• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Quote from: bbtds on June 23, 2012, 03:16:07 AM
I just noticed that a story was written on the recruiting power of Coach Powell. Roger's hiring could be the second most important staff hiring next to either Scott Drew or Bryce.

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1984:powell-emerging-as-a-force-at-valpo&catid=34:recruiting

This article reflects very positive compliments I have heard from local coaches about Powell. It is good to see the local talent in Chicago and Northwest Indiana giving Valpo a serious look once again due to Bryce and Powell. This also should be favorable for drawing fans to the ARC.

lowposter

VU should load up with Coach Powell's connections quickly.  I do not see him staying here much longer.  He is bigger than VU and my guess is at some point in time down the road, it will be mentioned his first college job was with Valparaiso University.

Great job of tapping into that Chicago market.

lowposter

sectionee

I agree with you 100%.  I kind of thought the Illinois might have given him an interview when they had their vacancy.

vu72

Quote from: sectionee on June 24, 2012, 01:10:41 PM
I agree with you 100%.  I kind of thought the Illinois might have given him an interview when they had their vacancy.

Are you serious?  A Big Ten school hiring a guy who had a total of ONE year coaching experience and that as an assistant?  No.  My guess is that Bryce will be gone in a couple of years, maybe after next if we go to the dance and win a game or two.  My next guess is that Roger will be given the opportunity to be our next Head Coach and that he will hold that position for  couple of years or longer depending on how successful he is.  Being a good recruiter is one thing but being a Head Coach is quite another.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

lowposter

My guess is Bryce will be gone after one more year and the next head coach will be a current head coach of an NAIA powerhouse who was one of the best point guards in VU's history.  Coaching issue will then be solved for years to come.  Coach Powell will be a force to be reconned with in the recruiting wars of Illinois and will be a head coach within 7 years, if not sooner.

This is a very special situation this year, the stars are alligned.  Enjoy it.

lowposter

vu72

Quote from: lowposter on June 25, 2012, 08:20:18 AM
My guess is Bryce will be gone after one more year and the next head coach will be a current head coach of an NAIA powerhouse who was one of the best point guards in VU's history.  Coaching issue will then be solved for years to come.  Coach Powell will be a force to be reconned with in the recruiting wars of Illinois and will be a head coach within 7 years, if not sooner.

lowposter

You may be correct but that outcome doesn't follow what Mark LaBarbera said when Bryce was considering Miss State.  He essentially said that Bryce leaving was a foregone conclusion, contract or not, and that a "succession plan" of sorts needed to be/was in place alla Butler's theory.  Butler has lost several coaches to bigger programs and the successor has always been an assistant not an outsider. 

Let's hope we have a few years with this group of coaches but I am a realist regarding loyalty in today's world.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: lowposter on June 25, 2012, 08:20:18 AM

lowposter

I hope Bryce stays longer, especially with the strong recruiting class coming to VU in 2013. Then, if Bryce eventually leaves, even though our "NAIA coach" would be a fine selection, there are a number of reasons to expect Powell would be the first to be interviewed for the head coaching position: he is a good coach; he is an excellent recruiter; many of the players would be ones Powell recruited; he would represent continuity with Bryce's style of coaching; like Bryce, he has NBA experience, which adds credibility and authority in the eyes of young players; he is a compelling personality; he is a man of faith pleased to be at a religious university; he is from the area and has great connections with the region's high school coaches; he enjoys the University and the Valparaiso community; he is young and energetic; he would be the first African American head basketball coach at Valpo, etc.

lowposter

You guys are probably right.  I wasnt aware of the comment made by the AD. 

lowposter

vu84v2

Valpopal - I know this diverges a bit from the topic, but do you really feel that an important factor in hiring athletic coaches or faculty is that they are "people of faith"?  If so, who chooses the right faith for coaches and faculty?  If someone has a strong jewish, muslim, hindu, buddhist, catholic or liberal protestant faith - are they eligible?  And if they are not eligible, is that ethical?

valpopal

Quote from: vu84v2 on June 25, 2012, 01:13:15 PM
Valpopal - I know this diverges a bit from the topic, but do you really feel that an important factor in hiring athletic coaches or faculty is that they are "people of faith"?  If so, who chooses the right faith for coaches and faculty?  If someone has a strong jewish, muslim, hindu, buddhist, catholic or liberal protestant faith - are they eligible?  And if they are not eligible, is that ethical?

Good question, though not about what I suggested. I was certainly not indicating that one's personal beliefs should be a qualification. I personally know excellent members of the university from the many faiths you list. Please note the brief piece I wrote on this topic: "he is a man of faith pleased to be at a religious university." I was only pointing out that as a person of faith Powell feels comfortable at a religious institution like Valparaiso, nothing more, and I think it is important that the candidate enjoy being at Valpo.   

IndyValpo

From today's Indianapolis Star.....

Mooresville forward Jacob Johnson has visits lined up to Valparaiso (Monday), Butler (Tuesday) and Indiana State (Wednesday).
Plymouth 6-8 junior Mack Mercer picked up offers from Ball State and Indiana State.
Michigan City Marquette sophomore Ryan Fazekas will visit Illinois on Wednesday.
Richmond sophomore guard Joel Okafor picked up an offer from Wright State
Warren Central 2012 grad Brent Calhoun has reopened his recruitment (or had it reopened for him by Detroit). The 6-8 Calhoun took an official visit to Niagara over the weekend and will likely visit Winthrop this week as well.

crusaderboy

I would imagine this is Roger Powell's last season at Valpo. He already has too many recruiting victories not to be picked up by a power-conference school who sees all of his plusses.

valpotx

I have to agree with that assertion.  With some of the wins he has on the recruiting side, a larger will school will definitely bring him into the fold as an AC.  I don't see him as a viable option as a Valpo HC in the future, as he will be given that opportunity somewhere else first.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

valpopal - thank you for the very thoughtful answer.  Your points are well take and I agree that Valparaiso is a very good environment.

