• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Article about Coach Powell

Started by mp91, March 06, 2012, 09:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Quote from: crusaderboy on March 07, 2012, 08:41:19 AM
I think someone else brought up the possibility of Bryce leaving, not me.

The Drews are very well-connected in college athletics. Scott has already blazed a trail for Bryce to follow. And you never know what a school is going to be looking for. I would imagine Bryce is an excellent interview with an the type of profile that makes college administrators all hot and sweaty.

I didn't say necessarily it had to be a Big 6 conference, but you never know how dominos fall in the offseason. My only point is this: there is going to come a time when the university has to make additional investments in Bryce and in the program that will be mandated by a couple factors: the success Bryce has had early on, and other suitors willing to give it to him. Matt Painter was almost forced to leave Purdue last year for the same reason.
And please, I am not comparing Bryce to Painter. I am comparing scenarios.

The Homer interview documents a stated commitment to facilities -- sometime.  Since early this summer I have been posting about the dismal FB/Track/Soccer venue.  I am now joining BB posters in an effort to pressure rapid enhancement of ALL the key facilities.  Other schools seem to be able to bite the bullet and commit to solid funding programs that attract student athletes, retain them, and equally, or maybe more importantly, hold onto coaching talent.  It's the way the world is today. Valpo has to act and act very soon.  The Porter Hospital land will take years to convert between demolition and construction (and raising the funds).  I hope VU seizes the day and leverages our recent gifts - the MBB program won the HL, MSO won the HL, Baseball is facing off and is competitive against some really high powered programs (BTW did any of you check out the D-I Wofford facilities on their web site? -- 8500 seat FB stadium, marvelous BB stadium -- enrollment 1525 students) and WSB it kicking butt as well.  Build the darn track, add 2k Seats to the Brown Field stadium and renovate the press box, add chair-back seating and additional seats to the ARC (or whatever it needs) and get started ASAP. 

Bryce can then say to potential recruits (and so can WBB) -- see the university's commitment to athletics all around that enhances your overall college experience (and BTW, also check out the new BB venue -- cool, huh?);  Dale Carlson can point to a true D-1 FCS facility and Avery and Marovich as well.  And the kids who run track can FINALLY tell potential recruits -- we have a flipping track to practice on and we can even hold some home meets.

covufan

Quote from: crusader1897 on March 07, 2012, 03:00:49 PM
It's interesting that someone mentioned Bryce and Powell heading to Illinois, because I actually heard something about Scott going to Illinois, though I have no idea if there's any truth to that.
Of course there is no truth to it - there is no opening at Illinois.  Yet.  Nor would a coach about to go into the NCAA tournament even think about leaving.  Three weeks from now, speculation can lead to rumors, which might lead to reality - but not always.

covufan

Quote from: covufan on March 08, 2012, 04:00:50 PM
It's interesting that someone mentioned Bryce and Powell heading to Illinois, because I actually heard something about Scott going to Illinois, though I have no idea if there's any truth to that.
Of course there is no truth to it - there is no opening at Illinois.  Yet.  Nor would a coach about to go into the NCAA tournament even think about leaving.  Three weeks from now, speculation can lead to rumors, which might lead to reality - but not always.
Well, most of the time. I'm remembering a coach who left a good program for one in the desert, and wanted to coach in the tournament.  AD said no, and an assitant won the whole thing.  Can't remember the former coaches name?

vufan75

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 07, 2012, 08:35:55 PM
Quote from: crusaderboy on March 07, 2012, 08:41:19 AM
I think someone else brought up the possibility of Bryce leaving, not me.

The Drews are very well-connected in college athletics. Scott has already blazed a trail for Bryce to follow. And you never know what a school is going to be looking for. I would imagine Bryce is an excellent interview with an the type of profile that makes college administrators all hot and sweaty.

I didn't say necessarily it had to be a Big 6 conference, but you never know how dominos fall in the offseason. My only point is this: there is going to come a time when the university has to make additional investments in Bryce and in the program that will be mandated by a couple factors: the success Bryce has had early on, and other suitors willing to give it to him. Matt Painter was almost forced to leave Purdue last year for the same reason.
And please, I am not comparing Bryce to Painter. I am comparing scenarios.

The Homer interview documents a stated commitment to facilities -- sometime.  Since early this summer I have been posting about the dismal FB/Track/Soccer venue.  I am now joining BB posters in an effort to pressure rapid enhancement of ALL the key facilities.  Other schools seem to be able to bite the bullet and commit to solid funding programs that attract student athletes, retain them, and equally, or maybe more importantly, hold onto coaching talent.  It's the way the world is today. Valpo has to act and act very soon.  The Porter Hospital land will take years to convert between demolition and construction (and raising the funds).  I hope VU seizes the day and leverages our recent gifts - the MBB program won the HL, MSO won the HL, Baseball is facing off and is competitive against some really high powered programs (BTW did any of you check out the D-I Wofford facilities on their web site? -- 8500 seat FB stadium, marvelous BB stadium -- enrollment 1525 students) and WSB it kicking butt as well.  Build the darn track, add 2k Seats to the Brown Field stadium and renovate the press box, add chair-back seating and additional seats to the ARC (or whatever it needs) and get started ASAP. 

Bryce can then say to potential recruits (and so can WBB) -- see the university's commitment to athletics all around that enhances your overall college experience (and BTW, also check out the new BB venue -- cool, huh?);  Dale Carlson can point to a true D-1 FCS facility and Avery and Marovich as well.  And the kids who run track can FINALLY tell potential recruits -- we have a flipping track to practice on and we can even hold some home meets.

Agreed. Our coaches do an amazing job competing and winning in the HL given the facilities they have to work with compared to other HL schools.

crusaderboy

Quote from: covufan on March 08, 2012, 04:07:11 PM
Well, most of the time. I'm remembering a coach who left a good program for one in the desert, and wanted to coach in the tournament.  AD said no, and an assitant won the whole thing.  Can't remember the former coaches name?
Bill Frieder when he left Michigan for Arizona State.

covufan

Quote from: crusaderboy on March 09, 2012, 08:40:22 AM
Bill Frieder when he left Michigan for Arizona State.
That is the one.  The AD (Bo Schembechler) said he wanted a Michigan man coaching his team in the NCAA's.  Obviously, the choice of Fischer worked out for that year!

valporun

Frieder left Michigan about two weeks before the first round of the NCAA tournament, so Schembechler didn't have a lot of choice in the matter. Fischer was the interim head coach until he came home with the NCAA title with Glenn Rice, Rumeal Robinson and such.