• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chef

John Mutka referred to them as the cough drop brothers. I always got a kick out of that.

LaPorteAveApostle

You guys are my new favorite posters.

Could you explain "cough drop brothers", though?  Or is it obvious and I'm missing it?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 18, 2013, 10:52:32 AM
You guys are my new favorite posters.

Could you explain "cough drop brothers", though?  Or is it obvious and I'm missing it?

http://www.thesmithbrothers.com/wellness-products-pages-3.php

This should explain it.

LaPorteAveApostle

huh.  thanks.  that's luden-crous.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Clay Yeo had 24 points and 8 rebounds Friday night in a tough loss, 50-48.

valpopal

wh

Quote from: valpopal on January 22, 2013, 04:27:34 PM
Fazekas, who has an offer from Valpo, visits Northwestern:

http://www.hoops247.com/index.php/modules-menu/495-fazekas-talks-northwestern-visit

Based on the quality of transfers and high school recruits Bryce has been able to attract over the past year, I doubt he is any longer interested in "solid Mid Major prospects," as the description goes.  Is this kid considered a top tier player?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on January 22, 2013, 04:53:11 PMIs this kid considered a top tier player?

Wouldn't you want to eat Northwestern's lunch?

Were I him, only my inordinate love for Valpo plus how hideous I look in purple would keep me from flinging myself into the arms of a B1G school.

All in all, still a little early to say.  One of the things John Beilein has done exceptionally well is project people--not many wanted Tim Hardaway, OSU didn't want Trey Burke, Nick Stauskas was hardly on any American radars...if Bryce can look at someone and see where they could be, that will separate him from being a good coach and a legendary one.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on January 22, 2013, 04:53:11 PM

http://www.hoops247.com/index.php/modules-menu/495-fazekas-talks-northwestern-visit

Based on the quality of transfers and high school recruits Bryce has been able to attract over the past year, I doubt he is any longer interested in "solid Mid Major prospects," as the description goes.  Is this kid considered a top tier player?

Yes, he is only a sophomore (2015) and received his offer from Bryce as a freshman.

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on January 22, 2013, 04:53:11 PM

Per this article ( http://www.insidethehall.com/2012/06/25/2015-wing-ryan-fazekas-attracting-big-ten-interest/#more-22252 ) and his Rivals profile, Fazekas appears to be getting interest from several Big Ten schools.  I've never seen him play, so he may or may not be what Valpo is looking for.  He sounds very similar to Peters and Yeo, so he may be redundant.

chef

Fazekas is two years younger than the incoming class. Many project that he'll be one of the top 5 Indiana players from the class of 2015. If he ends up at Valpo, they'll find a spot for him.

hungry4moreYeo

McDonald all American nominee Yeo  :thumbsup:, squared off against Fazekas last year in the Sectionals for most of the night. (Its on you tube) Fazekas was a go to guy last year for the team. Good skills and floor smarts.

Smj

Quote from: hungry4moreYeo on January 23, 2013, 06:54:53 AM
McDonald all American nominee Yeo  :thumbsup:, squared off against Fazekas last year in the Sectionals for most of the night. (Its on you tube) Fazekas was a go to guy last year for the team. Good skills and floor smarts.
Link?

bbtds

Quote from: Smj on January 24, 2013, 12:33:52 AM
Quote from: hungry4moreYeo on January 23, 2013, 06:54:53 AM
Link?

He only has 3 posts. He needs 5 posts to post a link. hungry4moreYeo could post the link without the http and we could all add it when we pasted the link in the browser.

Or he could just post twice more and then put the link in his 6th post.

wh

Seven players from Indiana made the nomination list, also including Hamilton Southeastern's Zak Irwin, Mishawaka Marian's Demetrius Jackson, LaPorte La Lumiere's Torren Jones, Ben Davis' Tony Wills and Triton's Clay Yeo.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20130117/BLOGS06/130119550/0/vid

Smj

Quote from: wh on January 24, 2013, 05:32:56 AM
Seven players from Indiana made the nomination list, also including Hamilton Southeastern's Zak Irwin, Mishawaka Marian's Demetrius Jackson, LaPorte La Lumiere's Torren Jones, Ben Davis' Tony Wills and Triton's Clay Yeo.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20130117/BLOGS06/130119550/0/vid
Awesome - when do we know if he is playing?

hungry4moreYeo

Think the letter said Feb 12th they will post whos playing.