VULB#62

I think we all kinda knew what ValpoPal meant by a man of faith.  In my brain I immediately went to a secular version:  Quality?  -- I can't always describe it, but I know it when I see it.  Powell impresses me in the same way.  Great dialogue though.

vu84v2

In thinking about it, it seems that having a "coaching succession" plan makes a lot of sense.  I think that you always worry about the impact on new recruits as well as the reputation that your program is just a stepping stone.  But when you think about it, all programs other than the very upper echelon (Duke, NC, Michigan State, Kansas, etc.) all face this to some extent.  Businesses face the same challenges with top management - you need to have a plan to develop and/or bring in good leaders in case your leader retires, takes on a different challenge, etc.  Kansas faced this with Danny Manning leaving for the Tulsa head coaching job (I don't mean to be excessively Kansas-centric).  He was credited with developing the best big man development program in the country with Robinson, the Morris twins, Cole Aldrich, etc. all being great examples of developing successful big men.  They just had to have a succession plan to replace Manning (my guess is that Powell is probably the Valpo version of Danny Manning as a coach at Kansas).

As far as head coaches, my guess is that many tell recruits that they will be there during the player's four years at the school - even if they have potential ideas to go elsewhere.  I would also guess that highly ethical people like Bryce are more honest (but general) and communicate the strength of the program and the university's commitment to continuity of a quality program.  Again, I don't know Bryce - this is just my opinion based on the previous highly ethical practices of him and his father.

LaPorteAveApostle

Coaching succession is a great idea--but I do have to poke a couple of holes in your "upper echelon" argument.  Every 3 or 4 years MSU has to deal with an Izzo-to-the-NBA situation--as did Duke with Krzyzewski--and dare I remind the Kansas fan that a certain coach left them to go to another "upper echelon school"? ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

Don't forget that many of today's current recruiting issues are more "parental pressure" because the parent only looks at the money, rather than the reality of what their student-athlete is as a player. Some live too vicariously because they weren't as good, or didn't have the same drive their kid does, so rather than just being real about what the kid can be, they want to be the kid and hope for always being on tv and the starter that gets all the talk, when the kid needs time to develop into the player he will become. Men's basketball is one of the worst culprits of this philosophy because of the money involved with AAU teams, television contracts and exposure on ESPN/CBS, and how the sport is so high profile with all the potential prospects and overhype. We're sorta seeing this with the news about Jared Sullinger's back and how his dad is handling the discussion with the media and NBA scouts with the draft coming up, and now Sullinger might not be as highly drafted as previously expected.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valporun on June 26, 2012, 10:30:13 AMWe're sorta seeing this with the news about Jared Sullinger's back and how his dad is handling the discussion with the media and NBA scouts with the draft coming up, and now Sullinger might not be as highly drafted as previously expected.

While I agree with your general premise, I don't feel your example could be more wrong.  Satch Sullinger, from everything I've seen and read, has been an ideal sports dad--and I'm a Michigan Man, fergodsakes.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu84v2

LaPorte - You are absolutely right that the upper echelon programs have to deal with possible succession, though I believe it is less of an impact since there are fewer places to go.  Your point on Williams leaving is correct, and Kansas always has to have some minimal concern about T Boone Pickens enabling a "blank check" for Okla St. to hire away Self.  The good news is that Self seems to really like it here and now his son is walking on to play at KU.

And for clarity...while I am a Kansas fan now, my first loyalty is to Valparaiso.

LaPorteAveApostle

I agree with you--and while I am a Michigan Man, my first loyalty will be to Valpo, for various reasons.

This was brought home to me rather forcefully when I realized VU could play UM in the softball regional...thankfully it didn't come down to that.

I will never forget going to Crisler Arena when I was at UM to cheer on Jeannette Gray and the Lady Crusaders in the WNIT...after standing with about a dozen other VU fans and cheering us to victory, I said to the guys next to me--"you know what the best part is?" and showed them my UM ID card :)

vu84v2

Your comment about the women's team is similar to my experience going to the men's tourney game at Washington.  I counted 5 people (including me) supporting Valpo.

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on February 20, 2012, 12:28:23 PM
Quote from: MattCarter on February 19, 2012, 11:14:49 PM
ESPN lists two players listed as considering for 2013 (to go along with Yeo and Davidson)

Robert Knar.  A point guard.  2 star, 80 grade. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/137819/robert-knar

Steve Haney.  6'6" forward. 3 start, 90 grade. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/104906/steve-haney

Here is an old thread about Haney, who would be great to get but is most likely a long shot:
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=222.msg3277#msg3277

Word is that Steve Haney has committed to UCF.

vu72

valpopal

Quote from: wh on June 08, 2012, 04:46:18 PM
Quote from: valpopal on May 21, 2012, 09:39:33 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on May 17, 2012, 05:53:58 PM
this topic is getting a long way away from "recruiting" as I understand recruiting...facilities are one thing but I think of recruiting as info regarding signees or potential ones

Getting back to "recruiting": word is that Mack Mercer 6'8" from Plymouth HS (2014) will visit Valpo June 6.

Any word on how Mercer's visit went?

Mercer reports receiving three offers thus far. I believe they are Indiana State, Ball State, and Kent State. No word on an offer from VU yet.