all these goody,goody Christians coming to play ball at Valpo,perhaps we should change our fight song to:"Onward Christian Soldiers."

This has nothing to do with him as a player. If he can play, who cares?