• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpo89

I started this thread 1 year and 12 days ago. Amazing you guys have kept it going for so long. And my original intention was just to talk about the kid from LC, Tyler Wideman.

talksalot

Quote from: Valpo89 on December 08, 2012, 01:58:26 PM. I'm pretty sure VU played Centenary in the second game the next day at the Dr. Pepper Classic, and won. The stories I wrote back then (1993?) are not archived online anywhere, because there was no such thing as "online" back then.

Game #2 of the 1992-93 season Dr. Pepper Classic @ Baylor (Bears 104-Vu 87); Game 2:  Centenary 92, Valpo 89...  we then came home to lose to Evansville by 7, beat Ball State... then lost to Brown, Niagara, Butler, Wright State and Northern Illinois on our way to a 12-16 season.   Not sure what the question was...

justducky

Triton HS and Clay Yeo will play at New Prairie tonight (Dec 14) at 7:00 cst. This may be as close as they come into our area this season and the LaPorte county blizzards are not yet blowing, so something to consider. Nick Davidson and Andrean will also be playing tonight against Kankakee Valley at Wheatfield 7:30 and depending on my available time I might lean that direction.

I noticed that Triton had earlier played Plymouth with Triton losing 63-43. Yeo had 15 in that game and 6-9" Mack Mercer ( a junior that we have discussed before) had 19. So far Mercer has a 19.8 average and I think he may be still verbally uncommited?

justducky

Quote from: justducky on December 14, 2012, 12:36:08 PMTriton HS and Clay Yeo will play at New Prairie tonight (Dec 14) at 7:00 cst
Oops! That game is actually at Triton (Bourbon Indiana) and that would elliminate the short drive advantage. Sorry for the confusion.

Smj

Looks like Marist High School game is streaming on hscube tonight....

valpopal

Alec Peters scores 31 points to keep his team undefeated: "...Washington led 21-17 with 4:52 to play in the half, then hit four 3-pointers in a row — three by Peters — to make it 33-17 with three minutes left."

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/preps/x1353220370/Washington-boys-prevail-over-the-Potters

Clay Yeo again outscores opposing team with 29 points: "The Trojans outscored the Cougars 24-6 in the second half and Yeo netted 29 points in a 51-27 victory in the Northern State Conference opener for both teams. Senior star Yeo, for the second straight game, outscored the entire other team. The Valparaiso University recruit fired in 37 points Tuesday night during a 72-36 road win at Bethany Christian."

http://www.staceypageonline.com/2012/12/14/defense-plus-yeo-equal-triton-win/

Nick Davidson leads all in scoring and rebounds in win: "To be honest, we've got a lot of things we need to work on," said Andrean senior guard Nick Davidson, who led all scorers with 24 points and pulled down a team-high eight rebounds. "Give Wheeler credit. They played really hard, but this wasn't one of our best efforts."

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/highschools/17001123-419/boys-basketball-niners-not-completely-pleased-with-win.html

Lexus Williams scores 14 and gets 7 steals in loss:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-1215-prep-bkb-st-viator-marist-20121214,0,1015069.story

Jubril Adekoya leads team to victory: Andrew 49 Bradley 39,  Adekoya 18 points, 14 boards [No link available yet]

justducky

For anybody who might now be ready to throw in the towel and focus on next year I see that Warsaw will travel to Triton for a Tuesday (Dec 18) night H.S. matchup at 6:30 central. Warsaw may be the best remaining regular season opponent on the Triton schedule and should be a real test for Clay Yeo's abilities and potential. Anybody up for chartering a bus?  :)

I did make it to a Nick Davidson game and saw someone with an excellent 3 point stroke who if overplayed can actually drive toward the paint and if stopped pull up to take good looking 12 to 16 foot jumpers. I know that shot is relic from past generations but I am kind of hoping that our entire incoming class can shoot it like him. No they were not playing a great opponent but Andrean H.S. and Davidson were both very impressive.

justducky

Quote from: justducky on December 17, 2012, 11:47:29 PMFor anybody who might now be ready to throw in the towel and focus on next year I see that Warsaw will travel to Triton for a Tuesday (Dec 18) night H.S. matchup at 6:30 central. Warsaw may be the best remaining regular season opponent on the Triton schedule and should be a real test for Clay Yeo's abilities and potential. Anybody up for chartering a bus? 
Why did I talk myself out of going? 17 lead changes, some last few second Yeo heroics, a controversial Yeo charging call which might have ended all Warsaw hope a minute earlier, Yeo with 33 of Tritons 49 points vs Warsaw with 47. Sounded like (from WRSW Warsaw) a number of local high school teams were there including Tippy Valley, Northwood and Plymouth and that Mack Mercer and the Plymouth team went on the floor to congratulate Yeo and the Trojans. But I decided to stay home  :'(

wh

bbtds

I hope we are not overhyping these recruits but they do sound like players we could really use.

