• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Quote from: humbleopinion on September 24, 2012, 03:50:47 PM
I keep hoping to see someone quote a tweet that says he's ready to wear brown and gold.

What was the name of the player from a few years ago that was close to signing with Valpo and then was recruited away by Tennessee?

Coincidentally, Peters apparently received an offer from Tennessee today, which doesn't change my opinion that Valparaiso is the best fit for him. I hope Alec and his family agree.

BigDFromUIC

Quote from: vu72 on September 24, 2012, 11:14:48 AM
My understanding is that he wants to study engineering. Valpo's undergrad engineering college is ranked 17th in the nation by US News.  The other candidates don't matchup in this regard.

Valpo is ranked 17th among schools that don't offer a doctorate in engineering.  Who knows where you'd place on the list of all schools...but my guess is much, much lower.  Not trying to bash your program; I'm sure it's great.  But, I think it's unfair to say nobody else matches up with you.  You're comparing apples and oranges.

vu72

Quote from: BigDFromUIC on September 24, 2012, 08:32:49 PM
My understanding is that he wants to study engineering. Valpo's undergrad engineering college is ranked 17th in the nation by US News.  The other candidates don't matchup in this regard.

Valpo is ranked 17th among schools that don't offer a doctorate in engineering.  Who knows where you'd place on the list of all schools...but my guess is much, much lower.  Not trying to bash your program; I'm sure it's great.  But, I think it's unfair to say nobody else matches up with you.  You're comparing apples and oranges.

Thanks for interjecting something into which you know very little. First off, I presume Alec will be seeking an UNDERGRADUATE degree so your "don't offer a doctorate" doesn't make any sense at all.  Next I'll simply say that if you look at Valpo's engineering site, you will see reference to a solar furnace. It will allow Valpo UNDERGRADS to do research at a level unheard of at almost any engineering program.  Valpo is the ONLY undergraduate institution with such a device.  MIT has been to Valpo to see what is going on.  How do you like them "apples"??

And for the record, I should have said that Valpo's engineering program was superior to the front runners.  I'm sure Rice's program is terrific as well, but I doubt
Alec is leaning toward the Owls.

http://www.valpo.edu/engineering/solar/index.php
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

BigDFromUIC

Quote from: vu72 on September 24, 2012, 09:28:22 PM
Quote from: BigDFromUIC on September 24, 2012, 08:32:49 PM

Thanks for interjecting something into which you know very little. First off, I presume Alec will be seeking an UNDERGRADUATE degree so your "don't offer a doctorate" doesn't make any sense at all.  Next I'll simply say that if you look at Valpo's engineering site, you will see reference to a solar furnace. It will allow Valpo UNDERGRADS to do research at a level unheard of at almost any engineering program.  Valpo is the ONLY undergraduate institution with such a device.  MIT has been to Valpo to see what is going on.  How do you like them "apples"??

And for the record, I should have said that Valpo's engineering program was superior to the front runners.  I'm sure Rice's program is terrific as well, but I doubt
Alec is leaning toward the Owls.

You may want to think twice before accusing somebody of knowing very little when a quick search at US News proves that you're the one that knows very little.  My logic makes perfect sense.  US News ranks engineering schools separately....there are those that offer doctorate degrees and those that don't.  However, for each group, the undergraduate program is ranked.  For instance, MIT is ranked as having the #1 undergrad engineering program amongst schools that offer doctorates.  Immediately, this would drop you to #18 (if you think your program is better than MIT's, you're off your rocker)...then drop Valpo much further when you bring in Stanford, CIT, Berkeley, UIUC, Michigan, etc.

So, someone like Peters should not just look at the list Valpo is in.  If you were a counselor advising him to discount MIT for Valpo, I'd fire you in a heartbeat.

I don't have access to the full set of rankings, nor do I know who the front runners for Peters are, but I am curious why you think you're ahead of the front runners.  What we have here is homerism at its finest.  You point to one example of a solar furnace?  I can guarantee you that MIT and most of the other schools on the doctorate list are doing many things that Valpo couldn't even think about doing (and in a wide variety of areas).  You simply can't compete with the resources (both amount of teachers/researchers and money) that these big doctorate schools funnel into cutting-edge research and education.

wh

There are about 180 engineering programs in the undergraduate group (MS terminal) and 150 in the doctorate group.  Both have a small pct. of outstanding programs all the way down to some real slugs and everything between - really no different than any other degree program.  The fact that one group offers a doctorate does not in and of itself make that group superior.  It also does not mean that their BS degrees are superior just because they happen to also offer a doctorate in that degree program.  Case in point - Chicago State.  They offer doctorate programs.  In their case it simply represents one more level of educational mediocrity.  The bottom line is if the two decks were merged, Valpo's very highly regarded Engineering program would still be a frontrunner when comparing undergraduate programs (apples to apples).  Yes, they would be behind MIT and some other best-of-the-best Engineering schools in the other group, but they would definitely be ahead of the majority of average and below average programs in that group - especially when compared to a lot of secondary state schools with the usual array of average programs and lower admission standards.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.  It appears that neither of the 2 other reported front runners - Boston College and Illinois State - has an Engineering program.  ISU offers Engrg. Tech., which is a lower level general engrg. degree.

