• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3/14, 6:30CT - NIT 1st Round - (7) Valpo @ (2) Miami (FL)

Started by valpotx, March 11, 2012, 08:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpo89

milanmiracle

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 13, 2012, 03:23:54 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 12, 2012, 04:15:28 PM
mystique or no mystique,
Thank god it's not a football game. :)

Now that's a scary thought. Has there ever been a game where one team scored on every possession?
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

VUfan

govalpogo

Wasn't Rowdy sick a week ago?  What does he have!?  I wish I had confidence in this game...but I fear it could get ugly fast if the shots don't fall.

vu72

Quote from: govalpogo on March 14, 2012, 08:59:47 AM
Wasn't Rowdy sick a week ago?  What does he have!?  I wish I has confidence in this game...but I fear it could get ugly fast if the shots don't fall.

Rowdy had an undisclosed "stomach bug" which caused him to lose 3-4 lbs.  The paper this morning said he had gained it back and had been getting IVs at the hospital.  He says he'll be fine.  Matt has flu like symptoms but made the trip while Jay also has flu like symptoms and didn't go but still might fly down today.  Kevin has pain but will go.  It will be a tough matchup regardless.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusaderjoe

If Valpo is not 100% or near 100%, we have no shot IMO unless Miami plays very very average.  The best that we can hope for if we are not at full strength is that Durand Scott remains ineligible and that we catch them on an off night and steal one away.  That is a possibility as Miami is kind of an up and down team.  My guess is that there will only be a few thousand at the game tonight (maybe less) so the home court really won't be a big factor.  It'll probably be the same environment as it was at Iowa when we played them in the NIT a few years ago, so stealing one away is possible.  The question is whether we have the horses to do so if Miami comes out flat.

wh

Quote from: crusaderjoe on March 14, 2012, 09:57:39 AM
If Valpo is not 100% or near 100%, we have no shot IMO unless Miami plays very very average.  The best that we can hope for if we are not at full strength is that Durand Scott remains ineligible and that we catch them on an off night and steal one away.  That is a possibility as Miami is kind of an up and down team.  My guess is that there will only be a few thousand at the game tonight (maybe less) so the home court really won't be a big factor.  It'll probably be the same environment as it was at Iowa when we played them in the NIT a few years ago, so stealing one away is possible.  The question is whether we have the horses to do so if Miami comes out flat.

Unfortunately, we have to also hope that WE don't come out flat.  That has been a problem for us on the road both last year and this, resulting in some blowout losses to teams we should have handled.  Usually you can see the signs within the first 4-5  minutes - hesitant at both ends, letting the other team set the tempo, careless turnovers, etc.  It's a weird thing.  It almost looks like all 5 guys are trying to get the kinks out and everyone is "waiting for the game to come to them," as the expression goes.  We definitely have to have a couple of guys step up on the offensive end right from the opening tip.  We also have to hope Kevin can stay in the game and work through his pain.  If not, we're probably DOA. 

johnestuff

Quote from: agibson on March 12, 2012, 08:35:47 AM
From the beat writers today, Edwards' family hasn't been to see him play this season? 

I think I could pretty easily get behind some sort of (modest?) stipend for family travel.   I mean,  it might be for non-financial reasons that they haven't been able to make a trip to Valpo.  But...

The missus has to work today and tomorrow, but I just got home and off tomorrow (my boss is a big basketball fan!). Heading off in a few minutes after working all night. A friend is driving down so I can get some sleep.

Thanks for the thought!

John Edwards

Valpo89

If the Valpo team that beat Cleveland State 59-41 and Butler the last two games at home shows up, it will be close or even a VU win.
If the team that sucked it up at Youngstown and against Detroit shows up, it's lights out for the Crusaders.

KL31NY

Quote from: MattCarter on March 13, 2012, 01:20:17 PM
Looking like Valpo will be the walking wounded at this game.  Rowdy, Kenney, and now Jay all sick.  Lovely. 

Just noticed the health update by combing the thread and seeing NWI's gameday preview... What is going on? Three guys with the "sick bug" plus Kevin's leg issues? How are we getting this rash of health issues and how are we going to compete tonight if so many key people might not be 100%? This is tough...
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valporun

Just heard that Miami Jr. G Durand Scott has to SIT OUT 6 GAMES starting with tonight's NIT matchup against Valpo. Does this change anyone's thoughts on the game outcome, or will you wait until we know about the three flu bugs that we are uncertain about?

okinawatyphoon

We usually fall flat against big name schools, but I'm no pessimist! Go valpo!  :thumbsup:
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

okinawatyphoon

Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

valpopal

Last year Valpo wore out, had sicknesses and injuries during the end of the regular season. This year they made it to the tournament championship before wearing down, suffering illness and injury. Here is hoping that adding a couple of big men next year will help the Crusaders stay strong through the league tournament and into post-season play.

vuweathernerd

abysmal perimeter shooting. while the usually awful perimeter-shooting canes manage to shoot the lights out of the building. not having kenney and jay coming off the bench really wore on the guys, and it was evident in the last five minutes.