"My job is a lot easier having a player like Clay," said Triton coach Jason Groves.  "You give him the ball and he will make something happen. He wanted the ball in his hands. He said coach give me the ball in that final timeout and I told him he didn't have to worry about that.

The final play saw Yeo get the ball, give it up to a teammate while losing his balance and nearly traveling, and then get it right back to launch his heroic final shot.

I have confidence in my self in those situations and I also trust my teammates. They got me the ball and set the screen and I give them a lot of credit. I just want to make the shot when given the opportunity like tonight and pay them back."

The Tigers led 40-35 early in the final quarter on a jumper by John Swanson. Triton rallied to take a 44-42 lead with 2:19 left on a clutch 3-pointer from the baseline by Darren Harrell, his only basket of the game, off a great pass from Yeo as he was double teamed.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on December 19, 2012, 01:56:17 AMHe said coach give me the ball in that final timeout and I told him he didn't have to worry about that.

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 19, 2012, 11:28:17 AM

Was thinking the same thing!  Thanks!

wh

Quote from: bbtds on December 19, 2012, 01:56:17 AM
I hope we are not overhyping these recruits but they do sound like players we could really use.

Posting game stories about our recruits is not "overhyping" them.  Their performances, some of which have been spectacular, speak for themselves.  That said, I think we all recognize that great high school performances don't automatically translate to greatness at the next level. Jay Harris, who averaged something like 28 or 29 points in his senior year in high school, is a good case in point.   

historyman

Quote from: wh on December 19, 2012, 02:32:46 PMThat said, I think we all recognize that great high school performances don't automatically translate to greatness at the next level. Jay Harris, who averaged something like 28 or 29 points in his senior year in high school, is a good case in point.   

I totally agree. Here's hoping one or two of the recruits turn out to be Ryan Broekhoffs instead of Jay Harrises.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Smj

I watched Clay a few times and i think his game will translate well into college level play....   

bbtds

FYI, Nick Davidson and the Andrean 59ers are traveling to Indy to take on the Space Pioneers of Northwest High School tomorrow/Saturday. I think I'll head to the east side (tournament is being played at John Marshall-38th and Mitthoefer) for this game and see one of Valpo's recruits who are doing all this scoring. Game time is 4:00 p.m. EST.

I remember a tornado landing directly across 38th street from John Marshall in an apartment complex a few years back. Many people I talked to thought the school had been wiped out after they gave the location of the tornado touchdown on TV.

It appears the big game at John Marshall will be the game tonight/Friday between Indy Pike and East St Louis at 9:30 p.m.

EDIT: I just realized that the Valpo game will last into Andrean's game at John Marshall so I will not be going to see Nick Davidson play.

bbtds

I thought about seeing the 2nd half of the Andrean/Northwest game but never did make it. Maybe if I knew Tom Crean was there I might have gone

Here's the Times story on Andrean's win.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/davidson-leads-andrean-in-total-team-win-in-indy/article_804def07-3d84-5518-8bb2-52f7686d5d21.html

Nick Davidson and his Andrean teammates were getting ready for Saturday's game at Indianapolis Marshall High School when the senior guard saw an old face walking toward him.

Indiana University coach Tom Crean walked over to greet the Munster lad. As a freshman, Crean invited Davidson down for a visit. It thrilled the kid.

"I've loved Indiana basketball since I was little," said Davidson, who has signed to play for Bryce Drew and Valparaiso next year.

Crean wished Davidson good luck and told him he'd followed this season and congratulated him on a great run so far.

But the fact Crean never gave a scholarship offer was a bit of motivation for Davidson as The Times No. 1 'Niners took on Indianapolis Northwest in IPSAC/Midwest Showcase.

"Maybe just a little bit," Davidson said. "Even if it's someone you respect, you want to show them that you have something worth watching."

Davidson played a splendid game in Andrean's 77-74 white-knuckle win over the Pioneers (3-3). He had 22 points and eight assists to earn the MVP trophy.

Northwest led 43-34 at the half.

"Whenever we have a bad first half we usually come out all fired up," Toporski said. "My guys did a great job kicking it out to me in the corner. This was a big win for us. They gave us a great game and we came back and got the win."

