• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Scholarship Chart

Started by cmack, February 16, 2012, 06:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmack

I was just bouncing around some of the other Horizon message boards and I loved seeing the Scholarship chart on the Butler board.  Anyone eager and willing to put together a Valpo scholarship chart for us??

covufan

Do you have an example or link?

covufan

Interesting and informative chart.  I agree that it would be nice to have here somewhere.

MattCarter

This is probably not very good, but I gave it a try.  Some of the recruiting info was hard to find.  If anyone has any corrections/additions just reply and then we can make a good one and put it on a sticky post somewhere and update it as needed

The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

valpopal

Good start. You can add Clay Yeo as a 2013 freshman.

MattCarter

Quote from: valpopal on February 16, 2012, 09:01:37 PMGood start. You can add Clay Yeo as a 2013 freshman.
ok do u have any more info from him?

MattCarter

Quote from: valpopal on February 16, 2012, 09:01:37 PMGood start. You can add Clay Yeo as a 2013 freshman.
I added him.  I am just going to copy over the same image, so refresh...i'll figure out how to make a nicer one once we get better info.  any other stuff we should have on the table?

PatVU07

Does anyone know what Tommy's status is currently?  I know he's been out for testing or something....is he sticking around?

MattCarter

Quote from: PatVU07 on February 16, 2012, 09:26:17 PMDoes anyone know what Tommy's status is currently?  I know he's been out for testing or something....is he sticking around?
He played against Youngstown

PatVU07

Missed that game.  Good to hear.  Hope that means he's healthy and will be working hard during the off season and will be making a positive impact for the seasons to come.  His father was my AD in high school and his grandfather is one of the best high school coaches in Indiana.  I'd love to see him make a huge turn around and contribute to a team that will come back next year as a favorite in the conference.

valpo95

Thanks for putting this together.

I was thinking about this during the previous games:  One of the nice things about this year's team is that the core players in terms of minutes and scoring will be back next year.  Plus, there are a number of exciting addtions for 2012-13.  I don't want to think too much ahead because I'm excited about this year, but it is nice to know that this looks to be sustainable for at least another year.

valpo04

Quote from: MattCarter on February 16, 2012, 09:13:45 PM
I added him.  I am just going to copy over the same image, so refresh...i'll figure out how to make a nicer one once we get better info.  any other stuff we should have on the table?

Thanks for this Matt!

Think you could add a totals line, like the Butler one?

MattCarter

Quote from: valpo04 on February 17, 2012, 08:22:53 AM
Quote from: MattCarter on February 16, 2012, 09:13:45 PM
Thanks for this Matt! Think you could add a totals line, like the Butler one?

Yeah I can do that.  Anything else anyone has?  I am gonna figure out a way to make a nicer looking one

valpopal

This reminds us that there is now an unexpected opening for a scholarship player in the upcoming year because of the NCAA ruling Dino Jakolis not eligible. Yet, there have been no hints at recruiting a new player for the 2012-2013 season. All the recruiting news has been about offerings to players in the 2013 or 2014 class. I wonder if Bryce will go the junior college or transfer route again since it is so late in the high school recruiting stage at this point.

sectionee

Bryce has been on the recruiting trail on some local seniors, but I have not heard of any offers to any of them.  I imagine you are right that he will go after a JUCO or another Will Bogan.

humbleopinion

A Will Bogan with two years of eligibility would make sense, but most graduate transfers would only be available for one year -- that wouldn't help much.  I would think that Valpo will be more attractive to recruits if we win the Horizon season title (presuming that there are good senior prospects out there).
Beamin' Beacons

agibson

Quote from: MattCarter on February 17, 2012, 08:27:36 AMI am gonna figure out a way to make a nicer looking one

Is it possible to use the tables available natively here on the message board?  Not sure what Butler's using.  There could be a certain advantage to a format that others can edit.

crusaderjoe

Good effort with the table.  Even though both of our walk-ons are seniors, maybe you can add a separated section at the bottom of the chart for "walk-ons"?   We've had at least one or two over the last few years, so perhaps it might be good to add them to this too.

sliman

How about showing that Capobianco and Fernandez have scholarships this year? 

MattCarter

Quote from: agibson on February 17, 2012, 10:05:34 AM
Quote from: MattCarter on February 17, 2012, 08:27:36 AMI am gonna figure out a way to make a nicer looking one
Is it possible to use the tables available natively here on the message board?  Not sure what Butler's using.  There could be a certain advantage to a format that others can edit.

I did try using the built in table thing and it didn't work well.  I checked and Butler is using an image, so they are prob building it in like Fireworks or something and then posting the updated image (like i am doing).

i used a free online html table builder and then cropped out a screen shot.  Open to any suggestions.

valpo04

Quote from: MattCarter on February 17, 2012, 11:59:20 AM
Quote from: agibson on February 17, 2012, 10:05:34 AM

I did try using the built in table thing and it didn't work well.  I checked and Butler is using an image, so they are prob building it in like Fireworks or something and then posting the updated image (like i am doing).

i used a free online html table builder and then cropped out a screen shot.  Open to any suggestions.

Perhaps creating it on the blog on this site might be an option.  Could then have multiple editors if we wanted.

Valpo89

Quote from: valpopal on February 17, 2012, 09:14:40 AM
This reminds us that there is now an unexpected opening for a scholarship player in the upcoming year because of the NCAA ruling Dino Jakolis not eligible. Yet, there have been no hints at recruiting a new player for the 2012-2013 season. All the recruiting news has been about offerings to players in the 2013 or 2014 class. I wonder if Bryce will go the junior college or transfer route again since it is so late in the high school recruiting stage at this point.
VHS grad Brad Karp, tearing it up at St. Xavier in Chicago, would be someone to consider.
He's grown to 6-5 and averaging nearly a double-double. He'd have to sit a year (don't need anyone next year anyway) and then have two years eligibility after all of this year's juniors are gone. I know a transfer from St. X doesn't carry the same appeal as a Ole Miss or Virginia Tech, but I almost guarantee he's as good or better than current guys seeing a lot of PT.

valporun

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 17, 2012, 12:32:17 PM
Quote from: valpopal on February 17, 2012, 09:14:40 AM
VHS grad Brad Karp, tearing it up at St. Xavier in Chicago, would be someone to consider.
He's grown to 6-5 and averaging nearly a double-double. He'd have to sit a year (don't need anyone next year anyway) and then have two years eligibility after all of this year's juniors are gone. I know a transfer from St. X doesn't carry the same appeal as a Ole Miss or Virginia Tech, but I almost guarantee he's as good or better than current guys seeing a lot of PT.

I don't believe NAIA's have to sit out a year, like D-I to D-I transfers do? Since he's leaving one association for a different one. What year is Karp? A sophomore?

Valpo89

Karp is a sophomore. Yes, he would have to sit out a year for sure and then have two years' eligiblity.
He was the National NAIA Player of the Week recently, earned an all-academic honor, has been conference player of the week four times.
I know he scored a career-high 39 recently and is averaging low 20s maybe (I haven't checked lately).
I know it's NAIA and the competition may not be the greatest, but I'm sure he's also playing against guys with D-1 talent who couldn't make the grades.
Problem is, he can't be recruited. He has to do the recruiting on his own if he wants to leave.