FWalum

Almost glad this happened in the NIT rather than against a 2 or 3 seed in the NCAA.  Hard to play anybody with only 6 guys.  Would have been a much better game is just Matt could have played.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

setshot

Six guys available to play tonight. That's a page out of Freeman's book -  6 players.Great excuse for losing: "Hell, I only had six players to work with." Give me a break. Something's wrong in Mudville cause the "mighty" Crusaders have again struck out.  >:( I'm ready for some FOOTBALL!

valpo84

Great effort by the Gang of 6, but as I texted my son -- just hate when you know you could have won that game if you had even 1 more healthy guard. I also wish Boggs and Bogan could have found their shots as the 3-point looks were OPEN. Ryan looked gassed as did most of them, but Rowdy and Richie (ANZConnection) had terrific games. Hopefully, they learned they can play with and know that they can win games like this. Understand they didn't finish, but even down 12 and Paul Oren calling them done on his twitter, they cut it to 3 before the wagon hit the wall. All in all, the program is on the right path, Bryce did a wonderful job this year, and we have the core back plus Bobby and Fernandez. Should be fun next Fall.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Pgmado

I just couldn't believe the change of events when Edwards went for the dunk, missed it and Miami answered with two 3-pointers. I called the game at that point simply because if those types of plays are happening, it's not your night. Valiant effort. One more guard, either Kenney or Harris, and this game is different. If Bogan's 3-pointer goes down at 54-50, different outcome in my mind.

valpopal

Quote from: Pgmado on March 14, 2012, 11:07:41 PM
One more guard, either Kenney or Harris, and this game is different.

This begs the question that should have been answered by now and needs to be addressed before next year: What is the deal with Kurth?

valpotx

Yes, that swing of Richie missing the dunk, to the other end of the court getting 6 quick points could have been a dagger.  I was very impressed that we got it back to 4 with 4:30 left, we just didn't have anything left in the tank.  As I mentioned on the chat, we need some of our guards to really work on their passing this offseason.  Jumping in the air without knowing where you might be able to pass is a terrible basketball move, and all too common for us this season.  It will be interesting to see how Bryce manages playing time next year, but it is dependent on who comes back.  I can't see anyone from the rotation leaving for another program at this point in their careers, but I have been surprised before.  What about Kurth and Vucic though?  Are they ok to be a Phil Wille and Jason Hawkins?
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

So what is up with the attendance?  1227?? If Miami had come to the ARC the place would be packed or close to it.  I understand the higher seeds getting the home game but perhaps an attendance requirement? Say, 2000??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on March 15, 2012, 09:46:27 AMIf Miami had come to the ARC the place would be packed or close to it.

How was the place for Iona last year?  A quality mid-major?

Butler's home crowd for Delaware was the lowest in... more than 5 years?

Heck of a tough game to win with only six players.  Amazingly close, considering that.  You were left wondering, "Why do we keep taking these threes?", and "Can't we put somebody in, just anybody, to give these guys a break?"   But, presumably that's why Bryce gets paid the big bucks.  Would Edwards have been smashed down low, if we'd tried to develop a more aggressive inside game?  Maybe.  Would Vucic and Shelton have had their lunch handed to them?  Maybe.

It would be nice to win one of these games sometime!  But, a quality season.  A lot more than anyone expected.  Looking forward to next year, for sure.

Now, the league's down to Butler and Detroit, for 2012.

valpotx

Quote from: agibson on March 15, 2012, 10:20:54 AM
Quote from: vu72 on March 15, 2012, 09:46:27 AMIf Miami had come to the ARC the place would be packed or close to it.

Heck of a tough game to win with only six players.  Amazingly close, considering that.  You were left wondering, "Why do we keep taking these threes?", and "Can't we put somebody in, just anybody, to give these guys a break?"   But, presumably that's why Bryce gets paid the big bucks.  Would Edwards have been smashed down low, if we'd tried to develop a more aggressive inside game?  Maybe.  Would Vucic and Shelton have had their lunch handed to them?  Maybe.

It would be nice to win one of these games sometime!  But, a quality season.  A lot more than anyone expected.  Looking forward to next year, for sure.

See Washington in the CBI a few years back, where Bouchie dominated an NBA-bound Brockman  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: agibson on March 15, 2012, 10:20:54 AM

The box score shows attendance at the Iona game was 1482.  But, that was Iona, a good mid-major but hardly a household name in NW Indiana.  I think getting an ACC team to the ARC, regardless of the tournament, would certainly draw more, I'm guessing at least 3500.  Oh well...