• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

historyman, I understand your opinion on the Butler talk, but we're comparing them to us, in recruiting, based on Alec Peters, so this Butler discussion is relevant. If we were just reminiscing about how we wish Butler was still in the HL, then yes..I would agree that this should be in a different category. I like the recruiting discussion about Peters, sounds like a good kid that could be fruitful in our program.

vu72

Quote from: valporun on August 25, 2012, 10:20:00 AM
historyman, I understand your opinion on the Butler talk, but we're comparing them to us, in recruiting, based on Alec Peters, so this Butler discussion is relevant. If we were just reminiscing about how we wish Butler was still in the HL, then yes..I would agree that this should be in a different category. I like the recruiting discussion about Peters, sounds like a good kid that could be fruitful in our program.
[/b]

I like your muted opinion, but, this kid would be a HUGE get for Valpo and really open some eyes concerning Bryce's recruiting stature.  He is getting high major offers, not just looks.  His stock has gone through the roof this last summer. He would be the "icing" on our recruiting class.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

The discussion had turned to what kind of recruits Butler was getting due to their 2 National Championship games. I think it is fine to talk about how Butler's change in recruiting will affect Valpo's recruiting but so will Evansville's and Notre Dame's change in recruiting. Valpo fans still have a sense that Butler's actions affect Valpo more. They simply don't.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

setshot

Historyman: It appears that you are becoming the Censor-In-Chief. Why? :o

historyman

Quote from: setshot on Today at 11:09:35 AM

Historyman: It appears that you are becoming the Censor-In-Chief. Why?

I just like to point out that in the past we have had a fixation with Butler, myself included, that was irrational and makes Butler seem more important than they really are to Valpo. In reality Butler is no different to Valpo than Evansville or Notre Dame which are also private schools within Indiana that are not in our conference. I think it's important now to keep that within perspective. Butler will soon be as irrelevant in the A-10 as Evansville has been in the Mo Valley lately.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

historyman, thou art a prophet.  i second that emotion.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

EddieCabot

Quote from: historyman on August 25, 2012, 11:02:30 AM
The discussion had turned to what kind of recruits Butler was getting due to their 2 National Championship games. I think it is fine to talk about how Butler's change in recruiting will affect Valpo's recruiting but so will Evansville's and Notre Dame's change in recruiting. Valpo fans still have a sense that Butler's actions affect Valpo more. They simply don't.

Very well stated.  What Butler does going forward has absolutely no impact on Valpo.  They play in a different conference and recruit different kids (Peters being the once a decade exception).  Now that they don't share a conference, the teams won't be playing and really have very little in common.  Things will go back to the way they were before 2006, when you didn't care what Butler was doing.   

wh

Scott Burgess @scott_chihoops
Class of 2013 Washington HS SF Alec Peters will be taking officials the next two weekends to Illinois St Sept 8 and Valpo Sept 15.

One source reports that Valpo and Illinois State may be Peters' top 2 choices and final 2 official visits.  I'm hoping that the fact that he began his search with an unofficial visit to Valpo and is ending it with an official visit says that we are his top choice at this point.

valpotx

Makes sense, since he will have a chance to play solid minutes as a FR at Valpo, and we are a better program/school than Illinois State
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusadermoe

I think Valpo COULD INDEED become a peer and then make a case they are "better program" than Illinois State.   I can buy "better school".
But realistically I think they are an MVC school that has contended and won that tournament over the last few years.   
Of course Peters may pick Valpo for the reasons you say and the school itself.     Hope he does.  Would be a key "get".

covufan

Quote from: crusadermoe on September 04, 2012, 09:12:06 AM
I think Valpo COULD INDEED become a peer and then make a case they are "better program" than Illinois State.   I can buy "better school".
But realistically I think they are an MVC school that has contended and won that tournament over the last few years.   
Of course Peters may pick Valpo for the reasons you say and the school itself.     Hope he does.  Would be a key "get".

And working with Bryce - a coach that has NBA playing experience.

valpopal

Quote from: covufan on September 04, 2012, 11:16:41 AM

... as well as Roger Powell, who also has some NBA experience and like Peters is an Illinois product.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on September 04, 2012, 12:16:39 PM
Quote from: covufan on September 04, 2012, 11:16:41 AM

... as well as Roger Powell, who also has some NBA experience and like Peters is an Illinois product.

... and was a physical player who played the same position at Illinois that Peters will be playing.  Who better to prepare him to be successful at the next level? 

valpotx

Where do you get the information that they are a better program? Outside of this last season where they finished runner-up in the tournament (#4 in regular season), they are typically a low to mid-table team in the MVC, which we would be better than.  I don't see anything that would put them above us, as they haven't been to the NCAA tournament since 1998, and like us, have some recent tier 2/3 tournaments...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_State_Redbirds_men's_basketball
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Valley_Conference_Men's_Basketball_Tournament

"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Agreed - we are in the process of separating ourselves from mids like Illinois State.  In the last 2 seasons our record and RPI were better, we won a regular league title, and went to the NIT.  With the talent we have in place and more on the way, the 2 programs shouldn't be anywhere close going forward.  Our program is on the upswing big time.