Crean can keep his cotton picking hands off our recruit! Bryce needs to schedule a game with IU in 4 years when Davidson is a senior. I'm sure Nick will be highly motivated.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on December 22, 2012, 11:02:15 PM
I thought about seeing the 2nd half of the Andrean/Northwest game but never did make it. Maybe if I knew Tom Crean was there I might have gone

Here's the Times story on Andrean's win.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/davidson-leads-andrean-in-total-team-win-in-indy/article_804def07-3d84-5518-8bb2-52f7686d5d21.html

Nick Davidson and his Andrean teammates were getting ready for Saturday's game at Indianapolis Marshall High School when the senior guard saw an old face walking toward him.

Indiana University coach Tom Crean walked over to greet the Munster lad. As a freshman, Crean invited Davidson down for a visit. It thrilled the kid.

"I've loved Indiana basketball since I was little," said Davidson, who has signed to play for Bryce Drew and Valparaiso next year.

Crean wished Davidson good luck and told him he'd followed this season and congratulated him on a great run so far.

But the fact Crean never gave a scholarship offer was a bit of motivation for Davidson as The Times No. 1 'Niners took on Indianapolis Northwest in IPSAC/Midwest Showcase.

"Maybe just a little bit," Davidson said. "Even if it's someone you respect, you want to show them that you have something worth watching."

Davidson played a splendid game in Andrean's 77-74 white-knuckle win over the Pioneers (3-3). He had 22 points and eight assists to earn the MVP trophy.

Northwest led 43-34 at the half.

"Whenever we have a bad first half we usually come out all fired up," Toporski said. "My guys did a great job kicking it out to me in the corner. This was a big win for us. They gave us a great game and we came back and got the win."

Crean can keep his cotton picking hands off our recruit! Bryce needs to schedule a game with IU in 4 years when Davidson is a senior. I'm sure Nick will be highly motivated.

If Crean suddenly decided he wanted Nick (even after he signed his NLI), he would stab Bryce in the back in a heart beat to get him.  Look no further than the unholy Crean/Mark Adams alliance to understand the lack of character involved here.

valpotx

Does anyone hear anything about how Chadwick is in practice?  In my mind, I am hoping he slots into Kevin's role next year, but not sure if he is that type of player.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Didn't see this mentioned: Peters had another double-double (20 points, 10 rebounds) in the game this weekend as his team continued undefeated. He was 12-12 at the free throw line!

bbtds

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/preps/x1233661261/Limestone-boys-trim-deficit-to-one-late-but-Washington-is-gone-in-60-seconds

Alec Peters sank a baseline jumper with 5:06 to play that gave Washington its largest lead at 44-33.

Washington had built its earlier 11-point lead by holding Limestone scoreless for nearly a six-minute span of the third and fourth quarters.

.....two free throws from Peters was part of a six-point run that put the hosts up 55-48 with 10 seconds remaining.

Washington led 22-20 at halftime.

Peters was 4-for-10 from the field and scored 20 without a 3 attempt. His 12-for-12 shooting on free throws included eight makes in the fourth quarter. The Valparaiso recruit had 10 rebounds and two blocks.

"He (Peters) just kept plugging away," Brown said. "He was incredible on defense and went hard to the boards."

Adams had 11 rebounds. He and Peters combined for nine of 15 offensive boards for Washington.

vuweathernerd

i really hope peters can come in and give us even 70% of the production he's shown thus far this season. i like what i see in every single update posted about him.

valporun

Anyone have a clue about what his defense is like? I mean there is the High School Cube video from around Thanksgiving, but now that he has a few more games under him for this season, can he stick to his man, what is he like in a zone, does he try to steal the ball, or does he look like another Ryan type of player?

valpopal

Alec Peters had 19 points in the first half tonight, outscoring the opposing team by 7, then seems to have been rested much of the second half (since Washington will play Evanston tomorrow morning in a tournament quarterfinal game), but he wound up with 23 points and was the leading rebounder with 6:

"Valparaiso recruit Alec Peters scored 19 of his 23 in the first half for Washington (10-0). 'Alec came out sharp and Tucker was a threat on the offensive and defensive ends,' Washington coach Kevin Brown said. Peters shot 7-for-13 from the field and led all rebounders with six."
http://www.pjstar.com/sports/preps/x1922383718/Pekin-tournament-roundup-Potters-pull-off-surprise-Knights-Panthers-hosts-win?zc_p=1