• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Detroit @ Valpo 3/6/12 8PM CST Game Thread

Started by vuweathernerd, March 05, 2012, 11:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

I think it's worth mentioning that while the other members of the Titans were celebrating, Holman and Lowe joined the Crusaders at mid-court for the after game prayer.  I really hadn't anticipated seeing that, and it made me pause to think about the opinions that I had formed, perhaps unfairly, about Holman.
Beamin' Beacons

valporun

I saw the same scene that humble just mentioned about Holman and Lowe joining in with the post-game prayer at center court. My mom thought they were being jerks, until I talked her off her soapbox. That was cool to see on tv. I also didn't like McCallum's decorum on the court, making all that happened seem like it was about him, and not the school, but if you notice, the worst of his "playing to the cameras" came during the timeouts, and in no way "taunted" Valpo. I was definitely upset with ESPN for making it so camera-worthy every time he did it. I felt the coverage of the game by ESPN and their announcers was biased and unprofessional.

In terms of what Ray Sr. said about "act like you've been there before", I felt at first that was playing to the cameras, but based on how all but his own son actually followed this "pep talk", I feel that readied Detroit for a good game, which they showed. Sadly, I wish Ray Jr. actually took all of that to heart as well. Yes, be a leader on the court, and get your teammates' head in the game, but don't act like a tool when the whistle is blown and the game goes to a timeout/tv break.

valpopal

Quote from: KL31NY on March 07, 2012, 04:09:36 PM
Link to Horizon League review of the championship game and post-game activities, featuring highlights and Ray's buzzer-beating dunk... no comment

http://bit.ly/xETmaf

Clearly, McCallum looked at the clock before he dunked, which means his explanation after the game that he thought time had run out also makes him a liar. In addition, I find it troubling that the Horizon League narrator seems to applaud McCallum's unsportsmanlike act.

FWalum

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 07, 2012, 05:17:29 PM
I think it's worth mentioning that while the other members of the Titans were celebrating, Holman and Lowe joined the Crusaders at mid-court for the after game prayer.  I really hadn't anticipated seeing that, and it made me pause to think about the opinions that I had formed, perhaps unfairly, about Holman.
It was good to see young men giving thanks for their God given abilities.  I actually thought that Holman and Lowe acted with composure and maturity during the game even in some situations that in the past might have caused issues. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

Kind of puzzling why the commentator would add in the part about Ray dunking at the end, as if it was a positive.  I guess you kind of have to support the team that won the conference tournament if you work for the HL, and have to mention it as it is being talked about a lot.  If Ray comes back, our players need to remember this loss, but especially this disrespect.
"Don't mess with Texas"

lowposter

As I mentioned in another thread, VU's performance in 2H bothers me more than RMc's theatrics.  We phoned it in the last 5 minutes, and were outscored by 27 points the last 25 minutes of the game.  Sometimes, when the wheels come off the bus, it gets ugly.

Glad to hear about Holman and Lowe after the game.  It sounds like Holman is getting his life back on track ... and that is outstanding.  That young man is very talented. 

Regarding the tagging (313 - Titans).  I lived in the VU neighborhood for 25 years and had very little vandalism.  Hopefully my property didnt get tagged.  That was a punk move by someone who has very little regard for personal property. 

Overall, this community stacks up well when compared to Detroit in regards to vandalism, violence, racial incidents, and quality of life.  Yes, there is work to do in all aspects of community and relations.

Now...just a couple of weeks ago we were complaining about those arrogant Butler fans.  I dont like this trend.

For Pete's sake, this is basketball.  Enjoy it and move on.

lowposter

valpopal

I noticed on the Horizon League website that coach Bradbury of Wright State's women's team has issued an apology, which I assume is for his ejection at Butler after tossing his suit jacket into the crowd last Saturday: "I want to sincerely apologize for conduct that did not represent the values of Wright State University, my team and the Horizon League," Bradbury said. "I acted inappropriately for someone in a leadership position entrusted with setting an example of ethical and sportsmanlike behavior. I have apologized to the Wright State athletics administration, my team and the appropriate officiating crews and coaches. I intend to use this as a learning moment in my professional career."

This got me wondering why Detroit or the Horizon League has not offered a statement about the behavior of the Detroit students seen chanting "F*** You" on national television or about the criminal actions of vandalism and property damage in Valparaiso. At the least, Detroit University or the Horizon League should issue a statement of concern declaring that they are looking into the matters.

grad66

I hate to see this season being ruined by all the negative talk.  In regards to an HL statement or whatever, doesn't the "deafening silence" answer that question?? :twocents:

wh

Quote from: valpopal on March 09, 2012, 08:21:55 PM

This got me wondering why Detroit or the Horizon League has not offered a statement about the behavior of the Detroit students seen chanting "F*** You" on national television or about the criminal actions of vandalism and property damage in Valparaiso. At the least, Detroit University or the Horizon League should issue a statement of concern declaring that they are looking into the matters.

