• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

WBB - Valpo @ MIL. 3/5/12

Started by jack, March 05, 2012, 09:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

Great win for the lady Crusaders! First Tourney win ever in the HL. Pretty impressive. Got to love the heart of this squad. Got it handed to us 9 days ago at MIL. Came back to beat them, on their floor, to end their season. May have been a blessing in disguise that we didn't get a home game. Record outting by Timmerman. I'd say the senior wasn't done playing yet. 20 pts. Nice.
Off to Green Bay. Give em Heck!!

KL31NY

There were a few times in this game where UWM was starting to roll and it looked like they might rise up and take the game, but each time Valpo fought back. Very proud of the effort, playing just six people too (no Jansone or Horton used). By no means are they favorites Wednesday, but this is probably the best looking chance to at least have a good showing in Green Bay in a while w/ this club and where it's at
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpotx

Good victory to get to double digit wins.  It's really sad to see the state of women's basketball, as I read that is the most wins we have had since 2008-2009? 
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Nice win for the ladies, good parting gift for Freeman. The fact that as a 9 seed winning over a 8 is a big thing is commentary on where this program is at.

Crusader03

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 06, 2012, 04:40:47 AM
Nice win for the ladies, good parting gift for Freeman. The fact that as a 9 seed winning over a 8 is a big thing is commentary on where this program is at.

:crazy:

setshot

Right on IV. The WBB program needs a transfusion of new blood. Hopefully ML will make the decision soon. OK 03? :crazy:

jack

I think we all can agree, there needs to be some changes implemented for next season. How drastic they need to be is the big question here. I'm sure this season has been the toughest one yet for any of our coaches. You come into a season with high hopes, and a plan, only to have them both shattered. In a 3 week span, you lose half your squad to injuries, and your top recruite, since entering the HL, leaves abruptly, with no one to replace her. I feel for Freeman and all of the coaches. They were truly dealt a bad hand this year, as were the players that sucked it up, and competed, game after game. With only a 7 player rotation, they managed to bring home more "W"s then the previous 3 seasons. That's a testament to the grit of our core group. I think each and every young lady returning, who battled it out this season will be better players for what they've endured moving forward. That's a plus. Now, for the minuses. Last nights win was a great indication of our sense of urgency to make changes, and get a plan together for next year. Our 2 seniors, and stars of the night, won't be with us next year. This is a big hit, when you consider losing Ladd, and the overwhelming uncertainty surrounding the players that couldn't go this year. One of our bigger challenges, In my opinion, is to change our phylosophy on how we recruit. Granted, in a perfect world, with no injuries, or defections, I think this year's aquisitions could have helped make some noise in the HL this season. We needed to look further into the future for the group coming in next year. If my calculations are correct, with a little guess work on the current players: Our inside game will consist of Gerardot, Lange, and probably Horton. Unless someone else is waiting in the wings that hasn't come into the light, or a last minute transfer, which can't come in and help emmediately anyway, that's it. I'd like to be able to think that we'll see Calloway, and Lang, but based on what I know of their injuries, it will be something that will linger on until they hang up the shoes, and any action next year at all will be early on, and limited, until they are sidelined again. Like Gick, these things just don't go away, and a serious look needs to be in the works to see if what our options are. Jansone is a "tweener" at this point. She's between positions, and really at the prom without a date. I saw a little improvement with what limited time she was in, but it's almost like, perfectly healthy, it's hard to define a roll for her. She doesn't appear to be physical enough inside, she seems to be out of control when trying to drive to the hole, you can't call her an outside threat, and she's not nimble enough to count on her to help out with ball control. I'd have to say, barring any major leaps in the off season, she may be relogated to providing a blow to the others when needed. That leaves us with the balance of our squad, and the recruits coming in. If my math is up to snuff, we will have 7 guards on this squad next season. Seven. With the ladies we have, and one inparticular I've watched coming in, there shouldn't be any ball control issues next year. Honestly, I didn't think ball control was a major issue this season. Timmerman, Richards, and Carr did a decent job running the floor. Our shooting slumps early on, and ability to block out and get 2nd chance looks, and defensive boards probably were our achilies heel. If what I've suggested here, is the how things will shake out, then we'll need to bring someone in that understands, an knows how to implement an up tempo strategy, and figure out what to do with the players that may be returning, that wouldn't adapt well to this type of change. Our core group are up to the challenge. The physical conditioning it took to play the minutes they have this season will be a must to play up tempo. I'm sure Scott, Richarson, and Adams, if she returns, will adapt as well. I guess if they return, we'll find out how committed to the cause the remaining returners are.

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 06, 2012, 04:40:47 AMgood parting gift for Freeman.

Is this confirmed?
Quote from: setshot on March 06, 2012, 08:46:24 AM
Right on IV. The WBB program needs a transfusion of new blood. Hopefully ML will make the decision soon. OK 03? :crazy:
If not, I agree with setshot. 

Is it strange that I find myself agreeing with setshot more than once in the last few weeks?