FWalum

Quote from: humbleopinion on September 24, 2012, 03:50:47 PMWhat was the name of the player from a few years ago that was close to signing with Valpo and then was recruited away by Tennessee?
I believe you are talking about Chris Lofton. Despite being named Mr. Basketball in Kentucky, neither Louisville or Kentucky thought that Lofton had what it took to be a big time D1 guard.  It appeared that all the major D1 programs had filled their scholarships and so VU went a courting.  We had an opportunity to get Lofton but then Tennessee came in and snatched him up at the last second.  Lofton became on of the best three point shooter in college basketball history.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

BigDFromUIC

Quote from: wh on September 24, 2012, 11:43:11 PM
There are about 180 engineering programs in the undergraduate group (MS terminal) and 150 in the doctorate group.  Both have a small pct. of outstanding programs all the way down to some real slugs and everything between - really no different than any other degree program.  The fact that one group offers a doctorate does not in and of itself make that group superior.  It also does not mean that their BS degrees are superior just because they happen to also offer a doctorate in that degree program.  Case in point - Chicago State.  They offer doctorate programs.  In their case it simply represents one more level of educational mediocrity.  The bottom line is if the two decks were merged, Valpo's very highly regarded Engineering program would still be a frontrunner when comparing undergraduate programs (apples to apples).  Yes, they would be behind MIT and some other best-of-the-best Engineering schools in the other group, but they would definitely be ahead of the majority of average and below average programs in that group - especially when compared to a lot of secondary state schools with the usual array of average programs and lower admission standards.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.  It appears that neither of the 2 other reported front runners - Boston College and Illinois State - has an Engineering program.  ISU offers Engrg. Tech., which is a lower level general engrg. degree.
If Boston College and ISU are the front-runners and don't have engineering, then you are certainly correct in saying Valpo would be ahead of them.  My problem with vu72's statement is that saying Valpo is #17 in the nation is misleading.  It's only #17 among non-doctorate schools.  It's not #17 overall.  You can't even say that Valpo would definitely be ahead of a majority of average programs.  How do you know?  Sure, you'd be above a school like Chicago State, but there is no way to tell where Valpo would fit in overall if you merged the lists.  And, you can't really merge them because it is apples and oranges...this is the whole reason for two lists.  The doctorate schools, on average, have more resources at their disposal and, therefore, attract big-time researchers/professors, and this funnels down to the students in terms of advanced research opportunities, advanced graduate level courses (which may be taken by undergrads), and so on.  The non-doctorate schools simply don't offer the same opportunities to the same degree.  And I'm not saying there are no advantages to attending a non-doctorate engineering program like Valpo's...I'm sure there are things you get there (smaller class size, more personal attention, etc.) that you can't get at a school like MIT, or even UIC.

vu72

Quote from: BigDFromUIC on September 25, 2012, 08:14:19 AMMy problem with vu72's statement is that saying Valpo is #17 in the nation is misleading.  It's only #17 among non-doctorate schools.

Your try at knocking what I said has only one problem.  I didn't say that it was #17 in the nation.

Here is a copy of my original post:

Note the "undergrad" notation.  It was a broad statement and I added later, I should have said "among the supposed leaders", with no disrespect to the academic reputation of a school like Rice.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

Schools with and without doctorate programs are ranked separately for a reason - they are very different types of schools and the faculty is compensated and promoted via very different standards.  There are pluses and minuses to each.  Valpo engineering has great research for a non-doctorate school and great people who lead those research efforts.  That said, if you really want to work with top researchers you will find more potential opportunities at large well-renowned public and private schools (or a few special private ones).

Valpo is a truly great engineering school because of teaching and the hands on personal nature of the faculty.  At the big doctorate schools, you will have 100s of people in your math, science and lower level engineering courses and the course will mostly be taught by TAs.  Valpo has faculty teach every class at every level, the class sizes are smaller and far more personal, and the help and support plentiful.  Few doctorate schools could reach Valpo in its quality of teaching and working with undergraduates because of how the programs are structured....along with the great nature of the people.

vu72

Found this report from the Chicago Sun-Times, which ranks the Illinois top 25 players in the class of 2013.  If we get Peters (ranked No.11) we would have 3 in the top 25.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsreport/2012/08/after_dust_has_settled_the_top.html

VULB#62

I'm impressed with the write-ups on all three.  These are the kind of kids Valpo needs and, conversely, Valpo is the kind of school that will optimise these kids as persons as well as athletes.

lowposter

I didnt see Peters this summer, but Taphorn (rated just below Peters) is flat out a shooter.  If Peters is rated the best shooter, over Taphorn, then this kid can flat out stroke.