Working on the link of last years game.

hungry4moreYeo

Found the link but, the video has been removed due to a copy right claim

wh

January 26, 2013

Boys basketball
Yeo carries Trojans
Triton superstar Clay Yeo erupted for a game-high 36 points to lead the Trojans to a 55-43 Northern State Conference boys basketball win at Jimtown Friday. Tanner Shepherd chipped in 10 points for the Trojans. Triton plays at Argos Tuesday.

Peters scores 21 in Washington victory:

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/preps/x1926914040/Panthers-pick-apart-East-Peoria-boys

truth219

Are you more confident in the players we have returning or the incoming freshman?

historyman

Quote from: truth219 on January 31, 2013, 09:08:53 PMAre you more confident in the players we have returning or the incoming freshman?

I'm more confident in the incoming freshman going farther in their junior and senior years. I think there will be the usual learning curve for this incoming freshman class. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Smj

Someone said we are not rebuilding...  We are reloading.   I think we will have some pains as players transition to "the college game".   i have watched games for each of the incoming players and it is a lot of talent.    Question is can Bryce get them playing together and potentially in different roles.

valpopal

I hear Alec Peters scored 49 points and pulled down 16 rebounds in a pair of wins this weekend. I also saw where a couple of observers were comparing him favorably to former Butler forward Gordon Hayward.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on February 10, 2013, 11:41:22 AM
I hear Alec Peters scored 49 points and pulled down 16 rebounds in a pair of wins this weekend. I also saw where a couple of observers were comparing him favorably to former Butler forward Gordon Hayward.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/preps/x1037508438/Washington-boys-hand-Central-their-worst-loss-in-nearly-four-decades-72-32

Washington boys hand Central their worst loss in nearly four decades, 72-32

By ADAM DUVALL
of the Journal Star
Posted Feb 09, 2013 @ 11:22 PM

PEORIA —
It's pretty safe to say that Washington is playing its best basketball at the right time of year.

The Class 3A No. 3-ranked Panthers (24-1) dominated Central 72-32 in a nonconference boys basketball game Saturday.

The Lions (9-14) suffered their most lopsided defeat since Dec. 12, 1975 — a 79-37 loss at Richwoods.

"They just outmanned us," Central coach Dan Ruffin said. "Bigger and stronger and more efficient."

Washington's offense — hitting 67.3 percent (31 of 46) of its shots — proved to be very efficient, especially in the first quarter.

Alec Peters scored 10 of his game-high 25 points as Washington led 19-11 after the opening eight minutes. These two played for the 3A Peoria Sectional title last season.

"We couldn't have jumped out to a better start," the Valparaiso recruit said, "and just the overall energy of our team was a little greater."

At one point in the first quarter, though, Central's Josh Augusta matched Peters basket-for-basket.

Augusta, a 6-foot-5 Missouri football recruit, had six of his team-high 12 points in the first period. His layup at the 5:03 mark tied the game at 7. But Washington, which has won 13 in row, closed out the quarter on a 12-4 spurt.

"Whenever he wants to get space, he gets his space," said Peters, who matched up with Augusta for most of the night.

From there, it was all Washington's defense. Central was limited to just three points on three shot attempts, turned the ball over seven times and went a 5:59 stretch of the second quarter without a field goal.

The Lions, who went 6 of 11 from the field in the first half, trailed 35-14 at halftime.

"Early on, we were fine," Ruffin said, "but then our offense wasn't fluid and attacking enough."

Washington started the third quarter on an 11-point run, scored 37 second-half points — 32 in the paint — and got 13 points from Peters.

"When you're getting point-blank looks from 2 or 3 feet away, that can really take the air out of the defense," Panthers coach Kevin Brown said.

Notes: Washington's Troy Adams had 11 points and a game-high six rebounds. ... Central played a second straight game without leading scorer Myles Boone (ineligible).

Adam Duvall can be reached at 686-3214 or aduvall@pjstar.com.

This is really huge stuff. That is last year's 3A state champ they beat so badly. Wow!

One concession though. Peoria Central was playing without their leading scorer.