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on September 04, 2012, 02:09:14 PM
I think Valpo COULD INDEED become a peer and then make a case they are "better program" than Illinois State.   I can buy "better school". But realistically I think they are an MVC school that has contended and won that tournament over the last few years.   

Where do you get the information that they are a better program? Outside of this last season where they finished runner-up in the tournament (#4 in regular season), they are typically a low to mid-table team in the MVC, which we would be better than.  I don't see anything that would put them above us, as they haven't been to the NCAA tournament since 1998, and like us, have some recent tier 2/3 tournaments...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_State_Redbirds_men's_basketball
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Valley_Conference_Men's_Basketball_Tournament

And you can "buy" that Valpo is a better school?  Really?  ISU isn't in the same league academically and I think Peters is focused on academics as well.  I would think that Boston College may be our biggest competitor now that he has dropped Butler from his list.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on September 04, 2012, 02:25:03 PM
And you can "buy" that Valpo is a better school?  Really?  ISU isn't in the same league academically and I think Peters is focused on academics as well.  I would think that Boston College may be our biggest competitor now that he has dropped Butler from his list.

Great for Valpo to make his final list and they should have a good chance.  IMO, it's really hard to pick a favorite because all of us know very little about what's most important to him.  But before counting ISU out, here are a few things that could be working in their favor:

1.  Proximity.  45 minutes from home versus 3 1/2 hours to Valpo.  Could be important if his parents/family want to attend most/all of his games.
2.  Playing time.  He's stated he wants to be able to play/contribute right away.  He may be able to do that better at ISU, instead of trying to break into a loaded Valpo rotation.
3.  Facilities.  I haven't toured the entire campus, but Redbird Arena is one of my favorite college venues in the midwest. 
4.  Conference affiliation and tournament.  The MVC has consistently been more highly rated (in RPI and NCAA bids) than the Horizon and it's hard to beat Arch Madness.

All that stuff may matter a lot or may not matter at all.  That's why it's so difficult for outsiders to figure out what kids are going to decide. 

justducky

Quote from: wh on September 04, 2012, 02:24:15 PM
Agreed - we are in the process of separating ourselves from mids like Illinois State.  In the last 2 seasons our record and RPI were better, we won a regular league title, and went to the NIT.  With the talent we have in place and more on the way, the 2 programs shouldn't be anywhere close going forward.  Our program is on the upswing big time.
Whether or not  we are a program that is now prepared to pull well ahead of theirs, plus the academics could be the deciding factors; or not. There is always some pressure  on talented kids to play for the local team and by this standard Illinois St. would have the edge.

My question is more about why shouldn't both Illinois St. and Bradley be regularly on the schedule? They are both MVC, nearby mid majors who likely have just as much trouble getting quality home games as we do. If Peters does commit to Valpo I wouldn't be surprised to see a home and away attempted with one or both but I would like to see it even if he goes elsewhere.

valpopal

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 04, 2012, 04:37:27 PM

2.  Playing time.  He's stated he wants to be able to play/contribute right away.  He may be able to do that better at ISU, instead of trying to break into a loaded Valpo rotation.

If Peters comes to Valpo, I have no doubt he will get major playing time his first year, most likely as a starter. He will step perfectly into the spot vacated by Rowdy's graduation.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on September 04, 2012, 05:22:24 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on September 04, 2012, 04:37:27 PM

If Peters comes to Valpo, I have no doubt he will get major playing time his first year, most likely as a starter. He will step perfectly into the spot vacated by Rowdy's graduation.
[/b]

I think that spot will go to Alex Rossi. Peters sounds more like a four rather than a three although his good shooting would make him a possiblity at the three. The question is, can he defend the 3, and I think we all will see Rossi's defense very soon.
So then what about the four spot?  It would appear that either Bobby or David Chadwick would be the starter with Vashil as the backup at the five, maybe he starts with David as the backup. Peters then could be the backup at the four and still get playing time, ala Richie Edwards and then step into a starting role the next year.

vubballfan10

It seems to me as though Peters is clearly a 4, especially in the HL.  That's what he is listed at on rivals.com:
http://http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Alec-Peters-142859

Not that it is too early but here is an idea for the rotation in 2013-14 if Valpo gets Peters

5: Bobby Capobianco     Vashil Fernandez
4: Alec Peters                 David Chadwick
3: Alex Rossi                   Jabril Adekoya
2: Jordan Coleman         Clay Yeo                    Nick Davidson
1: Lavonte Dority            Tommy Kurth            Lexus Williams

sectionee

72, you are too caught up on defense. Bryce played a ton of zone very effectively. If the guy can defend his area and double team the way Valpo does out of that zone he can play any spot on offense.

vu72

I can only tell you what was said to me, regarding Rowdy's ability to play the 3, and it came from a VERY highly placed unnamed source:  "it depends on his ability to guard the 3"

I'll leave it at that.

sectionee

We are talking about winning College basketball games and not about Rowdy's shot at playing in he NBa right? Your high ranked unnamed source told you something everybody already knows?! I think this would be an interesting topic on a different thread.  Please forgive my typos, it's tough typing on an IPod.

vu72

the topic was whether or not Rowdy could/would play the 3 in college. The pro question never came up.