• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zvillehaze

Indiana is annually generating 25 to 40 Division I players, so there are lots of very good players each year who don't make the All Star team.  Just a couple of additional thoughts on the selection process:

Geography - This definitely comes into play; this could actually hurt Yeo since Mishawaka and Fort Wayne will be well represented and there won't be pressure to add more kids from the North.

Filling a team - They actually play games, so the last few spots can be impacted by filling positional needs on the roster.  You can't have all guards or all centers, so sometimes a top 13 kid might get left off because of his position.  FWIW, I have no idea if this will help or hurt Yeo and Davidson, just stating that it can happen.

NW Indiana bias - Not justified, but there is one.  Don't take offense, because Indianapolis also ignores Southern Indiana!  ;D

State tournament bias - Yeo certainly got additional recognition by making it to the state finals; Davidson's team also advanced, although a trip to Indy would have been a bigger bump.

IU / Purdue bias - As mentioned earlier, committing to IU or Purdue really helps your chances of being named to the team.

Good luck to your guys!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 25, 2013, 09:47:13 AMNW Indiana bias - Not justified, but there is one.

Totally.  Thank you for picking out all the various biases because they really showed on the Indy writer's list.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

lowposter

A quick scan showed there are at this time at least 35 Indiana players who have either committed to or will be going D1.  One local coach was told there will be close to 45-50 by the time everything is said and done.  While there are no truly outstanding jaw dropping top 20 talents (nationally) this year (Glen Robinson III) worked his way to top 20 in the spring last year), the talent pool is very, very deep as has been the case the past few years. 

Why?  Indiana high school basketball is at a very high level.  The players are well coached and are fundamentally sound.  Indianapolis area produces great talent which is well coached and plays at a high level of competition.

There will probably be no NW Indiana players on the Indiana All Star Team.  Outside chance to Nick Davidson or Mike Schlotman of Munster...possibly a long shot to BJ Jenkins of Merrillville, but a very long shot.  Jenkins was the best player on the best team in the DAC and advanced to the final 4 of Class 4, but the DAC meat grinder schedule does not lend itself to high scoring stats.  He will be a D1 player in either football or basketball.  Merrillville also has Raspopovich going D1, plus the 6'6" Talley will eventually end up there once he stops growing and gains a little weight.  Lake Central has 3 D1 players and finished 3rd in the DAC behind Merrillville and Valpo (who has a D1 committed forward).  So, lots of talent in NW but nothing that jumps out and grabs you. 

Munster and Andrean were done in by their weak conference.  Had they played in a tougher conference they possibly could have advanced to the state finals, although it would have been tough for Munster to beat Carmel.  Andrean should have been there.  I watched them lose to Chesterton by 14 and Chesterton finished 4th in the DAC. 

I am not sure if there are any immediate impact freshmen coming in, but this is a very good class.  To make the transition from HS to HL is a tough one.  The two forwards from Illinois both could make immediate contributions.  Yeo is a fascinating prospect.  Good athlete and great young man.  He needs to get stronger (they all do) and adjust to the quicker game....and learn to go to his left.  No doubt he will do all these things.

Not sure if Davidson will play PG.  In fact it would be a surprize if he does.  There are two incoming PGs next year, both from Chicago area (one a St Louis transfer who was runner up Mr Basketball).  These kids are quick on quick.  Davidson is not quick, but should be able to translate to a 2/3 in the HL if he developes quickness and hops.  He was head and shoulders the best player in NW from 5th grade thru sophomore year in his grade, then players started catching up.  If you want to see a true 6'4" PG, look at Munster's Mike Schlotman....and even he was proved to be human against the ultra quickness of Merrillville's Jenkins in the Regionals.

This incoming group should be very good, but give them at least a year.  Plus there is some talent still in place.

ValpoGenXer

New video of Clay Yeo posted this week.  Or maybe I should say "Postered". 
Clay Yeo's Semi-State Slam

Yes, he's that good.  It's been a long, long time since Valpo had a player who could do this.

milanmiracle

I think there are too many people who forget exactly how much talent is in this state. While as seniors it's purely speculation to how good they will be, just take a look at the freshman class from Indiana last year.