The HL maybe, but Detroit?  That's like the fox saying he (or she in the case of Detroit) is going to conduct a thorough investigation of why chickens are missing in the hen house.

grad66

wh

No wonder fans on the Detroit message board don't think graffiti is any big deal:

http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php?topic=45633.0

agibson

I sympathize with some defending the campus and city from detractors: it's an urban campus.  There are some things that come with that territory.  Even the University of Chicago's campus isn't completely a walk in the park.

I'm also interested to hear about the housing loan (and loan forgiveness?!) program for faculty.  Unfortunately, the link's broken and the program doesn't easily google.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpopal on March 09, 2012, 08:21:55 PM....... or about the criminal actions of vandalism and property damage in Valparaiso. At the least, Detroit University or the Horizon League should issue a statement of concern declaring that they are looking into the matters.

....Can someone quickly summarize the acts of vandalism and property damage?  On campus, in town, what?  ???

valpopal

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 11, 2012, 02:38:25 PM
Quote from: valpopal on March 09, 2012, 08:21:55 PM....... or about the criminal actions of vandalism and property damage in Valparaiso. At the least, Detroit University or the Horizon League should issue a statement of concern declaring that they are looking into the matters.

....Can someone quickly summarize the acts of vandalism and property damage?  On campus, in town, what?  ???

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/valparaiso/police-detroit-fans-suspected-in-vu-area-vandalism/article_bd6179b2-86f7-5c85-9d6d-adab4f9c2c7a.html#ixzz1oS92J1OM

VULB#62

Thanks valpopal.  Fro the article, it appears to be isolated, fairly limited and probably the work of a couple miscreants.  Glad it wasn't worse.  But there is no place for that kind of junk -- nor the UD-M chant.

valpopal

An example from which Detroit's university president can learn a lesson in how to react to poor student behavior:

USM Apologizes to Kansas State

PITTSBURGH – Southern Miss has issued a formal apology to Kansas State for the behavior of the USM pep band during today's NCAA Tournament basketball game in Pittsburgh.When freshman KSU point guard Angel Rodriguez stepped to the free throw line today at the CONSOL Energy Center, the USM band chanted "Where's your green card?"

"We deeply regret the remarks made by a few students at today's game," USM president Martha Saunders said today in a press release. "The words of these individuals do not represent the sentiments of our pep band, athletic department or university. We apologize to Mr. Rodriguez and will take quick and appropriate disciplinary action against the students involved in this isolated incident."

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/article/20120315/SPORTS/120315018/USM-apologizes-Kansas-State-band-s-racist-chant?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

valpotx

Can you really discipline someone for this free speech?  I guess you can if they are in the band and on a university-paid trip?  Of course, I am not a proponent of such chants, just curious.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

They can't exactly dismiss what was said by the students, but as a university representative, the students in the pep band are held to a bit of a higher standard than the student section at the NCAA tourney games. Remember, the band has access to the tournament that the general fan doesn't get, being court side and have live microphones on them so they can be heard clearly in the arena and on television. Free speech or not, they were still representing Southern Mississippi by being in the band, and wearing apparel that shows what institution they are representing.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on March 16, 2012, 12:16:31 AM
Can you really discipline someone for this free speech?  I guess you can if they are in the band and on a university-paid trip?  Of course, I am not a proponent of such chants, just curious.

The ref could give the team a technical, presumably?  Or eject the fans from the venue?  Or probably the hosts could do the ejecting, instead.

The school's administration could kick them out of the pep band.

vuweathernerd

i don't know if it's wise to bring this back up or not, but i'm going to anyway.

there's been some resolution in the issue about the chant by the southern miss pep band. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/20/five-from-southern-miss-pep-band-disciplined/?test=latestnews

FWalum

Wow, teachable moment is right.  I guess they taught those kids a lesson.  I hope there is some way for them to redeem themselves.  I agree that the chant was beyond the pale of acceptability, but removing band scholarships without some road to redemption seems maybe a tad too harsh.  Many BB players on scholarship have done worse and not been kicked off their teams so I don't know if there is equal treatment being dealt out in this situation. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vuweathernerd

Quote from: FWalum on March 21, 2012, 11:59:31 AM
Wow, teachable moment is right.  I guess they taught those kids a lesson.  I hope there is some way for them to redeem themselves.  I agree that the chant was beyond the pale of acceptability, but removing band scholarships without some road to redemption seems maybe a tad too harsh.  Many BB players on scholarship have done worse and not been kicked off their teams so I don't know if there is equal treatment being dealt out in this situation. 

some of it may have been due to the national scale in which it happened. but i tend to agree that it may have been a bit harsh.

agibson

I suspect that happening during the NCAA tournament, and attracting 400,000 Youtube view in less than a week, may have had something to do with the severity of the response.

valporun

The thought I have about the band members, they're not the reason tickets are being sold. They used bad judgement, like most college kids do, but this was bad judgement at its worst.