Taphorn is going to Northwestern and is limited in his game (spot up shooter), but has the size to be effective on the wing. 

Should be an interesting game when Washington and Pekin meet.

lowposter

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on September 24, 2012, 05:46:49 PM
Quote from: humbleopinion on September 24, 2012, 03:50:47 PM
I keep hoping to see someone quote a tweet that says he's ready to wear brown and gold.

What was the name of the player from a few years ago that was close to signing with Valpo and then was recruited away by Tennessee?

Coincidentally, Peters apparently received an offer from Tennessee today, which doesn't change my opinion that Valparaiso is the best fit for him. I hope Alec and his family agree.

Just checked the Tennessee fan boards. They seem puzzled by their offer to Peters, a couple calling it "a head scratcher" and indicating they believe he'd get very little playing time if he went there. If Alec comes to Valpo, I believe he works his way into the starting lineup his freshman year.

wh

Similar to the Pearl Tenn. teams, their roster is built on speed and athleticism from top to bottom.  In general, that's how the SEC rolls.  Martin must be thinking it never hurts to have someone who can shoot the ball in certain situations. 

lowposter

Penetrate and kick...gotta have someone on the perimeter to make the defense pay to pack the lane.

vu72

Anybody have a Chicagohoops membership?  There is an article just posted concerning Alec and his visit to Valpo.

prepbullseye

Regarding Alec Peters:

Gavin Sullivan ‏@PeoriaIrish
Big Day Today!!! Fall League In the Morning & my man @petersalec makes his choice tonight! Pumped for the day ahead!

Roy Schmidt ‏@prepbullseye Per @PeoriaIrish 6'7 2013 WF Alec Peters will announce his college choice tonight. Will choose from between IL St, Valpo or BC.

LaPorteAveApostle

thanks, prepbullzeye.  gotta feel good about us being the last visit before the announcement.

now, if we could just get HLN to livestream... : )
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Alec Peters tweet from last night:

Alec Peters
@petersalec
God is great!
10:25pm - 29 Sep 12 

Alec has taken his time and has undoubtedly given this decision much thought, and probably some prayer as well.  Whatever he decides I hope it works out well for him.

valpopal

I am hearing Peters selected Valpo, and I am waiting for official word!

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on September 30, 2012, 06:32:18 PM
I am hearing Peters selected Valpo, and I am waiting for official word!

Just got a confirmation; Welcome Alec Peters!   :thumbsup:

vufan75

This is just GREAT news!!!! I am so happy that Alec chose Valpo, given the multitude of scholarship offers he had. A VERY big "get" for Valpo, and personally I look forward to watching Alec and the whole incoming recruiting class for 2013 develop during their college years, personally as outstanding young men committed to excelling in the classroom as well as on the basketball court. And our coaching staff deserves a big "well done" on putting together this kind of recruiting class for Valpo!!! IMO, we are so blessed at Valpo to have the type of coaches that we do. 

WELCOME to the VALPO family, Alec!! 

The link below is from earlier this evening in the Illinois Prep Bulls-eye announcing Alec's Valpo commitment.
http://ilprepbullseye.com/Peters_Valpo.html

And Alec's tweet announcing his decision:
"Committed to Valparaiso!!! #Crusaders #ValpoBound"

VULB#62

These stood out to me from the article:

"Another factor that very much came into play with Peter's decision is something that actually has very little to do with basketball.  It is the fact that Peters has strong religious convictions and he felt that Valparaiso offers him the opportunity for spiritual development which coincides with his beliefs.  From a basketball standpoint, there is no question that Peters can step in at Valpo and be an immediate impact player in the Horizon League."

And....

"Above everything else, he and his family feel a very close relationship with Drew.  Peters hit it off with the Crusaders head coach from the moment that he began recruiting him and is excited about the opportunity to play for him."
Duh! Who wouldn't?

And....

"What is also most significant about Peters' commitment is that it firmly establishes Crusaders assistant coach Roger Powell as an elite recruiter in Illinois.  Powell was the lead recruiter on all three of Valpo's Illinois-based commitments in the 2013 class."
What a hire!

He could have played in the ACC for a religiously affiliated university (BC) yet he chose little 'ole VU.  Cool!

lowposter

VU had better find a higher position/ more $$$ for Coach Powell.  He will attract considerable attention very quickly at a higher level (University of Illinois?).  He mined the Illinois talent pool quite well. 

Was there anyone that VU "missed" in their recruiting?  Not sure if he had anything to do with Yeo or Davidson, but he definately pulled in the Illinois talent, a market which has been a minor factor lately.

lowposter

valpotx

Awesome get from the sounds of it!  Hopefully we can keep Powell around for another year or two, but I am sure he will get his opportunities.  The thing I worry about is whether or not Bryce will coach some of these guys each time they commit past this year.  He will be getting even better offers after this season...
"Don't mess with Texas"