Yogi Ferrell - IU
Gary Harris - Michigan State
Mitch McGary - Michigan
Glen Robinson III - Michigan
DeVauntes Smith-Rivera* - Georgetown (transfered as a senior due to a fight in last years sectional)
A.J. Hammonds - Purdue
Kellen Dunham - Butler
Ronnie Johnson - Purdue

I know there are plenty more I am missing, but that's just last year, and those are players making a significant impact as freshman at major D1 programs. My point...if somebody doesn't make the Indiana All-Star team, don't be surprised. And, right or wrong, since the IHSAA decided to go to a class system, it makes it harder for the small guys to get noticed. They're comparing 1A players and their success against other 1A players vs. big time 4A competition. I think somebody transfered from the region last year to Zionsville and thier scoring average went from one of the best in the state to nearly nothing. I can't remember the name of the kid. The Steve Nicodemus factor doesn't exist anymore.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

zvillehaze

Quote from: lowposter on March 25, 2013, 03:30:59 PM
Why?  Indiana high school basketball is at a very high level.  The players are well coached and are fundamentally sound.  Indianapolis area produces great talent which is well coached and plays at a high level of competition.

I'll also add that Indiana's AAU teams are generally well organized and well coached.  I know most people have negative opinions of AAU, but not all teams/programs are as bad as you think.  Indiana has some of the best programs in the country.

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 25, 2013, 06:57:13 PM
I think somebody transfered from the region last year to Zionsville and thier scoring average went from one of the best in the state to nearly nothing. I can't remember the name of the kid.

I'm laughing at this one ... it was Zach Richie (cousin of Lowell's Austin Richie), who shattered my school single-season scoring record as a junior, then moved to the town where I live now to rub it in!   ;D  In reality, he went from the primary scorer on a fairly bad 1A team to a role player on very balanced 4A team.  My daughter had class with him and said he was a really nice kid ... kudos to him for accepting his new role and being a good teammate!   :thumbsup:

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 25, 2013, 08:36:34 PMshattered my school single-season scoring record as a junior

dude are you scott blum?!?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

Quote from: ValpoGenXer on March 25, 2013, 04:38:42 PMYes, he's that good.  It's been a long, long time since Valpo had a player who could do this.
I think that is a tad bit of an exaggeration. A nice athletic move but not uber athletic.  I know that both Matt and Ryan could also make such a dunk, but doing it against D1 competition is a whole different ballgame.  I don't want to get into a p!$$!^& contest but check out the 3A state finals video that I posted with the link on page 29 of this thread.  McCall makes almost the exact same move down the middle of the lane only he slams it two handed and is about a foot higher off the floor than Yeo.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

Last year Keith Carter was the runner-up to Jabari Parker for the Illinois Mr. Basketball title. Tonight, Alec Peters placed 5th for the Illinois Mr. Basketball title as Jabari Parker (Duke) repeats. It will be nice to see Alec and Keith on the court together for Valpo next year:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/high-school/post/_/id/3454/jabari-parker-repeats-as-illinois-mr-basketball

a3uge

Clay just needs to beef up in his first year at Valpo. Somebody take him to Kelsey's Steakhouse, or at least, Dynasty Buffet twice a week once he comes here. We've seen this before: an amazing recruit come to Valpo, but fall flat on his face. I think Clay is a lot more athletic than Jay, but we're not talking about an ESPN top 150 recruit this time. The small size and lack of physicality absolutely destroyed Jay. I hope Clay can drive inside an be physical if he plays a shooting guard role. If we want to beat SLU, New Mexico, and Murray St, we have to have players who can play physical.

Also, to cheer everyone up, here's a random Tweet I found:

https://twitter.com/scrimpshire22/status/315647510452527109

IndyValpo

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 25, 2013, 06:57:13 PMAnd, right or wrong, since the IHSAA decided to go to a class system, it makes it harder for the small guys to get noticed.

Ok, I will bite.  I would say wrong. Yeo's chances are helped because he took his took to the state finals.  Likewise the 2 kids from Linton are helped for the same reason. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on March 26, 2013, 12:02:52 AMClay just needs to beef up in his first year at Valpo.

Relax--if you saw a picture of Bryce in his VHS jersey, you'd know why we were all flabbergasted when 7-8 months later we saw him in a VU jersey for the first time.  he went from being Clay Yeo to Tix II: The Gun Show.

milanmiracle

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 26, 2013, 07:36:48 AM
Quote from: milanmiracle on March 25, 2013, 06:57:13 PMAnd, right or wrong, since the IHSAA decided to go to a class system, it makes it harder for the small guys to get noticed.

Ok, I will bite.  I would say wrong. Yeo's chances are helped because he took his took to the state finals.  Likewise the 2 kids from Linton are helped for the same reason. 

I'd be interested to know how many 1A players have made the Indiana All Star team since going to class basketball, and how many made it before class basketball. I am not going to look it up, but I suspect that more 1A players make it now. I know in 2A, Yogi Ferrell made it, and Trevon Bleuitt will make it next year. Heck, Bleuitt will be a serious Mr. Basketball candidate.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

milanmiracle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 26, 2013, 08:57:34 AM
Quote from: a3uge on March 26, 2013, 12:02:52 AMClay just needs to beef up in his first year at Valpo.

Relax--if you saw a picture of Bryce in his VHS jersey, you'd know why we were all flabbergasted when 7-8 months later we saw him in a VU jersey for the first time.  he went from being Clay Yeo to Tix II: The Gun Show.

And I hope body type is the only comparison between Clay and Bryce ever mentioned.

chef

Peters finishing 5th in the Mr. Basketball vote is really remarkable when you see kids going to Illinois, OSU, and Purdue further down in the voting. I voted for the Indiana award for many years and always saw a bias toward the kids going to the big state schools.

FWalum

Many of you are already probably aware of this news but since I couldn't recall seeing it anywhere I thought I would put it here.  D. J. McCall makes the North group of the Indiana Junior All Stars and will play with the 6 members of the core group consisting of 6-9 Trey Lyles of Tech, 6-5 Trevon Bluiett of Park Tudor, 6-4 Evansville Bosse guard JaQuan Lyle, 6-2 Fort Wayne Bishop Luers guard James Blackmon Jr., 6-3 Greensburg guard Bryant McIntosh and 6-9 Plymouth forward Mack Mercer. Blackmon is committed to Indiana and McIntosh to Indiana State.

Junior All Stars Selected

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

ValpoGenXer

Quote from: FWalum on March 25, 2013, 11:42:35 PM
Quote from: ValpoGenXer on March 25, 2013, 04:38:42 PMYes, he's that good. It's been a long, long time since Valpo had a player who could do this.
I think that is a tad bit of an exaggeration. A nice athletic move but not uber athletic. I know that both Matt and Ryan could also make such a dunk, but doing it against D1 competition is a whole different ballgame. I don't want to get into a p!$$!^& contest but check out the 3A state finals video that I posted with the link on page 29 of this thread. McCall makes almost the exact same move down the middle of the lane only he slams it two handed and is about a foot higher off the floor than Yeo.

We will agree to disagree on the degree of Clay's athleticism.  You can also find on youtube a video of Clay bounding down the court on a breakaway dunk, in which he takes exactly 5 steps from the half court line to the middle of the lane, where he skies from 8 feet out for the easy dunk.  5 steps.  Again, I reiterate I haven't seen that at Valpo in a long time, if ever.

valpotx

If you are a Junior currently, I can buy that YOU haven't seen it from a Valpo player.  We had several people that did that in my time at VU  :).  Terrance Price was an absolute freak of an athlete in regards to dunking.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Not sure what topic to place this, but I watched former Valpo transfer-recruit Moussa Gueye play for Alabama in the NIT tonight. He is their starting center, and in the first 2 games he averaged 17 minutes and only 1 point per game. During the season he played in all 36 games for Alabama, and his average was 1.3 points. He is 7-ft. tall but his field goal percentage is only 35%, and his free throw percentage is just 42%. Tonight, in their third NIT game, Gueye had a mere 2 points and 1 rebound in a home loss to Maryland.

As it turns out, how blessed were we to have Kevin instead with his 63% on field goals and 75% on free throws, as well as his terrific character and personality?

classof2014

QuoteAs it turns out, how blessed were we to have Kevin instead with his 63% on field goals and 75% on free throws, as well as his terrific character and personality?

Very! Goes to show just cause you're a seven footer doesn't mean you're going to be productive. Look at Vucic, 7'1" but barely played.

agibson

He started this year, but only averaged 15 minutes?  Huh.

3.9 RBG, 1.4 BPG, 2.7 fouls, and 1.2 TO to go with his 1.4 PPG.

Looks like they must play four guards at times - or even much of the time.

They have another (Swedish) 7 footer, with similar stats, who played about as many MPG as Gueye.  Well, sort of similar stats.  In 12.6 MPG he did average 3.3 PPG (almost twice as many, and not negligible if you take it 40, perhaps) on a much more respectable 69.2%.  But, he only played the first severn games of the season.  Maybe injured?

valpofan11

Let it be known right now, I think Yeo will be much more successful than Davidson. Yes, you can say Yeo played weaker competition, but Yeo showed his dominant capabilities that I've not seen from Davidson. Yeo can dunk consistently, Davidson can't. I would've loved to have Mike Schlotman rather than Nick Davidson. Davidson played absolutely horrible in the 3A semi state game vs Concordia and he cost his team a chance at winning a state title. Schlotman was flashy and looked more like a college player and Davidson did not seem as comfortable playing at PG.

RS

Lets not be too hard on the kid even before he puts on the VU uniform. I really don't expect Nick to play PG very much. I look at him as being more in the mold of a Matt Kenney. A #2 guard or small forward that can drive to the basket. There will be plenty of times, especially in the Horizon League, that we will go smaller and as a #3 he would work out fine. Just my 2 cents as having seen him play a couple of times.